Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Pipmae

wandererz wrote: »
    Will PM you the code as I think it can only be used a few times per week.

Oh me please as well - I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

Pipmae wrote: »
    Oh me please as well - I'd really appreciate it.

Will do, but I noticed that almost all stock is now showing as unavailable except for one model.

Hopefully they will have more stock available soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Does anyone regret forking out so much money on a pizza oven? We are really tempted with the Karu, but it's a lot of money! We do make pizza regularly enough and also BBQ pretty often during the summer, so at least we have a track record of both making pizza and outdoor cooking.

scarepanda wrote: »
    Does anyone regret forking out so much money on a pizza oven? We are really tempted with the Karu, but it's a lot of money! We do make pizza regularly enough and also BBQ pretty often during the summer, so at least we have a track record of both making pizza and outdoor cooking.

My justification is that for every pizza order I place on Just Eat or Pizza Hut I spend about €25 minimum.
    So this pays itself off after 10 or so pizzas.

I've also been making pizzas in my regular oven which goes to 300C and although I like it, it can be better.

There's a definite difference to a delivered pizza compared to one freshly made in a "proper" pizza oven as you would get in an Italian restaurant.
    This is as close as it gets to that experience (and you can repeat it).

€300 for a new xbox or €300 for a new pizza oven for the family....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I like your justification ;-)

We'd spend €20 on a take out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pete123456 wrote: »
    This is really useful because most longer prove time recipes call for minute quantities of instant yeast
    Only the really small "drug dealer" scales will weigh a gram or so accurately.

If you need 1g of yeast, you can weigh out 8g, then divide in half to get 4g, half again 2g, half again to get your 1g. Now you might have a tiny spoon and pour this onto it and be able to remember what it looks like on that exact spoon, or take a photo on your phone maybe with 1g written on paper beside it. Or you might find some small plastic container and be able to cut it down to size so it just fits it. I do this for portions of rice but obviously 1g would need a very small container.

Most of those sachets are 7g which is close enough to the 8g to be able to do the division trick, just add a tad more at the end.

You can test a scale with coins
    EUR 2 8.50g
    EUR 1 7.50g
    50 cent 7.80g
    20 cent 5.74g
    10 cent 4.10g
    5 cent 3.92g
    2 cent 3.06g
    1 cent 2.30g

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

rubadub wrote: »
    Only the really small "drug dealer" scales will weigh a gram or so accurately.

If you need 1g of yeast, you can weigh out 8g, then divide in half to get 4g, half again 2g, half again to get your 1g. Now you might have a tiny spoon and pour this onto it and be able to remember what it looks like on that exact spoon, or take a photo on your phone maybe with 1g written on paper beside it. Or you might find some small plastic container and be able to cut it down to size so it just fits it. I do this for portions of rice but obviously 1g would need a very small container.

Most of those sachets are 7g which is close enough to the 8g to be able to do the division trick, just add a tad more at the end.

You can test a scale with coins
    EUR 2 8.50g
    EUR 1 7.50g
    50 cent 7.80g
    20 cent 5.74g
    10 cent 4.10g
    5 cent 3.92g
    2 cent 3.06g
    1 cent 2.30g

Yeah i get you - I mean the Ooni scales has two platforms - a small one from 0.1g up to 200g and then 1g to 10kg on the large platform. I assume it’s decent for fifty squids though! https://uk.ooni.com/products/ooni-dual-platform-digital-scales

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Yeah i get you - I mean the Ooni scales has two platforms
    that's clever, never saw a scales like that before.

Its on amazon with free delivery to here.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ooni-Dual-Platform-Digital-Scales/dp/B0821MGHM2/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=dual+scales&qid=1587910013&sr=8-6

they have a cheaper one but it does not ship here, possibly because of the battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylor-Digital-Platform-Stainless-Capacity/dp/B083GCMQ45/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=dual+scales&qid=1587910013&sr=8-4

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Is there a 20 percent code available, or is it 1 time use only ?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Looks like 37mBar Koda is back in stock.
    I went for Koda 16 will see how long it will take to arrive.
    We do pizzas almost every Sunday so it should see good use and also planning to use it for other stuff also.
    Here is one did earlier today using cast iron pan method. It's a sourdough base.
    pizza.jpg
    I hope Koda will speed up and simplify the whole baking process.

• Advertisement

Hi wandererz
    Might you be able to PM the code ?
    Thanks for mentioning it
    wandererz wrote: »
    I just ordered an Ooni Koda.
    It shows up as unavailable on the EU store but is available on the UK store ;249.
    I used a code for 20% off that brought it down to to £199 with shipping to parcel motel NI.
    Paid by Revolut = €229.
    That's a €50 saving off the EU price. Parcel motel can deliver to my home address for about €10 so still saving €40.

Will PM you the code as I think it can only be used a few times per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

scarepanda wrote: »

Yeah it is a fair wedge of cash, I was lucky to get mine for 150 brand new and unused from a seller on Adverts who got it as a wedding present and didnt want it. At the time I wouldnt have stretched to the 225 it cost from Ooni but now having had it a year I do think it is worth it, especially in the long term. Id hope they last for years with perhaps only the baking stone needing replacement at some stage down the road so for me it is going to get a lot of use.

If you're already making pizza pretty regular and you like outdoor cooking I think its a good investment. You just gotta hold your nose at the initial cost but after you've used it a dozen times you'll see its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Can't get my hands dry yeast anywhere, is the fresh stuff hard to work with and does it last long in the fridge once opened?

Managed up pick up some semolina flour today but it looks quite fine, is it just flour for pasta? I was expecting it to be coarser. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Coral_16

Hi wandererz
    Would you mind sending on that discount code? They've gone from sold out to pre-order now so I'm very tempted. Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Hi All,

Here is a link to get 10%... not as good as 20, but it is what it is!

http://oonieurope.refr.cc/pete234567

(I get 10% off my next order when I refer someone... have two already :) - probably years before I make two more orders...)

Coral_16 wrote: »
    Hi wandererz
    Would you mind sending on that discount code? They've gone from sold out to pre-order now so I'm very tempted. Thanks so much!

PM'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

maximo31 wrote: »
    So from reading on here , here is a list of items one needs for the ideal pizza set up :
    Pizza oven - Ooni seems the oven of choice
    Wooden pizza peel - for loading the pizza in to the oven,
    Metal pizza peel - for turning and removing the pizza from the oven,
    00 flour - for making the best pizza dough,
    Semolina - underneath the pizza on the peel for ease of movement,
    Outdoor table - for placing the oven on,
    Laser Thermometer - for checking correct temperatures have been reached,
    Plastic container - for storing the pizza dough balls,
    Propane gas – comes in red bottle , required for Ooni oven,
    Wood pellets - for the wood fired pizza oven,
    Griddle pan / cast iron skillet – for cooking steak , veg ,etc.
    Proper oven gloves - very handy if using skillet.
    Decent weighing scales - for getting accurate weight of yeast.
    I may have forgotten a few things so please add to the list if you have any suggestions.

Wooden pizza peel - for loading the pizza in to the oven.
    Semolina - underneath the pizza on the peel for ease of movement.

Just picked out these as I disagree with the need for extra peels or semolina (although it's a common point of discussion on the groups)

I just use a little flour on the peel - My process is 1 - Make the pizza off the peel - dust the peel in a little flour - Move the pizza to the peel and stretch it to the dimensions of the peel - give it a little shake to ensure it moves and get to the oven as soon as possible.

Making you pizza on the peel causes the dough to sweat and that is what will cause it to stick.

As Ooni are out of stock on pizza peels, I took to Amazon... I realise I dont want one wider than 305mm (the width of the ooni 12" peel), but does anyone have any experience with either metal or wooden with the Koda? Any recommendations for non-Ooni branded peels for the Koda?
    Was looking at various bamboo or acacia ones so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

fmul9798 wrote: »
    As Ooni are out of stock on pizza peels, I took to Amazon... I realise I dont want one wider than 305mm (the width of the ooni 12" peel), but does anyone have any experience with either metal or wooden with the Koda? Any recommendations for non-Ooni branded peels for the Koda?
    Was looking at various bamboo or acacia ones so far..

https://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-pizza-peel-small/f037

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nisbets had a huge range of peels when I got mine. Metal, don't see the idea of using two types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Pizza stones in lidl from Sunday... lost with days Thursday

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-bbq/pizza-stone/p40942

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Quick question, what kind of gas tank do you use on one of these, how much does one cost and how many pizzas would one tank be capable of cooking . Cheers. Thinking about getting an ooni but unsure about the gas part.

padair wrote: »
    Quick question, what kind of gas tank do you use on one of these, how much does one cost and how many pizzas would one tank be capable of cooking . Cheers. Thinking about getting an ooni but unsure about the gas part.

Here's some answers I found:
    Q: How many pizzas can I bake with a 10kg gas cylinder?
    A: Ooni Koda will burn through approximately 1kg of gas per hour - that's a lot of 60 second pizza!

Cost:
    Here's an example of a small 9kg propane cylinder for €25.
    Check the price at your local petrol station if they sell gas.
    http://www.thegasman.ie/propane-cylinders/9kg-propane-gas-cylinder.441.html

The regulator is the quick release type that fits onto patio gas cans.

So, 4 pizzas per kg X 9 = 36
    Allowing for 15mins per pizza including heat up time.
    Probably around 33-35 pizzas with a bit of wastage.
    That's around 76 cent or less per pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Pulled the trigger on this, not sure why. Thanks for the voucher. I like the portability of it.

Went with the Wood pellet version.

Where can one get wood pellets in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

I also have a 10% off referral link if anyone wants it. Please PM if interested.

GONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Pulled the trigger on this, not sure why. Thanks for the voucher. I like the portability of it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110767493&postcount=174

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

Anyone a spare voucher guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

GY A1 wrote: »
    Anyone a spare voucher guys
    Referral link sent by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

As GrumpyMe linked Woodies stock them, the brand is Staffords and it is 15kg so will last you ages, only 9.99 too.

Im not sure where might be open that has them though, maybe ring your local fuel merchants and ask because they should be still open for home heating. The pellets themselves are sold for pellet stoves but do fine being used in the Ooni, they get up to about 460 degrees C in the Ooni so theres plenty of heat in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Wasn't sure what everyone was ranting and raving about with that Ooni, but just watched an unboxing video there of 16 very impressive 90 seconds for a steaming pizza! How are the smaller ones? Definitely worth investing in.

Advertisement