Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Stick it under a hot grill?

Doesn't need it. Base on BBQ for a couple of minutes til bubbles start to form in dough, flip it over, top the cooked side, give it another few minutes, bob's yer uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If this is against charter let me know and I'll delete....

There is a Koda for sale in Clontarf (Dublin )

Got it! ;)

AND managed to get 3 bags of 00 flour in Nolans. :):):)

I'm going to cancel the one I've ordered from Ooni on Monday (due for delivery end of May/beginning of June). Before then, if anyone wants it, drop me a PM. Cost price €230. Collect from Dublin 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Koda arrived today, very well put together and bigger than I had expected. Does anyone know what the small telescopic handle type thing is that arrived with the regulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Alkers wrote: »
    Koda arrived today, very well put together and bigger than I had expected. Does anyone know what the small telescopic handle type thing is that arrived with the regulator?

It’s a match holder to be able to light the burner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

I'm going to cancel the one I've ordered from Ooni on Monday (due for delivery end of May/beginning of June). Before then, if anyone wants it, drop me a PM. Cost price €230. Collect from Dublin 3.

I would deffo be in the market for it. Do you know is there any chance of changing the delivery address to Kinsale?

• Advertisement

donalh087 wrote: »
    I would deffo be in the market for it. Do you know is there any chance of changing the delivery address to Kinsale?

Considering it takes them weeks to dispatch I should hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Made an absolute tits of my first one!!

Lessons learned...

1. Oven was too hot at over 500 deg C
    2. I need a wooden peel... (that’s what happened!)
    3. I need to learn how to stretch dough properly!

Got a decent one shown by cheating, rolling pin and parbaked.. But this rolls all the air out of the dough so it wasn’t ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

Slowly getting there with the accessories:

Got 2 peels delivered for €35 with parcel motel:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Traditional-Wooden-Bamboo-Pizza-Peel-Spatula-Paddle-12-x-13/202727553489?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Dough board to keep it a little less messy!
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wooden-Pastry-Board-Big-70-cm-Large-Chopping-Cutting-Meat-Pizza-Baking-Kitchen/282966853404?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IR thermometer - reasonable price but will be awhile before it arrives
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/LCD-Non-Contact-IR-Laser-UA6830B-Gun-multipoint-indication-measurement-area/273235871854?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

In the market for the below if anyoen has any suggestions:
    - Dough box for proving dough balls
    - Mixing bowl with silicon lids for first prove
    - Precision scales

Not sure if are any other must haves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

The Ooni Enthusiasts FB page recommend this one earlier in the week: -

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/kitchenware-tableware/pdp/taylor-digital-kitchen-scale-plnh1009.html?fbclid=IwAR0PljvbyJ0YgABuBbP5lZFyYIZdL7Q4-pdeHVNwwr87Z93i5WgqUc_u9n0

I bought the Ooni branded one - it's enroute. I had a 20% discount code and I needed a digital scales for general baking use so I just got it. That was before the one I linked was recommended.

My question - do you need a thermometer with a Koda Gas or are they mainly used with the wood fired ones?

Pipmae wrote: »
    The Ooni Enthusiasts FB page recommend this one earlier in the week: -

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/kitchenware-tableware/pdp/taylor-digital-kitchen-scale-plnh1009.html?fbclid=IwAR0PljvbyJ0YgABuBbP5lZFyYIZdL7Q4-pdeHVNwwr87Z93i5WgqUc_u9n0

I bought the Ooni branded one - it's enroute. I had a 20% discount code and I needed a digital scales for general baking use so I just got it. That was before the one I linked was recommended.

My question - do you need a thermometer with a Koda Gas or are they mainly used with the wood fired ones?

I have a koda and my IR thermometer is en route - I think it’ll be useful for knowing the stone has got to 430 ish and is not too hot, and also if you wanted to cook other things like naan or bagels

• Advertisement

Made an absolute tits of my first one!!

Lessons learned...

1. Oven was too hot at over 500 deg C
    2. I need a wooden peel... (that’s what happened!)
    3. I need to learn how to stretch dough properly!

Got a decent one shown by cheating, rolling pin and parbaked.. But this rolls all the air out of the dough so it wasn’t ideal

Fair play though, practice makes perfect. I’ve found semolina is useful with a metal peel put a dusting on, lay your stretched dough on, give a shake every 20 seconds while topping. Also top and launch without waiting too long, as the dough will sweat and then be more inclined to stick.

On the other hand, too much semolina will ignite on launch and possibly char your crust. I get my dough on the peel and just before I launch, gently blow off excess. Be careful when blowing though because you can create a hovercraft effect and potentially blow your pizza off your peel!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Fair play though, practice makes perfect. I’ve found semolina is useful with a metal peel put a dusting on, lay your stretched dough on, give a shake every 20 seconds while topping. Also top and launch without waiting too long, as the dough will sweat and then be more inclined to stick.

On the other hand, too much semolina will ignite on launch and possibly char your crust. I get my dough on the peel and just before I launch, gently blow off excess. Be careful when blowing though because you can create a hovercraft effect and potentially blow your pizza off your peel!

This exactly! Have 2 metal Ooni peels that I use when cooking and have no problem launching if you follow this advice.Havent been able to get semolina either so just dusting with 00.

Thanks, yeah I can’t get semolina or 00 anywhere. So for now I’m stuck with strong bread flour.

Also...can anyone tell me the best way to clean the stone after welding my first attempt to it?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Thanks, yeah I can’t get semolina or 00 anywhere. So for now I’m stuck with strong bread flour.

Also...can anyone tell me the best way to clean the stone after welding my first attempt to it?!!

I have the Ooni3 and I just turn it over after every cook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

There is tonnes of semolina in my local Centra (East Meath). I can post it (at cost) if anyone is desperate enough....

Got it! ;)

AND managed to get 3 bags of 00 flour in Nolans. :):):)

It’s reserved thanks. No more pm’s please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I did my defrosted thin supermarket pizza on my upturned cast iron pan under the grill, I left it under the grill for about 15mins before cooking. It was well browned in 2mins, and took it out after 2min 30sec. Was very nice. I will try with some dough if I can get the flour. I see some heat the pans on the hob beforehand.

I think the cast iron would need a bit longer to reach full temp. At some future date I can borrow a infrared thermometer. It was probably an inch and a half away from the grill elements.

In my searches I found this, it is pretty expensive.

No idea how good it would be but an interesting concept, also it has other uses, like just use as a cast iron pan on the hob or BBQ which is great for smashburgers or searing steak etc. I do not like the idea of single use items. Some might already have 2 cast iron pans to try this with, or it could be a more common non stick pan on the bottom that you put the base on, and have the heavy energy dense roaring hot cast iron pan placed on top.

http://www.ironate.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Took delivery of my Koda during the week and it got its first outing on Thursday.

One pizza disaster that has led to the front of the stone looking like a charred mess. How do I clean this, or does it just burn off?

Also, am having difficulty stretching the dough. Am getting nowhere near the measurements suggested by the recipe, and ending up with a thick crust. Guess it needs more practice.

Also, do others add the toppings to the pizza when it is already on the peel? I tried to make it on the kitchen counter and pick it up with the peel, but this isn't easy!

Peckham wrote: »
    Took delivery of my Koda during the week and it got its first outing on Thursday.

One pizza disaster that has led to the front of the stone looking like a charred mess. How do I clean this, or does it just burn off?

Also, am having difficulty stretching the dough. Am getting nowhere near the measurements suggested by the recipe, and ending up with a thick crust. Guess it needs more practice.

Also, do others add the toppings to the pizza when it is already on the peel? I tried to make it on the kitchen counter and pick it up with the peel, but this isn't easy!

Check out this calculator. Water quantity depends on desired pizza type and flour type. I add toppings on the peel...but read my earlier post.. I welded mine to the stone as well - so what do I know!! :D

https://www.stadlermade.com/pizza-dough-calculator/

According to the manual. To clean the stone just turn it over in the oven and the heat cleans it. If you do want to wash it, I’d just use water and a metal scouring pad. They say to dry it in a warm oven for two hours.

I’ve got a pizza stone I use for my normal oven. It’s lasted years, thankfully, and it’s now completely black. I wouldn’t worry about yours. Charring means you’re using it!

I haven’t tried out their dough recipe yet. The ball sizes, 160g, do seem small compared to my usual pizza dough ball which can be up to 300g. I normally use a floured rolling pin to flatten mine but I’m going to have to start practicing by hand.

Yes, I put the dough on the peel and then add the toppings. Remember with pizza - wet is bad. Your pizza sauce should be reduced to get as much water out as possible and use sparingly. I try and just add a tablespoon of sauce to a 12” pizza.

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Yes, I put the dough on the peel and then add the toppings. Remember with pizza - wet is bad. Your pizza sauce should be reduced to get as much water out as possible and use sparingly. I try and just add a tablespoon of sauce to a 12†pizza.

Ah, hadn't considered that the sauce could be part of the problem.

So do you do steps in following order?
    1. Make base
    2. Slide onto peel
    3. Add sauce and toppings

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I can see myself just making a batch of dough to practice with before I risk ruining pizzas! Although as my buddy said, If the launch goes wrong, Boom...... Calzone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Regarding the sauce, I much prefer uncooked ones, the flavour is far better imo. Just blitz a tin of whole plum tomatoes (leave the juice out, otherwise it'll be too watery - make a bloody mary with it!) with a large clove of garlic and a red chilli, season with plenty of oregano, salt and pepper and a good pinch of sugar and leave to let the flavours infuse at room temp while your dough is proving.

I have a batch of this and cold-fermented dough already formed into balls ready to go down to my sister as a gift today, she just got out of hospital yesterday. Her boyfriend bought the Aldi BBQ pizza oven the other week but has been besmirching it with store bought bases.

It’s been said, but just rotate and flip it, most of the char should turn to ash, and if you want then you can brush it off once cold. Be careful not to leave bristles or especially wire bristles on the stone, but I find some times you need to brush it off just so some of it doesn’t stick to the dough the next time you flip it.

I find centra and supervalu usually always have semolina
    FCB1899 wrote: »
    I have the Ooni3 and I just turn it over after every cook

This.

It should burn off, assuming you heat up for more than 20mins on full.

I agree with this - I can’t get near their measurements either, but too much dough will result in a stodgy thick crust, so when you’re stretching just flatten down all but an inch or less around the edge for crust. Dough is quite stretchy at medium hydration’s, so if you’re gentle you should be able to pull and stretch parts where you think it’s too thick.

I’ve found it’s just practice really, at the beginning your circle might be not so circular and inconsistent thicknesses, but keep trying and you’ll find a technique that works. There is no one way in my opinion.

I find it way easier to very lightly flour the peel or use semolina and lay the base on it. Give it a quick shake, sauce, shake, toppings, shake, launch. It swears otherwise. If you don’t see the whole pizza move when shaking, you could end up with a disaster, so if necessary, gently lift and throw a pitch of flour underneath where you think it might be sticking. Could also gently blow to create the hovercraft effect
    Ah, hadn't considered that the sauce could be part of the problem.

So do you do steps in following order?
    1. Make base
    2. Slide onto peel
    3. Add sauce and toppings

These exactly. With a good bit of shaking the peel to ensure it is not at all stuck every few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

i make pizza on counter and slide onto the peel.
    If it does not move on the peel it wont move off the peel and you will soon have a mess in the oven.

dont put too much sauce on the pizza as it can leak through thin dough and lead to stocking.

One tip can be to lift up a corner of dough and blow under it - ooni call it the 'hovercraft technique'.
    Helps with the launch and reduces the chance of sticking .

EDIT - explained above really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Stretching the dough is something i just cant get right and it has kept me awake at night :D

But ive not given up and im just going to keep at it until i get it right,im going to try this recipe next week and see how it goes this pizza looks really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Used the ooni app to make my dough yesterday. Usually use Jamie Oliver recipe. Starting to realise I often make my dough to dry I often think it's to wet and add another tablespoon or two of flour. I persisted with kneading it the last few times and it's definitely better. Was actually able to stretch yesterdays by hand. I usually have to break out the roller as it tears.

My Ooni still a few weeks away probably June :( so had to make do with my oven and stone set to 250c still cooked in 5 minutes. Going to try on the BBQ later.

512279.jpg

Happy OoniDay! Went for a romana style for the first time. Tasted really good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Still no outdoor pizza oven.

Doing well with the two stone method (and a newish oven). (Max temp, 5 mins on top stone, up to 5 mins on bottom stone) Only make one pizza at a time. Top stone recovers while pizza is on bottom stone.

Wooden peel for all pizza work. Moving it around in the oven is like flipping pancakes, commit to the motion and you'll be grand.
    Build the pizza on the peel. Semolina for tiny ball bearings. Shuffle regularly , not too much sauce or it'll disintegrate and stick. I used to use coarse polenta, but semolina is definitely superior.

Similar sauce to DialHard. Drained can of chopped tomatoes, some cloves of garlic and salt, blended.
    (Remainder and strained juice goes into the next day's bolognaise).

Wettish dough, not so wet it's unworkable, not so dry it makes rubbish bread. We make two pizzas and a loaf with the one batch of dough.
    If we have guests, we use tony gegimani(sp?)'s 2 day dough (makes ****e bread but phenomenal pizza)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

This is the area that takes practice.

Don't ever think about cleaning the stone outside of the oven. It will crack. Char marks on the stone won't affect your pizza at all.

I basically leave any spills on the stone between pizzas and then use the peel to push any charcoal to the back of the grill with the peel when putting in the next pizza. I also flip my stone for each new pizza session. Allows the last used side of the stone to get properly cleaned by the intense heat.

Dough is a a bit of a learning curve but fun in the process. I use a very similar recipe to the ooni recipe. The big trick in the dough is to give it a long time to proove — the longer the proove the better the flavour and the more aerated the dough. If I'm making pizza on a Friday I'll make the dough on a weds. Mix, proove and ball it on the weds and cover and put in the fridge. On Friday morning take it out and leave it to get to get to room temp and cook for dinner.

Stretching the dough is, imo the single biggest challenge. This is something that takes practice. There are a load of tips on the ooni Facebook page and everyone has their take on it but you really have to practise and gravity should do most of the work. This pays off once you get it. Try to stay away from the rolling pin.

Advertisement