Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Miller's on Baggot St has been doing "eclectic" toppings for about 30 years. I'm normally quite a pizza purist but they have some amazing ones. Lamb Masala is particularly good.

The chicken satay and chicken fajita ones are amazing too. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughter makes the nduja & spicy honey one regularly, but I haven't tasted it yet because of lockdown :(

Apparently the honey is expensive but you can make your own:

Get a whole jar of honey and heat it until just short of a boil, throw in some dried and some fresh chillies and keep it hot for about 8 minutes. Then strain it and put it into a sterilised jar.

She says it's unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭trashcan

I use the supermarket pre made bases, I find they are perfectly fine. I like thin and crispy, so lately I’ve been putting the base in the oven for a few minutes, before taking it out and applying the sauce and toppings. I find it stops it going as soggy in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Hot honey or even just a good dusting of chilli flakes and a lil drizzle of runny honey is gorgeous on pizza.

Miller's on Baggot St has been doing "eclectic" toppings for about 30 years. I'm normally quite a pizza purist but they have some amazing ones. Lamb Masala is particularly good.

Pi in Cork were doing whacky pizzas back around 98. I distinctly remember duck confit pizza amongst others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pizza delivery robots on BBC2 NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I was looking for a table to house the Ooni, between the prices that are being charged and lack of supply I decided to make one instead.

PXL-20210119-152526351.jpg

PXL-20210119-161426942.jpg

PXL-20210119-161435338.jpg

PXL-20210121-153613842.jpg

PXL-20210125-153338436.jpg

PXL-20210128-162309180.jpg

PXL-20210205-155417300.jpg

I got inspiration from this, but wanted to try out the pocket hole jig i bought last summer, so used that instead of her rough and ready assembly.

I also had leftover 3x3 so used them for the legs rather than 2 4*2 she uses. The table top is spruce floor boards, think they were 40 from B&Q, yaht varnish to seal but will be under a roof so doesnt need to be that rainproof.

57" long, 31"wide and 33" legs + the 4" castors make an overall height of ~37", i wanted it higher than a standard worktop height so i could see inside the pizza oven easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

oleras wrote: »
    I was looking for a table to house the Ooni, between the prices that are being charged and lack of supply I decided to make one instead.

I got inspiration from this, but wanted to try out the pocket hole jig i bought last summer, so used that instead of her rough and ready assembly.

I also had leftover 3x3 so used them for the legs rather than 2 4*2 she uses. The table top is spruce floor boards, think they were 40 from B&Q, yaht varnish to seal but will be under a roof so doesnt need to be that rainproof.

57" long, 31"wide and 33" legs + the 4" castors make an overall height of ~37", i wanted it higher than a standard worktop height so i could see inside the pizza oven easier.

And what might you charge a man to make a second one?? :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That looks fantastic, fair play!

Pete123456 wrote: »
    And what might you charge a man to make a second one?? :D :pac:

Sure didnt i give you free plans ! :D

• Advertisement

You should have made a hole in it to sit your kamado in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hey all.

As part of a large renovation myself and my partner are undertaking in France, we've always dreamed of a bread oven. Our objective has been to try to make maximum use of the oven year round, plus also have it be suitable for cooking pizza and game. The difference between a bread oven and pizza oven would primarily be that bread is cooked in residual heat. So the thermal mass of the oven needs to be very significant, and the insulation likewise be very substantial. To maximise our use of the oven we decided to build it into the fabric of the building so that we could have an inside access to the oven.

Thirdly, to be able to cook game (such as a suckling pig, or large joint of boar) we looked for an oven with an oversized opening (which unfortunately is a compromise for pizza cooking and insulation ...)

This lead us to the FGM 950B raised.
    Little did we know at the time, but Four Grand Mère in fact made this oven in a double door variant. Finally we were able to solve that conundrum of summer & winter use!

As mentioned we are in the middle of a full scale renovation, so we could build it into the wall. We started with the base.

3Z7L5xp.jpg?2

This is a reinforced concrete pad built on top of a granite stone wall. It overhangs internally as we made the decision that the oven would be installed flush with the external wall.

xfx9DbR.jpg?1

The oven comes in a kit assembly. So there's no intricate brick laying, but there's still plenty to do! The insulated floor is laid, on top of which the 2 floor halves are placed of the oven. And then the dome got carried into position by the crane.

d9pUtDr.jpg?2

Here you can clearly see the future 2 doors of the oven. One inside and one outside.

rJlTyfz.jpg?1

Next came the insulation. This is horrible stuff to work with so had to protect my skin and wear a mask. But anyway got it done over the course of an afternoon ready for the builder to come back on Monday and build up the stone wall.

SKIYSPL.jpg?1

Here's the flu being assembled which links the 2 exhausts of the oven to allow for the dual door usage (only one door at a time of course...)

4rNediC.jpg?1

The builder pulled it out of the bag to be honest with some lovely brickwork to create this arch around the oven mouth which keeps the weight of the wall above off the oven of course too.

2sXyQWu.jpg?2

The job's still ongoing with the rest of the roof so can't yet use the oven. I'll be back with pics of the finished job and a pizza pulled from the oven!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Wow! Be sure to come back when the work is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Top stuff. If you haven't done so already check out "The wood fired oven chef" on YouTube. He did a great episode on cooking with retained heat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Must say Im enjoying the Ooni even more ever since switching from wood pellets to gas, its just so much more convenient than topping up wood pellets every 5 minutes.

Like tonight Im watching football so when the first half got to 25 minutes I just popped out to the garden and turned it on and on the way back I put a can of coke in the freezer. Watched the rest of the half and then at half time quickly prepared the base & toppings and cooked the pizza in under two minutes then a quick shake of oregano and grabbed the ice cold can of coke to go with it. Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

This might be of interest to self build folks, I love the idea of the roasting spit

https://youtu.be/NgeHtvQyFe8

Tried my hand at a Detroit style, cooked in the kitchen oven. I was very happy.

PXL-20210219-190010752.jpg

PXL-20210219-194827758.jpg

PXL-20210219-195033884.jpg

PXL-20210219-201941751.jpg

PXL-20210219-202221928.jpg

Those crispy edges were delish.

Followed this recipe, had to add about 3 tablespoons of flour, it was very wet initially.

^^^^^ That's one big mother- well done!!!

Comerman wrote: »
    This might be of interest to self build folks, I love the idea of the roasting spit

https://youtu.be/NgeHtvQyFe8

:confused:

The sate of that

:confused:

The sate of that

I'll explain a bit further for ya, people are building tables for their bbq's, the way he made the TOP was good but obviously higher stronger legs would be needed which would be easy to do as the underside of the top is a wooden pallet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Where do you get the caputo flour from? I can't find it anywhere
    For anyone living in d9 or d11 out thereabouts, the grapevine, a little convenience store cum off licence, at the junction of griffith avenue and ballymun road sells it. If you do go there, get the bake in the tray provolone cheese too.

Comerman wrote: »
    I'll explain a bit further for ya, people are building tables for their bbq's, the way he made the TOP was good but obviously higher stronger legs would be needed which would be easy to do as the underside of the top is a wooden pallet.

Not spray paint cans?:D

Not spray paint cans?:D

There you go

12 inch pizza peel on Amazon reduced from £20 to £12.50, with Prime it works out at 12.22 euro because the VAT has been taken off. It doesnt have a foldable handle so bear that in mind for where you might be able to store it
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Italian-Traditional-Pizza-Peel/dp/B01B382DJ8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=pizza+peel&qid=1614357656&s=kitchen&sr=1-5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    12 inch pizza peel on Amazon reduced from £20 to £12.50, with Prime it works out at 12.22 euro because the VAT has been taken off. It doesnt have a foldable handle so bear that in mind for where you might be able to store it
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Italian-Traditional-Pizza-Peel/dp/B01B382DJ8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=pizza+peel&qid=1614357656&s=kitchen&sr=1-5

Nice on think Ill pick that up.

Pizza tonight. First time since autumn. Dough rising nicely, Chianti decanting......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Pizza for us for lunch one of the days this weekend! First run for the ooni in 2021! Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Doing a 48 hour fermentation so dough is lovely and risen, roll on tomorrow afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Oven arrived today, anyone got a decent dough recipe?

Re Pizza app, us there no option for cold proofing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we do it the lazy way; we've a bread machine with a dough cycle that makes perfectly good dough.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Nice on think Ill pick that up.

Pizza tonight. First time since autumn. Dough rising nicely, Chianti decanting......

yeah I bought it as well even though there is no foldable handle. I think I have a press just about deep enough to store it in. For 12 euro you cant go too far wrong as they are usually 20-30 quid anytime I looked.

How come no pizza cooking since autumn? I remember you were at it loads last summer :D
    Oven arrived today, anyone got a decent dough recipe?

Re Pizza app, us there no option for cold proofing?

There is a dough recipe on the Ooni app as well as a dough calculator which figures out how much of each ingredient you need by the size of the doughballs you want. Word of warning though- Ooni set the doughball by default to 160g which is pretty low and difficult to stretch out into a 12 inch disc without it ripping. Id start off with a doughball of about 240 grams and see how you go from there.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole of various pizza doughs then this site is excellent, its got lots of recipes for the different styles of pizza
    https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=74ar0579ru33978surmq2pqib4&

Advertisement