Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Looks great, what mozz do you use?

Have a dough fermenting in the fridge at the moment and I think I might have over done the yeast a bit, the cling film on the bowl has expanded upwards into a football shape

How much yeast is in there? I only had 0.2g, about 1/8 of a teaspoon! Thought it would be too little but was actually fine. The mozzarella is buffalo mozz from aldi, one of my favourites! Should have left it to dry a bit longer before putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I think there was about half a teaspoon, my hand slipped but I dumped it in anyway! Im expecting this dough to be very gassy, its tripled in size and has used all the oxygen in the bowl and is now trying to burst the cling film like a balloon lol

Do you just leave the mozz out sliced for an hour to dry it out or do it with paper towels. Ive been using grated mozz for a while now but want to get away from that but looking for one that isnt full of water

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I think there was about half a teaspoon, my hand slipped but I dumped it in anyway! Im expecting this dough to be very gassy, its tripled in size and has used all the oxygen in the bowl and is now trying to burst the cling film like a balloon lol

Do you just leave the mozz out sliced for an hour to dry it out or do it with paper towels. Ive been using grated mozz for a while now but want to get away from that but looking for one that isnt full of water

Worth a try anyway!! I’d say the dough will be fine! It will be interesting to see if it makes it lighter and puffier?

I normally leave fresh buffalo mozz on kitchen paper and put some more paper on top for about 15-20 mins. Does the job. Its way better than the grated stuff. Also, tesco’s ‘pizza mozzarella’ is mank!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Aldi's premium level mozzarella is good (specially selected or whatever). You can definitely taste the difference between that and the generic rubbery tasteless stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

Here's a great dough making vid using the 5 Stagioni flour available at Supervalu.

Presented by a World Champion Pizza Chef.

One of the best vids I've seen.

https://youtu.be/8Q_9h6VKm9c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Aldi West cork buffalo mozzarella is as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wandererz wrote: »
    Here's a great dough making vid using the 5 Stagioni flour available at Supervalu.

not cooking the mozzarella though...
    (he says in the comments that it's to prevent the pizza getting too wet)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

See these guys sell fior de latte and nduja if you are looking for something a bit different

https://www.therealoliveco.com/collections/cheese/products/fior-di-lattemozzarella-from-cows-milk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

loyatemu wrote: »
    not cooking the mozzarella though...
    (he says in the comments that it's to prevent the pizza getting too wet)

Makes sense, plus I reckon the mozzarella would taste fresher uncooked . It is a very good tutorial. Going to stick it on my favorites list.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Makes sense, plus I reckon the mozzarella would taste fresher uncooked . It is a very good tutorial. Going to stick it on my favorites list.

When cooking pizza in my conventional oven (peasant, I know) I always pull the pizza out and only put the mozzarella on for the last minute or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

wandererz wrote: »

That was interesting that he used the thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

For anyone interested in getting dough trays and flour storage, this combo just came back into stock on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V473C2H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_kUZ6EbCJAT07A

I wanted a slightly different combination, so I ordered direct from https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got a pizza stone and peel but cannot for the life of me get the pizza on and off the peel.

The first time, I put loads of semolina on the peel and assembled the pizza on the peel.

It got stuck coming off onto the stone.

The second time, I assembled the pizza on the counter but it just kept bunching up when I tried to get the peel under it.

Both times, I had to manhandle it and ended up with really misshapen pizza.

I’m making Neopolitan style, so it is very thin dough but there must be an issue with my technique. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What material peel?

Been a few people suggesting wood for the initial and metal to remove; I use metal for both but with thicker bases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

I get that too so I usually put the dough on a lightly oiled square of tinfoil before topping it. Slides off the peel no problem and after about 3 minutes the foil will slide out from underneath easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Is it a metal or wooden peel? We use a wooden one with semolina and it slides off easily. I remember watching Bon Appétit’s pizza series and they changed from metal to wood because they were struggling with metal. Ooni has some good launching tips that might help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It’s a metal peel, which I did read about being ‘stickier’ than wood. Interesting tip about the tin foil! I might try that next, along with checking out the Ooni tips :)

Faith wrote: »
    I got a pizza stone and peel but cannot for the life of me get the pizza on and off the peel.

The first time, I put loads of semolina on the peel and assembled the pizza on the peel.

The second time, I assembled the pizza on the counter but it just kept bunching up when I tried to get the peel under it.

I’m making Neopolitan style, so it is very thin dough but there must be an issue with my technique. Any suggestions?

1. Use a wooden peel

2. Put base on peel before adding sauce/toppings.

3. Dont leave base on peel for more than 1-2 mins before launching.

If that doesnt work - your dough is too wet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Faith wrote: »

I have found the wooden peel to be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had the same problem as yourself Faith during the week. Was using a metal peel well dusted with semolina, put the base on it and gave it a shake and it moved no problems. After the toppings went on it was a different story, it wouldnt budge. Luckily I have these two half moon shaped pizza paddles that came with the G3 Ferrari pizza oven so I used them to get underneath it and get it moving again. But a having a fully dressed pizza that wont budge is a right pain in the ass to say the least, I must invest in a wooden peel.

I dont know what it is lately, perhaps higher summer temperatures and humidity but my doughs made to the exact same recipe as normal have been just the wrong side of sticky at times. I didnt have that problem back in March/April, it just started showing up in May and June.

• Advertisement

I make the pizza on a wooden peel with flour dusted.
    Then use a metal turning peel to check I can get it under the pizza.

Place the wooden peel into the Ooni oven at a slight raised angle. Use the metal peel to move the pizza and then remove the metal peel.

This means I don't have to lift and shake the peel to get the pizza off. The shaking bit can lead to toppings falling off or having to resort to calzones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If the pizza is sticking to the peel, lift one side and throw a bit of flour under it, then lift the other side and throw a bit of flour under there too. Maybe lift the top an bottom as well if it's still stuck. Works a charm

If the pizza is sticking to the peel, lift one side and throw a bit of flour under it, then lift the other side and throw a bit of flour under there too. Maybe lift the top an bottom as well if it's still stuck. Works a charm

Yes. This too. ^^^

Lift with a spatula or other flat surface so you don't affect the pizza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I have a Karu two weeks now and have used it a few times with great success,but i cant seem to get the temperature up to 400 or more,im using charcoal and kindling,is there a knack to it ? ,im thinking of getting the gas attachment from Ooni to see how i get on with that.

I have a Karu two weeks now and have used it a few times with great success,but i cant seem to get the temperature up to 400 or more,im using charcoal and kindling,is there a knack to it ? ,im thinking of getting the gas attachment from Ooni to see how i get on with that.

I have an Ooni pro and use lumpwood charcoal and hardwood kindling, then add a hardwood log after 10-15 mins. Does the job every time. I wouldn’t sweat over the temps though once you’re getting good pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the dough can smell fear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

. I wouldn’t sweat over the temps though once you’re getting good pizza!

This is really a good point. I have been using the Ooni Fyra, the last couple of weeks with great success. As long as you keep the pellets topped up (my 11 year old is the pellet guy), the heat is really there. In fact, if you leave it between pizzas for 4/5 minutes, its actually too hot, so I leave the door open for 10 seconds before loading.

There seems to be an obsession to get 500c, but genuinely at those temps, I believe its a little too hot and you might get charred (burned) bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Can anyone comment on the ones coming to Lidl? Nothing fancy I'm sure, but would it be a worth or a waste of time?

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-bbq/freestanding-outdoor-multi-function-oven-bbq-pizza-oven/p44397

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

mcbert wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on the ones coming to Lidl? Nothing fancy I'm sure, but would it be a worth or a waste of time?

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-bbq/freestanding-outdoor-multi-function-oven-bbq-pizza-oven/p44397

Thanks.

Fairly useless without knowing what temp it gets too. I cant see info on that? If it only gets to conventional oven 300c type temps then I wouldn't bother to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

mcbert wrote: »

Thanks.
    Didn't get great reviews on https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacienda-Multifunction-Fired-Black-56173/product-reviews/B00XWC2088

Also I think think I saw similar in the Range or somewhere and it's a very flimsy thing which I don't think would retain heat very well. I was going to get one too with the idea that if it didn't cook pizza's it would make a grand patio heater :-)

Advertisement