Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The wood will give give a flavour and you can get different types to experiment. However it also creates more soot, and needs a more minding to maintain a consistent temperature.

With gas you can just turn it on and get a steady consistent heat going. It is a cleaner, less hassle all around.

I prefer the gas for handiness and I think the flavour benefits of the wood is oversold a bit, but that said I only used wood the once so prob need to revisit it

Respectfully disagree, and Im a "gas is ok" on a BBQ type guy. Have done loads of pizzas on the gas BBQ.

With the wood on the Ooni, it take 15 minutes max to come to temp from first flame. The smoke really adds huge flavour not just to the crust but to the tomato sauce aswell.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Nal wrote: »
    The smoke really adds huge flavour not just to the crust but to the tomato sauce aswell.

I have to say that when we used the wood version there was no added flavour from it at all. The pizza is barely in there for 60-90 seconds, so it's not like there's loads of time for a smoky flavour to develop. The pizzas taste exactly the same and just as good from the Koda imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Cake lifter (amazon) and bbq brush. Works perfect

I'm sure they are fine for oonis etc but not for brick ovens

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nokotan wrote: »
    Anyone know of any places doing covers for the Ooni Koda 12" apart from the Ooni website? €20 delivery is a bit much

I got one sized for the Ooni 3 delivered just yesterday from the UK Ooni site which has free delivery then Parcel Motel for 4 euro.

Not sure what to make of it, it is sold as a cover & a bag. I wasnt buying it as a bag but a cover to leave the oven outdoors for the whole winter and then just take it off to use it, probably once every week or two. But the material it is made from doesnt feel that heavy duty, it is made from PVC polyester. The back of the box says it will protect the oven from the elements and is water resistant but then also under 'Care' it says to protect it from "harsh weather conditions" which is what Id describe an Irish winter as.

Has anyone used a cover last winter to leave the oven out and how did it fare up?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Looking for a couple of tools for my oven
    A long handled small round peel and a long handled wooden wire brush
    Has anyone who has built their own oven put a tiled finish on their dome?
    https://www.gilmartins.ie/index.php?route=product/search&search=pizza%20brush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Ooni seems to have a long wait, any alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Mu Karu arrived at long last. The one thing I don't have is the infrared thermometer. Ordered one from Ali Express months ago and it never came so got it refunded. Anyone know of a decent reasonably priced one from a n Irish retailer? Or a European one at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bassfish wrote: »
    Mu Karu arrived at long last. The one thing I don't have is the infrared thermometer. Ordered one from Ali Express months ago and it never came so got it refunded. Anyone know of a decent reasonably priced one from a n Irish retailer? Or a European one at least?

I got a stanley one reduced to €25 in woodies last week. Will be store dependent though.
    https://www.woodies.ie/stanley-infrared-thermometer-1148819

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Ryath wrote: »
    I got a stanley one reduced to €25 in woodies last week. Will be store dependent though.
    https://www.woodies.ie/stanley-infrared-thermometer-1148819

Cheers, still €75 online. Might pop in to the local Woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Nisbets.ie have one for about twenty quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

I barely use mine much anymore.
    Put the kda on for 20 mins and the stone will be a good temp.

give it 4-5 mins recharge between pizzas then

yeah same here, I rarely use the IR thermometer anymore. Im on pellets and through experience know that to get to 400c+ its two scoops to start, then top up with another scoop about 6 minutes later then another a further 6-7 mins and with that it will get it to somewhere bewteen 400-450c. The main thing is for the firebox to be sounding like there is a raging inferno going on inside it. Flames coming up the chimney is another indicator as is the sheer heat coming out of it, when it is at 400c+ your hand only lasts a couple of seconds hovering over the top of the chimney such is the heat blasting out of it.

Would imagine it is similar with gas, 15 or 20 minutes preheating would get the stone and oven to those temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Anyone own one of these? How does it compare to the Ooni? Its a lot more expensive

https://eu.gozney.com/products/roccbox?variant=33599624052868

Irishder wrote: »
    Anyone own one of these? How does it compare to the Ooni? Its a lot more expensive

Looks like it'll do the same thing but its twice the price.

Irishder wrote: »

I think the Roocbox is more a pizza oven for the commercial catering sector, they are popular with the likes of pizza food vans that do the festival circuit. Especially for new pizza vans, better to get a couple of those than building an entire stone oven to cart around in a trailer. They're sold as being long lasting and for heavy duty use for people making tons of pizza per day.

They are almost twice the price of the Ooni but the results would be just the same at the end of the day. I think if you're just a regular home user there is no need to spend an extra 200 euro on a Roccbox over an Ooni.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

The Nal wrote: »
    Looks like it'll do the same thing but its twice the price.

I was looking at the ooni for the last couple of years and early this year was very close to buying but didn't. When lockdown happened delivery dates were too long for me and as the roccbox delivery was only 6 weeks I bought it even though it's more expensive. Delighted with performance, doubt it produces two hundred quid better pizzas but it's very solidly built and hopefully will have good residual value

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Bassfish wrote: »
    https://cpcireland.farnell.com/duratool/d03055/thermometer-infrared/dp/IN07344

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

shanec1928 wrote: »
    That one only go's to 380°C. Doesn't read high enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

It’s interesting that this has been predominantly an Ooni thread... for all the brands out there, and there are some amazing ones!

(I’m on my second Ooni now too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Ooni fyra available on Lakeland at the moment, listed on hukd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Fair fecks - have ordered one! (I'm assuming I can cancel the Ooni order?!) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Fair fecks - have ordered one! (I'm assuming I can cancel the Ooni order?!) :cool:
    Yes you can no problem. Wait until you get a delivery date from Lakeland though as I've read about them previously cancelling orders due to lack of stock.

I cancelled my Ooni order by forwarding them my order email to their support email address with the subject changed to 'cancelling my order'. The money was back in my account within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Pipmae wrote: »
    Yes you can no problem. Wait until you get a delivery date from Lakeland though as I've read about them previously cancelling orders due to lack of stock.

I cancelled my Ooni order by forwarding them my order email to their support email address with the subject changed to 'cancelling my order'. The money was back in my account within a few days.

Despatched this morning! Yeehah :D Give me all the fire and pizzas :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

From the HUKD comments:
    Promo code "welcome" takes 10% off.

Edit: Maybe that promocode is for Wolseley wood pellets. I'm having difficulty with the threading on UKHD. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Discovered this evening that pizza cooking and rain is not a good mix! Wet peel when turning pizza. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Peckham wrote: »
    Discovered this evening that pizza cooking and rain is not a good mix! Wet peel when turning pizza. Doh!

I got 2 pizza’s in when it kicked off, I had the family scrambling around for a parasol to keep the rain off.:eek:

On a side note I tried the dough balls and sauce from volcano pizza in Cork. These worked really well, amazing to work with and finally I hand shaped a 12 inch pizza for the first time. My dough normally springs back to its original form so I am lucky to get 9 inch. It also tasted good so I will be ordering more.

Picked it up via neighbourhood food website along with some amazing ingredients from other suppliers like mozzarella, ham, mushrooms and lovely fresh tomatoes to make the sauce. Costs a little more but its like a indulgent treat and I got the value effect.

https://www.neighbourfood.ie/

Made a mess of a pizza last night putting it onto the peel so rolled it up and I ended up inadvertently making the nicest calzone Ive ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got a fair oul fire going in the Ooni the other night! Just lump charcoal with a good hand full of hardwood pellets and two wood shaving lighters. First time I've had an IR thermometer but never got it this hot before. Stone was at 470°C when I started cooking. Pizzas cooked in about 90 seconds! Cooked 3 pizzas and went in to eat and checked temp again after about 15 minutes. Fuel basket wasn't glowing any more! The stone was still over 430°C!

521073.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Register and enter for your chance to win......:
    https://www.filippoberio.co.uk/competitions/win-a-portable-pizza-oven/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I got my oven on Wednesday and had some folk over last night. Ended up making eight pizzas. I absolutely love the Ooni Koda. The shock on my friends' faces when I brought in the first pizza in just two or three minutes was great. Really got the hang of it now, loads of practice.

I had a set up for the rain, parasol at the entrance to my shed and the oven on a table just inside the door. Shields it from the wind as well so it's a great option to have when the weather isn't great.

Can't wait to use it again next weekend.

Advertisement