Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

wandererz wrote: »
    All current orders (after the 26th) are expected mid July.
    :eek: :(
    Where you got that info from? I have not received any emails. I've ordered mine on 25th...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Cooked hake on the Koda last night. Delicious! Really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

reklamos wrote: »
    Where you got that info from? I have not received any emails. I've ordered mine on 25th...

From their confirmation email to me this morning.......

Please note that due to a combination of increased demand and Covid-19 related shipping delays, it will take us up to three weeks to dispatch your order. Once your order leaves our warehouse, shipping time may be up to 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Can you burn any type of wood in the ooni pro? I can easily get my hands on the cheapo kindling you buy in the orange net in the hardware. Will that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Made sourdough naan this afternoon and was delish! Also made sourdough bagels but have some work to do there... getting the centre cooked is more difficult than I thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Can you burn any type of wood in the ooni pro? I can easily get my hands on the cheapo kindling you buy in the orange net in the hardware. Will that work?

I only have an ooni 3, but I did a trial burn of that cheapo kindling in it one time, and it got up to temperature well. However, you're bound to get higher (and more sustained) temperatures from good dry hard wood (the kindling in those orange nets is generally soft wood if I'm not mistaken). I've seen people on the ooni facebook community talking about using a combination of wood and lump charcoal for best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah would imagine soft wood kindling would burn very quickly in it. Its tricky to get hardwood in Ireland in small quantites, the bags of logs on sale at petrol stations are generally softwood and burn very quickly. Tesco did have bags of kiln dried hardwood by Zip a few weeks back (6.99 a bag) but not sure if they're still for sale now that the heating season is over.

There is also that UK website posted a few pages back, they sell all kinds of hardwoods for BBQ, cherry, hickory, oak, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

You could look for kiln dried logs in any co-op or hardware place (when they re-open). A few whaks of a hatchet and boom, hard wood kindling! Cut a few thin slivers to get it going if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Alkers wrote: »
    I have a 10% referral link if anyone wants it.

Have you still got this referral link?

Pipmae wrote: »
    Have you still got this referral link?

Here ye go: http://oonieurope.refr.cc/pete234567

But if it’s your first order, I believe PIZZAISLOVELY gets you 20%

On a side note, I see the koda now ships late august??? That’s nuts!

• Advertisement

Ooni pro arrived today! Wohoo! Still awaiting my delivery of firewood though 😩

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just fired up the Koda for the first time to season the stone. Set up took seconds, but it needs 30 minutes on full heat first before it can be used for cooking. Looking forward to actually using it tomorrow.

Zaph wrote: »
    Just fired up the Koda for the first time to season the stone. Set up took seconds, but it needs 30 minutes on full heat first before it can be used for cooking. Looking forward to actually using it tomorrow.

Used mine yet again this evening, I’m still waiting on my IR thermometer, but depending on how sheltered your area is, I would let it heat up for 20 or 25 mins on full and then drop by a few notches just before launching :)

Ooni pro arrived today! Wohoo! Still awaiting my delivery of firewood though ��

I’d love a pro, but I just don’t need it for the two of us...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Used mine yet again this evening, I’m still waiting on my IR thermometer, but depending on how sheltered your area is, I would let it heat up for 20 or 25 mins on full and then drop by a few notches just before launching :)

Good to know, thanks. We have an IR thermometer that we've used on the Ooni 2, but when I dug it out the other day I discovered that it no longer works, so there'll be a bit of guesswork for the time being until we get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Here ye go: http://oonieurope.refr.cc/pete234567

But if it’s your first order, I believe PIZZAISLOVELY gets you 20%

On a side note, I see the koda now ships late august??? That’s nuts!

August is kinda putting me off it

August is kinda putting me off it

Don’t really blame you, it’s definitely available in other places much quicker. There are a lot of people on the UK and Ireland FB page complaining about long lead times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

We have been using a Roccbox very regularly for a few years. It turns out top quality results every time. Heats up quickly, easy to clean and stores easily. Once it reaches temperature It maintains it and you can crank out pizza after pizza with no delay. It’s duel fuel but to be honest we use the gas all the time - tried wood once and it was much more time consuming, more difficult to regulate, no difference in the outcome (flavour) and just one more variable to be managed. The build quality is exceptional and it is definitely made to last. Points to be aware of (not really cons) are the weight and the price, both of which are a factor of the build quality. Highly recommended.

I’d love a pro, but I just don’t need it for the two of us...

Same here. Like pretty much everything I own, I really dont need it...but I like having it.. I’ve had the uuni 2 for years so its a great upgrade.

What do you think of it?

If this is against charter let me know and I'll delete....

There is a Koda for sale in Clontarf (Dublin )

• Advertisement

Same here. Like pretty much everything I own, I really dont need it...but I like having it.. I’ve had the uuni 2 for years so its a great upgrade.

What do you think of it?

I don’t have one, but I love the koda so far! :D

I don’t have one, but I love the koda so far! :D

Sorry misread your initial post!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I've pre-ordered the Ooni Karu, says it'll be shipped late June. It's a hell of a rabbit hole to go down when you start reading up on the perfect dough recipes and sourdough starters and cold proving! Looking forward to it though. I have an infrared thermometer and a metal peel ordered from Ali Express. Every forum I read though people are saying you need a wooden peel for launching the pizza and the metal one for turning it. Is that the general consensus here too?
    Also, what kind of surface to people put their ovens on? Do they get very hot underneath? I have a metal Ikea patio table I'm hoping will be OK to put it on.

Bassfish wrote: »
    I've pre-ordered the Ooni Karu, says it'll be shipped late June. It's a hell of a rabbit hole to go down when you start reading up on the perfect dough recipes and sourdough starters and cold proving! Looking forward to it though. I have an infrared thermometer and a metal peel ordered from Ali Express. Every forum I read though people are saying you need a wooden peel for launching the pizza and the metal one for turning it. Is that the general consensus here too?
    Also, what kind of surface to people put their ovens on? Do they get very hot underneath? I have a metal Ikea patio table I'm hoping will be OK to put it on.

It is fun, but sometimes i get impatient waiting for doughs so I usually stagger them over a few days to try different pizzas without having loads at once.

You don’t need both. Nice to have, but not essential. I have a solid metal peel and it’s grand with a bit of semolina for everything. Wood is apparently very good for launching, but that or serving is all it’s good for really. A perforated peel is the middle ground it seems but they’re generally pricey.

I can only speak for the koda, but no heat at all gets to the table. It also cools quite quickly after turning off which is convenient for moving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

If this is against charter let me know and I'll delete....

There is a Koda for sale in Clontarf (Dublin )

Do you have details?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

OK found it on adverts.

donalh087 wrote: »
    OK found it on adverts.

Ah ,sorry....didn't realize I forgot to put up the link!!

https://touch.adverts.ie/other-home-garden/ooni-koda-pizza-oven-gas-powered/20297094

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have dough cold fermenting in the fridge since Wednesday for later. Don't have an oven so I do mine straight on the barbie, the char you get is amazing. You do have to be careful about toppings with no upper heat source but I have it down to a fine art at this stage.

Cracking day for it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I have dough cold fermenting in the fridge since Wednesday for later. Don't have an oven so I do mine straight on the barbie, the char you get is amazing. You do have to be careful about toppings with no upper heat source but I have it down to a fine art at this stage.

Cracking day for it too!

Stick it under a hot grill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was reading how some prefer metal "pizza stones" rather than stone ones.

I had tried putting pizza in a preheated cast iron pan before and it was hard to get in and out, but then thought if it was flipped upside down it would be like a stone with no edges on the pan to deal with. Sure enough people do it.
    https://www.chowhound.com/post/pizza-upside-cast-iron-skillet-601723
    But as it is round and relatively small it could be very difficult to get a large pizza to come off a peel and sit perfectly on the upturned pan.

I have a frozen commercial pizza defrosting that I am going to do on an upturned pan under a grill.

If using fresh dough if you had one of those fancy peels with a flexible roller thing it might work. I reckon I could make one.
    Super+Peel+Pic.jpg?format=1500w

Advertisement