Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The tables are IKEA Lack coffee tables, €19 each. The white plastic bits I 3D printed - if anyone wants the STLs, I'm happy to share.

I would love the STL file if you wouldn't mind sharing it?

Really nice job btw! We'll be building something similar in the near future.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Never heard of them before but they certainly wouldn't break in a BBQ!

Reading about them, they say that the main difference between stone and cast iron is the price - €20-odd for a stone, €90-odd for metal.

I'd Google your local iron gate supplier and ask them to make you one. If you're stuck, I do know a guy in Dublin 5 that makes all things metal.

Can you pass on their details...tried couple in my local but none had a 6-8mm plate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Can you pass on their details...tried couple in my local but none had a 6-8mm plate

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Having some burning issues with ooni koda, the bottom of the crust keeps burning. I am using the ooni classic pizza dough recipe and the stone is around 430. Any one got any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

padair wrote: »
    Having some burning issues with ooni koda, the bottom of the crust keeps burning. I am using the ooni classic pizza dough recipe and the stone is around 430. Any one got any ideas?

In my experience either your flour or semolina is burning when it’s hitting the stone. It’s a bit of a balancing act to not “over flour” your peel with either flour or semolina.

Also I find flour is quicker to burn. Next time try stretching your dough with semolina and then out a light dusting on your peel. Then make sure you try and scrape your stone between pizzas to get rid of the burnt stuff at the back.

Hopefully that works for you

Pete123456 wrote: »
    In my experience either your flour or semolina is burning when it’s hitting the stone. It’s a bit of a balancing act to not “over flour” your peel with either flour or semolina.

Also I find flour is quicker to burn. Next time try stretching your dough with semolina and then out a light dusting on your peel. Then make sure you try and scrape your stone between pizzas to get rid of the burnt stuff at the back.

Hopefully that works for you

I will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

So, I ordered the Ooni Pro with expected delivery date of the mid to end of April.
    Just ordering it got my mind into getting a table, so built this one with plenty of space for "stuff". Lol

Been cooking homemade pizzas for a few years now but always in the oven. Would loved to have built/bought a cob oven but the wife gave me a belated Christmas prezzie. Maybe uogarde in a few years and now to practice proper dough throwing.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I suspect burnt flour too. I'm having some success with almost rubbing flour into my bamboo peel rather than sprinkling it on, if you know what I mean, so it can still launch successfully but doesn't have too much loose flour underneath.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I suspect burnt flour too. I'm having some success with almost rubbing flour into my bamboo peel rather than sprinkling it on, if you know what I mean, so it can still launch successfully but doesn't have too much loose flour underneath.

Cheers, I must try and source some semolina to see if it helps

• Advertisement

padair wrote: »
    Cheers, I must try and source some semolina to see if it helps

SuperValu or a good centra usually have it in the baking section - shamrock or one of those brands

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Finally managed to source that spicy Calabrian sausage nduja a few days ago from Toonsbridge Dairy on Georges St in Dublin. Used it on a pizza last night and it didnt go well as there is a lot of moisture in it and at the high temperatures of the Ooni it leaks out an orange coloured oil, similar to chorizo when you fry it. It made the entire pizza base soggy and it even leaked through it onto the plate. It burns quicker than the pizza can cook too and shrivels up in little balls to look like caviar.

Its nice without being overly spicy but I wouldnt use it again on pizza. Maybe theres other brands that are drier but I wont be going through all of them to find out. Still have 400 odd grams of it there in the fridge so I think I'll chop it in two and freeze it and then throw 200g in when Im next making a pot of chilli.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Finally managed to source that spicy Calabrian sausage nduja a few days ago from Toonsbridge Dairy on Georges St in Dublin. Used it on a pizza last night and it didnt go well as there is a lot of moisture in it and at the high temperatures of the Ooni it leaks out an orange coloured oil, similar to chorizo when you fry it. It made the entire pizza base soggy and it even leaked through it onto the plate. It burns quicker than the pizza can cook too and shrivels up in little balls to look like caviar.

Its nice without being overly spicy but I wouldnt use it again on pizza. Maybe theres other brands that are drier but I wont be going through all of them to find out. Still have 400 odd grams of it there in the fridge so I think I'll chop it in two and freeze it and then throw 200g in when Im next making a pot of chilli.

I found the same with SuperValu stuff - it’s massively hyped on the ooni uk FB group and its not that amazing. It’s grand like but I wasn’t running out to buy a third one for example...

I usually fry ‘the food with the most unlearnable spelling’ before using it on pizza. Moisture is the enemy........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I usually fry ‘the food with the most unlearnable spelling’ before using it on pizza. Moisture is the enemy........

I love well done chorizo. It adds so much to the flavour and if you fry it off first all the oil is dispersed.

How much did you put on? You only need a tiny tiny bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Has anyone used Musgrave Marketplace for flour? Seem to be able to set up an account and order for 30 days before they look for proof of business.

Might try it out as local supermarkets never tend to have 00 in stock.

The Nal wrote: »
    How much did you put on? You only need a tiny tiny bit.

I didnt use massive amounts, about 7 or 8 small little lumps of it between the slices of pepperoni.

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I found the same with SuperValu stuff - it’s massively hyped on the ooni uk FB group and its not that amazing. It’s grand like but I wasn’t running out to buy a third one for example...

Yeah me neither. Maybe it was the specific brand I had but there was a lot of oil coming out of it, it leaked through the base and turned the whole plate orange. Maybe frying it off first like Gloomtastic suggested and then adding it to a cooked pizza would be better than cooking it on the pizza in the oven itself. Will try that next time out.

I didnt use massive amounts, about 7 or 8 small little lumps of it between the slices of pepperoni.

This is the one I use. Not too much oil, doesn't run into the base. Very spicy and tasty.

Fallon-Byrne_Website_Grocery-Additions97.jpg

https://www.fallonandbyrne.com/shop/groceries/cheese-charcuterie/charcuterie/madeo-nduja-250g/

• Advertisement

Cheers Nal, will give that a try out seeing as it doesnt leak oil all over the place. The one I got was from Toonsbridge around the corner from Fallon & Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I use the same one as The Nal with no issues of too much oil on pizzas. Made nduja and black pudding sausage rolls this week and they were a thing of beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I use that one too but bought it in supervalu.

Cheers Nal, will give that a try out seeing as it doesnt leak oil all over the place. The one I got was from Toonsbridge around the corner from Fallon & Byrne

Toonsbridge have some great stuff. Their chorizo is off the charts good but not sure its suitable for a "cooking chorizo" if you know what I mean. Same for the nduja maybe. Their strongest blue cheese is amazing too and great on pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Highly recommend making this with the rest of your soft 'nduja, it really is excellent - https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/a-quick-pasta-dinner-that-packs-plenty-of-flavour-with-little-effort-1.4387221?mode=amp

Dial Hard wrote: »

Looks great.

Also, while we're on pizza leftovers - this dip is great for leftover toppings and cheese. Recipe says burrata but mozzarella will work.

Baked ‘nduja and burrata dip

And if theres any spare dough you can make grissini sticks with it for the dip.

https://prettysimplesweet.com/crispy-breadsticks-grissini/

Nolan’s in Clontarf have 00 flour on special - €1 for 1kg.
    DE937-A49-8832-4-DCD-AF84-61984240-C7-CA.jpg

3-A42-DB2-A-809-E-4-CC5-A7-E3-4-B248884-FEB6.jpg

First time doing an overnight proof in the fridge. Some difference in flavour isnt there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

The Nal wrote: »
    First time doing an overnight proof in the fridge. Some difference in flavour isnt there?

Can you give us run down of that please with your ingredients etc

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote: »
    Can you give us run down of that please with your ingredients etc

Sure. Basically the Ooni dough recipe. 500g 00 flour, 310ml warm water, bit of salt (not as much as the Ooni recipe says though) pinch of sugar, yeast. Mix yeast salt and sugar, stand for 5 mins, add to flour, knead as normal, cover and rest for 20 mins and then cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight. Take the dough out to come to room temp for 2 hours, divide into 4 dough balls, cover and rest for another two hours and then roll.

Big big difference in taste compared to a quicker proofing. Less toppings needed as a result.

Advertisement