Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My first thought was “you need to kneed that way more”

Yeah, I was just reading the recipe as opposed to watching a YouTube video. :rolleyes:

Tasted fine, little bit saltier than processed but texture and moisture levels were perfect. Cost-wise it works out about the same as buying it in the shops (Aldi prices).

It was sort of my starter into cheese making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ryath wrote: »
    These ones seem to be permanent stock for the summer. I've found them very good, two gets the Karu going in minutes. One would actually be enough I'd say.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-bbq-food/barbecue-lighters/p41622

Whereabouts in store did your local Lidl have them as permanent stock? They were listed as a special offer last Thursday but I couldnt find them anywhere in store, they werent with the other BBQ stuff or anywhere else I could see. Gonna try a different Lidl tomorrow if Im passing.

The Nal wrote: »

And yeah, you defo need a peel. I'm using one I picked in TJ Maxx for 6 quid and its perfect.

Does it have a long(ish) handle? Need to get one of those as the peel Im using is tiny so have to wear an over glove to turn the pizza to save getting badly burnt. And what TK Maxx did you find it in, I had looked for them in the Ilac Centre branch before but no joy on that occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Ordered these just there - good find. I have another proofing box but it won't fit in my fridge - these will.

If you haven't already - try cold-proove your dough. Method is - Make your dough as normal allow to double, ball and put in fridge for 24 hours or more. a few hours before you want the pizza take it out and get to room temp.

These boxes mean you can do all the cold-prooving and warming without having to go near the dough and introducing any air.

How long does it last in the fridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Whereabouts in store did your local Lidl have them as permanent stock? They were listed as a special offer last Thursday but I couldnt find them anywhere in store, they werent with the other BBQ stuff or anywhere else I could see. Gonna try a different Lidl tomorrow if Im passing.

They were inside the door. It's one of the big new stores though so layout is different to most. It's a new second store in the town so is quieter than most Lidls
    so that may have been why they still had stock.

Pretty sure I saw them recently enough in an other small lidl near the regular firelighters.

Homesavers do a version of them, seem to be just as good.

• Advertisement

cheers Ryath, am passing a big newish Lidl tomorrow so hopefully I find them in there. Dealz used to do them at the start of the summer but I havent seen them in there since May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Eventually gave in to the temptation yesterday evening an ordered the Fyra! It'll be a torturous wait..

Will just have to pass the time buying loads of accessories to make sure I'm ready when it arrives :-)

What do posters do for toppings on their pizza, any experimenters here or do you always gravitate towards the same toppings. Must admit my pizzas are generally the same combination of mozz, salami, pepperoni, proschuitto, red onion, japapeno and oregano or basil.

I must look up the menus of some pizza restaurants to get new ideas. Though Im not a fan of chicken on pizza and definitely not pineapple. Pulled pork and chilli beef could be interesting though. Also beef fajitas already have red onion and peppers in them so that could be another try out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Spinach and ricotta is a nice pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Spinach and ricotta
    Nduja and peach
    Stilton and apple slices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Smoked ham, chili and pineapple.

Egg, prosciutto, artichokes, olives.

Swiss chard/spinach, sausage and pine nuts.

Try make a white pizza too. Good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I must look up the menus of some pizza restaurants to get new ideas.
    Have a look at the menu for Millers Pizzeria on Upper Baggot Street. Some fab ideas.

Figs, chili jam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Bassfish wrote: »
    https://tommyvarden.ie/pizza-peel-wood-hndl-12x14-blade-26-l/
    Ordered this one today. Says its being dispatched tomorrow!

My peel arrived today. Good quality, Irish company and good value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

My peel arrived today. Good quality, Irish company and good value!

Is that suitable for the Fyra, size wise?

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Is that suitable for the Fyra, size wise?

The width of the bottom of the opening on the Frya is 13 inches and this peel is 12 so only just. Have a look on the site, they probably have smaller ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Looking for a couple of tools for my oven
    A long handled small round peel and a long handled wooden wire brush
    Has anyone who has built their own oven put a tiled finish on their dome?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

What do posters do for toppings on their pizza, any experimenters here or do you always gravitate towards the same toppings. Must admit my pizzas are generally the same combination of mozz, salami, pepperoni, proschuitto, red onion, japapeno and oregano or basil.

I must look up the menus of some pizza restaurants to get new ideas. Though Im not a fan of chicken on pizza and definitely not pineapple. Pulled pork and chilli beef could be interesting though. Also beef fajitas already have red onion and peppers in them so that could be another try out.
    I put a few spoons of bolognaise and cheese into a calzone the other week. Should have put more sauce and cheese onthe outside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Looking for a couple of tools for my oven
    A long handled small round peel and a long handled wooden wire brush
    Has anyone who has built their own oven put a tiled finish on their dome?

Cake lifter (amazon) and bbq brush. Works perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

74 days after ordering....my Koda is on the delivery van!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Thinking about getting one of these, whats the advantage of wood v gas?

Nokotan wrote: »
    74 days after ordering....my Koda is on the delivery van!

Snap! My Karu is with the driver for delivery today! Are you in Cork by any chance?

Irishder wrote: »

No comparison. Wood creates smoke which flavours the pizza. Gas doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We changed from an Uuni 3 (pre name change!) that uses pellets to an Ooni Koda that uses gas and I’d never go back to pellets. The control gas gives you over pellets is significant and we haven’t noticed a difference in flavour.

Snap! My Karu is with the driver for delivery today! Are you in Cork by any chance?

Dublin. Hopefully it's not the same lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

With outdoor cooking, generally, gas tends to attract less ****:pac:

Anyone know of any places doing covers for the Ooni Koda 12" apart from the Ooni website? €20 delivery is a bit much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Nokotan wrote: »
    Anyone know of any places doing covers for the Ooni Koda 12" apart from the Ooni website? €20 delivery is a bit much

£6 delivery with lakeland

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62520/Ooni-Koda-Carry-Cover-%E2%80%93-UU-P07900

Great, thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The wood will give give a flavour and you can get different types to experiment. However it also creates more soot, and needs a more minding to maintain a consistent temperature.

With gas you can just turn it on and get a steady consistent heat going. It is a cleaner, less hassle all around.

I prefer the gas for handiness and I think the flavour benefits of the wood is oversold a bit, but that said I only used wood the once so prob need to revisit it

Advertisement