Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Are those Ikea ones microwave, oven & dishwasher safe too?

I have a large number of the rectangular IKEA ones and use them for storing seeds, nuts, dried fruit, porridge, flour etc. I’ve had these for a number of years and have had no problems with them. They are in the dishwasher regularly without any issues. I’ve had the base (only) in the oven and microwave without any issues either. (Personal preference is to never put plastic in the microwave).

If you are buying them I suggest you check the labels on the day to ensure that the specification hasn’t changed and the current model remains oven/microwave and dishwasher safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ya, they are. We have plastic lids, AFAIK you can get glass lids as well.

They are ideal for individual dough balls btw. So handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The lips wrote: »
    What do you guys use to store dough while it is proofing for the 24/48 hours?

I am using some cling film over a chopping board but I would prefer something long term.

Something like this:

https://pizzaequipment.co.uk/product/small-pizza-dough-boxes-40-x-30-cm/

It would have to be the half size box to fit into my fridge.

I have emailed them to see if they post to Ireland.

Any local suppliers available?

I bought the Ooni ones on their UK site but they are sold out now
    https://uk.ooni.com/collections/accessories/products/ooni-pizza-dough-proofing-tray

This place in England make them for Ooni and sell two of them for 9 pound where Ooni sell them for 30 pound!,i contacted them about delivery to Ireland and it cost nearly as much as Ooni so i just bought them off Ooni.

https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/6-9-ltr-small-euro-plastic-stacking-container/#

When i make dough i bulk proof it in the fridge for 42hrs and then ball it up and proof it in the trays at room temp for 6hrs ,so i don't really use the trays that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

As above bulk proof in fridge in large bowl for 3 days and divide into balls on cooking day.
    The standard size proofing tray can then be used and keep tray at room temperature.

https://okcs.ie/pizza-accessories/3731-dough-tray-white.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I used these - I got some on Amazon and the rest in BrandMax (the old Heatons are now BrandMax shops).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Food-Storage-Containers-Clear/dp/B07D7MNHVP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=14B41LVRKYO8P&dchild=1&keywords=sistema+round+storage+containers&qid=1611567225&sprefix=sistema+round+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-5

They're handy to store and they double up to store unused toppings in the fridge.

• Advertisement

Pipmae wrote: »
    I used these - I got some on Amazon and the rest in BrandMax (the old Heatons are now BrandMax shops).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Food-Storage-Containers-Clear/dp/B07D7MNHVP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=14B41LVRKYO8P&dchild=1&keywords=sistema+round+storage+containers&qid=1611567225&sprefix=sistema+round+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-5

They're handy to store and they double up to store unused toppings in the fridge.

I have them as well got them in Tesco

I bought the gas attachment for my Karu and used it for the first time last night,the difference between the gas and wood is like night and day for me,i could never get the temperature high enough with the wood and always had a soggy base ,but with the gas i had a nice crispy base,f
    I don't have an Ooni as I've simply too many other indoor and outdoor options BBQ etc options to do pizza on but that was my thought on the wood burning option- I was curious as to how difficult it was to achieve a high temp with wood - anyone else experience this?
    Its finally happened... I’ve cooked so much pizza lately I’m sick of it! :(

Havent even done any in the last 2 weeks and still cant bring myself to do more.. maybe another 2 week break then I’ll attack again.

While I'm quite jealous of those with their Ooni's I think this is probably the ultimate reason i won't buy one new. They look super but i'd tire of it after a while. I like cooking pizza but only once in a while and certainly not every week. As I say above, i've plenty of alternative ways to cook pizza, and if doing it outdoors, I'd really like to do it via wood/charcoal for the flavour but looks like the wood version has issues getting high temps?

Adverts might be good for second hand Ooni's early summer as looks like a lot were sold last year and people might be moving on to other toys?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

No issues getting high temps on our Karu - stone is regularly at 450 for launching. We use Kiln dried hardwood chopped into quite small pieces and get it good and hot then throw a few little pieces of wood on right before launching a pizza to get the flames going. We've the gas attachment too but prefer wood. Got our Ooni back in July, would say it's been used weekly if not more - we cook Naan bread and pita on it too and use it for stuff like chicken tikka and fajitas with a cast iron pan.

Springwell wrote: »
    No issues getting high temps on our Karu - stone is regularly at 450 for launching. We use Kiln dried hardwood chopped into quite small pieces and get it good and hot then throw a few little pieces of wood on right before launching a pizza to get the flames going. We've the gas attachment too but prefer wood. Got our Ooni back in July, would say it's been used weekly if not more - we cook Naan bread and pita on it too and use it for stuff like chicken tikka and fajitas with a cast iron pan.

Good to hear that- If i'm ever in the market for one, i'd be going with the dual fuel wood/gas so i can at least have the option of both. My priority is getting a decent outdoor cooking area built for the grills i currently have- unfortunately the Ooni will have to be put on the back burner...pun intended :D

We have the Ooni and a Charbroil Big Easy plus a little charcoal Webber as our outdoor kitchen - was ideal back in Lockdown #1 although we've done Ooni in the rain and snow without issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good to hear that- If i'm ever in the market for one, i'd be going with the dual fuel wood/gas so i can at least have the option of both. My priority is getting a decent outdoor cooking area built for the grills i currently have- unfortunately the Ooni will have to be put on the back burner...pun intended :D

Ive an Ooni 3 which burns wood pellets but I added the gas attachment recently as going in and out 3 or 4 times to tend to wood pellets in the winter is a pain in the ass. As a result I didnt use it at all last winter but this one with gas I have. For me wood is fine in the summer when Im sitting out in the garden anyway but in winter its a bit of a pain as fuel needs to be topped up a few times before it gets to 450c.

Ah yeah, ours is on a upstairs deck - literally open door and top up within 6 ft of the sofa! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Daeltaja

As I say above, i've plenty of alternative ways to cook pizza, and if doing it outdoors, I'd really like to do it via wood/charcoal for the flavour but looks like the wood version has issues getting high temps?

For me it has certainly been worth the investment. I started with a Fyra last May and used it literally every week until November, when I replaced it with a gas Koda. Fyra was a little more 'romantic' with the smell of the burning wood, etc, but honestly, it wasn't NEARLY worth the hassle (soot literally everywhere, constant pellet/heat management) and honestly there is no taste difference whatsoever to the gas powered Koda. The smoke in the Fyra doesn't make contact with the pizza and doesn't impart 'wood-smoked' flavour at all. The change was certainly worth it for me. I can literally turn the gas on, walk away and not worry about topping up pellets, and the same goes between cooks.

The only issue I have with Ooni (not specific to the model) is the refactory stone they ship with. They are not terribly good at distributing heat. My pizza's generally come out perfect, but 1 in 4, or sometimes 2 in 4 will burst in the oven, or be slightly more charred than I'd like so I've took the plunge and ordered a Biscotto Saputo stone from Italy to hopefully make it a bit more predictable.

Another recommendation for dough ball storage - Dealz have a 4 pack of round plastic tubs for a few euro that I find perfect. Here are the exact ones on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7MNHVP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. For bulk rise I use this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ICPF8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Daeltaja wrote: »
    For me it has certainly been worth the investment. I started with a Fyra last May and used it literally every week until November, when I replaced it with a gas Koda. Fyra was a little more 'romantic' with the smell of the burning wood, etc, but honestly, it wasn't NEARLY worth the hassle (soot literally everywhere, constant pellet/heat management) and honestly there is no taste difference whatsoever to the gas powered Koda. The smoke in the Fyra doesn't make contact with the pizza and doesn't impart 'wood-smoked' flavour at all. The change was certainly worth it for me. I can literally turn the gas on, walk away and not worry about topping up pellets, and the same goes between cooks.

Id been wondering about that myself as the pizza is in there for such a short amount of time its hard to see how it would really take on any kind of smoke flavour. But just out of interest what wood were you burning? Did you try experimenting with just putting a small piece of hardwood like apple or cherry into the fire before launching the pizza? Ive seen that recommended in Oonis instructions but not sure how well it works if the pizza is only in there for less than 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Daeltaja

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id been wondering about that myself as the pizza is in there for such a short amount of time its hard to see how it would really take on any kind of smoke flavour. But just out of interest what wood were you burning? Did you try experimenting with just putting a small piece of hardwood like apple or cherry into the fire before launching the pizza? Ive seen that recommended in Oonis instructions but not sure how well it works if the pizza is only in there for less than 2 minutes.

I only used beechwood pellets. I can't imagine any flavour being imparted no matter what type of wood is used. I know the pizzas are cooked in 60-90 sec, but I don't think the duration has much to do with it, rather the lack of contact with the smoke (unlike meat in a smoker).

Daeltaja wrote: »

The only issue I have with Ooni (not specific to the model) is the refactory stone they ship with. They are not terribly good at distributing heat. My pizza's generally come out perfect, but 1 in 4, or sometimes 2 in 4 will burst in the oven, or be slightly more charred than I'd like so I've took the plunge and ordered a Biscotto Saputo stone from Italy to hopefully make it a bit more predictable.

Another recommendation for dough ball storage - Dealz have a 4 pack of round plastic tubs for a few euro that I find perfect. Here are the exact ones on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7MNHVP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. For bulk rise I use this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ICPF8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Where did you buy the Biscotto Saputo stone from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Where did you buy the Biscotto Saputo stone from?

https://fornacesaputo.it/

I got mine over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

https://fornacesaputo.it/

I got mine over the summer.

Nice find! Having a look, it appears that they've only one stone that isn't out of stock. World's gone mad for pizza!

https://fornacesaputo.it/prodotto/biscotto-saputo-d-345x395-h-32cm/

I think I was waiting about a week for a restock when I first went to order. They aren't the best at communicating or replying to emails, even with Google translate. I ordered a koda 12 stone and received a koda 16 stone that had broken in transit. I emailed them, no reply at all but a few days later the correct stone arrived. They get recommended all the time on the FB groups so I am not surprised they have low stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

I think I was waiting about a week for a restock when I first went to order. They aren't the best at communicating or replying to emails, even with Google translate. I ordered a koda 12 stone and received a koda 16 stone that had broken in transit. I emailed them, no reply at all but a few days later the correct stone arrived. They get recommended all the time on the FB groups so I am not surprised they have low stock.

Is it any good? I presume it takes longer to heat up as it's thicker than the one supplied with the koda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Hi guys
    Anyone do a diy build with fire bricks over last summer / lock down ,
    Looking at design’s to build at the moment

Ned01 wrote: »
    Is it any good? I presume it takes longer to heat up as it's thicker than the one supplied with the koda

With heat up time, to be honest I tend to turn it on and wander back 20 or 30 min later once I have my prep done so I can't say I have really paid much attention as to whether there is a big difference. I find the base has a more even cook with a uniform colour underneath with less cooking time and any excess flour or semolina are much less likely to scorch. It also holds the heat well between pizzas, I do think that I am not waiting as long between launches.

GY A1 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Anyone do a diy build with fire bricks over last summer / lock down ,
    Looking at design’s to build at the moment

Someone in the DIY forum did

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058085873

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Thanks
    Looking at the options now and hoping to order up what I need and make a start before summer

Thanks
    Looking at the options now and hoping to order up what I need and make a start before summer

Keep us posted,i'd love to do it myself but i wouldn't have the patience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Thanks

That one linked was me, Covid project. Happy to answer any and all questions, especially about things I'd do differently!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That one linked was me, Covid project. Happy to answer any and all questions, especially about things I'd do differently!!

Have you taken the washing line down yet?

:-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Or has anyone finally been garrotted by it? It's been putting the fear on me teh whole time i've been following the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hi all,

My sifnificant other bought me an Ooni Koda 12" for my birthdya - arriving in March. What is the best flour to use for bases....one that is relatively easy to source

• Advertisement

Depends on what style of pizza you want to create. For Neapolitan then Tipo 00 flour is what you need, I think Supervalue sell it and likely Tesco too. If you want to do American style pizzas then all purpose flour can be used.

Advertisement