Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Can't find the original Jamie Oliver video but he just put the ingredients in a food processor and the dough was done in a few seconds.

Here's someone else doing the same thing https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MABUNp1MKyM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anyone have any recipes for gluten free dough that are worth trying? We have a friend who's coeliac and would like to cater for her when restrictions lift.

Any fears about cross contamination? My mother in law suffers very bad and my missus has said that it wouldn't be worth the risk.

I don't think I'll chance it but I had thought that a good cleaning and preheating would kill any gluten from the Ooni.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

PARlance wrote: »
    Any fears about cross contamination? My mother in law suffers very bad and my missus has said that it wouldn't be worth the risk.

I don't think I'll chance it but I had thought that a good cleaning and preheating would kill any gluten from the Ooni.

Have a similar situation with the little one. Ended up buying a new pizza stone just for her. Her Pizza is always the first one done, stone removed and on we go. It can be a very nasty illness that can be triggered by very little contact. Having seen the wee one suffer, I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

To those asking for Pizza dough tips....do you know the app Pizzapp?? Been using it for a while and it is very easy and usually gives good results if you used good flour.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I know purists are turning in the grave but I use some nice chorizo. (I liked Aldi non sliced one).

Apart from the ruining pineapple jokes... I really don't think there are many "purists" out there. Personally, Chorizo would be my meat topping of choice.

Pizza comes in all shapes and sizes even within Italy itself, it's even traditional to deep fry pizza, so anything goes imo. Except pineapple ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Pineapple, smoked ham and chili jam on pizza is a thing of wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as in 'i wonder why you'd do that?' sort of way?
    (joke, btw)

The Nal wrote: »
    Pineapple, smoked ham and chili jam on pizza is a thing of wonder.

Personally, I would say...stick what you want on it. Main thing is that you enjoy what you are eating.

RedCardKid wrote: »
    Have a similar situation with the little one. Ended up buying a new pizza stone just for her. Her Pizza is always the first one done, stone removed and on we go. It can be a very nasty illness that can be triggered by very little contact. Having seen the wee one suffer, I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

To those asking for Pizza dough tips....do you know the app Pizzapp?? Been using it for a while and it is very easy and usually gives good results if you used good flour.

Had been thinking about another stone for the Ooni but was thinking that it would be too much of a wait between allowing first stone to cool and heating second one. Could probably work around that by investing in a good set of gloves and having the second stone somewhat preheated in a conventional oven.

Yes, it's a terrible affliction for those that have it bad. MIL is extremely careful, last time she got caught out was a few years ago and she spent the night in the bathroom vomitting, collapsed as well as she was so weak from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cheers, I hadn't considered that. Will park the idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Had been thinking about another stone for the Ooni but was thinking that it would be too much of a wait between allowing first stone to cool and heating second one. Could probably work around that by investing in a good set of gloves and having the second stone somewhat preheated in a conventional oven.
    Would you keep one side of the stone for cooking GF. I haven't turned my stone yet as I'm saving it to cook one GF for my sister. She hasn't been able to get to me to visit because of Covid. I have the Caputo GF flour here for her too.

Or why don't you put two stones in the oven to heat up. Then remove the gluten free one when that pizza is cooked - obviously you'd need protective gloves.

• Advertisement

Pipmae wrote: »
    Would you keep one side of the stone for cooking GF. I haven't turned my stone yet as I'm saving it to cook one GF for my sister. She hasn't been able to get to me to visit because of Covid. I have the Caputo GF flour here for her too.

Or why don't you put two stones in the oven to heat up. Then remove the gluten free one when that pizza is cooked - obviously you'd need protective gloves.

Too late for keeping both sides, had a disaster early doors. The two stones preheating could work but she has no tolerance whatsoever, so the fear would be there.

I'll probably just end up getting a new stone or steel for the conventional oven for complete peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Too late for keeping both sides, had a disaster early doors. The two stones preheating could work but she has no tolerance whatsoever, so the fear would be there.

I'll probably just end up getting a new stone or steel for the conventional oven for complete peace of mind.

Only one thing for it so. She needs her own oven. :pac:

Pipmae wrote: »
    Only one thing for it so. She needs her own oven. :pac:

I have just bought a pizza oven from a lad in Austria, will be shipped next week. Daughter will be getting her pizza from the gas BBQ, the rest of us from the new Etna Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

we have a bread machine i bought many years ago for a 75% discount and then never used (living on your own, with bread that goes stale quickly means you'd want to be eating a lot of bread), but now is exclusively used for the dough cycle. we get perfectly good dough within two hours with little work.
    You can freeze bread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Apart from the ruining pineapple jokes... I really don't think there are many "purists" out there. Personally, Chorizo would be my meat topping of choice.

Pizza comes in all shapes and sizes even within Italy itself, it's even traditional to deep fry pizza, so anything goes imo. Except pineapple ;)

Oh absolutely I'm not overly picky about what I sick on pizza as long as I like the topping.

BTW I came across most disgusting pizza in Sicily. It was called hot dog pizza and it was served with frankfurter and chips on top. My son thought it was the best thing ever. 90% of the tourists were Italian and almost nobody spoke English so it was not the type of a place that serves Germans or Brits on holidays. ;) I still shudder 4 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh absolutely I'm not overly picky about what I sick on pizza as long as I like the topping.

BTW I came across most disgusting pizza in Sicily. It was called hot dog pizza and it was served with frankfurter and chips on top. My son thought it was the best thing ever. 90% of the tourists were Italian and almost nobody spoke English so it was not the type of a place that serves Germans or Brits on holidays. ;) I still shudder 4 years later.

I lived in Italy for 5 years so believe me that this is a very normal pizza in Italy - I mean it’s fcuking scandalous!! I wouldn’t be too worried about what Italians find normal or not to be put on a pizza to be honest. Most of it is nonsense that’s just culturally ingrained rules and nothing to do with the reality of the dish/taste

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hard to beat a bit of black pudding crumbled on a pizza. The Irish nduja

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Just after ordering a koda and wondering if I need to build a little concrete table to place it on? Is it ok just sitting a on wooden table?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sidford wrote: »
    Just after ordering a koda and wondering if I need to build a little concrete table to place it on? Is it ok just sitting a on wooden table?

Yeah its fine. I just a use a folding plastic picnic table.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah its fine. I just a use a folding plastic picnic table.

Ah great stuff thanks a million for that

• Advertisement

my wife recently got some scamorza (sp?) - a smoked italian cheese, M&S are stocking it; and it's great on pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

Gordon Ramsay has opened a pizza restaurant in London.
    Here's the menu if you're interested in replicating in your oven.

0QhYj1q

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Iguarantee

wandererz wrote: »
    Gordon Ramsay has opened a pizza restaurant in London.
    Here's the menu if you're interested in replicating in your oven.

0QhYj1q

RE pizza in London, I'd urge anyone who likes pizza to try "Franco Manca". Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Sun shining,3 day dough proved mozzarella and chorizo on route from Toonsbridge oven full of wood. Just need to open the wine ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made pizzas tonight with some of the dough I froze last weekend - it worked perfectly, yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Lads, I've 2 questions,

1) stringy cheese, What kind of mozzarella is the best and any suggestions where/what brand I can get easily?

2) how do you get the dough to keep shape once stretched? I've noticed that I can get dough stretched to a good size, but then it shrinks back down to a smaller size. Is this a case of needing to stretch it a lot more than the actual end size I'm looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Ordered a Koda last night... So I guess in 3-4 weeks I'll be on the pizza wagon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

scarepanda wrote: »
    Lads, I've 2 questions,

1) stringy cheese, What kind of mozzarella is the best and any suggestions where/what brand I can get easily?

2) how do you get the dough to keep shape once stretched? I've noticed that I can get dough stretched to a good size, but then it shrinks back down to a smaller size. Is this a case of needing to stretch it a lot more than the actual end size I'm looking for?

The Fior Di Latte shreds from Ripasso, Pizza mozzarella from Toonsbridge or in a pinch the tesco pizza mozzarella. We blind tested Buffalo mozzarella balls against all of these and no one could tell the difference!

How long as your dough been at room temp when you try stretch it? Cold dough tends to be less elastic.

mozzarella is very easy to make at home anyway. you can work the curds more or less, depending on what consistency you want; and you can use the whey in your pizza dough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thank you!

The closest I've gotten to stringy cheese is from those mini mozzarella balls in Lidl. I must try some better quality cheese.

The temp of the dough may have been the issue alright, twas out max maybe 45mins. How long would it need to be at room temp? I've only recently got anyways decent at stretching (or to the point I don't need to use a rolling pin) so never really paid heed to it contracting before.

Advertisement