Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

First outing with the Ooni Karu. 60% hydration, 20 hours RT. Balled at 12 hours. Caputo Blue and instant dried yeast. Dunked the the dough balls in a bowl of flour before stretching. No problem doing it by hand but tried the technique of stretching it over the back of a bowl and that worked really well. Wood and charcoal in the tray. Semolina on the metal peel for launching, no problem at all. Good results for a first attempt.
    Lessons:
    -less is more with toppings
    -Don't let the dough touch the tray
    -procure some hardwood for a slower burn
    -a three year old is not a great deal of help when making Pizza!

A buddy who has a brick pizza oven swears by Jamie Oliver's neopolitan dough recipes so might give that a go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Has anyone tried making baguettes or similar in their pizza oven? I'd imagine 400 degrees is too hot and the middle wouldn't cook but maybe on a low heat it could work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Bassfish wrote: »
    -a three year old is not a great deal of help when making Pizza!

This made me laugh, my 10 and 6 year old love to be hands on in the kitchen and pizza making is no place for a young one. They do my kneading but know to stay away now for the majority of the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

krissovo wrote: »
    This made me laugh, my 10 and 6 year old love to be hands on in the kitchen and pizza making is no place for a young one. They do my kneading but know to stay away now for the majority of the process.

He wanted to roll my lovely dough into a wriggly worm! Cue him throwing a strop when I said now and going inside to watch TV :D

Nokotan wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making baguettes or similar in their pizza oven? I'd imagine 400 degrees is too hot and the middle wouldn't cook but maybe on a low heat it could work?

Gave it a go. I haven't made baguettes in ages and the the shaping wasn't great, there was very little strength in it. So maybe with better dough they'd turn out better. Heated up the oven for a while then lowered the flame all the way down. Probably the ugliest bread I've made in a long time and a little undercooked inside but they'll do for soup tonight.

Bag1.jpg
    Bag2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Ooni Karu available on Lakeland at the mo £249, spotted on HUKD

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62647/Ooni-Karu-Outdoor-Pizza-Oven-with-Baking-Stone-UU-P0A100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

krissovo wrote: »

My 11 year old is in charge of pellets, once lit. be lost without him! Never have to worry about them running out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

The Fyra arrived (from Lakeland) during the week, so just lit it up yesterday evening, to see how it would fare out.

Was a bit slow to light up - I then realised the chimney vent was closed, which was slowing things down.. I went straight at the vent handle with my fingers. Ouch! :eek:

Once I figured where I was going wrong it was plain sailing and it fired up and got to 470°C on one lot of pellets

Can't wait to get cooking now!

521507.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wip3out

Does anybody here have a discount code for Ooni accessories? I thought I had a 10% but cannot find it in my mails :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Koda is one of my best food-related purchases ever - I say this after almost 1 month ownership and multiple uses. I have to say that their peel is a lot better than a basic aluminium peel, but it is over-priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Comerman

Found this in Super Valu, very good for long fermentation. I used it for a 24hr dough and it turned out very well

Sorry folks trying to figure out how to post pictures 😠this is the result of the new found yeast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Comerman wrote:
    Found this in Super Valu, very good for long fermentation. I used it for a 24hr dough and it turned out very well

I've bought the same yeast. Your result looks perfect. What quantities did you use?

Peckham wrote: »
    I've bought the same yeast. Your result looks perfect. What quantities did you use?

This is probably arseways but this is what works for me I make the dough on a Wednesday for Friday and sometimes double it to have Saturday covered tooand I get 2 13/14 inch pizzas

Thinking of getting a Kodi at soon.
    What fuel are you guys using ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Propane, specifically a bottle of patio gas.

Has anyone got any decent tutorials or something for turning with a round peel? I got a 10" round, aluminium peel and tried turning in the Ooni Koda at the weekend and it didn't really go to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Maybe...
    Insert peel under pizza in appliance.
    Withdraw peel (and pizza) from appliance.
    Rotate pizza as required - by hand or some other instrument.
    Replace peel including pizza into appliance.
    Tilt and shake pizza off peel.
    Remove peel from appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

Nokotan wrote: »
    Has anyone got any decent tutorials or something for turning with a round peel? I got a 10" round, aluminium peel and tried turning in the Ooni Koda at the weekend and it didn't really go to plan.

This video shows you how to do it. It's a bit tricky and takes a few goes to get right. I ended up burning the first few pizzas when trying to turn them without removing them. I practiced on a paper plate (not in the oven!) and that helped.

https://www.google.com/search?q=using+a+turning+peel&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB860GB860&oq=using+a+turning+peel&aqs=chrome..69i57.3072j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_ESUpX47jAeTuxgP2nLXgAg30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

Anyone have any discount codes going?

Ned01 wrote: »
    This video shows you how to do it. It's a bit tricky and takes a few goes to get right. I ended up burning the first few pizzas when trying to turn them without removing them. I practiced on a paper plate (not in the oven!) and that helped.

https://www.google.com/search?q=using+a+turning+peel&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB860GB860&oq=using+a+turning+peel&aqs=chrome..69i57.3072j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_ESUpX47jAeTuxgP2nLXgAg30

Cheers, that was exactly what I was looking for.

I reckon my peel might be a tad too big. I'll give it a go next time sure. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Check this simple pizza oven build With a few bricks and 2 paving slabs. I think I might give it a go myself sometime

https://youtu.be/tHMQ_QQJtbY

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Check this simple pizza oven build With a few bricks and 2 paving slabs. I think I might give it a go myself sometime

https://youtu.be/tHMQ_QQJtbY

Looks good but if you don’t have the right heat resistant material for the big Slabs, you’re wasting your time. They’re just going to crack when it gets too hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Looks good but if you don’t have the right heat resistant material for the big Slabs, you’re wasting your time. They’re just going to crack when it gets too hot.

crack if you're lucky, explode is quite likely. its really not a good idea to use paving slabs in the manner in that video.

Nearly bought one after a few drinks the other evening but they are all out of stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mick_g08

I bought 00 flour and instant dried yeast from Little Italy a month ago, used it a few times since and the results have been good. This week though, I managed to do a 72 hour fermentation in the fridge, kind of by mistake (usually do 24 hour) and the pizza was unbelievably good. The crust tasted so much better and my other half has insisted on more of the same pizza this weekend! Waiting on an Ooni Koda in the next few weeks too, so that will be interesting to try with the long fermentation and 00 flour.

MOLINO IAQUONE LUNA GIALLA “00” FLOUR 10kg

MOLINO IAQUONE DRIED YEAST 500g

Mick_g08 wrote: »
    I bought 00 flour and instant dried yeast from Little Italy a month ago, used it a few times since and the results have been good. This week though, I managed to do a 72 hour fermentation in the fridge, kind of by mistake (usually do 24 hour) and the pizza was unbelievably good. The crust tasted so much better and my other half has insisted on more of the same pizza this weekend! Waiting on an Ooni Koda in the next few weeks too, so that will be interesting to try with the long fermentation and 00 flour.

MOLINO IAQUONE LUNA GIALLA “00” FLOUR 10kg

MOLINO IAQUONE DRIED YEAST 500g

I use the same flour and do a 72 hour fermentation too. You should need less yeast for 72 hours over 24 hours. The OONI app allows you to calculate the yeast needed for the fermentation time. It's really handy.

I got through the last 10kg bag in a few months, I thought it was going to last ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mick_g08

Ned01 wrote: »
    I use the same flour and do a 72 hour fermentation too. You should need less yeast for 72 hours over 24 hours. The OONI app allows you to calculate the yeast needed for the fermentation time. It's really handy.

I got through the last 10kg bag in a few months, I thought it was going to last ages!

I put too much yeast in last time, so thanks for the tip. Used the app this time, half as much yeast and more salt and into the fridge for the weekend.

What oven are you using and how do you find it?

• Advertisement

Mick_g08 wrote: »
    I put too much yeast in last time, so thanks for the tip. Used the app this time, half as much yeast and more salt and into the fridge for the weekend.

What oven are you using and how do you find it?

I'm using the Ooni Koda and find it great. It's a little small though which makes turning pizzas a bit difficult without taking them out.

Advertisement