Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My Ooni arrived today so I have a couple of attempts, they came out pretty well. The first a little bit burnt.. the second less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Just opened up my ooni and no pizza stone?!? Bloody hell. Happy Saturday! Anyone else have this issue??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sidford wrote: »
    Just opened up my ooni and no pizza stone?!? Bloody hell. Happy Saturday! Anyone else have this issue??

It should be wrapped up separately in some funky bubble wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It should be wrapped up separately in some funky bubble wrap

No sign of it. Have contacted support who said they'll get back to me on it. Bloody raging, have everything bought for pizza tonight.

Just wanted to check if happened to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Considering making a purchase and wondering if there are any insights as to what fuel type is best?

I have a gas BBQ already so always have gas around.

Is the gas ooni good enough nor do you 'need' the wood fire ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

batman1 wrote: »
    Considering making a purchase and wondering if there are any insights as to what fuel type is best?

I've only tried the gas ooni but it makes as good a pizza as I've had in Ireland! The wood fired might be more authentic I guess but probably a little harder to regulate heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I went with gas for convenience. Most people say that your cook time is so quick that you don't get any taste difference with wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

So I have my ooni a couple of weeks now and been trying all different settings. I use wood and charcoal (lump wood).
    Anyway, learned today not to use on a windy day as the flames didn't come over the pizza as it should and took a little from the toppings cooking properly. But today I used coarse semolina for making the pizza on a peel and wow, what a difference to the base. I would highly recommend using this instead of flour for the peel. Amazing difference in the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I have an unni 3, which was designed for wood pellets, but maintaining the fire/temperature was a royal pain in the hole, so I switched to gas and never looked back. I know I'm not the only person to have that experience, and I've seen others state that the wood makes no difference to flavour because the pizzas cook so quickly. So, my advice would be to go gas (even though I totally get the appeal of the wood fire, and I'm sure the recent models that support wood burning are better than mine was).

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Thanks everyone.
    Do the gas ovens arrive with the correct regulator for the patio gas cylinders ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Thanks everyone.
    Do the gas ovens arrive with the correct regulator for the patio gas cylinders ?

Yes assuming you ordered the 37mb one.

So today was Pizza Day!!
    A lot of running around but got their in the end.
    Couldn’t find Marzano tomatoes anywhere! (Funnily enough there was a show on Channel 4 explaining why they are better for sauces so I became obsessed trying to find them! I’ll get them next time.)
    Sauce was a bit runnier than I would’ve liked even though I cooked it longer than recommended.
    I used Mozzarella balls and used the trick that someone else recommended here. Just as well I did as they made the first pizza quite wet. I managed to crumble them up and pat them down for the rest which worked really well.

First pizza wasn’t great. My 8 year gave me 5/10. The cheek! Although he was probably right. The dough was too thick.

Third one was close to perfect. Managed to get the dough very thin. Didn’t have any trouble launching them or turning them so was quite pleased with that.

550505.jpeg

attachment.php?attachmentid=550506&d=1618691320

One thing that I've really been trying to get nailed down is getting 4 pizzas to the table at the same time. Not that I mind it too much but I wanted to see if I could feed the family and not be running around making pizza's while they are eating.

Did 4 pizzas today in good time, from launching the first pizza to getting all 4 on the table, it was just over 12 mins.

All ingredients and orders prepped in advance.
    Had the normal oven warm to store pizza 1,2 and 3.
    Prepared the four bases in advance.

Tbh, it wasn't as hectic as I would have imagined and it made a nice change to sit down and not have to be running in and out as the rest ate. Enjoyed a couple of cold beers instead.

The first three pizzas were all nice and warm. The only thing I would change would be to leave the basil until after the cook, for the first three. The warmth of the normal oven would be enough.

Anyone got any tips for this scenario...the thought of having all 4 topped did enter my head but I think that would be asking for trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

@Sidford - that's awful that the stone wasn't in the box with your oven, I hope you get it soon. While I didn't have that happen I can totally understand how annoyed you'd be. I'm sure Ooni will rectify it quickly for you.

@batman1 - if you already have a gas bbq, like I do, then I'd go for a gas pizza oven. We got the Koda 12, which I've used twice and it was brilliant - quick to heat up and the pizza cooks in just over a minute. The Koda 12 came with the 37m bar regulator BUT you'll need to make sure you have "patio gas" as the connection is smaller than what we have on the gas for our bbq. My husband brought home the wrong one -- even though I stressed patio gas several times. ;)

@BaZmO* - great job on the pizzas. Glad to know that my family aren't the only ones giving pizza ratings. FYI - on my second go I was told pizza was as good or better than was had at restaurants on holidays.

@PARlance - I hope to get up to your speed soon. I, too, seem to be making pizzas while everyone is eating. I'm blaming my husband for this as I'm still waiting for my pizza table to be finished & then I'll park myself beside that with a glass of wine while pizzas are cooking. @Muahahaha is the inspiration for the table I asked my husband to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PARlance wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for this scenario...the thought of having all 4 topped did enter my head but I think that would be asking for trouble?

Cook all 4 and then go back to the first and give each one another 20 seconds in the oven to get them all hot again.

The Nal wrote: »
    Cook all 4 and then go back to the first and give each one another 20 seconds in the oven to get them all hot again.

Sometimes the obvious thing is staring you right in the face :)

PARlance wrote: »
    Sometimes the obvious thing is staring you right in the face :)

Just make sure to keep the guests filthy mitts off the resting pizzas!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭nomoedoe

So today was Pizza Day!!
    Couldn’t find Marzano tomatoes anywhere! (Funnily enough there was a show on Channel 4 explaining why they are better for sauces so I became obsessed trying to find them! I’ll get them next time.)
    Sauce was a bit runnier than I would’ve liked even though I cooked it longer than recommended.
    I used Mozzarella balls and used the trick that someone else recommended here. Just as well I did as they made the first pizza quite wet. I managed to crumble them up and pat them down for the rest which worked really well.

First pizza wasn’t great. My 8 year gave me 5/10. The cheek! Although he was probably right. The dough was too thick.

Third one was close to perfect. Managed to get the dough very thin. Didn’t have any trouble launching them or turning them so was quite pleased with that.

Ive got San Marzano tomatoes in Supervalu they are in the Italian food section with the pasta and sauces etc or you can get them delivered by Little Italy in Dublin ,but i wouldn't get to hung up on the sauce the Mutti pizza sauce is lovely also and can get that in Tesco or Supervalu , I made a BBQ chicken pizza last night and used the Mutti sauce i just added BBQ sauce to it and it was lovely!

nomoedoe wrote: »
    Ive got San Marzano tomatoes in Supervalu they are in the Italian food section with the pasta and sauces etc or you can get them delivered by Little Italy in Dublin ,but i wouldn't get to hung up on the sauce the Mutti pizza sauce is lovely also and can get that in Tesco or Supervalu , I made a BBQ chicken pizza last night and used the Mutti sauce i just added BBQ sauce to it and it was lovely!

I went to my local SuperValu but they didn’t have any. Not overly bothered and I enjoy cooking so making the sauce is not a problem. Would just like to try them to see if there’s any noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I went to my local SuperValu but they didn’t have any. Not overly bothered and I enjoy cooking so making the sauce is not a problem. Would just like to try them to see if there’s any noticeable difference.

Dunnes do them in the black cans. Make sure you go for plum, not chopped. A bit of salt into the can then use the stick blender, pulsing it maybe 2-3 times max. Anything more and the sauce is too watery. Its the best sauce (for me!) if you’re doing neapolitan style anyway. Vito Iacopelli on youtube is the main man for the recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

LAds, if you get cracking now, you can have more san marzanos than you need in september...

Grew them last year and they were unreal. Ended up blending and freezing loads of pizza sauce.

Dunnes do them in the black cans. Make sure you go for plum, not chopped. A bit of salt into the can then use the stick blender, pulsing it maybe 2-3 times max. Anything more and the sauce is too watery. Its the best sauce (for me!) if you’re doing neapolitan style anyway. Vito Iacopelli on youtube is the main man for the recipe!

Went to Dunnes too, looking for the black cans. Nowt!

I used a masher with the ones that I used. Always gives a better texture. Never use chopped tomatoes for any recipe as they are always too watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

So today was Pizza Day!!
    Couldn’t find Marzano tomatoes anywhere!
    (Funnily enough there was a show on Channel 4 explaining why they are better for sauces so I became obsessed trying to find them! I’ll get them next time.)

I had the same obsession for a while with the San Marzano tomatoes. It turns out dunnes do them. Part of their "simply better" range, and they come in a can with a black label.

Edit: Apologies, chan chan man beat me to it. I'm not a regular dunnes shopper, but when I bought them, they weren't with the rest of the tinned tomatoes, they were in what seemed to be a dedicated section for all their simply better stuff.

And from recollection, they (Dunnes) don't label them boldly as San Marzano tomatoes... Think I had to look at the ingredients list to see that there were.

Supervalue do San Marzano tomato cans aswell. €1.75

8003716001929_3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

I stumbled on this in Tesco and thought i'd give it a try.

Was able to do 4 pizza's per can.
    It's the right size as well, so no having to open a large can and wasting.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=289807024

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

I didn't taste much difference between the San Marzano and Tesco own brand 45c Italian tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

Housefree wrote: »
    I didn't taste much difference between the San Marzano and Tesco own brand 45c Italian tomatoes

My dear Sir/Madam,

You are obviously not a connoisseur of the highest order!

By all accounts, if you were then one would indeed have considered the sourcing of the tomatoes and everything ordered and cooked by the relevant people.

If that were the case, then one would indeed be in the enviable position of tasting the absolutely fresh and delectable Buffalo Mozzarella, the fresh basil, the n'duja, the drizzle of honey, the mushrooms delicately fried in soy sauce, the potatoes very thinly sliced, the ... IT'S A DAMN PIZZZA for PETE'S SAKE!!!

Have i become jaded??
    I do have a Ooni Koda 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

wandererz wrote: »
    My dear Sir/Madam,

You are obviously not a connoisseur of the highest order!

By all accounts, if you were then one would indeed have considered the sourcing of the tomatoes and everything ordered and cooked by the relevant people.

If that were the case, then one would indeed be in the enviable position of tasting the absolutely fresh and delectable Buffalo Mozzarella, the fresh basil, the n'duja, the drizzle of honey, the mushrooms delicately fried in soy sauce, the potatoes very thinly sliced, the ... IT'S A DAMN PIZZZA for PETE'S SAKE!!!

Have i become jaded??
    I do have a Ooni Koda 16.

For me, cooking a pizza with anything other than the best tomato, best mozeralla cheese, right flour etc is out of the question. That's the whole point of getting the Ooni Imo.

If you take the view that "its just a dam pizza", you might as well just stick a Goodfellas frozen pizza in the oven.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I've used crushed San Marzanos and 29c Aldi passata and there isnt much of a difference in taste after a belt in the oven at 500c. But Im using tiny amounts of passata these days anyway. Its all in the dough really.

Advertisement