Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭wandererz

Picked up this one last week.

Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mick_g08

The Ooni Koda arrived on Tuesday night, it had shipped from Holland the previous Thursday. I ordered it from Ooni EU on 24th June - it was worth the wait and the money!

I bought the 50mBar German version as I had a spare 37mBar regulator from an old BBQ and this version shipped 6 weeks quicker at the time I ordered. I checked all this with Ooni in advance, so I swapped out the regulator and did a trial cook on Wednesday. I ran the oven for 30 mins to season it, let it fully cool, wiped it down with kitchen paper, then back on full temp for the first cook. It was a little windy and I had the oven in the open, and it just barely reached 380c in the middle of the stone after 45 mins. The pizzas were tasty but I was a bit disappointed.

I joined the Ooni Koda Facebook group, read a few posts there, and made a few tweaks yesterday: I put our gazebo back up (it was down due to the stormy weather) and enclosed 3 sides to reduce wind affecting the oven, and I placed a baking tray across the oven entrance, partially radiating heat back into the oven.

The results are much better, stone temp at 420c in the middle after 20 mins, less gas used and the recovery time is only 3-4 mins between cooks. Pizza party for the in-laws tomorrow, 72 hour cold proving the dough and higher hydration @65% so hopefully that goes as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Looks great Mick. They really are the biz. Made some last night. Salami, nduja, buffalo mozz et al but spinach, artichoke hearts and egg was the highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

is the only difference between the different country versions of the koda the regulator ? It says the 30mbar version is shipping now so can I just swap out the regulator like I would with any gas bbq ?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

The Nal wrote: »
    Looks great Mick. They really are the biz. Made some last night. Salami, nduja, buffalo mozz et al but spinach, artichoke hearts and egg was the highlight.

Can I ask, where are you getting the nduja? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Pete123456 wrote: »

I got it from https://ripasso.shop/
    Based in Wicklow but they do deliver. Very good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Supervalu Knocklyon sell it along with a good selection of Italian charcuterie

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any Supervalu/Centra can get it from Musgraves; most larger ones do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mick_g08

The Nal wrote: »

Cheers! Definitely prefer the meat version of your two but nduja is a new one on me, what does it taste like?
    Cloudio9 wrote: »
    is the only difference between the different country versions of the koda the regulator ? It says the 30mbar version is shipping now so can I just swap out the regulator like I would with any gas bbq ?

From reading the manual, I think the injectors are different sizes; 30, 37 and 50 mBar injectors are 0.75, 0.68 and 0.64 mm respectively. No idea what difference that makes to performance, if any, but all I did was change the regulator like I did with my BBQ a few years ago.

Get Fresh in Rathfarnham sell the sausage. There's no comparison between the real sausage and the jarred stuff imo.
    Mick_g08 wrote: »
    Cheers! Definitely prefer the meat version of your two but nduja is a new one on me, what does it taste like?

Like very spicy pork meat pate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Or possibly send a DM to one of the Ooni ambassadors on Instagram or Facebook - they may have 20% codes?

I tried Instagram no luck might give FB a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lornamd

I've got nduja in butlers pantry, supervalu rathgar and in The Best of Italy on Dunville Avenue. They have a great selection of meats - could spend hours in that shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Anyone had issues with the Koda flaming on one side of the burner? (High yellow flame arcing up at the inner top of it, not "low and mainly blue". Happened after about a week. Support case open but they took over 13 days to even respond and now I await the next turnaround in response.

Only issue Im having with the Fyra is the little flat metal bar/plate occasionally falling down so the flames aren't being redirected over the pizza. Its fairly flimsy and kind of just rests in place.

Its either a serious design flaw or I'm an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Anyone had issues with the Koda flaming on one side of the burner? (High yellow flame arcing up at the inner top of it, not "low and mainly blue". Happened after about a week. Support case open but they took over 13 days to even respond and now I await the next turnaround in response.

I had a similar issue, its was a rouge sweetcorn that I must have launched into the burner. It took a bit of a shake and a spray of compressed air to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Don’t bother trying B&Q Swords for a peel. The computer says two in stock but there’s none. :(

It was the same in Liffey Valley on Monday, computer said 5 pizza peels were available but none there on the shelves among the BBQ stuff in Aisle 29. I asked a staff member and he said that the stock system is not in real time and the people upstairs have to manually update it but cant because they are working from home. I must admit I liked his convoluted excuse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

I ordered a koda. Won't be here till November. Anything else I should get before it comes
    What gas and were will I get it .
    I probably need a new peel, ooni are sold out can anyone recommend one that will work with the koda

Any recommendations welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

nigwerwig wrote: »
    I ordered a koda. Won't be here till November. Anything else I should get before it comes
    I probably need a new peel, ooni are sold out can anyone recommend one that will work with the koda

Your peel needs to be a maximum 12” wide. Any more and it won’t fit. They say wooden to launch, metal to extract and there are special turning peels. I just have a metal one and it’s fine.

Nisbets still have some in stock.

https://www.nisbets.ie/search?text=pizza%20peel

A pizza cutter, maybe a large wooden board for cutting and I have one of these timers. It cooks so quickly, you can easily get distracted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=1VAYFMVJ4YLY6&K=12FYG7TTWLTZA&M=urn:rtn:msg:2020052307234712ebbfa9679347bb8d28976fba30p0eu&R=2SY4GPYZ4585V&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB07KGGRR6L%2Fref%3Dpe_3187911_185740111_TE_item&H=TJ9HUZYW2A9WMPFUNOAX5C89XD8A&ref_=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Ooni mention about needing an infrared thermometer but with your gas Koda, it’s not really necessary.

Practice your dough making/rolling skills. This is handy for proving your dough in the fridge.

Gastlando pizza dough container pizza ball box storage box with lid (sets) 60 x 40 cm, Plastic, White, 1x Pizzateigbehälter und 1x Deckel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725CSZNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YjuuFbRC4817X

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Your peel needs to be a maximum 12” wide. Any more and it won’t fit. They say wooden to launch, metal to extract and there are special turning peels. I just have a metal one and it’s fine.

Nisbets still have some in stock.

https://www.nisbets.ie/search?text=pizza%20peel

A pizza cutter, maybe a large wooden board for cutting and I have one of these timers. It cooks so quickly, you can easily get distracted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=1VAYFMVJ4YLY6&K=12FYG7TTWLTZA&M=urn:rtn:msg:2020052307234712ebbfa9679347bb8d28976fba30p0eu&R=2SY4GPYZ4585V&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB07KGGRR6L%2Fref%3Dpe_3187911_185740111_TE_item&H=TJ9HUZYW2A9WMPFUNOAX5C89XD8A&ref_=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Ooni mention about needing an infrared thermometer but with your gas Koda, it’s not really necessary.

Practice your dough making/rolling skills. This is handy for proving your dough in the fridge.

Gastlando pizza dough container pizza ball box storage box with lid (sets) 60 x 40 cm, Plastic, White, 1x Pizzateigbehälter und 1x Deckel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725CSZNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YjuuFbRC4817X

Don’t underestimate the value of a good scales...

I had the option of buying the ooni one when I bought my koda in April, everything was in stock back then.

I really regret not getting the perforated peel and the scales. The scales gets really good reviews and weighs from 0.1g to 10kg so really useful in the kitchen in general.

I also second the turning peel, useful bit of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I became a bit of an Ooni addict over lock down..... I have a Koda 16.

Accessories I bought that I think are essential are a bamboo peel, metal peel, micro scales (although not necessarily the Ooni one) and a rucksack waterproof cover to use as a cover for the Ooni.

The ones I bought that I consider optional are the rocker blade, pizza brush, thermometer (although those not using gas might consider this essential) and the Ooni shoes.

I love the sizzler pan but I'm sure you could probably get a cheaper one that would do the same job. I'm sorry I didn't buy two of them - they don't hold much. I'm waiting for them to come back into stock.

If I was to choose just one Ooni branded accessory it would be the bamboo peel. It's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Pipmae wrote: »
    I became a bit of an Ooni addict over lock down..... I have a Koda 16.

Accessories I bought that I think are essential are a bamboo peel, metal peel, micro scales (although not necessarily the Ooni one) and a rucksack waterproof cover to use as a cover for the Ooni.

The ones I bought that I consider optional are the rocker blade, pizza brush, thermometer (although those not using gas might consider this essential) and the Ooni shoes.

I love the sizzler pan but I'm sure you could probably get a cheaper one that would do the same job. I'm sorry I didn't buy two of them - they don't hold much. I'm waiting for them to come back into stock.

If I was to choose just one Ooni branded accessory it would be the bamboo peel. It's excellent.

Had to Google pizza brush and Ooni shoes, blimey you do have it all. ;)

Had to Google pizza brush and Ooni shoes, blimey you do have it all. ;)
    Yeah an addict! Every accessory I have is the Ooni brand. :eek:

Ooni shoes lol, for a moment there I thought there was such a thing as pizza proof shoes

https://uk.ooni.com/products/ooni-shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ooni shoes lol, for a moment there I thought there was such a thing as pizza proof shoes

https://uk.ooni.com/products/ooni-shoes

3 pack - for the oddly deformed pizza cook? :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

nigwerwig wrote: »

Been using these peels with our Koda and they work perfectly. A lot cheaper than the Ooni ones too.

Haven't bothered with a turning peel, the Koda is tight enough so we just prefer to take the pizza out, turn it and put it back in. Been using this peel to do that and it's perfect for the job. It also handily folds up for easy storage.

Before we got the Koda we had a loan of an Ooni 2, which is a wood pellet model. In IR thermometer was essential for that, but you really don't need one for the Koda. Just whack it on full blast for about 15 minutes and you're good to go.

The Koda runs on propane. You can get a cylinder of patio gas from your local petrol station, the oven has the correct regulator to fit one of those.

The only other accessory we bought for the Koda was the cover/carrying case. It's very handy for moving the oven, and it keeps the spiders in the shed from considering making a home for themselves inside it. :)

Zaph wrote: »
    Haven't bothered with a turning peel, the Koda is tight enough so we just prefer to take the pizza out, turn it and put it back in. Been using this peel to do that and it's perfect for the job. It also handily folds up for easy storage.
    Are the listed dimensions on that peel correct, it says it is 18.5cm wide which is about 7.5 inches. Would have thought it would be 12 inches wide to fully lift out a 12 inch pizza?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Are the listed dimensions on that peel correct, it says it is 18.5cm wide which is about 7.5 inches. Would have thought it would be 12 inches wide to fully lift out a 12 inch pizza?

Yeah, it's correct. It's fine for lifting the pizza out onto the wooden peel to turn and throw back in as the base starts to cook as soon as it hits the stone. Haven't had any issues with pizzas going over the side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

I've found the IR quite handy, especially on an even slightly windy day...for me it takes closer to 30 mins to heat up rather than 15. Are people looking for 450c at centre of stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Regarding the gas - you will need propane.
    but you need to be careful to get the correct propane; the first one i got had the wrong connection.
    top of propane needs to be circular

• Advertisement

Flogas propane is in a cream bottle and labelled patio gas.

Calor propane is in a grey bottle and labelled patio gas.

Advertisement