Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Nice crust on that one. Is it from an Ooni?

It is, ooni pro with logs and charcoal. I didnt have it hot enough but still turned out OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Pizza on parchment paper=no more sticky accidents. works a treat so long as you trim paper after putting dough on it. after about 30 -60 seconds in oven you can pull in from beneath dough and continue cooking if necessary.

Whats the base like after doing that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Whats the base like after doing that ?

perfect, after about 40 seconds, prob my 3rd turning of pizza, i pulled parchment from under neath and from then on the base was touching the stone.

I dont know if anyone seen the DIY challange on RTE (Mega cringe most of the time!!) but a guy built a fantasitc pizza oven.
    Its a shame he didnt go into more details.
    Its ep 2 (i think) and on the RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I dont know if anyone seen the DIY challange on RTE (Mega cringe most of the time!!) but a guy built a fantasitc pizza oven.

Thanks, I’ll check it. I’m seriously considering a DIY oven.

• Advertisement

You should start a new thread.
    Im mad to do it too but I've a load of projects on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

So an update from me. I managed to order a Koda 16 from John Lewis yesterday and it looks like I'll get it Friday or Monday (it's going to Parcel Motel so I assume it won't fit in a locker so will have to be redirected to my home address so that might add a day onto delivery).

I have a regular sized Koda being despatched to me from Ooni HQ early July (I ordered on 26th April). I won't need it now assuming the JL delivery gets to me safely.

Before I cancel the order would anyone here like to buy it from me at face value. It is €279 if collected from East Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Pipmae wrote: »
    So an update from me. I managed to order a Koda 16 from John Lewis yesterday and it looks like I'll get it Friday or Monday (it's going to Parcel Motel so I assume it won't fit in a locker so will have to be redirected to my home address so that might add a day onto delivery).

I have a regular sized Koda being despatched to me from Ooni HQ early July (I ordered on 26th April). I won't need it now assuming the JL delivery gets to me safely.

Before I cancel the order would anyone here like to buy it from me at face value. It is €279 if collected from East Meath.

I would take that off you

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

I think you will be able to resell it no bother and even for a profit if you so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I saw that, yer man did an amazing job on the pizza oven, it looked professionally produced. iirc he cut an old gym ball in half and then used that as a mould for the oven and insulated around it. The brickwork on it is what stood out to me, it looked great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

Does the UK one not need a different gas connector?

if not, I'm interested if mloc123 doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

bobk wrote: »
    if not, I'm interested if mloc123 doesn't

I've made arrangements with mloc123 but if for any reason she/he changes their mind I'll give you a shout.;)

The UK is 37 mBar - the same as Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Don't build it like on the show!!
    He used vermiculite to form and make the oven. Vermiculite is an insulation. You need to use fire bricks to form the dome and vermiculite or ceramic wool over it to insulate.
    His looked great but can't see it working too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1483707003

Stagioni 00 Pizza Napoletana Flour (1 Kilogram)
    €1.50 €1.50 per kg
    Usuals
    WAS 1.95, NOW 1.50, SAVE 0.45
    Valid: May 21st - Jun 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

hargo wrote: »
    Don't build it like on the show!!
    He used vermiculite to form and make the oven. Vermiculite is an insulation. You need to use fire bricks to form the dome and vermiculite or ceramic wool over it to insulate.
    His looked great but can't see it working too well.

Just wondering why you say that? I've seen many videos on youtube with people using that method.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

You should start a new thread.
    Im mad to do it too but I've a load of projects on the go.

Good idea. I’ll do that if I decide to go ahead.
    I’ve also seen lots of videos using the vermiculite in the same way as the guy on the show. Doesn’t mean they are right of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

RonnieL wrote: »

Just wondering why you say that? I've seen many videos on youtube with people using that method.

Cannot see how vermiculite is going to store any heat its an insulator. I put 150mm of it under the floor as insulation. There is no way that vermiculite concrete is going to last a few proper hot firings.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Has anyone any experience with or thoughts on the Stadler Made Wood Oven?
    https://www.stadlermade.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Am I right in thinking the circular steel pizza peels are the best for rotating? I'm due to get my oven at the end of the month and have started looking around for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nokotan wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the circular steel pizza peels are the best for rotating? I'm due to get my oven at the end of the month and have started looking around for them.

All explained here....

https://got2eatpizza.com/4-best-reasons-to-use-a-turning-pizza-peel-for-your-pizza-oven/

I have a square metal one that i use for launching, turning & removing. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

All explained here....

https://got2eatpizza.com/4-best-reasons-to-use-a-turning-pizza-peel-for-your-pizza-oven/

I have a square metal one that i use for launching, turning & removing. :eek:

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Good idea. I’ll do that if I decide to go ahead.
    I’ve also seen lots of videos using the vermiculite in the same way as the guy on the show. Doesn’t mean they are right of course.

Im in the middle of an exercise ball pizza oven based on a vermiculite build. Several people i know have them also. They work really well which is why I chose that method.

Many people advise against using heat cement for the dome on an exercise ball build as it cracks. It seems to work well though for pre-formed kits.

I'm using firebrick for the cooking floor bonded with heat cement.

I guess Ill just have to wait and see :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We use this one for turning and find it brilliant. You do have to take the pizza out for a couple of seconds, but it's quick and simple, and the peel wasn't too expensive (£12, but I see they're out of stock at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Im in the middle of an exercise ball pizza oven based on a vermiculite build. Several people i know have them also. They work really well which is why I chose that method.

Many people advise against using heat cement for the dome on an exercise ball build as it cracks. It seems to work well though for pre-formed kits.

I'm using firebrick for the cooking floor bonded with heat cement.

I guess Ill just have to wait and see :)

I'd love to see/hear more about your project if you care to share :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

I have this one for rotating;
    FALCI 249964-90 Round Pizza Paddle, Stainless Steel, Diameter 19 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DW3QIQW/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_ryI4Eb4XM4ZX1

The thinness of the metal peel and circular shape allow you to easily get under the pizza and to rotate without removing the pizza.

This particular one allows you to use a regular broom handle to whatever length you need. Although I've been using as is without any problem so far.

And this one for launching:

Relaxdays XXL Pizza Peel made of Wood w/ Extra-Long Handle, Size: 1 x 30 x 78 cm Pizza Shovel Carrier, Natural https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M4M4DG2/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_qAI4EbQY6KHW5

Im in the middle of an exercise ball pizza oven based on a vermiculite build.

Yes please share some info and pics over on DIY !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Yes please share some info and pics over on DIY !

your wish is my command

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113703436#post113703436

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I wouldn't get hung up about launching peels, turning peels or anything else.

I used the ooni classic peel for ages without issue (the metal sheet style) and now just use a metal one with a wooden handle.

The amount of time you spend out of the oven when turning it manually is really no different to the time you spend with a turning peel. When you're starting out, getting to the rhythm of taking the pizza out and turning every 25/30 seconds saves many a burned pizza.

on my side - 10kg of Caputo Blue Pizzeria just arrived today - should get me a few months pizza making out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

picked up some of this in Supervalu the other day - 13g protein. They also had some other variety which I think had a slightly lower protein level. €1.50 a bag

image.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Lidl Wilton had this in stock yesterday, 1 kg for 65c. It is only 9.7% protein but I use vital wheat gluten to bump up plain flour protein to make strong flour for my sourdough baking anyway. Just in case it is useful to anyone.

Advertisement