Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

wandererz wrote: »
    It's not fruit but not sure how unusual this is. Was stuck for toppings last night so cracked an egg over it.

Its traditional egg in calzone in Rome at least!
    Better than pineapple for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Zaph wrote: »
    I had a pizza in Barcelona once that had apple on it. It was not good.

I had strawberry and banana on one years ago in lanzarote. Absolutely knacker!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Apple is good on pizza, when combined w/ black pudding and bits of baby potato...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Zaph wrote: »
    I had a pizza in Barcelona once that had apple on it. It was not good.

When teenage mutant ninja turtles came out in the early 90s they launched an apple pizza with the characters. I remember begging my mother for it and it being absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

rubadub wrote: »
    Many phones will have countdown timers with alarms, I use mine all the time.

I’d looked at using my phone but it wasn’t loud enough. I’m very easily distracted. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I hate the thought of ham & pineapple pizza with cheese & tomato sauce. Just seems so wrong.

But pizza is just a bread, when I first say those goodfellas sweetfellas dessert pizzas I thought it was manky, but then copped on its must like a pastry with chocolate, most automatically think of pizza with cheese & tomato. If the dough was a bit sweeter and was just pineapple alone I would eat it, probably nice with ice cream, apple would be fine too, I eat apple tarts/pies/crumble. But I would not dream of add tomatoes or cheese or ham to an apple tart, or squirting ketchup on top.

Would the apple pizza fans think of adding tomato or cheese to an apple tart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Pipmae wrote: »
    The Karu is coming into Lakeland on the 1st June and they say they'll despatch it immediately.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62647/Ooni-Karu-Outdoor-Pizza-Oven-with-Baking-Stone-UU-P0A100

Register for an email alert re the infrared thermometer with Ooni. I managed to get one on Monday when they restocked a few.

Has anyone bought from here before?,i bought this oven yesterday but it was UK only delivery so i used DPD Parcel Wizard ,now Lakeland have got back to me saying the delivery address is different from the billing address so i need to provide them with a card issuer authorisation code to verify,I rang my bank and they have no idea what that is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

wandererz wrote: »
    It's not fruit but not sure how unusual this is. Was stuck for toppings last night so cracked an egg over it.

It's pretty common. Never had a Fiorentina pizza before?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

When teenage mutant ninja turtles came out in the early 90s they launched an apple pizza with the characters. I remember begging my mother for it and it being absolutely horrible.

Ah man I remember those! It was pizza you wouldn't leave out for the birds these days but we knew no better then! My mother used to cook it under the grill so the top would be dark brown and the base all soggy! :D Vile when I think about it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I’d looked at using my phone but it wasn’t loud enough. I’m very easily distracted. :rolleyes:

Alexa/Google Home will also keep time of whatever duration you tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

its too windy today, is the koda safe enough to use inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Apple pie with cheese is actually a thing in parts of America. It wouldn’t be for me because I’m not a fan of apple tart but apple and cheese is a delicious combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Apple pie with cheese is actually a thing in parts of America. It wouldn’t be for me because I’m not a fan of apple tart but apple and cheese is a delicious combination.

In the film Men in Black, Agent K always eat a slice of apple pie with Cheddar on top when he is in his favourite diner. I'm not some kind of MIB superfan, that just happened to be the answer to a quiz question that I read this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dont think thats a good idea in any circumstances. If you have a car garage that might be a better spot with the door open. Or if not maybe try turning it away from the prevailing wind and check what temperature it gets to.

It can be a pain though, I used the Ooni last night and it was soaking wet and windy too. The dough had been sitting out for 4 hours coming up to room temperature so there was no cancelling it. Best I could get it up to was 390 degrees so had to launch at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

They say not to, likely due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and the heat inside. If you had a CO alarm nearby and used it near a door with plenty of airflow and removing anything remotely flammable near it I would say it’ll be grand, but be very careful and stay with it througout

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Alexa/Google Home will also keep time of whatever duration you tell them.

Alexa’s probably the most unreliable piece of technology I’ve come across. She never bloody listens! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I love pizza and have had many attempts over the years to make a proper pizza at home. Had help from friends who are chefs and eventually I got it.

Good pizza is all about the base and therefore the dough. Then you need a got hot oven.
    Also pizza and pasta are cheap foods made from basic ingredients. Nothing elaborate needed for dough and sauce. The more elaborate you go the more likely you get it wrong. Restaurants make the best pizzas and you can be sure they do it the cheapest and quickest way possible, just the way it should be.

Dough - basic plain flour, water, salt and fresh yeast. Go for about 200 to 220 grams of dough for one regular sized pizza.

I usually aim for something in the 800 grams of dough for 4 pizzas. Thats 500gr flour and about 300 to 330 ml of water. Plus a good teaspoon of salt and a piece of yeats about the size of a 9v battery. Maybe a little less. Doesn't have to be super precise.

I make sure the water is warm and pour it into a large bowl and then I dissolve the yeast and the salt in it. Then I add about a quarter of the flour and use a hand mixer until there are no clumps of flour left at all. Just a nice even mix. Then I add the remaining flour and mix by hand. Then I knead the dough on the worktop until it no longer sticks to my hands and has become proper gooey. Doesn't really take that long, just a few minutes no more than 5.
    Then I put the dough back into the bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let sit for at least 2 hours in a warm sport, room temperature or a little more. It raises quite a bit in a warm sport in only just 30 minutes but you just knead again and let sit again. There is a big drop in quality if you go for less than 2 hours.

Sauce - Tin of tomato, a little bit of paper and salt, small clove of garlic if you like. Blend. Done.

Cheese - I find the grated mozzarella in a bag the best. Other cheeses can be used. Fresh mozzarella is too wet and makes for a runny pizza. Don't put too much cheese on it.

Toppings - do not put too much on it. Classic pizza has 2 or 3 toppings and not heaps of it either. Its going to be plenty as it is.

Oven - Needs to be hot, a lot hotter than a regular kitchen oven. I have one of those and it's very good. The drawback is you can only make one pizza at a time. I heat it up almost to the max (2 and 3/4, 3 is max) and the pizza will be ready in 5 minutes. The temperature is 350 Celsius or more in that oven.

The above procedure will get you a pizza that is as good as any you will get in a restaurant. After a few tries you'll get it just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

... I make sure the water is warm

How warm is warm? e.g. do you boil it and then let it cool a little. Or, if you let cold water from the tap get to room temperature is that warm enough?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Has anyone bought from here before?,i bought this oven yesterday but it was UK only delivery so i used DPD Parcel Wizard ,now Lakeland have got back to me saying the delivery address is different from the billing address so i need to provide them with a card issuer authorisation code to verify,I rang my bank and they have no idea what that is :confused:

Yes I've bought from here with no issues re delivery. It cost Stg£10 - I bought a Keter table thing to put my pizza oven on when it gets here. This one: -

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62620/Keter-Unity-Outdoor-Kitchen-Portable-Barbecue-Station

It was delivered by DHL within 3 days of ordering and I ordered straight to my house in Co Meath with no issues. They must have changed their terms and condions re delivering to the South of Ireland. A bit like most of the sellers on Amazon Prime. :rolleyes:

tmh106 wrote: »
    How warm is warm? e.g. do you boil it and then let it cool a little. Or, if you let cold water from the tap get to room temperature is that warm enough?

Thanks.

I'd say lukewarm to whatever you would comfortable wash your hands with. Its not that important really. Cold water will work too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

tmh106 wrote: »

Thanks.

I think about 38°c is the ideal temp for activating yeast. We have a kettle that you can set the temp at, and I'd 'boil' it to 40°c and either let cool or throw in a drop of cold water to drop the temp that little bit. I use a thermometer to check.

Also, I thought you weren't meant to let salt and yeast touch until you were mixing the dough?

scarepanda wrote: »
    I think about 38°c is the ideal temp for activating yeast. We have a kettle that you can set the temp at, and I'd 'boil' it to 40°c and either let cool or throw in a drop of cold water to drop the temp that little bit. I use a thermometer to check.

Also, I thought you weren't meant to let salt and yeast touch until you were mixing the dough?

I don't know I never experienced any bad effects from it. I figured thats how I can easily make sure the salt is properly spread throughout the dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Maybe I'm wrong. Its just something I've always been told/read in recipes. I think it's to do with the salt and yeast reacting, the salt kills the yeast? Or something to that effect anyways. I don't know for definite though. I add the salt to my flour when I'm sieving it, so it gets spread around that way for me before I add the wet ingredients.

We're having pizza tomorrow. I made the dough yesterday. I usually do a quick proof of a couple of hours so it'll be interesting to see if there's any major difference. I also accidentally added more water than usual, so we'll see how that goes. Does a wetter dough make stretching easier or harder?
    I really want to order an ooni, but have decided to wait till next year. We can't really afford it at the moment as we have stuff to do on the house. And the oven in the new house has a pizza setting and while not perfect it's made all the difference over the cheap oven we used to use.

the salt kills the yeast? Or something to that effect anyways. I don't know for definite though. I add the salt to my flour when I'm sieving it, so it gets spread around that way for me before I add the wet ingredients.
    Too much will kill it, I expect adding to water will inhibit it somewhat. I put the yeast in water with a small bit of sugar to get it off to a good start. I mix salt with dry flour like you say and I can't recall ever seeing a recipe saying to add it to the water.

I use water at body temp or slightly lower, I just go by feel. I microwave it and spill it on my hand, if you are using the same amount of water each time then you can figure out how many seconds you need, that is using the same jug/cup for the water. In winter the tap water will be a bit colder of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

rubadub wrote:
    Too much will kill it, I expect adding to water will inhibit it somewhat. I put the yeast in water with a small bit of sugar to get it off to a good start. I mix salt with dry flour like you say and I can't recall ever seeing a recipe saying to add it to the water.

Ooni recipe says to mix the salt and yeast with the water!

Peckham wrote: »
    Ooni recipe says to mix the salt and yeast with the water!
    searching it I instantly saw loads warning against it, but now see this interesting page, and there were several others.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/51417/saltyeast-method

people purposely "stressing the yeast". They are not even using all the water at the start, but putting all the salt & yeast into small amounts of water and leaving for hours.

A link from that discussion about it making better bread.
    https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2009/09/29/Salt-stressed-yeast-leads-to-bigger-softer-bread-Study

Maybe I'm wrong. Its just something I've always been told/read in recipes. I think it's to do with the salt and yeast reacting, the salt kills the yeast? Or something to that effect anyways. I don't know for definite though. I add the salt to my flour when I'm sieving it, so it gets spread around that way for me before I add the wet ingredients.

Wouldnt surprise me if you were right, salt isn't really kind to anything that lives in general. But like I said I never noticed any bad effect, the dough rises very well no problem there.

Shouldn't make a huge difference. Which ever way you do it the salt will get mixed in with it all anyways. My way it gets to the yeast 1 minute earlier.

But I gonna look that up now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

I love pizza and have had many attempts over the years to make a proper pizza at home. Had help from friends who are chefs and eventually I got it.

Good pizza is all about the base and therefore the dough. Then you need a got hot oven.
    Also pizza and pasta are cheap foods made from basic ingredients. Nothing elaborate needed for dough and sauce. The more elaborate you go the more likely you get it wrong. Restaurants make the best pizzas and you can be sure they do it the cheapest and quickest way possible, just the way it should be.

Dough - basic plain flour, water, salt and fresh yeast. Go for about 200 to 220 grams of dough for one regular sized pizza.

I usually aim for something in the 800 grams of dough for 4 pizzas. Thats 500gr flour and about 300 to 330 ml of water. Plus a good teaspoon of salt and a piece of yeats about the size of a 9v battery. Maybe a little less. Doesn't have to be super precise.

I make sure the water is warm and pour it into a large bowl and then I dissolve the yeast and the salt in it. Then I add about a quarter of the flour and use a hand mixer until there are no clumps of flour left at all. Just a nice even mix. Then I add the remaining flour and mix by hand. Then I knead the dough on the worktop until it no longer sticks to my hands and has become proper gooey. Doesn't really take that long, just a few minutes no more than 5.
    Then I put the dough back into the bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let sit for at least 2 hours in a warm sport, room temperature or a little more. It raises quite a bit in a warm sport in only just 30 minutes but you just knead again and let sit again. There is a big drop in quality if you go for less than 2 hours.

Sauce - Tin of tomato, a little bit of paper and salt, small clove of garlic if you like. Blend. Done.

Cheese - I find the grated mozzarella in a bag the best. Other cheeses can be used. Fresh mozzarella is too wet and makes for a runny pizza. Don't put too much cheese on it.

Toppings - do not put too much on it. Classic pizza has 2 or 3 toppings and not heaps of it either. Its going to be plenty as it is.

Oven - Needs to be hot, a lot hotter than a regular kitchen oven. I have one of those and it's very good. The drawback is you can only make one pizza at a time. I heat it up almost to the max (2 and 3/4, 3 is max) and the pizza will be ready in 5 minutes. The temperature is 350 Celsius or more in that oven.

The above procedure will get you a pizza that is as good as any you will get in a restaurant. After a few tries you'll get it just right.

1oo% agree good pizza is all about the dough keep the toppings simple. There is a massive difference between a slow 2 day cold ferment in a fridge with a tiny amount of yeast with 00 flour and and a 1 hour ferment with ordinary strong flour. The flavour is completely different and the structure is better and much easier to use. You can't harm yeast with cold, i keep a supply of fresh yeast in the freezer in case they don't have any in the polish shop. Years ago I had to buy fresh yeast in a 1 kg block and with difficulty because bakers weren't really supposed to sell it Poitin making and all that. You may well laugh but the truth.
    Anyway flavour develops with slow ferment one two three days make a few dough balls put them in the fridge and take them out a few hours before using. How flexible is that. If you really want to do it quickly ie 1 hour proof warm water means body temperature. Put you finger in and if the water is hotter than your finger its too hot. Heat kills yeast cold doesn't.
    Salt kills yeast too that's why its diluted before contact with at least some flour. A biga is also worth considering mixing yeast small amount of flour and water the day before making the dough and using it as a starter. It used all the time in ciabatta type breads and again its about developing flavour and structure.
    Theres no extra work in planning a day or 2 ahead and if I had an Ooni oven with 20 mins heating time I would have dough balls in the fridge the whole time. You can always throw the ball into the oven and have a very nice bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mango in a salsa with lime, onion and tomato is fantastic. You've probably had it.

My wife puts pineapple in Kimchi - it's really, really good.

As mentioned , apple and black pudding is a great combo.

Pork and apple?

Redcurrant jelly with beef?

Cranberry with turkey ?

Duck with orange?

Cheese with quince?

Shall I go on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

hargo wrote: »
    Hi all, I have just come across this thread and thought I might add my 2 cents worth.
    I started making pizza at home about 40 years ago and have tried all sorts of dough receipes and methods with varying success over the time, About 10 years ago a friend said why not build an oven and so I did. There were no Ooni's then or I probably have gone down that road.
    So for those who were thinking of building one from scratch
    If you you are handy and like a project you will great great fun and satisfaction out of it.
    You have to be patient, the build is a slow process, I did one ring of bricks at a time, let them set and then another etc.
    You have to be patient when lighting it first and that goes for the kit type also, small fires over a week to properly dry it out. A friend of mine rushed this and split his!
    You need plenty of timber, they are hungry beasts
    They take a 3 hours at least to heat up
    Really good insulation is key and they take days to cool down. I have cooked pizza on Christmas eve , cleaned all the ashes out Christmas day and cooked my turkey on the residual heat, roast spuds, slow roasts the next days just from the heat in the bricks.

Thanks for the tips on building one. I mentioned what you said to my dad about laying one row ring of bricks at a time and he reckons it’s possible to build the bricks separately using a template of sorts and then place them on then oven in one go. He used to work in construction and he said it would be a similar method used when building a arch. I’ve probably explained it badly but any idea if this would work?

Advertisement