Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dual - but she used the gas.

It's only a matter of time... ;)

I have a 10% discount here if you want it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks Gloom, but I won't be buying it for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I ordered a Ferrari pizza oven a few months ago after an amazing pizza night at a friend's place, and it arrived today.

Well, wow.

Beautiful puffy stone baked pizza in 4 minutes.

Learned a few lessons. Base should be very thin and toppings scant. The peel should be very well floured before adding the base.

Amazing really. Delighted with ourselves. Don't think we'll order pizza again.

Has anyone used the Ferrari and the Ooni? I’d be interested to know how they compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks Gloom, but I won't be buying it for a while :)

If it’s anything like last year, you might need to order now for a summer delivery. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it’s anything like last year, you might need to order now for a summer delivery. :rolleyes:

Are there none popping up for sale second hand? .
    Surely some people bought these without thinking and used them once?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Probably the same people who bought most of the strong white flour during the first lockdown and didn't use it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

I've been keeping an eye for an Ooni gas oven for a while and nothing seems to be popping up! Everyone obviously loves theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

For future reference keep an eye out on Lakeland and Dobbies in the North of Ireland. They stock the ovens in a normal world. I've also seen the Koda 12 on the Meadows and Byrne and Arnotts websites in the past.

I'm cooking steak on my Koda 16 later. The only problem is I've only one sizzler pan so we'll be eating in relays. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive seen them pop up used on ebay during the summer but the demand was so high they were achieving prices that are not that far off a brand new one and in a couple of instances exceeding the cost of a new one.
    el_gaucho wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Ferrari and the Ooni? I’d be interested to know how they compare.

Yep I had a Ferrari which is the pizza oven that started this thread to begin with, you can see reports on it in the opening pages of the thread. I got it for something like 47 euro in an Amazon sale. It gets up to 390c and makes excellent pizza in about 2 minutes. Sadly though it broke down after about 2 years so then I got an Ooni which I love. I was going to get another Ferrari but then spotted an Ooni on Adverts brand new and boxed (unwanted wedding present) for 150 euro so grabbed that instead.

I wouldnt go back to the Ferrari or anything but for anyone on a budget the Ferrari is perfectly capable, its the pizza oven a lot of Italians use in their houses. If you are anyway DIY minded there are a few mods you can do to them too such as adding a top element.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My Ferrari has a top element in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Muahahaha wrote: »

Yep I had a Ferrari which is the pizza oven that started this thread to begin with, you can see reports on it in the opening pages of the thread. I got it for something like 47 euro in an Amazon sale. It gets up to 390c and makes excellent pizza in about 2 minutes. Sadly though it broke down after about 2 years so then I got an Ooni which I love. I was going to get another Ferrari but then spotted an Ooni on Adverts brand new and boxed (unwanted wedding present) for 150 euro so grabbed that instead.

I wouldnt go back to the Ferrari or anything but for anyone on a budget the Ferrari is perfectly capable, its the pizza oven a lot of Italians use in their houses. If you are anyway DIY minded there are a few mods you can do to them too such as adding a top element.

Thanks. I’ll go back to the beginning and read the comments about the Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

First outing for my Ooni Karu yesterday! Very impressed I have to say - just like the real deal, and that from someone who has only very occasionally worked with dough. Couldn't get the temp higher than ~450C though, but I guess it was a pretty nippy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

First outing for my Ooni Karu yesterday! Very impressed I have to say - just like the real deal, and that from someone who has only very occasionally worked with dough. Couldn't get the temp higher than ~450C though, but I guess it was a pretty nippy day.

Thats fine. To be honest unless you're very very careful you'll burn it at 500c.

My Ferrari has a top element in it

Very good, they must have added the top element to it as I remember seeing mods where owners would add one. Theres another mod to make the stone base rotate so the pizza gets cooked more evenly but I think thats probably over kill. They are a great little oven though and great value at 50 or 60 quid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Very good, they must have added the top element to it as I remember seeing mods where owners would add one. Theres another mod to make the stone base rotate so the pizza gets cooked more evenly but I think thats probably over kill. They are a great little oven though and great value at 50 or 60 quid.

Mine was £140. I think the top element makes it a different beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

I just get the patio gas from woodies and its the push type

can I ask if this was the cream or grey colour tank? I just swapped my grey canister for a new cream one.

Pipmae wrote: »
    The Calor propane gas cylinder needed is grey in colour and called patio gas. The Flogas one is cream and also called patio gas. :)

are you saying the cream one won't work? I just swapped a grey one for a new cream one from coop.

epopnomis wrote: »
    are you saying the cream one won't work? I just swapped a grey one for a new cream one from coop.

I mean they'd both work. One is Calor and one Flogas.

Pipmae wrote: »
    I mean they'd both work. One is Calor and one Flogas.

Cheers you gave me a mini heart attack. cream goes better with the colour of my house. ;)

Cheers you gave me a mini heart attack. cream goes better with the colour of my house. ;)

I bought this one from Flogas to suit my garden! :D

https://www.flogas.ie/residential/lpg/lpg-bottled-gas/gaslight/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

can I ask if this was the cream or grey colour tank? I just swapped my grey canister for a new cream one.

It was the grey one

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Don't know whether to post here or over in the Charcoal/Ceramic/BBQ grilling threads but has anyone any experience with this type of "oven": https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/collections/vendors?q=Pizza-Porta

-Coley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I haven't but there's a lad on YouTube called 'tom voyage' that has a kamando Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

yikes they are ugly.
    very expensive for a glorified bbq insert pizza stone
    my worry with all these type of ovens you be all the heat coming from the bottom up.
    Would result in overdone base and under done toppings.

Better off getting a dedicated pizza oven

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

not the prettiest - I'll grant you that
    A heat deflector can be put above the charcol (below the stone) forcing the air around and up into the dome, then with the side entrance the dome doesn't need to be lifted and heat lost.

Another oven...... more kit:eek:
    -Coley.

I think if its a choice between spending 300 on a pizza attachment for the Kamado or spending 300 on an Ooni then the Ooni wins out. Purely on the basis that the Ooni is a dedicated pizza oven which gives great results and you would also have the flexibility to use both it and the Kamado simultaneously if you ever needed to. Horses for courses though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭The lips

What do you guys use to store dough while it is proofing for the 24/48 hours?

I am using some cling film over a chopping board but I would prefer something long term.

Something like this:

https://pizzaequipment.co.uk/product/small-pizza-dough-boxes-40-x-30-cm/

It would have to be the half size box to fit into my fridge.

I have emailed them to see if they post to Ireland.

Any local suppliers available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

The lips wrote: »
    What do you guys use to store dough while it is proofing for the 24/48 hours?

I am using some cling film over a chopping board but I would prefer something long term.

Something like this:

https://pizzaequipment.co.uk/product/small-pizza-dough-boxes-40-x-30-cm/

It would have to be the half size box to fit into my fridge.

I have emailed them to see if they post to Ireland.

Any local suppliers available?

I use pudding bowls similar to this https://www.lakeland.co.uk/32329/Lidded-Pudding-Basins-600ml-%E2%80%93-Pack-of-4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

IKEA glass tubs. First run out. We got the round ones for pizza dough, but some of them are in the freezer at the moment.

• Advertisement

Are those Ikea ones microwave, oven & dishwasher safe too?

Have been meaning to upgrade my food storage to glass for a while now. The plastic ones I have always get stained by any food with turmeric or achiote paste in it. Once stained you just cant get it off.

Advertisement