Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

loyatemu wrote: »
    picked up some of this in Supervalu the other day - 13g protein. They also had some other variety which I think had a slightly lower protein level. €1.50 a bag

[/url]

Must look out for that, 13% is as high as Ive seen, my current bag is just 10% :(

I got 500g of wheat gluten in a health food shop a few days back so will boost it with that for the next batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    I wouldn't get hung up about launching peels, turning peels or anything else.

I used the ooni classic peel for ages without issue (the metal sheet style) and now just use a metal one with a wooden handle.

The amount of time you spend out of the oven when turning it manually is really no different to the time you spend with a turning peel. When you're starting out, getting to the rhythm of taking the pizza out and turning every 25/30 seconds saves many a burned pizza.

on my side - 10kg of Caputo Blue Pizzeria just arrived today - should get me a few months pizza making out of it.

Did you order from youdreamitaly by any chance?? Just wondering how long they take!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Ooni Fyra arrived during the week (order date Apr 28).

Local woodies didnt have stafford wood pellets (even though on web its says they are in stock). Anywhere else around Dublin (not woodies) that stocks Stafford Pellets (or similar).

I did see Weber Hickory Pellets in my local garden centre, but thought that even though they are hardwood, not sure I wanted that flavour from them.

Ideas on where to get food grade pellets in Dublin? Dough been in the fridge since Wed evening!

Ooni Fyra arrived during the week (order date Apr 28).

Local woodies didnt have stafford wood pellets (even though on web its says they are in stock). Anywhere else around Dublin (not woodies) that stocks Stafford Pellets (or similar).

I did see Weber Hickory Pellets in my local garden centre, but thought that even though they are hardwood, not sure I wanted that flavour from them.

Ideas on where to get food grade pellets in Dublin? Dough been in the fridge since Wed evening!

Hey, I’ve a big bag of them I’m not going to use. I’m in Rathcoole if you want to collect today? PM me.

Hey, I’ve a big bag of them I’m not going to use. I’m in Rathcoole if you want to collect today? PM me.

cheers for that. I actually spoke to Woodies in Coolock and they have them in stock.

Appreciate the offer though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Yea..right.

This sounds like a Netflix film....

The house will be rented, or he's "looking after" it, the real owners are probably cocooning in wexford.

You'll walk in,he will show you the pellets. ...next thing.... THUD!!!...you'll be wacked on the head with a 14" pizza peel.

When you wake up, you'll be surrounded by a Fyra, a Koda 16, a Karu,a Pro,an Ooni 3, and 7 Kodas ( because this evil **** has been buying them all up ).

As he cooks, you'll slowly burn, your skin will be rolled,beaten and stretched to be made into a pizza base.....your body parts will be the toppings......you'll be eaten at the inaugural "Boards Ooni pizza meat up"....the play on words will be at your expense.

In the movie,Michael C.Hall will play the pellet seller, you will be played by Richard Bartlett Schroder.

Chan Chan Man...don't forget to dispose of the car .

Btw, talking about flours.

I picked up a couple of bags of Stagioni 00 Flour from Supervalu the other day (alongside the red caputo). The Stagioni is apparently 13% protein, so be interesting to see how it is.

http://le5stagioni.it/Cms_Data/Contents/CinqueStagioni/Folders/Products/~contents/DDVJV64MDJJZNFNW/L5S_SchedeSITO_NapoletanaRossa.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

https://imgur.com/a/SvJAFzB

Bit of work to get oven up on frame but worked out great in the end.
    Have used it a few times now and pizza are excellent,cook in about 2 min

Repainted it to clean it up ,a white acrylic masonry outdoor paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

RonTon wrote: »
    https://imgur.com/a/SvJAFzB

Bit of work to get oven up on frame but worked out great in the end.
    Have used it a few times now and pizza are excellent,cook in about 2 min

Repainted it to clean it up ,a white acrylic masonry outdoor paint

Nice job, love the steel frame!! Is this a home build, kit or pro installation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

Nice job, love the steel frame!! Is this a home build, kit or pro installation?

A buddy made it for me ,he had all the lifting equipment too . A-frame ,2 chain blocks , it weights about 700kg , I’d hate to have tried lifting it with a digger on straps

• Advertisement

Frame looks great Ronton, Im on the look out for a catering table that is similar and can store wood logs for the stove in winter too. 700kg is some weight, that wont ever be going anywhere;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

First ever attempt at a neapolitan style pizza cooked in a regular oven. Some problems, the dough was just about cooked but no crunch but the cheese was over done. Anyway, suppose you have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

First ever attempt at a neapolitan style pizza cooked in a regular oven. Some problems, the dough was just about cooked but no crunch but the cheese was over done. Anyway, suppose you have to start somewhere.

What temp & how long?
    What did you place the pizza on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

To me the dough looks undercooked.
    Are you using a pizza stone?
    Is that grated mozzarella? If so I’d advise you to avoid it. We used it for years and I realise now that it was a mistake. It cooks far too quickly. All the same, that looks like a good pizza for a first effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Did some experimenting last night.

Made a batch of 70% hydration dough for a 6hr RT prove.
    Made a 65% hydration dough also with some gluten added to the flour.

Long story short i wont be going near the 70% again. Disaster to work with from mixing (25 minute mix and dough was still stick and porridge like), to kneading (sticky) , dough strength wasnt there when putting on toppings so couldn't stretch too far.
    Launch was an issue for some also with sticking issues.

Will stick to 65% and mess with the gluten to see what gives best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

carq wrote: »
    Did some experimenting last night.

Made a batch of 70% hydration dough for a 6hr RT prove.
    Made a 65% hydration dough also with some gluten added to the flour.

Long story short i wont be going near the 70% again. Disaster to work with from mixing (25 minute mix and dough was still stick and porridge like), to kneading (sticky) , dough strength wasnt there when putting on toppings so couldn't stretch too far.
    Launch was an issue for some also with sticking issues.

Will stick to 65% and mess with the gluten to see what gives best results.

25 minute mix? What do you mean by that? 70% shouldn't ever really be too difficult to work with. Something has gone awry

So, Ooni Fyra arrived during the week.

Did a 72 hour cold ferment using Dececco 00 flour (11% protein). So, mixed, kneaded, room temp for 2 hours, into the fridge for 72. Out of the fridge, balled them up (love that part) and left at room temp for 3 hours before stretching.

No problem getting the Fyra super hot. Just light those pellets and load them in (and keep loading). I dont have a thermometer but I gave it a good 30 minutes, think it was humming.

Stretching the dough was tricky enough (the pizzas were too thin and I had a hole in one), I think I made my dough balls a little small at 200g, will make bigger next time (with stronger flour). Easy enough to get them onto the peel (using semolina on peel) and simple to launch into the fyra.

So for a first time, it was a success. Its fun yet fairly stressful!

pizza.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

[/url]

Wow that looks delicious! Soft and chewy.

How thick was the crust before it went in the oven?

Also just remembered. Bought some of the Abrakebabra garlic sauce for crusts just to see what its like. Tastes perfectly fake like it does at 3am.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-mayonnaise-salad-cream-abrakebabra-garlic-sauce-270-millilitre-/p-1671440000

Check the fat content. 76.4%!! :eek:

The Nal wrote: »
    Wow that looks delicious! Soft and chewy.

How thick was the crust before it went in the oven?

Also just remembered. Bought some of the Abrakebabra garlic sauce for crusts just to see what its like. Tastes perfectly fake like it does at 3am.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-mayonnaise-salad-cream-abrakebabra-garlic-sauce-270-millilitre-/p-1671440000

Check the fat content. 76.4%!! :eek:

I used the Gozney video from youtube to shape the dough - https://youtu.be/B46BOUgr180. Basically flour your dough ball and press down in the middle to form a decent crust about 2cm high. And then work the dough with your knuckles (or use gravity) to stretch it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I used the Gozney video from youtube to shape the dough - https://youtu.be/B46BOUgr180. Basically flour your dough ball and press down in the middle to form a decent crust about 2cm high. And then work the dough with your knuckles (or use gravity) to stretch it out.

My dough has never (yet) been that compliant as to that video. I have an ability to make to make the most elastic dough known to man that returns to near its original form. I am lucky to get 9inch pizza's from 230g. They still taste great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

krissovo wrote: »
    My dough has never (yet) been that compliant as to that video. I have an ability to make to make the most elastic dough known to man that returns to near its original form. I am lucky to get 9inch pizza's from 230g. They still taste great though.

Have never made a dough that looks and acts like his either but I have made some nice dough. I get 4 x 12" ish pizzas from 500g of flour.

500g flour
    Teaspoon salt
    7g sachet yeast or fresh yeast (have used from 10g to 25g to varying results)
    325ml warm water

Knead, divide into 4 balls, rest at room temp until doubled, pizza time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 villamar

I have followed the Ooni recipe diligently but each time I find their recommended 5x160g dough balls from 500g "00" flour are too small and mean bases are too thin. Last night I had 3 dough balls and made them into 2 and result was much better. I think my bases with strong white flour in the bread maker were better than "00", so far.

Yeah you'd want to be some sort of pizza expert to stretch out a 12 inch pizza from only 160g of dough without it tearing, I dont know how they do it. I find 225-250g is a fair bit easier.

The Ooni app has a dough calculator on it that allows you to specify what weight you want the final dough ball to be and then it fills in the quantities of all the other ingredients for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Did a 72 hour cold ferment using Dececco 00 flour (11% protein). So, mixed, kneaded, room temp for 2 hours, into the fridge for 72. Out of the fridge, balled them up (love that part) and left at room temp for 3 hours before stretching.

No problem getting the Fyra super hot. Just light those pellets and load them in (and keep loading). I dont have a thermometer but I gave it a good 30 minutes, think it was humming.

Stretching the dough was tricky enough (the pizzas were too thin and I had a hole in one), I think I made my dough balls a little small at 200g, will make bigger next time (with stronger flour). Easy enough to get them onto the peel (using semolina on peel) and simple to launch into the fyra.

So for a first time, it was a success. Its fun yet fairly stressful!

pizza.jpg

Great looking pizza!

You want about 270 gram balls for 12 inch pizza and if you try use 10% semolina and 90% 00 That was a tip I got from the lady in Little Italy a few years back helps with the crust.
    Also if I might say you will be served better just putting the dough straight to the fridge for slow ferment rather than leave out for 2 hours first.
    A lot of people recommend mixing your liquid with 70% of the flour first leave to stand for 20 to 30 minutes and then add the rest of the flour and kneed as usual. This helps with the gluten formation and also the kneeding. You might like to try.
    What % hydration did you use?

Went with 60% hydration for a first go. I was pretty happy with the dough but might push it up to 62% this week. More interested in seeing the difference that Caputo red (13%) will make over DeCecco (11%).

Probably very little, but sure lets see. Its all a bit of fun (yet bloody tasty!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Has anyone got discount code please? Any recommendation of gas v wood or both?

Thinking of the koda 16 gas but very long lead time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Pete123456

s_gr wrote: »
    Has anyone got discount code please? Any recommendation of gas v wood or both?

Thinking of the koda 16 gas but very long lead time..

If you search the forum a good few of us put up referral links for 10% and there was also 20% floating around but not sure if that is still valid. Sorry, too lazy to look mine up :p

96 hour pizza dough done today...accidentally as it was meant to be 24 hour and never got to it! Turned out great.

Looks great, what mozz do you use?

Have a dough fermenting in the fridge at the moment and I think I might have over done the yeast a bit, the cling film on the bowl has expanded upwards into a football shape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Pipmae

The standard Koda in stock in John Lewis now. You have to use Parcel Motel.

Advertisement