Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

220 g water, room temperature
    1 tsp sugar << I use a little bit more
    2 tsp dried instant yeast << I use i level teaspoon, 3-4g
    400 g strong white bread flour > 370g 00 flour (Pallas click and collect) and 30g wheat gluten (holland and barett)
    30 g extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing ( I use about 15)
    1 tsp fine sea salt

For anyone using a pizza oven, I'd recommend not putting any sugar in - your crust will only end up burning before the top has cooked. It's fine for dough destined for a domestic oven, especially same day dough as the sugar helps get the yeast working.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

el_gaucho wrote: »
    You shouldn’t need to add water while you’re kneading. Add the water before. It might feel wet at first but keep kneading it will start to absorb the water.

This guy has very clear tutorials.
    https://youtu.be/HkXojFU_LrE

Interesting!

His pizza dough calculator said:
    In case you’re using regular bread flour, it would be wise to set the parameter between 50% and 55%, since regular bread flower can’t absorb large quantities of water. If you don’t use less water with bread flour, Your dough will get wet and soupy.

So perhaps I'm not doing too badly then, as I've only been able to get strong flour recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Pipmae wrote: »
    The Karu is coming into Lakeland on the 1st June and they say they'll despatch it immediately.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62647/Ooni-Karu-Outdoor-Pizza-Oven-with-Baking-Stone-UU-P0A100

Register for an email alert re the infrared thermometer with Ooni. I managed to get one on Monday when they restocked a few.

I was looking at the Koda on this last night and they had it in stock for 15th June,said id wait until this morning to buy it ,just went on and its not available now! I should of just bought it last night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bassfish wrote: »

I knoe Heston Blumenthal recommended recreating the heat of a pizza oven by upturning a cast-iron pan and putting it under the grill. Has anyone tried that?
    yes, only on a frozen one. Some of those takeaway pizzas are actually raw frozen dough. I often defrost pizzas and did one and it was totally raw and difficult to handle.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I did my defrosted thin supermarket pizza on my upturned cast iron pan under the grill, I left it under the grill for about 15mins before cooking. It was well browned in 2mins, and took it out after 2min 30sec. Was very nice. I will try with some dough if I can get the flour. I see some heat the pans on the hob beforehand.

I think the cast iron would need a bit longer to reach full temp. At some future date I can borrow a infrared thermometer. It was probably an inch and a half away from the grill elements.

In my searches I found this, it is pretty expensive.

No idea how good it would be but an interesting concept, also it has other uses, like just use as a cast iron pan on the hob or BBQ which is great for smashburgers or searing steak etc. I do not like the idea of single use items. Some might already have 2 cast iron pans to try this with, or it could be a more common non stick pan on the bottom that you put the base on, and have the heavy energy dense roaring hot cast iron pan placed on top.

http://www.ironate.com/

A few days ago I used an electric heat gun on a pizza and it came out great. I cooked it in the airfryer first until it was 2/3rd cooked, no browning on it Yet. The heatgun was set to 650C and blast the top and also the base, the airfryer has a mesh on the bottom so was able to lift it up to blast the bottom.

There are videos of people trying to cook or reheat with heat guns. This is not that good, it can take ages for it to get to temperature, the trick is doing it while it is still roasting hot.

This guy does it, but with a butane torch.

how to finish a pizza baked in a conventional oven using a butane torch. The point of this is to make sure the top of the pizza gets fully done without over-baking the delicate crust. The problem with the broiler is that you have little control over where the heat gets applied

That is one advantage, being able to pinpoint bits. If you do a fresh dough pizza under a grill it might bubble up and one bit could be scorched by the grill element.

This guy torched wood or charcoal above it!

That Guga foods lad does it, 3mins 10sec into this, it is possibly that searzall attachement.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Next on my list is to make detroit pizza.
    looks ndulgent but very very good.

Sent a mail off to a US company to see if they will hip to ireland.
    Price on amazon are scandalous!

Edit - found one on nibets thats the right size. Aluminium rather than steel though.

https://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-anodised-aluminium-roasting-dish-325mm/c057

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I just got this message and it made my day, I will be practicing my dough daily until it arrives!
    Great news: Your Ooni order is on its way!

Click on the tracking link below to keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

krissovo wrote: »
    I just got this message and it made my day, I will be practicing my dough daily until it arrives!

When did you order yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The Nal wrote: »
    When did you order yours?

23rd April

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Faith wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by this thread because of the precision of hydration levels you're all talking about.

I don't have a pizza oven but I make pizza frequently in the oven. I really struggle to get hydration above about 50% because my dough just becomes way too wet. I'd typically use about 450g of strong flour and I'd start by adding about 200 ml of water, and add maybe another 50 ml while it's kneading. The dough then feels right when it's proving, but is often is way too dry when it's cooked, so that's obviously where I'm going wrong!

If I keep adding water, up to 60% or even 70% as suggested, how do I stop it turning into sludge? If I keep kneading, is that the trick?
    I use odlums strong flour and i rock ~80% hydration for my usual pizza/bread doughs. (it also has horlicks, plenty of salt and varying amounts of yeast depending on patience)

I just stir the crap out of it at first, leave it sit for two or more hours, and then it's a lovely soft dough to knead. Dough scrapers are essential for when it escapes the floured area of the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭hargo

Faith wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by this thread because of the precision of hydration levels you're all talking about.

I don't have a pizza oven but I make pizza frequently in the oven. I really struggle to get hydration above about 50% because my dough just becomes way too wet. I'd typically use about 450g of strong flour and I'd start by adding about 200 ml of water, and add maybe another 50 ml while it's kneading. The dough then feels right when it's proving, but is often is way too dry when it's cooked, so that's obviously where I'm going wrong!

If I keep adding water, up to 60% or even 70% as suggested, how do I stop it turning into sludge? If I keep kneading, is that the trick?

Try mixing 70% of the flour with your water and leaving it stand for 20/30 minutes before adding the rest of the flour. This allows the gluten to develop and less kneeding is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Couldn't find dried yeast anywhere so picked up some fresh in sv, used it with strong white flour following my normal process and left to rise. Nothing doing 3 hours later? Any suggestions??

Couldn't find dried yeast anywhere so picked up some fresh in sv, used it with strong white flour following my normal process and left to rise. Nothing doing 3 hours later? Any suggestions??

How much yeast vs flour did you use? You may used too little.

You may not have kneaded enough.

Alternatively, boil a kettle of water, put the water in a baking tray the bottom shelf of the oven, put the dough on the top shelf. Close the oven, give it 30 and see what happens.

You may need more yeast and a re knead. Failing that, flatbread or breadsticks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jesus the demand for Oonis has gone insane, was just looking at a couple of auctions on fleabay. Here is a brand new Ooni 3 currently being bid at £295 with still with an hour and a half to go. Its going to sell for significantly more than it was ever bought for.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ooni-3-Outdoor-Wood-Fired-Pizza-Oven-BRAND-NEW-In-Box/293585542128?hash=item445b0fdbf0:g:3voAAOSwAtFexBcc

And a well used model which the owner hasnt even tried to clean up is currently bid to £195 with another four days to go
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ooni-Uuni-3-Portable-Wood-Fired-Outdoor-Pizza-Oven-Great-Condition-With-Cover/184300650321?hash=item2ae92cbf51:g:gDYAAOSwPTNextvx

Id nearly be tempted to cash in my own Ooni which has had 1.5 years of good use, would probably get 220 for it and then add on another 50 quid to that for a brand new Karu or Koda :D Only for I threw the box out Id probably do it, packaging it for shipping without the original box would be a lot of grief

Alternatively, boil a kettle of water, put the water in a baking tray the bottom shelf of the oven, put the dough on the top shelf. Close the oven, give it 30 and see what happens.

15g yeast 500 g flour in a stand mixer with a dough hook?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭hargo

Yeast shouldn't come into contact with salt or too warm water initially. Fresh yeast v instant yeast 3 to 1 . If you are looking for a quick rise (like 1 hour)you would use 20 grams to 500 grams of flour whereas 2 grams over two days in the fridge is enough for same flour. You could add more yeast to water and a little flour and sugar and add it to the dough if it is still not rising in warm place.

hargo wrote: »
    Yeast shouldn't come into contact with salt or too warm water initially. Fresh yeast v instant yeast 3 to 1 . If you are looking for a quick rise (like 1 hour)you would use 20 grams to 500 grams of flour whereas 2 grams over two days in the fridge is enough for same flour. You could add more yeast to water and a little flour and sugar and add it to the dough if it is still not rising in warm place.
    Thanks, much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

If using fresh yeast you need to use twice as much as you would use for dried (in terms of weight).

Enjoy the breadsticks! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Comerman

For those that have a bit of counter top space , I got this last year and am very happy with it. No clue why the pics are so dark :-)

Comerman wrote: »
    For those that have a bit of counter top space , I got this last year and am very happy with it.

These are probably better pics

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Comerman wrote: »
    These are probably better pics

But...wh....why is..there pineapple on it..?

• Advertisement

Sincerest apologies for She who must be obeyed likes it, garlic mushrooms and pineapple :-l

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Because pineapple makes everything better, including pizza.

Pineapple on pizza is a beautiful thing if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Zaph wrote: »
    Because pineapple makes everything better, including pizza.

Always wondered why it has a hole in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Always wondered why it has a hole in it...

Desperate times! :eek:

Moving swiftly along, if you do use pineapple, make sure you squeeze the juice out of the chunks before putting them on.

Got the Koda out at lunchtime the other day and used tortilla wraps as bases. If you think dough cooks quickly, the wraps take a fraction of the time.

I've just bought a food timer that works in seconds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Datexx-TimeCube-Digital-Management-Routines/dp/B07KGGRR6L

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many phones will have countdown timers with alarms, I use mine all the time.

Have the pineapple freaks fans tried any other sweet/exotic/non traditional pizza fruit toppings (traditional like tomato or bell peppers), I heard of kiwi and strawberries being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

A pizza isn't a pizza without fruit.;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

rubadub wrote: »
    Many phones will have countdown timers with alarms, I use mine all the time.

Have the pineapple freaks fans tried any other sweet/exotic/non traditional pizza fruit toppings (traditional like tomato or bell peppers), I heard of kiwi and strawberries being used.

I had a pizza in Barcelona once that had apple on it. It was not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    A pizza isn't a pizza without fruit.;)

Tomato ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

It's not fruit but not sure how unusual this is. Was stuck for toppings last night so cracked an egg over it.

Advertisement