Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I use Caputo flour mostly (we make Neapolitan style)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Springwell wrote: »
    I use Caputo flour mostly (we make Neapolitan style)

Where do you get the caputo flour from? I can't find it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Hi all,

My sifnificant other bought me an Ooni Koda 12" for my birthdya - arriving in March. What is the best flour to use for bases....one that is relatively easy to source

I use this flour and have found the company based in Kilkenny very good to deal with.
    https://kellswholemeal.ie/product/marriages-italian-style-pizza-flour/

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Most Supervalu stores seem to stock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Can get the classica in Supervalu its always in stock when im shopping in my local one in Waterford

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-flour-caputo-00-blue-all-purpose-1-kg-/p-1483707001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Most Supervalu stores seem to stock it.
    Can get the classica in Supervalu its always in stock when im shopping in my local one in Waterford

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-flour-caputo-00-blue-all-purpose-1-kg-/p-1483707001

Cheers I will look again in other Supervalus. Not in my closest one and I saw it on the website but when I log in to try and buy it, it disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Have you taken the washing line down yet?

:-)

moved it 2 foot :) still a PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

GY A1 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Anyone do a diy build with fire bricks over last summer / lock down ,
    Looking at design’s to build at the moment

You can download free plans on fornobravo.com plus any amount of discussion on builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Cheers I will look again in other Supervalus. Not in my closest one and I saw it on the website but when I log in to try and buy it, it disappears.

I have had good results with this, in tesco, if you are having trouble with finding any caputo or stagione 5 from supervalu.

If you know anyone with a Musgraves card you can get flour and sauces cheese pepperoni etc in there, i got a 25kg bag of Caputo Pizzeria flour for €21 a few weeks back it'll probably last me the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

If you know anyone with a Musgraves card you can get flour and sauces cheese pepperoni etc in there, i got a 25kg bag of Caputo Pizzeria flour for €21 a few weeks back it'll probably last me the year!

Just on the buying flour in bulk - I’ve noticed myself that it’s quite easy to “contaminate” flour especially when you’re dusting during stretching and topping a pizza. Do you withdraw or decant out portions of the flour or how do you manage it? I lost a 3kg jar of flour in account of being a dope and not paying attention to what I was doing...

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Just on the buying flour in bulk - I’ve noticed myself that it’s quite easy to “contaminate” flour especially when you’re dusting during stretching and topping a pizza. Do you withdraw or decant out portions of the flour or how do you manage it? I lost a 3kg jar of flour in account of being a dope and not paying attention to what I was doing...

The 25kg bag i got i just put it all into airtight containers and portion the flour from there ,although the best before date on the bag is June so i'll have to use it all up by then

Supervalu as others have said (I get the red long ferment one) although I currently have 30kg of prebrexit Nuvola from A Di Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Long post from FWP Matthews flour, using an Ooni:
    Pizza Baker of the Week: Dough and Behold

It's grey text on white, which I found hard to read, but pressing F11 on my browser shunted it into Reader view and made it a lot easier.

The photo at the top looks great (anyone know what it is?), but the given recipe is for a Detroit-style pizza, which seems like foccacia thickness (at least) with pizza toppings.

tangy wrote: »
    Long post from FWP Matthews flour, using an Ooni:
    Pizza Baker of the Week: Dough and Behold

It's grey text on white, which I found hard to read, but pressing F11 on my browser shunted it into Reader view and made it a lot easier.

The photo at the top looks great (anyone know what it is?), but the given recipe is for a Detroit-style pizza, which seems like foccacia thickness (at least) with pizza toppings.

That's just a margarita,cheese sauce and basil.

Oh, OK. Thanks. Perhaps it was just nicely presented and I thought it was more sophisticated. Red, white & green :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

So the OH got me a Koda, which arrived a few weeks ago but the stone had broken in transit. :(

In the mean time, she arranged for a replacement stone to be sent, which thankfully arrived yesterday, so all is good in the world again.

Question: Is the broken stone any use to me, or can it be salvaged? It broke in 2 parts, right down the middle. I'm assuming it just kinda sits there and it doesn't have any moving parts or anything, so I figured what harm could it do?

I didn't want to go throwing it away without looking into it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Essien wrote: »
    So the OH got me a Koda, which arrived a few weeks ago but the stone had broken in transit. :(

In the mean time, she arranged for a replacement stone to be sent, which thankfully arrived yesterday, so all is good in the world again.

Question: Is the broken stone any use to me, or can it be salvaged? It broke in 2 parts, right down the middle. I'm assuming it just kinda sits there and it doesn't have any moving parts or anything, so I figured what harm could it do?

I didn't want to go throwing it away without looking into it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Useless I'm afraid. I've got one 'it could be useful' sitting in the shed that hasn't been touched in a couple of years. Chuck it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah would say chuck it as well given you have a new one. Unless of course you know someone who might use it, they can be repaired with adhesive but theyre not an expensive item so its not really worth it. I cant even think of an alternative use for it out in the garden so would say its for the bin.

Speculation: can it not be rejoined with fire cement? It's not a precision item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Built a pizza oven (vermiculite /exercise ball method) last summer but hadnt finished the insulation on it. Has been outside all winter..so went to move it today and cracked in half completely! Probably not repairable.

Not sure i want the mess of doing another, so might just go with bricks... any good/cheap place to source them in Ireland?

LowOdour wrote: »
    Built a pizza oven (vermiculite /exercise ball method) last summer but hadnt finished the insulation on it. Has been outside all winter..so went to move it today and cracked in half completely! Probably not repairable.

Not sure i want the mess of doing another, so might just go with bricks... any good/cheap place to source them in Ireland?

You could move it to where you want it to be, Fill that gap with sloppy vermiculite/cement mix and then add another layer over the top.

If I was to build mine again Id put a lot more planning into building it in situ!!

There are pros and cons to making a dome out of firebrick, one being the significant cost of doing so plus it takes a lot more time to cut the bricks to shape etc. It wont cook pizzas any better but it will keep the heat for longer. So, if your one of those ' I want to cook bread in the oven the next morning' types then firebrick or refractory cement may be the way to go.

For a change and at request of a 10yo for his birthday we made cheese burger pizzas....I was skeptical but they were great!!

Passata with ketchup/mustard mixed in as base
    Easi singles shredded
    Layer of mozzarella
    Crumbled burger (I cooked one smash burger and crumbled)
    Thinly sliced white onion

after cooking...
    Sliced tomatoes
    Sliced gerkins/pickles
    Drizzle of burger sauce

He loved them!

Theres a pizza shop called Firehouse in Ballymun and Booterstown who do a cheeseburger pizza. I was skeptical at first but its actually really nice especially the little balls of beef mince on it. Must trying making one at home for a change.

Just regarding gas do people leave the connection attached to the bottle all the time and is there any safety risk from doing so? Also the little switch on the connector itself, if you leave that on by accident but the gas on the oven itself is switched off is there any risk of leakages or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

over three times the market price for a hand forged axe on etsy
    https://www.etsy.com/ie/market/hand_forged_axe

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Some of those hand forged axes on the Etsy link are really fine pieces of work. And at around 70 quid a lot better value than the one Ooni are selling for 300.

Anyway good article here talking to pizza restaurant owners in New York and the UK about how they're getting a bit far out with some of their toppings. Crab with samphire and lemon on a marinara base definitely being one of them, lamb curry pizza and a pear and blue cheese pizza too-
    Kitchin is untroubled by such semantics. A former Neapolitan-style minimalist, he now takes inspiration from the innovative, eclectic pizza found in New York. “Pizza is just bread. Anything that went with bread previously goes on pizza, even stews, ragu, curry – spicy lamb curry on a pizza is unbelievable.

Increasingly, from hot Calabrian ’nduja sausage and honey (“sweet and spicy is an amazing combination. A lot of New York pizzerias use Mike’s Hot Honey, a chilli-infused condiment,” says Yung) to pear and blue cheese pudding pizzas, all bets are off. Or on. Depending how you look at it.

The nduja and honey sounds like one that would be worth trying.

More here, including pigeon and clam pizzas
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/feb/08/how-to-make-much-better-home-pizzas-from-flavour-filled-bases-to-next-level-toppings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Hot honey or even just a good dusting of chilli flakes and a lil drizzle of runny honey is gorgeous on pizza.

Miller's on Baggot St has been doing "eclectic" toppings for about 30 years. I'm normally quite a pizza purist but they have some amazing ones. Lamb Masala is particularly good.

Advertisement