Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭M00lers

I'll have a closer look at manual later but it only says LPG, doesn't specify between Butane and Propane, I suppose the butane regulator is maybe what is intented to be used!!

Doing a quick test and burning off manufacturing funk and definitely hits 400C in 15mins ish. Temp still rising on a slightly breezy evening.

Edit....very close to 450 after 25mins .

Hit 450 a few minutes later....have to go out for the evening but I'm calling it hot enough.

Post edited by M00lers on

Pic

of Pizza oven thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Good stuff. Were you able to test the stone temperature with a thermometer gun by any chance?

Yeah, was not too far away from oven temp reading. Maybe 10,20 30c degress less. Was seeing 420, 440 and more.

Well that was a learning experience!!! Complete opposite of what people thought would be the issue…..I struggled to tame the heat of this yolk. Cannot take your eye of it for a second. Cooked 6 pizzas tonight with various degrees of success but can see myself getting better over time.

i need to invest in a turning peel and a different paddle for launching..

Space is definitely tight, 11" might be the way to go. Cannot fault it for the asking price…..pic below is not a perfect result but I'm sure people are interested in seeing what a 90 euro Lidl jobbie can do.

Post edited by M00lers on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭squonk

Nothing wrong with that pizza. Looks tasty! Delighted it worked out well for you. €90 is a good price and, to be fair, unless you’re making pizzas every weekend, a few hundred tops might be as much worth spending. You have plenty left over for accessories and alibaba will cover peels etc as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Thanks, was an eye opening evening. I can see why a bigger oven would be useful.

I struggled with a few things that could probably be rectified with appropriate tools and experience.

A turning turning peel for sure would have helped control the cook. At times I was trying to remove pizza to turn it and hadn't the right tool for the job. Pulling it out and turning by hand wasn't much fun.

A turning peel would have have helped massively also to raise the pizza closer to the "roof" to help finish the centre.

Base was "perfectly" cooked but happened before centre was where I'd like it to be.

A bit of tweaking to my technique and workflow and I've no doubt this cheap oven will more than suffice. Gets crazy hot very quickly….no exaggeration!

Can't believe being too hot is an issue I'm having, pizza was cooking in what felt like seconds…. (Again I'm confident experience and a few accessories will resolve issues) didn't actually time anything, didn't have time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

thanks M00lers, picked one up earlier this evening on the back of this post, and your further posts and results are encouraging!

Good luck dude. Definitely a challenge but doable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

don’t waste money on turning peel. Tiny bit off practice and it will be easy pull it out with normal peel for a twist..

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I dunno, I love my turning peel. It's nice to be able to turn the pizza without removing it from the over at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I have one too and would have to agree with this post. A 12 inch oven with 11/12inch pizzas is too awkward to use the turning peel. I got the hang of it after a while but rarely use it now

I use a wooden one for launching and a metal one for taking it out to turn and for retrieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Turning peel is great, i was taking the pizza out to turn it before I got one. Got mine in Lidl so it was cheap anyway. Still regret not getting the perforated peel at the time.

tried it out today - lets just say practice will make perfect eventually.

15 mins to 350c, 23 to 400c

400c is too high for dunnes pre-prepped pizzas, and they're possibly an inch too big for it.

reduced heat to 300c for the third one, that seems to be the sweet spot.

still hard to keep up with 15 second turning though - maybe using the launch, out-turn-back in might be better and cook it over 2 rather than 1 minute.

still tasted better than from normal oven (after cutting off the burndy outer rim!)

We had pizzas both days over the weekend. First lot for yesterday were cold proofed for 4 days in the fridge like i usually do and 4 hours at room temp. Second lot were done on a whim this morning with a lot more yeast and just a 5 hour room temp proof. My first time doing it this way. The difference was unreal. The crust was a lot more bready/chewy and very little colour or leoparding. The base didn't taste any different tho.

It's handy to know I can do it that way and get decent results but if I can, I'll always do a much longer proof as you could literally taste and see the difference with the crust.

Odlums 00 is back at €2 in Dunnes..works out 1.6 with shopping vouchers

Overfermented by sourdough loaf..so pizzas were made out of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Looks like Lidl have some peels again, but no perforated ones this time. At 9.99, they're a bargain.

They are fine barring long handles(you can always shorten them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

They have one with a shorter handle that can be twisted out of the way for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Daeltaja

Damn, I got a bag for €2.99 in Supervalu yesterday as they were out of 5 Stagioni/Caputo, which are a euro less :(

On the subject of turning peels, I'd be lost without my Gozney peel. Ooni stones can get very hot and unpredictable, so after the first 20-30 sec of sitting still, I constantly rotate the pizza and lift it off the stone to stop it burning. I also find that you need to be really delicate with lifting the edge of pizza before to the first turn to ensure the whole base is cooked, otherwise you risk a nasty tear if the middle isn't ready! It's more work to manage the pizza, but I've found after 4 years of making them with various Oonis, it's required for consistency sake. I also had a biscotto stone for the Koda 12, which was an absolute game-changer, impossible to burn the base. Waiting for stock to come back in for the Karu.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Just bought the lidl gas one,based off the last comments, hit 320 after 10 mins and still going . just turned it on to burn off the new packaging smell etc. Will try it out properly tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Interesting one on the Ooni today. Cold chip shop chips. A couple of minutes and they are nicely charred and crispy.

What’s left…….

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭hargo

First attempt with a sour dough pizza. Very pleased the flavour of the dough.

That looks lovely, did you do the whole sourdough starter from scratch? I keep telling myself I'll try it but I'm not sure it's worth all the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭hargo

Very easy in the end. My son has a sourdough that he made a few years ago and he gave me about a shot glass amount which i brought over from London. Wasn't expecting it to work but i fed it twice and left it in the fridge "asleep" for two months. When I took it out it didn't look great but smelled ok so fed it a twice and it just took off. Kept some back for next time and used the remainder like a poolish and it worked really well. So now I have a constant supply of yeast.

As far as I know my son just left some flour and water mix out for a few days and it took off slowly but once you have a starter it seems easy to keep it.

Advertisement