Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Found a bag of “00” in the press, bbe July last year, reckon it’s a goer (might be food safety advice so please delete if deemed so), I’m not concerned about the safety, rather the quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

vicwatson wrote: »
    Found a bag of “00” in the press, bbe July last year, reckon it’s a goer (might be food safety advice so please delete if deemed so), I’m not concerned about the safety, rather the quality
    Whereaboutsish are you located? I'm seeing plenty in North Wicklow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Whereaboutsish are you located? I'm seeing plenty in North Wicklow!!

I see Ripasso is now sold out!

Article about making pizza at home (including Ooni) in Irish Times today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Anyone got a good straightforward naan recipe that works well in the Ooni. Can only find sourdough ones online.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Got my ooni pro last week, looks like it was the last one in the country :-/

The amount of pizza i’m eating lately is an absolute disgrace...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Peckham wrote: »
    Anyone got a good straightforward naan recipe that works well in the Ooni. Can only find sourdough ones online.

I haven’t actually tried it but it looks nice.

https://eu.gozney.com/blogs/recipes/garlic-naan-recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

I wasn't even aware of ripasso, tho I'm definitely interested now!! No I was actually referring to other outlets with Italian 00 and strong white flour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Article :
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/want-to-make-perfect-pizza-at-home-here-s-how-to-do-it-1.4248535

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The felicity cloake perfect naan is pretty good. Not tried it in an oven but i do it on cast iron pan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Some craic with the Ooni last night, first I went out and the fecking birds had shat on it. Cleaned that up before using and then when refilling the hopper with wood pellets I somehow touched the inside of it with my little finger and suffered a hell of a painful skin burn. Then I decided to have a look down the chimney when it was going at full pelt and I nearly singed my overly long fringe as the flames were roaring right up to the top of the flue. Got a blast of heat smack in the face doing that, lesson learnt. Still great pizza from it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Anyone know where I’d find normal dry yeast? Everywhere seems sold out with the whole country baking at the moment! I dont want the fresh yeast which I’ve seen in Pallas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Some craic with the Ooni last night, first I went out and the fecking birds had shat on it. Cleaned that up before using and then when refilling the hopper with wood pellets I somehow touched the inside of it with my little finger and suffered a hell of a painful skin burn. Then I decided to have a look down the chimney when it was going at full pelt and I nearly singed my overly long fringe as the flames were roaring right up to the top of the flue. Got a blast of heat smack in the face doing that, lesson learnt. Still great pizza from it though.

..all I'm picturing is Frank Spencer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Anyone know where I’d find normal dry yeast? Everywhere seems sold out with the whole country baking at the moment! I dont want the fresh yeast which I’ve seen in Pallas

After 8 weeks i found some quick dry yeast in the health food section of Dunnes. They normally have all that organic stuff for baking as well and I found it there.......I thought yeast had disappeared off the face of the planet

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I got some Allison's dry yeast in Tesco Balbriggan last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tesco shows their yeast in stock online, and shows Allinsons tin is not in stock (i.e. it seems they are up to date).

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=yeast

"No knead" recipes use very little yeast if you have any at all, or can only get a small bit.

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    After 8 weeks i found some quick dry yeast in the health food section of Dunnes.
    If people are looking in health sections/shops make sure it is active yeast, and not dead inactive brewers yeast sold for nutritional intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lidl have 7g sachets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

For anyone else waiting on an order:
    Ordered from Ooni on 25 April.
    Shipped on 11 May
    Delivered to Parcel Motel NI on 13th
    Received in Dublin on 18th May.

Original shipping was due for Mid July.
    Currently stating mid August for new orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Which model did you order? No sign of my Karu to ship yet, ordered 22nd April shipping late May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

wandererz wrote: »
    Given you used Parcel Motel I assume you ordered from the .co.uk site - is that right?

I ordered the small size Koda on 26th April and I've heard nothing re shipping. I ordered some accessories a few days later and I have them about 10 days now. DPD delivered them.

Ryath wrote: »
    Which model did you order? No sign of my Karu to ship yet, ordered 22nd April shipping late May.
    Ordered the small Koda

• Advertisement

Pipmae wrote: »
    Given you used Parcel Motel I assume you ordered from the .co.uk site - is that right?

Correct. The EU site was showing no stock. So I hopped onto the UK site & used Parcel Motel.
    Home delivery with PM was €14.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Hi all, I have just come across this thread and thought I might add my 2 cents worth.
    I started making pizza at home about 40 years ago and have tried all sorts of dough receipes and methods with varying success over the time, About 10 years ago a friend said why not build an oven and so I did. There were no Ooni's then or I probably have gone down that road.
    So for those who were thinking of building one from scratch
    If you you are handy and like a project you will great great fun and satisfaction out of it.
    You have to be patient, the build is a slow process, I did one ring of bricks at a time, let them set and then another etc.
    You have to be patient when lighting it first and that goes for the kit type also, small fires over a week to properly dry it out. A friend of mine rushed this and split his!
    You need plenty of timber, they are hungry beasts
    They take a 3 hours at least to heat up
    Really good insulation is key and they take days to cool down. I have cooked pizza on Christmas eve , cleaned all the ashes out Christmas day and cooked my turkey on the residual heat, roast spuds, slow roasts the next days just from the heat in the bricks.
    I can definitely recommend one and you can get fantastic pizza but a wood oven doesn't guarantee great pizza cos its all about the dough. I have had plenty of bad pizza from wood ovens. Fornobravo website is definitely a great asset
    My recipe for what its worth
    900gr 00 flour
    100gr semolina
    630gr cold water
    20gr salt
    4gr fresh yeast
    I mix 700gr 00 with 580gr of water and leave to stand for about 30 minutes, then add remaining water with dissolved yeast, add salt to remaining 00 and semolina and add to mixture and kneed for about 7 mins with dough hook on machine. As I normally do 3 or 4 times this amount I put the whole lot into the fridge for two days and the day of cooking make dough ball about 270gr and put them in pizza trays ,leave in a cool place for 4 to 6 hours. This works well for me, it is easy to work with good flavour and a light springy dough.
    I get my flour and tomatoes in Little Italy where one of the ladies told me to use some semolina in the dough, great tip. I get my fresh yeast in the Polish shop. !00gr bar and it will freeze perfectly. Personally I don't like the instant yeast think it leaves a flavour but maybe I use it wrong.
    Hope this is useful to someone. I would love to see an Ooni in action, my son was talking of getting one but in London and can't use it where he is but hey something for the future.
    Best ever pizza Pizzeria Starita in Naples think it was the marinara but has just tomatoes wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I haven’t actually tried it but it looks nice.

https://eu.gozney.com/blogs/recipes/garlic-naan-recipe

It was looking good up until it went in the Roccbox and
    Roccbox needs to be fully saturated with heat with the flame turned down to its lowest setting. Bake the naan in the front third of Roccbox rotating as required. Complete bake time will be around 3 1/2 minutes.
    How does that translate to a not-Roccbox cooking? Anyone guess? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

hargo wrote: »
    Hi all, I have just come across this thread and thought I might add my 2 cents worth.
    I started making pizza at home about 40 years ago and have tried all sorts of dough receipes and methods with varying success over the time, About 10 years ago a friend said why not build an oven and so I did. There were no Ooni's then or I probably have gone down that road.
    So for those who were thinking of building one from scratch
    If you you are handy and like a project you will great great fun and satisfaction out of it.
    You have to be patient, the build is a slow process, I did one ring of bricks at a time, let them set and then another etc.
    You have to be patient when lighting it first and that goes for the kit type also, small fires over a week to properly dry it out. A friend of mine rushed this and split his!
    You need plenty of timber, they are hungry beasts
    They take a 3 hours at least to heat up
    Really good insulation is key and they take days to cool down. I have cooked pizza on Christmas eve , cleaned all the ashes out Christmas day and cooked my turkey on the residual heat, roast spuds, slow roasts the next days just from the heat in the bricks.
    I can definitely recommend one and you can get fantastic pizza but a wood oven doesn't guarantee great pizza cos its all about the dough. I have had plenty of bad pizza from wood ovens. Fornobravo website is definitely a great asset
    My recipe for what its worth
    900gr 00 flour
    100gr semolina
    630gr cold water
    20gr salt
    4gr fresh yeast
    I mix 700gr 00 with 580gr of water and leave to stand for about 30 minutes, then add remaining water with dissolved yeast, add salt to remaining 00 and semolina and add to mixture and kneed for about 7 mins with dough hook on machine. As I normally do 3 or 4 times this amount I put the whole lot into the fridge for two days and the day of cooking make dough ball about 270gr and put them in pizza trays ,leave in a cool place for 4 to 6 hours. This works well for me, it is easy to work with good flavour and a light springy dough.
    I get my flour and tomatoes in Little Italy where one of the ladies told me to use some semolina in the dough, great tip. I get my fresh yeast in the Polish shop. !00gr bar and it will freeze perfectly. Personally I don't like the instant yeast think it leaves a flavour but maybe I use it wrong.
    Hope this is useful to someone. I would love to see an Ooni in action, my son was talking of getting one but in London and can't use it where he is but hey something for the future.
    Best ever pizza Pizzeria Starita in Naples think it was the marinara but has just tomatoes wow!

Thanks
    Would love to see some pictures of your pizza oven

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

..all I'm picturing is Frank Spencer...

It was very much nearly a Frank Spencer moment! Though I must say its pretty cool that when you get it going the flames roar all the way up to the top of the chimney flue, that means when the door is closed those same flames are licking right above the pizza toppings. For me its what gives the Ooni the clear advantage over other methods of pizza cooking like on a BBQ,the Ooni is completely designed to give heat at the base via the stone and heat from on top via the flames.
    tangy wrote: »
    It was looking good up until it went in the Roccbox and
    How does that translate to a not-Roccbox cooking? Anyone guess? :)

Anytime Ive done naan bread in the Ooni it is a really fast cook. Within 15 seconds the bread is already bubbling up and at 450 degrees it will burn in under 45 seconds or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

wandererz wrote: »
    Shipped on 11 May
    Delivered to Parcel Motel NI on 13th
    Received in Dublin on 18th May.

Original shipping was due for Mid July.
    Currently stating mid August for new orders.

I ordered on the 24th and still no updates :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

What's people's opinion on a pizza stone for a BBQ? I dont have the space for a full oven at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

I see lidl UK selling pizza paddle this week, I take it we get different specials to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

afatbollix wrote: »
    What's people's opinion on a pizza stone for a BBQ? I dont have the space for a full oven at the moment.

Just use the frying pan / grill method - will get a better result i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

afatbollix wrote: »

A good copper grill and bake mat works well. Did a pizza on the BBQ at the weekend on one. Better than the oven as the BBQ gets to 400c but obviously needs to get closer to 500c for a softer crust.

Excuse the shoddy shape but needs must

video2gif-20200519-093239.gif

Advertisement