Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭nomoedoe

Maybe a bit controversial for some but i made a Ham & Pineapple pizza last night and it was delicious :D

Pizza1.jpeg

Pizza2.jpeg

Pizza3.jpeg

Pizza4.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

nomoedoe wrote: »
    Maybe a bit controversial for some but i made a Ham & Pineapple pizza last night and it was delicious :D

Pizza1.jpeg

Pizza2.jpeg

Pizza3.jpeg

Pizza4.jpeg

Nothing controversial about that. Fantastic combo. Looks great too. Whats the dough recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

nomoedoe wrote: »

Looks amazing, what pizza oven did you use? I'll be trying the same in an Ooni Koda 12 shortly!!

Any tips :D

The Nal wrote: »
    Nothing controversial about that. Fantastic combo. Looks great too. Whats the dough recipe?

Just flour ,sea salt,yeast and water with a 42hr bulk proof and 6hr balled room temp proof ,the dough was 60% hydration so it had a nice crispy base.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Looks amazing, what pizza oven did you use? I'll be trying the same in an Ooni Koda 12 shortly!!

Any tips :D

I used a Alfresco chef wood fired oven only got it in January so still getting the hang of it but I was well proud of that pizza last night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

First time trying a pizza, roughly what size dough balls should I use in g?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

MacDanger wrote: »
    First time trying a pizza, roughly what size dough balls should I use in g?

I find 260g each is good with a 24 hour proof. Download the ooni app for the dough calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Lads/ ladies, I'm getting rid of an old gas barbecue, if the top lid and grill was removed and replaced with wood it would make a fine Ooni pizza table.
    I was going to do it, but have been told that I will be using a folding table instead.
    I put it up at 40 on Adverts but will be free to anyone on here. There is a rack underneath for storing a gas bottle, and the shelves on the side fold down.
    I'm in North Kildare if anyone wants it, I'll put it in the skip on Sunday evening if no-one wants it.
    I'll stick the link up shortly, but it's on Adverts if someone is browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Anyone notice their koda 16 doesn't completely discharge the gas cannister?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    I threw together a quick overview of the work below, with photos etc. I realised when typing it up that my woodwork terminology was shocking, so feel free to ask if you want any clarification on anything! I wish I took more pics as I was working through it now in hindsight, they would have been useful.

https://www.instructables.com/Pizza-Table/

Great job:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Just after getting a 12" Koda for my birthday off the missus..absolutely delighted

Have some mutti aromatica pizza sauce and cork buffalo mozzarella to try on some pre made bases later on, probably make a balls of it but sure look!

Tried Tesco and super valu in Finglas for some caputo 0.0 flour but couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Just after getting a 12" Koda for my birthday off the missus..absolutely delighted

Have some mutti aromatica pizza sauce and cork buffalo mozzarella to try on some pre made bases later on, probably make a balls of it but sure look!

Tried Tesco and super valu in Finglas for some caputo 0.0 flour but couldn't find it.

Surprised that huge Tesco in Finglas didnt have it. This place in Smithfield is great for all kinds of imported Italian food, they have San Marzano tomatoes there too which are great for making pizza sauce. Theyve a cheese counter in the store too and all kinds of pepperoni, salami, proschuitto, etc for topping pizzas https://littleitalyltd.com/

With the mozzeralla its a good idea to slice it thinly in advance and push it between paper towels for 10 minutes to get some of the moisture out. It helps avoid the pizza being soggy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Avoca shop in Dunboyne has Caputo 00 flour red & blue.
    Couldn't find any 00 flour in any supermarkets near me before seeing it in Avoca last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

The pre-made pizza bases are a good lesson how to launch and cook them to be honest. It helps get a feel for the oven. Enjoy. :D

Right well slight bump in the road... Wrong regulator on it, has the US one, not sure we'll be able to exchange for the IE one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Right well slight bump in the road... Wrong regulator on it, has the US one, not sure we'll be able to exchange for the IE one

Don’t think the 37mBar ones are in stock for a while now. But it burns wood- so get some hardwood kindling and light her up!

Don’t think the 37mBar ones are in stock for a while now. But it burns wood- so get some hardwood kindling and light her up!

Says they are shipping late May, think we'll have to return this one and order the correct 37mBar version.

The koda doesn't burn wood does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Says they are shipping late May, think we'll have to return this one and order the correct 37mBar version.

Sorry was thinking of the Karu sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The 12” koda with the 37 mbar was in stock up until I ordered on Wednesday, shipped on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Looking at getting the karu.where is best place to buy from? Was on ooni.com and list price is 349, would there be local stockists at this price???

• Advertisement

Got an ooni karu and a load of hardwood logs.

These are way too big. Any tips for what tools to use to cut these into the correct shape for the oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

ronoc wrote: »

These are way too big. Any tips for what tools to use to cut these into the correct shape for the oven?

I'm sure a hatchet would do the trick. You might get lucky in the lidl or aldi middle aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah you need an axe to chop it up, sounds like you've hardwood for burning in log stoves which is way too big to fit in the Karu.

If you dont want to buy an axe you can buy smaller chunks of hardwood thats for pizza ovens from some of the BBQ places, just make sure it fits without needing to be chopped
    https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/bbq-fuel-charcoal-lumpwood/products/kiln-dried-ash-logs-for-pizza-ovens-12kg

I think some people mainly use charcoal to get the oven up to temperature and then just a bit of hardwood onto the fire a minute before launching the pizza for the extra heat and smoke. If you did it that way you wouldnt need all that much wood

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not sure if this is allowed in here but I had extra dough from the weekend and did some Roman style pan pizza (from the weekend's leftovers) for lunch in the standard oven. A very different experience but I just didn't feel like firing up the Ooni.

Inspiration came from the one and only Vito.

https://youtu.be/ckycuQsCRFI

RonnieL wrote: »
    I'm sure a hatchet would do the trick. You might get lucky in the lidl or aldi middle aisle.

Splitting them down the grain works ok but I also need to chop against the grain to shorten them which is proving difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Splitting them down the grain works ok but I also need to chop against the grain to shorten them which is proving difficult!

Ah, maybe keep those logs for the fireplace, and pick up some hardwood kindling if you can? I don't have an oven that takes wood, but I'd say a combo of the charcoal and hardwood kindling might work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

If anyone is looking for Caputo flour in Wexford , I was onto James in Sheehan’s Cash and Carry(across from Woodies beside the roundabout ) and he is after getting a pallet of it in. You don’t need a business account to get it as it’s for personal use. It’s €23.50 for a 25kg bag. I’ve just picked a bag up myself so thought I would let people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Well, what tools have you got? :)

As others said, split them down the grain with a hatchet, or maybe use a wood grenade first.

Cut across the grain with a saw. Or, if you got them down small enough, use secateurs or loppers. Perhaps a hammer (or mallet) and chisel to chop them. or that hatchet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Got the Ooni Koda 12 as a surprise present two weeks ago. Not on Instagram so was completely unaware of the Ooni pizza craze :pac:

14 days of intense YouTubing later, and back from the dough rabbit hole, my peel finally arrived and I took her for her maiden voyage.

I got some supplies in Little Italy in Smithfield in Dublin, highly recommend their tinned pizza sauce, and salami from the deli counter. Got the tip to go there from this thread. (Their wine isn't bad either!).

Also from this thread, I got my propane from Nolan's in Clontarf, great shop, and they had the smaller 6kg propane cylinders I was looking for.

I got the perfect wooden table for the Ooni from Not Ikea (JYSK) but it seems to be gone of the website now. I actually drove to Navan to pick it up!! Actual Ikea have one similar, just the size for the Ooni, and folds away when not in use.

Also from this thread, I got the tip for The Food Center in Lucan. They do 4 frozen dough balls for 4 euro. Can't recommend them enough. 7 hours at room temperature in an airtight container, they proved, doubled in size, and onto the Onni with them. De-lish!!!

553485.jpg

553486.jpg

553487.jpg

I got the Onni Pizza stone up to 450 degrees C (checked with an infrared thermometer of course!) after an 18 minute preheat. I had turned the flame down to half before putting the pizza in, but I still burnt the crust a bit. Will use a lower flame the next time.

Still, I was very surprised how nice the pizza was. It was possibly one of the nicest pizzas I've ever had! And I've eaten pizza weekly for about two decades across several continents :p

Recipe was The Food Center pizza balls, Little Italy Pizza sauce, M&S 'cooking mozzarella', Little Italy Salami, and a bit of grated parmesan after cooking. Realy really very tasty pizza. Will go for round to on Thursday and report back!

Soon to be much bigger Al :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭joficeduns1

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Got the Ooni Koda 12 as a surprise present two weeks ago. Not on Instagram so was completely unaware of the Ooni pizza craze :pac:

14 days of intense YouTubing later, and back from the dough rabbit hole, my peel finally arrived and I took her for her maiden voyage.

I got some supplies in Little Italy in Smithfield in Dublin, highly recommend their tinned pizza sauce, and salami from the deli counter. Got the tip to go there from this thread. (Their wine isn't bad either!).

Also from this thread, I got my propane from Nolan's in Clontarf, great shop, and they had the smaller 6kg propane cylinders I was looking for.

I got the perfect wooden table for the Ooni from Not Ikea (JYSK) but it seems to be gone of the website now. I actually drove to Navan to pick it up!! Actual Ikea have one similar, just the size for the Ooni, and folds away when not in use.

Also from this thread, I got the tip for The Food Center in Lucan. They do 4 frozen dough balls for 4 euro. Can't recommend them enough. 7 hours at room temperature in an airtight container, they proved, doubled in size, and onto the Onni with them. De-lish!!!

553485.jpg

553486.jpg

553487.jpg

I got the Onni Pizza stone up to 450 degrees C (checked with an infrared thermometer of course!) after an 18 minute preheat. I had turned the flame down to half before putting the pizza in, but I still burnt the crust a bit. Will use a lower flame the next time.

Still, I was very surprised how nice the pizza was. It was possibly one of the nicest pizzas I've ever had! And I've eaten pizza weekly for about two decades across several continents :p

Recipe was The Food Center pizza balls, Little Italy Pizza sauce, M&S 'cooking mozzarella', Little Italy Salami, and a bit of grated parmesan after cooking. Realy really very tasty pizza. Will go for round to on Thursday and report back!

Soon to be much bigger Al :D

Looking for that kind of table, when did you get one from Navan?

Advertisement