Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Might be mentioned already but I see Pallas are selling dough balls, there is a freezer symbol, not sure if they are ready frozen or just means they can be.

https://collect.pallasfoods.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pizza+dough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

They're frozen. If there's a Z in the product code they come frozen. Might try them them in a few weeks, my shed freezer is stuffed full of their pastry's at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

No Ooni .. yet but did finally sort out my confirmation email after ordering April 24th.

I have Caputo 00 on order, a peel (debating getting a wooden one too), an IR thermometer and no pizza oven �� but hoping it will still be here in May/early June. I did see on one of the Ooni Koda pages on Facebook, people were ordering the 50 bar and swapping the regulator our so debating that.

Happy to send referral link if anyone looking for 10% off (and if allowed, please delete if not!)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

samo wrote: »
    No Ooni .. yet but did finally sort out my confirmation email after ordering April 24th.

I have Caputo 00 on order, a peel (debating getting a wooden one too), an IR thermometer and no pizza oven �� but hoping it will still be here in May/early June. I did see on one of the Ooni Koda pages on Facebook, people were ordering the 50 bar and swapping the regulator our so debating that.

Happy to send referral link if anyone looking for 10% off (and if allowed, please delete if not!)
    100% get a wooden peel.you won't regret it. It makes the process so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

Notdeco wrote: »
    100% get a wooden peel.you won't regret it. It makes the process so much easier.

Thanks a mill, definitely need to order as got shipping notice for the Koda this morning. Was expecting the flour and peel etc to arrive before it... can’t wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Bassfish wrote: »
    I've pre-ordered the Ooni Karu, says it'll be shipped late June. It's a hell of a rabbit hole to go down when you start reading up on the perfect dough recipes and sourdough starters and cold proving! Looking forward to it though. I have an infrared thermometer and a metal peel ordered from Ali Express. Every forum I read though people are saying you need a wooden peel for launching the pizza and the metal one for turning it. Is that the general consensus here too?
    Also, what kind of surface to people put their ovens on? Do they get very hot underneath? I have a metal Ikea patio table I'm hoping will be OK to put it on.

It's definitely a rabbit hole, but great fun. There are so many tweaks to be made to improve your pizza, but the results are class from day 1. I use a wooden peel for launching alright, but I used the metal one that came with my ooni 3 for ages. I did have the odd launch disaster with that though. A right of passage IMO.

In terms of the surface, I use my wheely bin because it's a perfect height. There doesn't seem to be any heat below the oven, so it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

RonnieL wrote: »
    It's definitely a rabbit hole, but great fun. There are so many tweaks to be made to improve your pizza, but the results are class from day 1. I use a wooden peel for launching alright, but I used the metal one that came with my ooni 3 for ages. I did have the odd launch disaster with that though. A right of passage IMO.

In terms of the surface, I use my wheely bin because it's a perfect height. There doesn't seem to be any heat below the oven, so it's grand.

A wheelie bin, are you serious ??

s8n wrote: »
    A wheelie bin, are you serious ??

Controversial I know, but yes - I had been using a wooden table, but it was way too low, and I realised it wasn't even getting warm, so I gave the bin a try and been using it ever since! It might vary with different model ovens, but with my ooni 3 on gas it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Ooni manual does say not to use on plastic or glass surfaces. Careful now!

Yeah, I wouldn't try it with an oven burning wood because that could get dangerous fast, but my ooni 3 running on gas produces little or no heat at the bottom of the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

just an FYI - i very nearly had an ooni disaster!
    had the koda on a table and for some reason i wasnt getting the usual temp.
    made some pizzas anyway.

On review the gas hose was coming into contact with the underside of the koda and had melted.
    Could have been very dangerous.
    Had to order a new connection from ooni.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wisesmurf wrote: »

Stretching the dough is, imo the single biggest challenge. This is something that takes practice. There are a load of tips on the ooni Facebook page and everyone has their take on it but you really have to practise and gravity should do most of the work. This pays off once you get it. Try to stay away from the rolling pin.

Yeah definitely stretching the dough is tricky and a proper skill that takes time to master. I think for anyone starting off they should ignore the recipe calls for a 160g dough ball and go about 200g-225g. 160g is what a pro pizza chef would use but it takes practice to get there as it is so thin when stretched and one false move and a hole appears in your dough and you've to start again but now you've knocked all the air out of it so it wont rise as well in the oven.

When I was learning it I had a lot of disasters trying to get 160g to stretch to a 12 inch pizza. It would be too thin and the weight of the sauce and toppings would put a hole in it. Better to go with larger dough balls and then go smaller when you have it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

THIS.....All day long !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Looking at a few options myself for when the ooni arrives and would like a prep area for the bbq outside. Ikea have a few that would suit but delivery is pricey and not for a few weeks. And I ain't going near it when it reopens for at least a few weeks!

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/flytta-kitchen-trolley-stainless-steel-00058487/

These have the advantage that they have a bbq cover that fits them
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aepplaroe-klasen-storage-cabinet-outdoor-brown-stained-stainless-steel-colour-s09129999/
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aepplaroe-klasen-trolley-outdoor-brown-stained-stainless-steel-s49048411/

A commercial style stainless steel bench be better buy in the long term? Could probably find one second hand.
    https://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-stainless-steel-prep-table-with-upstand-1200mm/t381

^ Hadn’t thought of that, thanks.

You’re probably going to need somewhere to hold a cold box if you haven’t got access to an outdoor power point for a small fridge. Mozzarella starts to weep when it gets warm and you’ll need to keep your meats cool, and of course beers. More on-line shopping! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ryath wrote: »
    Looking at a few options myself for when the ooni arrives and would like a prep area for the bbq outside. Ikea have a few that would suit but delivery is pricey and not for a few weeks. And I ain't going near it when it reopens for at least a few weeks!

Just on ordering from Ikea, I placed an order for a couple of things last Friday night (8th), and the e-mail confirmed delivery for 3rd June. On Saturday I got another e-mail cancelling the order, followed by a third re-confirming it with a new delivery date of 11th May. The stuff arrived at 9am yesterday morning. Not saying that this will happen in every case, but you might get lucky. Delivery was a tenner, but I'm in Dublin, so it might be more for other parts of the country.

Ryath wrote: »

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/flytta-kitchen-trolley-stainless-steel-00058487/

These have the advantage that they have a bbq cover that fits them
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aepplaroe-klasen-storage-cabinet-outdoor-brown-stained-stainless-steel-colour-s09129999/
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aepplaroe-klasen-trolley-outdoor-brown-stained-stainless-steel-s49048411/

A commercial style stainless steel bench be better buy in the long term? Could probably find one second hand.
    https://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-stainless-steel-prep-table-with-upstand-1200mm/t381

A second hand commercial catering table is in my plans. There are sellers on Donedeal who have warehouses full of used catering equipment. You can get a used stainless steel catering table for approx 150-250. They're typically six feet in length so that gives you space for the Ooni and space on the table to stretch the dough and make the pizza beside the oven. Stainless steel shouldnt rust so it can stay outside all year around.

Im looking out for one that also has a shelf down below and plating on the sides and back so that it would double up in the winter for storing excess logs for the wood stove, it will give them shelter from the rain. Then in the summer the shelf can store stuff like the pizza peel, BBQ tongs, charcoal, etc.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    A second hand commercial catering table is in my plans. There are sellers on Donedeal who have warehouses full of used catering equipment. You can get a used stainless steel catering table for approx 150-250. They're typically six feet in length so that gives you space for the Ooni and space on the table to stretch the dough and make the pizza beside the oven. Stainless steel shouldnt rust so it can stay outside all year around.

Im looking out for one that also has a shelf down below and plating on the sides and back so that it would double up in the winter for storing excess logs for the wood stove, it will give them shelter from the rain. Then in the summer the shelf can store stuff like the pizza peel, BBQ tongs, charcoal, etc.

Blimey, you have been thinking about this! :)
    I’d say those secondhand catering suppliers would bite your hand off for any offers at the moment.

Blimey, you have been thinking about this! :)
    I’d say those secondhand catering suppliers would bite your hand off for any offers at the moment.

Yeah I have! I need a bit of space for overflow from the main logstore, that holds 1.2m3 of logs but I plan on buying 1.6m3 for next winter. So I saw a catering table with the backs and sides completely enclosed with sheet metal and with a shelf and figured it would be great to store the excess logs in the winter. The enclosed ones are rare, most catering tables are open on all sides. But if I can find one it will be great in the summer for the Ooni and pizza ingredients to sit on and to give you space to work to make pizzas on it.

And yeah Id expect that there are going to be some bargains in the second hand catering equipment market very soon. Theres going to be a fair few cafes and restaurants closing with a glut of equipment hitting these warehouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭David Della Rocco

Literally just picked up this order from Pallas, thanks very much! Easiest option seeing as any Caputo flour may take a while. Ordered my Ooni Koda on April 15th and it arrived May 6th, moving house so have been waiting until this weekend to try it out. Just waiting on my propane after todays haul so really looking forward to some dough mishaps. Thanks for all the tips here, been following for a while but had not posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 M2King

00 flour here
    Semolina here

Yeast here

And the Pizza Peel to bring your order over €30

Happy days!

Hi - Did the pizza peel you ordered from Pallas food fit in your Ooni oven? Pallas shows its as 26" but I presume that's the full length of it. It doesn't say what the width of the 'plate' part is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I’m thinking of building a pizza oven in the back garden (what else would you be doing these days) and just looking for a bit of advice from anyone that’s done it before. Specially really what materials I should be using. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Redo91 wrote: »
    Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I’m thinking of building a pizza oven in the back garden (what else would you be doing these days) and just looking for a bit of advice from anyone that’s done it before. Specially really what materials I should be using. Thanks.

I was literally about to ask that also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Check youtube for some good videos on building your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

vicwatson wrote: »
    Check youtube for some good videos on building your own.

Sure, Ill just pop down to lowes build your own furnace section and grab all I need.

A lot of people seem to use a gym ball as a mould. You'll also need fire bricks. I think there are some websites out there that sell pizza oven kits which has all the materials you need.

You'd want to be fairly confident in your brick laying skills and working with mortar imo. It would be very easy to make a dogs dinner of it and then you're left with this thing that weighs a ton and cant be moved.

M2King wrote: »
    Hi - Did the pizza peel you ordered from Pallas food fit in your Ooni oven? Pallas shows its as 26" but I presume that's the full length of it. It doesn't say what the width of the 'plate' part is...

Just had to run out to check! :eek:

Fits perfectly. :)

First run tonight. Dough's been in the fridge since Monday. Nervous about getting the base right, going to try without the rolling pin..........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's a biiiiiig job. My ex (who was very handy) really wanted to build one but admitted defeat once we researched it properly.

www.fornobravo.com was the best site we found in terms of resources and actual realistic advice. Ignore all the "Build Your Own Brick Pizza Oven in 5 Minutes!" YouTube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

Hi all
    Bought an ooni Koda in the last week and have to say am greatly impressed with it. Perfect Pizzas and naan breads. I've posted a pic here of my set up, using a
    fold up aluminium camping table underneath. It does the job and is portable.
    All you need otherwise is a peel, pizza cutter, bowl of flour and a wooden chopping board. Semolina not necessary at all. I worked as a pizza chef for years whilst in college and the main trick to learn is keeping the dough from sticking to your peel by liberal use of flour on your peel/underneath the dough. I make the pizza on a counter inside and then put it on the peel then out to the oven. Keep your toppings ready to go in separate containers and wear an apron as flour inevitably gets everywhere.
    Also you never need as much cheese as you think. Keep your peel clean and dry or else dough will stick. When putting in the oven keep it at an angle as much as possible and tip it in inch by inch, but not too slowly. Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Well the Koda's a bit of a beast, isn't it! :eek:

I've been trying to make perfect pizzas for 15-odd years now and thought I knew it all. Using the kitchen oven and a pizza stone, I could knock out 6+ 12" pizzas in 30 minutes, no problem. I'd been using Jamie Oliver's Pizza dough recipe for years and thought it was good enough. Until now....

Love the way you can change the specs to your liking using the Ooni Pizza app - dough ball size, length of fermentation, yeast type etc. (You can use the app even if you don't have one of their ovens).

I knew the 160g dough ball size they specify would be way too small for me so up'd it to 200g. Left it in the fridge for three days.

I'd watched the 'how to stretch your pizza dough' video 4 or 5 times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Entzcl8q7H4&feature=youtu.be

I managed to get 9" pizzas out of the first four balls, some better than others. I used a combination of hands and rolling pin for the last two and managed to stretch them to 12", no problem. More practice needed.

Need to buy an Infrared Thermometer as I was guessing that the Ooni was hot enough when I went to launch my first pizza. Discovered, that while my metal peel fits inside perfectly, my wooden one is too wide so I had to give it an extra hard flick to try and get the pizza inside. You could see it was scrunched up a bit.

The oven could do with a timer to tell you when 30 seconds or so is up and you need to turn it. You can't see down the back really so you're guessing it's done. I had to turn all the pizzas four times to get an even crust round the edges.

The pizza crust was nicely charred but not as crunchy as I would have liked. Maybe add some castor sugar to the dough recipe. Family all thought they were better than my normal ones. I think they liked the fact there was less semolina bits in the dough.

So, lots of practice still needed to get it right. I've scheduled in pizza for Saturday and next Monday nights. :rolleyes:

I can see how a lot of people would be disappointed with their Ooni. They are a difficult beast to master so keep watching Done Deal and Adverts for cheap rejects when the current deluge of sales have been delivered. :)

Advertisement