Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Whats everyones dough recipes ?
    I'm using a few different ones with varying degrees of success.

Was using pizzapp 24 hour room temp recipe which only calls for .3 g of instant yeast.
    This has had more bad results than good where the balls sometimes don,t rise at all.

Have had more success on the ooni recipe with 3g of instant yeast with a 3 hour room temp prove and 1 hour ball proove.
    These was a good dough to work with but maybe i could leave it for a little longer to improve digestability.
    I did experiment on this dough and left it overnight in fridge and 2 more hours room temp and they were very difficult - too much air and structure could barely hold toppings, very close to tearing.

Anyone found the sweet spot for yeast / proof time / dough workability ?

Pizzapp specs
    5 x 200g balls
    62% hydration
    3% salt
    24 H room temp @19 celcius

Flour 606g
    Water 376g
    Salt 18g
    Yeast 0.36g Active / 0.29 Instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

carq wrote: »

500g 00 or strong bread flour
    Teaspoon salt
    20g (ish) fresh yeast
    325ml warm water

Knead, roll into a log, cut into 4 pieces, roll each piece into a ball, place under a damp tea towel for 4 or 5 hours or until doubled in size. Has worked within 2 hours, hot room etc. Works every time.

If I can be arsed Ill do a slow proof in the fridge but haven't noticed a huge difference doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

afatbollix wrote: »
    What's people's opinion on a pizza stone for a BBQ? I dont have the space for a full oven at the moment.

No need for a stone on the barbie, just cook it directly on the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'm using a few different ones with varying degrees of success.

Was using pizzapp 24 hour room temp recipe which only calls for .3 g of instant yeast.
    This has had more bad results than good where the balls sometimes don,t rise at all.

TBH for room temp recipes I think thats way to little yeast. Also, make sure your yeast is alive before adding it.

My recipe is based off the cookidoo recipe and mixed in a thermomix (cookidoo is the thermomix recipie app).

220 g water, room temperature
    1 tsp sugar << I use a little bit more
    2 tsp dried instant yeast << I use i level teaspoon, 3-4g
    400 g strong white bread flour > 370g 00 flour (Pallas click and collect) and 30g wheat gluten (holland and barett)
    30 g extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing ( I use about 15)
    1 tsp fine sea salt

Sugar and water put in bowl and add yeast. Give a min to ensure its activated (starts to bubble).

The rest of ingredients is added and kneaded.

Hand Roll into a ball and put in a greased container and sealed with clingfilm Put in fridge from anywhere from 1 day - 3 days.

If being used taken out several hours before and amount to be used cut off, shaped into a ball and put in a small bow.l Clingfilm top and leave to rise at room temp. Excess put back in fridge after being reshaped into a ball.

513503.jpeg

513504.jpeg

513505.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭hargo

GY A1 wrote: »
    Thanks
    Would love to see some pictures of your pizza oven

some construction photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

hargo wrote: »
    some construction photos

Brilliant
    Well done
    Looking forward see finished job

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

Hi, anyone have any coupon codes for ooni?

This list has inspired me to buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

bobk wrote: »
    Hi, anyone have any coupon codes for ooni?

This list has inspired me to buy one!

PM sent :)

Oooh yes if anyone has one spare I could do with one please!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

Yes I'd love a code too, didn't realise there were any!

• Advertisement

Thanks Straylight! Ordered. Got a bit giddy!

Thought I'd send a photo of the dome and I see I have a bit of maintenance.. !0 years of infernos will do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Thought I'd send a photo of the dome and I see I have a bit of maintenance.. !0 years of infernos will do that!

Now there’s an oven!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I would also love a code if anyone can spare one, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

Savage
    Great work
    What’s the door from

its an old oven door modified!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

How did you insulate your dome

3 layers of ceramic wool on dome and 150mm vermiculite under the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wip3out

https://www.stadlermade.com/pizza-dough-calculator/

regarding pizza dough recipes, here's a handy link to have. Check it out.

I have tried a few variations and they work out great. even in a home oven :)

wip3out wrote: »
    https://www.stadlermade.com/pizza-dough-calculator/

regarding pizza dough recipes, here's a handy link to have. Check it out.

I have tried a few variations and they work out great. even in a home oven :)

I tried that last week and it worked very well. His YouTube tutorials are very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Ordered my Ooni Karu a few weeks ago and it'll be well into July before I have it by the looks of things! :-/
    I'm wondering would it be worth my while getting some practice in making the dough before it arrives, even if I was to just cook it on the hottest setting in the oven? Obviously, I know it won't get anything like the results from the Ooni but would it turn out any way decent do people reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Bassfish wrote: »
    Ordered my Ooni Karu a few weeks ago and it'll be well into July before I have it by the looks of things! :-/
    I'm wondering would it be worth my while getting some practice in making the dough before it arrives, even if I was to just cook it on the hottest setting in the oven? Obviously, I know it won't get anything like the results from the Ooni but would it turn out any way decent do people reckon?

You can get very good pizza with your oven and a pizza stone - can also use the grill 5 mins before putting the pizza in to get the stone as hot as possible - just push the hydration up to 68 or 70% to allow for a longer cook time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Ryath

Max temp and use a stone. No it won't be as good as the ooni but still a million times better than a shop bought and you'll get practise making and hand stretching dough. How I've done mine for years. Seen others parbake them and a few other suggestions to use the grill and oven.

Ordered the karu myself nearly a month ago. According today's email it will be dispatched from the 27th of May onward.
    https://ooni.com/pages/shipping-and-returns?utm_campaign=Email%20%231%20%28Uv8uE2%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Pre-order%20information&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJicnlhbmtlbm55MUBnbWFpbC5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJLZml6Y1AifQ%3D%3D#preorder

Any recommendations for a cheapish infrared thermometer? It's the one thing I don't have yet. They seem to be in short supply and gone way up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Ryath wrote: »
    Max temp and use a stone. No it won't be as good as the ooni but still a million times better than a shop bought and you'll get practise making and hand stretching dough. How I've done mine for years. Seen others parbake them and a few other suggestions to use the grill and oven.

Ordered the karu myself nearly a month ago. According today's email it will be dispatched from the 27th of May onward.
    https://ooni.com/pages/shipping-and-returns?utm_campaign=Email%20%231%20%28Uv8uE2%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Pre-order%20information&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJicnlhbmtlbm55MUBnbWFpbC5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJLZml6Y1AifQ%3D%3D#preorder

Any recommendations for a cheapish infrared thermometer? It's the one thing I don't have yet. They seem to be in short supply and gone way up in price.

#Aliexpress € 16,81 20%OFF | RZ Infrared Thermometer Non-Contact Temperature Meter Gun Handheld Digital LCD Industrial Outdoor Laser Pyrometer IR Thermometer
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_Bf8stgjb
    I've ordered this one from Ali Express and it has ple3of good reviews.
    I must have ordered my Karu just after you as my dispatch date is the end of June :/

I knoe Heston Blumenthal recommended recreating the heat of a pizza oven by upturning a cast-iron pan and putting it under the grill. Has anyone tried that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Pipmae

The Karu is coming into Lakeland on the 1st June and they say they'll despatch it immediately.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62647/Ooni-Karu-Outdoor-Pizza-Oven-with-Baking-Stone-UU-P0A100

Register for an email alert re the infrared thermometer with Ooni. I managed to get one on Monday when they restocked a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Ryath wrote: »

I got the etekcity one from Amazon, seems to work well so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Bassfish wrote: »
    #Aliexpress € 16,81 20%OFF |

I knoe Heston Blumenthal recommended recreating the heat of a pizza oven by upturning a cast-iron pan and putting it under the grill. Has anyone tried that?

I have a cast Iron griddle pan for smash burgers on my weber kettle and we had a BBQ the other night and after the BBQ we threw in a few logs for a fire pit. Anyway I remembered I had some pizza dough in the fridge so I threw on the griddle pan over the flames (fire was dying out at this stage) and then put the lid half on and let the pan heat up. Threw the dough on and OMG it was awesome serious crunch on the bottom of the base. Problem is the dome was not hot enough as the fire was dying out but I think I can fix that.

Deffo worth the try and I will be perfecting the method over the week end :cool: I was thinking of buying a OONI Pro but this might have changed my mind...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pete123456 wrote: »
    You can get very good pizza with your oven and a pizza stone - can also use the grill 5 mins before putting the pizza in to get the stone as hot as possible - just push the hydration up to 68 or 70% to allow for a longer cook time

I'm fascinated by this thread because of the precision of hydration levels you're all talking about.

I don't have a pizza oven but I make pizza frequently in the oven. I really struggle to get hydration above about 50% because my dough just becomes way too wet. I'd typically use about 450g of strong flour and I'd start by adding about 200 ml of water, and add maybe another 50 ml while it's kneading. The dough then feels right when it's proving, but is often is way too dry when it's cooked, so that's obviously where I'm going wrong!

If I keep adding water, up to 60% or even 70% as suggested, how do I stop it turning into sludge? If I keep kneading, is that the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Just use the frying pan / grill method - will get a better result i think.

+1. I bought one of the aldi bbq style pizza ovens and it was rubbish. Never tried the pizza stone in the oven, but in my opinion you'll only get good results with a hot pizza stone (but not too hot), and heat from above (like in a proper pizza oven, or from a grill in the frying pan method).

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by this thread because of the precision of hydration levels you're all talking about.

I don't have a pizza oven but I make pizza frequently in the oven. I really struggle to get hydration above about 50% because my dough just becomes way too wet. I'd typically use about 450g of strong flour and I'd start by adding about 200 ml of water, and add maybe another 50 ml while it's kneading. The dough then feels right when it's proving, but is often is way too dry when it's cooked, so that's obviously where I'm going wrong!

If I keep adding water, up to 60% or even 70% as suggested, how do I stop it turning into sludge? If I keep kneading, is that the trick?

You shouldn’t need to add water while you’re kneading. Add the water before. It might feel wet at first but keep kneading it will start to absorb the water.

This guy has very clear tutorials.
    https://youtu.be/HkXojFU_LrE

Advertisement