Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Right sorry can't find it on the thread, is there anywhere currently selling Ooni's that can delivery in a week or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Nal wrote: »
    Right sorry can't find it on the thread, is there anywhere currently selling Ooni's that can delivery in a week or so?

You could try this crowd.......

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenfun-for-sale/outdoor-wood-fired-pizza-oven/24756098

or here

https://www.caterboss.ie/category/ooni-pizza-ovens/1?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2PP1BRCiARIsAEqv-pQWu09TMnIOofsr-jA-RRBEE40Tq6GP06QrlZkLe2NouzYzu1RG8ooaApWnEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I tried to make pizza with my traditional baking oven at home but it also becomes hard and dry one. Maybe I am bad at cooking.

I tried to make pizza with my traditional baking oven at home but it also becomes hard and dry one. Maybe I am bad at cooking.

You need to use a stone or an upsidedown baking tray.
    Cook you base for a few minutes first then and the sauce/toppings and stick them back in.
    You can get fantastic results this way.
    I'll be doing some tomorrow eve I'll take pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Ryath

At twice recommended RRP! I'd wait for Ooni webstore or keep an eye on adverts.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    At twice recommended RRP! I'd wait for Ooni webstore or keep an eye on adverts.

Yeah seems the only way to get one quickly but Ill hold off until Ooni have them back in. The BBQ will do for now.

Yeah seems the only way to get one quickly but Ill hold off until Ooni have them back in. The BBQ will do for now.

I'd keep an eye on Lakeland site they have some models listed as available in store. Most out of stock but maybe they will have some stock allocated that will become available. They have stores in Belfast and Enniskillen.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/brands/ooni/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The dough has a lot to do with it as well as the cooking method. What recipe do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

The amount of water is the key here I would think. Pizza ovens cooking at 500 degrees can cook 60 or so percent “hydration” meaning if you use 500g flour, you would use 300g water in the dough, plus yeast and salt. 90 to 120 seconds at 500 degrees

Home ovens you need to push this to 70% basically 350g water with 500g dough. This is because more water is lost due to evaporation because the pizza is in for 6 or 7 mins to cook at 250 degrees :D

If you were to go with the top option - 60% hydration in a home oven, you will likely end up with a dry crust

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's a biiiiiig job. My ex (who was very handy) really wanted to build one but admitted defeat once we researched it properly.

www.fornobravo.com was the best site we found in terms of resources and actual realistic advice. Ignore all the "Build Your Own Brick Pizza Oven in 5 Minutes!" YouTube videos.

That’s great thanks. My dad used to work in the construction industry so we will hopefully manage. It’s mainly his idea but I’ll be helping out. Will check out that website.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's a biiiiiig job. My ex (who was very handy) really wanted to build one but admitted defeat once we researched it properly.

www.fornobravo.com was the best site we found in terms of resources and actual realistic advice. Ignore all the "Build Your Own Brick Pizza Oven in 5 Minutes!" YouTube videos.

Yea if you want to do a good job its expensive and probably not worth it but I've never let that get in the way before!!!!

I've posted this here before but this place do a kit

https://www.pizzaovens4u.com/shop/

out of stock atm

If you go back a few pages somebody bought one from some playground company for a 5/600.
    But half the fun is building it imo.
    someday !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Pete123456 wrote: »
    The amount of water is the key here I would think. Pizza ovens cooking at 500 degrees can cook 60 or so percent “hydration” meaning if you use 500g flour, you would use 300g water in the dough, plus yeast and salt. 90 to 120 seconds at 500 degrees

Home ovens you need to push this to 70% basically 350g water with 500g dough. This is because more water is lost due to evaporation because the pizza is in for 6 or 7 mins to cook at 250 degrees :D

If you were to go with the top option - 60% hydration in a home oven, you will likely end up with a dry crust

It's quite a good idea also to introduce some steam into your domestic oven. Keep a baking tray at the bottom of your oven and pour in a pint of boiling water just before you add your pizza. Makes all the difference to a pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wip3out

Where would I get my hands on some type 00 flour these days, I have been searching everywhere and its not the easiest to get at the minute :(

wip3out wrote: »
    Where would I get my hands on some type 00 flour these days, I have been searching everywhere and its not the easiest to get at the minute :(

You didn't search this thread! :P
    https://collect.pallasfoods.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=00%20flour

Ryath wrote: »
    You didn't search this thead! :P

Yeah I came across that link alright but was wondering what other options there are :)

I’ve seen it in quite a few places. Nolan’s in Clontarf get some in regularly and saw some in SuperValu Killester recently. It might be called pasta or tipo flour.

I’ve seen it in quite a few places. Nolan’s in Clontarf get some in regularly and saw some in SuperValu Killester recently. It might be called pasta or tipo flour.

I'll check Nolan's. Supervalue don't seem to have it in stock at the min. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

You need to use a stone or an upsidedown baking tray.
    Cook you base for a few minutes first then and the sauce/toppings and stick them back in.
    You can get fantastic results this way.
    I'll be doing some tomorrow eve I'll take pics.

Upside down baking tray was a new thing for me. I just Googled and found video on YouTube. It is looking good but wouldn't it make the bread little hard? Because bread will be complete in contact of heat.

Moreover, don't only share your pics but also share entire recipe from dough to topping. I always have issues with dough :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

I'll check Nolan's. Supervalue don't seem to have it in stock at the min. thanks!

Fallon & Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

https://ripasso.shop/ - it's an Italian deli so you will get all the proper toppings from there also. Make sure to bulk up as the delivery charge goes down the more you buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Can you buy the roccbox anywhere in ireland?

Hiya did anyone get back to you about this? Keen to buy one myself

If you cant get 00 flour, strong bread flour is fine.

If you cant get 00 flour, strong bread flour is fine.

I’ve seen more more 00 than strong flour in shops recently. I’ve made quite a lot of bread out of 00 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

https://ripasso.shop/ - it's an Italian deli so you will get all the proper toppings from there also. Make sure to bulk up as the delivery charge goes down the more you buy
    i bought from Ripasso. Very happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sure, Ill just pop down to lowes build your own furnace section and grab all I need.

Lowes? American?

Don't get your attempt at humour

Do they not have building supplies in Ireland, similar to those in the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Isn't 00 just the fineness of the grind?

As I understand it 00 can be strong flour or, basically, fine cake flour.

I also would have thought that pasta flour and pizza flour would not be interchangeable as pasta flour is not a strong (high protein) flour.

Anyone here know their tippo from their 00, from pasta to pizza to bread flour? It's all very confusing and I suspect a lot of people have it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Anyone here know their tippo from their 00, from pasta to pizza to bread flour? It's all very confusing and I suspect a lot of people have it wrong.

Tippo literally just means "type". 00 refers to the fineness of the mill, as you've said.

Can't answer the rest, I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

Isn't 00 just the fineness of the grind?

As I understand it 00 can be strong flour or, basically, fine cake flour.

I also would have thought that pasta flour and pizza flour would not be interchangeable as pasta flour is not a strong (high protein) flour.

It’s to do with the protein level of the flour as far as I know, pasta flour is around 12% ,v strong is 14% ,not huge difference and you can use either for pizza ,the stronger it is the more gluten,more gluten the stretchier the dough is

• Registered Users Posts: 68,682 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can get low gluten 00 as well, though. Which will make crap pizza.

The majority of 00 sold here is going to be high gluten, but it's worth checking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Oh, what a good photo :)

Also makes you realise why a wheelie bin might be a useful height :cool:

What's the blue pot(?) at the back of the table?

Advertisement