Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Yes, it was really better than expected. Still need improve on my turning skills but this thing really rocks.
    For anyone get a turning peel I got mine from amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018XT5ZG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This one is big so might not suit Koda but Amazon has smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aldi's Sourdough Pizza bases are superb in the Koda. Really strong so you can load your toppings on and crispy as you like after a minute. :D

yeah I was using them for a few weeks when I couldnt get any 00 flour and they're really good.

Had a dough disaster last night, ripped it badly so had to re-start and ball it again. But that way lies the dreaded bounce back where no matter how much you stretch it keeps shrinking back down to original size. Id no choice but to get the rolling pin out and even then could barely roll it to 9 inches. Must find a way to solve that because it happens from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I was using them for a few weeks when I couldnt get any 00 flour and they're really good.

Had a dough disaster last night, ripped it badly so had to re-start and ball it again. But that way lies the dreaded bounce back where no matter how much you stretch it keeps shrinking back down to original size. Id no choice but to get the rolling pin out and even then could barely roll it to 9 inches. Must find a way to solve that because it happens from time to time

I’ve found the best way is it just leave it balled and covered (so it doesn’t crust over) for 20 or 30 mins to let the gluten relax, and it should stretch out again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Pizza made on the Ooni this evening. Very tasty. One little thing though. The base of my pizza is a little sloppy/ floppy. Why would this be? Base too thin? Sauce too watery? Any suggestions please....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

maximo31 wrote: »
    Pizza made on the Ooni this evening. Very tasty. One little thing though. The base of my pizza is a little sloppy/ floppy. Why would this be? Base too thin? Sauce too watery? Any suggestions please....

Too much water in the dough mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I’m my experience, it could be that the stone wasn’t hot enough, the toppings were too heavy, the base was too thick or there was too much sauce... it’s trial and error I think

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I’ve found the best way is it just leave it balled and covered (so it doesn’t crust over) for 20 or 30 mins to let the gluten relax, and it should stretch out again

True that.
    Once you reball the gluten structures get very tight.
    Need to give it time .

Micht try an aldi sourdough base - what is cook time on them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Looks like an amazing oven.

For those with the charcoal version, is it purely charcoal that you are using? lumpwood?
    Do you regret not going for the gas version? seems like there is an issue with maintaining temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

carq wrote: »
    True that.
    Micht try an aldi sourdough base - what is cook time on them ?

The pack says 8-10 minutes but it's done in a minute in my Koda.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The pack says 8-10 minutes but it's done in a minute in my Koda.

Any pictures of these?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any pictures of these?

AE4-C701-E-F875-4374-B745-C408-BDEC428-C.jpg

They’re by the butter fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Ah lads.. ye can’t have wood fired ovens and use pre packed bases!!

Ah lads.. ye can’t have wood fired ovens and use pre packed bases!!

I needed some in a rush. Thought I’d try pre packed. I was very impressed! (I also made 7 from dough, if that keeps you happy). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

First time trying dough from frozen. Worked well for a Friday lunch time treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

RonnieL wrote: »
    First time trying dough from frozen. Worked well for a Friday lunch time treat.

How long do they take to defrost? Overnight in fridge or can you take them out at room temp a few hours before.

My Ooni Karu landed this morning put it together already. Have to say it's a very well built piece of kit for €250. Have to go make my dough now!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Ryath wrote: »
    How long do they take to defrost? Overnight in fridge or can you take them out at room temp a few hours before.

My Ooni Karu landed this morning put it together already. Have to say it's a very well built piece of kit for €250. Have to go make my dough now!

Well I guess it depends on the size etc, but I took it out of the freezer yesterday morning, left it in the fridge until this morning, and cooked at lunch time. I suspect it would work well taking them out of the freezer in the morning and using them in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I’m about to take dough out of the freezer now to cook later. It’ll defrost in no time on the counter in these temperatures. Did it last week too and it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Much success! No accidental calzones. Used the ooni app to do a 3hr prove for the dough. Didn't think the Ooni was going to come today so hadn't planned ahead! Made them thicker than usual and used plenty of cornmeal. I'll have to get semolina and practise getting them thinner.

Very impressed with it, it really is very economical only took a tray of charcoal to cook the 4 pizzas and I had to go make the next one after cooking one so it was burning for at least 40 minutes with warm up. Id say I could have cooked at least one more. 2 minutes turning a quarter every 30 seconds.

514688.jpg

514689.jpg

514690.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Lidl have a cool base food storage container on sale today. It's €8.99. Could do as a container for pizza dough too. I know some were asking about these before....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Who knew it would be so hard to get a pizza oven!,everywhere across Europe sold out and with a minimum 2/3 months wait time..if anybody knows of places selling them could you post it on here..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Who knew it would be so hard to get a pizza oven!,everywhere across Europe sold out and with a minimum 2/3 months wait time..if anybody knows of places selling them could you post it on here..

Built mine today. It's been sitting in the box over 12 months after I saw it reduced in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Lidl have a cool base food storage container on sale today. It's €8.99. Could do as a container for pizza dough too. I know some were asking about these before....
    I bought these for when I ball up and leave to prove, just coat them with a bit of olive oil. (as recommended on FB ooni UK group)
    And if you don't use all the dough just pop it in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Dough offer two days in the fridge slow fermented ready to be made into balls 3 grams fresh yeast per 1 kg of flour. This allows the dough to develop flavour and structure so even after the dough is knocked back and kneeded for 30 seconds it still has loads of little air bubbles Left the dough balls for another 4 hours before cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Pizza and garlic bread in 60 seconds my favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

RasTa wrote: »

We have had this for a good while before we upgraded to the koda. It's works ok just but it isn't insulated whatsoever so it doesn't retain enough heat other than to to one or two pizzas before temps drop too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

Alkers wrote: »
    We have had this for a good while before we upgraded to the koda. It's works ok just but it isn't insulated whatsoever so it doesn't retain enough heat other than to to one or two pizzas before temps drop too much.

Agreed. I have the Aldi version which is the same. The problem is that the heat comes from below the pizza. It's better than cooking pizza in a normal oven but the Koda is a million times better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I got myself a Karu and now just need a thermometer gun,any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I got myself a Karu and now just need a thermometer gun,any recommendations?

Thermapro is probably the leading brand but they can be pricey for what they are. To be honest I think its much of a muchness with IR thermometers.

I got mine on Amazon, its called Benetech GM550 and cost me £12, Have had it 18 months now and its used most weeks and its going grand. Takes a 9 volt battery which wasnt included.

Advertisement