Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Ooni pro pizza with oak logs... as with bbq - gas is cheating! :D:D

Caputo 00 Pizzeria with 63% hydration and 24 hour proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Nal wrote: »
    First time doing an overnight proof in the fridge. Some difference in flavour isnt there?

yeah there is quite the difference with cold proving, you noticeably can taste more depth of flavour in the pizza base. Ive had the cling film over the bowl in the fridge expand upwards like a football thats about to burst, presumably because of the yeast and sugar fermentation going on in there during a cold prove.

I saw somewhere before that pizza restaturants typically work off dough that has been allowed to cold prove for 2-3 days, they say thats the sweet spot for flavour of a 5 day dough cycle. Also that doc on Channel 4 about Dominoes said they deliver their dough on the second day after production for use on the third day.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Caputo 00 is on offer at €1.50 in SuperValu at the minute. Stocked up earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Fyra got up to 580c at one stage last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Ooni pro pizza with oak logs... as with bbq - gas is cheating! :D:D

Oh no, don't say that or we'll end up with separate gas and wood pizza oven threads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

tangy wrote: »
    Oh no, don't say that or we'll end up with separate gas and wood pizza oven threads :)

What a good idea! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

ordered the karu 12 from ooni site on the 6th of march and it arrived today so less than 3 weeks delivery time for anyone lookin to know delivery times, didnt see box yet so not sure if gas attachment with it or not but can confirm later

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Can someone recommend a stand mixer with a dough hook?.

Will not get sign off from Mrs Crinklewood to go too mad on pricing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

You don't need a mixer for pizza dough. Unless you are more planning on using it for other things and it's a bonus?

You don't need a mixer for pizza dough. Unless you are more planning on using it for other things and it's a bonus?

Yup, would probably use it for other things.

Little balancing act, the price will probably be the deciding factor if i actually need it, or will just knead it.

P.S Thanks for reply!

• Advertisement

Making dough with a mixer is so much easier than kneading by hand (I hate kneading by hand). But making dough murders mixer motors.

I use the no-knead dough method when making sourdough. No reason it wouldn’t work with pizza dough.

Add flour and salt, mix with a tablespoon. Add yeast, oil and water (plus sugar if you want it). Stir with tablespoon for minute or two. Cover. Come back in an hour and stir again. Cover. Stir again after an hour. When there are no dry-floury bits in your dough, you’re done! You can then cover and leave in the fridge overnight or for up to 72 hours for extra flavour.

Good luck! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we have a bread machine i bought many years ago for a 75% discount and then never used (living on your own, with bread that goes stale quickly means you'd want to be eating a lot of bread), but now is exclusively used for the dough cycle. we get perfectly good dough within two hours with little work.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Anyone recommend a pepperoni, mot happy with anything I've tried so far.

I got cheap one in Aldi a couple of years back, they come up a few times a year in the middle aisles. Ambiano is the brand on it and it was 59.99 with a 3 year warranty. Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOFUzBEbMXE

I dont know what the longevity of it is but it has a dough hook and is perfectly fine for making pizza dough. Despite good intentions I never really use it for anything else other than pizza dough as Im not a big baker anyway. So for me Im glad I just spent the 60 quid rather than saving up a few hundred for a Kitchen Aid or similar because it would never have got used except for pizza dough.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I got cheap one in Aldi a couple of years back, they come up a few times a year in the middle aisles. Ambiano is the brand on it and it was 59.99 with a 3 year warranty. Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOFUzBEbMXE

I dont know what the longevity of it is but it has a dough hook and is perfectly fine for making pizza dough. Despite good intentions I never really use it for anything else other than pizza dough as Im not a big baker anyway. So for me Im glad I just spent the 60 quid rather than saving up a few hundred for a Kitchen Aid or similar because it would never have got used except for pizza dough.

Mm...there actually one in LIDL this week

https://www.lidl.ie/p/p9480?productId=9480&countryCode=IE

Will so a bit more research...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

That Lidl mixer's more of a hand-mixer-with-a-stand; Mua's Aldi one is a proper stand mixer. I expect it'll be more powerful and more solid than the Lidl one.

We've got a Kenwood that looks just like the Lidl mixer. It hasn't got a dough hook, but I wouldn't want to make dough with it anyhow.

I had an Aldi Stand mixer that I used for dough for a few years but it eventually burnt out. It was detachable from the stand and you could use it as a hand mixer. The mixers now can’t do that I believe.

That Lidl one looks like it would last a week! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

New hear so will ask straight up....anyone have or ever seen the gas pizza oven Forno Etna Two?? Was thinking of buying an Ooni Koda, however an Italian lad at work recommended the Etna Two, would have to buy it from either Germany or Austria he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Anyone recommend a pepperoni, mot happy with anything I've tried so far.

I know purists are turning in the grave but I use some nice chorizo. (I liked Aldi non sliced one).

yeah would avoid that Lidl stand mixer, it is only 300 watts so not a whole load of power and Id say the motor would burn out in no time trying to make pizza dough. The bowl looks quite small and it narrows at the bottom.

The Ambiano stand mixer from Aldi is 600 watts so a fair bit more power. For 60 quid and a three year warranty you cant go too far wrong. Im only using it about once every five to six weeks to make a batch of pizza dough so hopefully I will get a good few years out of it. I couldnt have justified spending 400 odd on a Kitchen Aid or Kenwood when I only use it maybe about 8 times a year.

• Advertisement

RedCardKid wrote: »
    New hear so will ask straight up....anyone have or ever seen the gas pizza oven Forno Etna Two?? Was thinking of buying an Ooni Koda, however an Italian lad at work recommended the Etna Two, would have to buy it from either Germany or Austria he said.

Just had a look at their website there, it seems reasonably similar to the Ooni in shape and design. At 700 euro though it aint cheap if this is the gas one you are referring to?
    http://www.fornoallegro.com/forni-gas/forno-etna-gas.html

Im sure it does a great job and everything but so too does the Ooni for a much cheaper price. Theres another brand out there called a Roccbox which is priced at around 450. I think theyre mainly aimed at catering companies who have a need to do dozens of pizzas one after the other. Which is overkill for domestic use where most would be doing 2 or 3 pizzas per cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just had a look at their website there, it seems reasonably similar to the Ooni in shape and design. At 700 euro though it aint cheap if this is the gas one you are referring to?

Im sure it does a great job and everything but so too does the Ooni for a much cheaper price. Theres another brand out there called a Roccbox which is priced at around 450. I think theyre mainly aimed at catering companies who have a need to do dozens of pizzas one after the other. Which is overkill for domestic use where most would be doing 2 or 3 pizzas per cook.

(www).tyzzeria.com/product/forno-etna-two/

That is the one my mate is talking about. He says the advantage is that the flame rolls over the pizza unlike with the Ooni. It bakes one pizza at a time....workmate just told me it would cost €530 (he gets 10% discount through a group), he will then send it on a lorry to me at work with the next delivery coming from Austria.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anyone have any recipes for gluten free dough that are worth trying? We have a friend who's coeliac and would like to cater for her when restrictions lift.

RedCardKid wrote: »
    (www).tyzzeria.com/product/forno-etna-two/

That is the one my mate is talking about. He says the advantage is that the flame rolls over the pizza unlike with the Ooni. It bakes one pizza at a time....workmate just told me it would cost €530 (he gets 10% discount through a group), he will then send it on a lorry to me at work with the next delivery coming from Austria.

To me it seems like a lot of money for no evident advantage. The flames on an Ooni roll over the top of the ceiling of the oven and do the job fine. If you wanted to put a pizza directly into the flame you can lift it up with a pizza peel and hold it there but it will burn relatively quick.

Id say the best thing to do is watch some Youtube videos of both of them and judge for yourself. But for me Im not seeing where the extra 200 quid or so over the price of an Ooni is going. Both ovens get up to 500 degrees for cooking pizza, once they can do that I would have thought there is relatively little difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

meeeeh wrote: »
    I know purists are turning in the grave but I use some nice chorizo. (I liked Aldi non sliced one).

Nothing wrong with sliced chorizo mate I use all sorts of meat but just never found a pepperoni I really like yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I rarely make dough with the stand mixer (kMix), our weekly pizza is stirred by hand (himself prefers that to washing the stand mixer bowl...).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made dough for eight pizzas today - two for dinner and six for the freezer. I weighed the ingredients into the stand mixer, ran it with the dough hook until it was nicely combined, and then hand-kneaded it for five minutes.

I find the initial mixing to be the most tedious and difficult part, and I find the dough hook doesn't knead as well as I can do by hand. If I was just making dough for two pizzas I'd do it all by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

meeeeh wrote: »

You can of course use anything you want to including chorizo.

However, i do recommend:

1) Grated cheese (of any kind) but buffalo mozzarella being recommended
    2) N,Duja -small bits peppered over the pizza
    3) Any other favoured toppings
    4) Perhaps some honey drizzled over or around

Try that and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'll try and get the name of the brand when I am there next but Lynams in Goatstown sell a lovely pepperoni.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

wandererz wrote: »
    You can of course use anything you want to including chorizo.

However, i do recommend:

1) Grated cheese (of any kind) but buffalo mozzarella being recommended
    2) N,Duja -small bits peppered over the pizza
    3) Any other favoured toppings
    4) Perhaps some honey drizzled over or around

Try that and see how you get on.

I'm afraid I'll completely ignore this. :D I don't do honey on pizza or any other sweet/fruit toppings. I also don't like too soft fatty sausages, that's why I prefer smoked chorizo to pepperoni (njuda is a no go and I don'tlike cooking sausages including chorizo). I'm also very iffy about garlic content in sausages. I come from a country that does a lot of charcuterie but I don't like a lot of it. I slice soft mozzarella and find a lot of other cheeses way too strong for pizza.

Anyway the two hits on Friday were doing margarita and after it comes out of oven topping it with parma ham and rocket. The other one was pizza with salmon, anchovies and capers.

Advertisement