Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

I was just about to order an IR thermometer when my wife reminded me that we have one for checking the kids temperature. I'm not sure what the range on it is but it does have a "surface temperature" setting.

https://www.pharmacyanseo.ie/product/medicare-non-contact-infrared-thermometer/

Anyone know if it would work for a pizza oven? Might try it on the kitchen oven this evening.

tangy wrote: »
    Well, what tools have you got? :)

As others said, split them down the grain with a hatchet, or maybe use a wood grenade first.

Cut across the grain with a saw. Or, if you got them down small enough, use secateurs or loppers. Perhaps a hammer (or mallet) and chisel to chop them. or that hatchet again.

Have a small hatchet.
    Happy to report a beer and a bit of preserverance paid off. Made short work of the logs once I got the technique right. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I guess we all have the modernist cuisine's newest offering on our Xmas wish lists? (I have their "at home", and it's great (and beautiful), but not sure I can justify 7.5kg of pizza cookbooks)

https://twitter.com/ModCuisine/status/1395046151842189319

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Tree wrote: »
    I guess we all have the modernist cuisine's newest offering on our Xmas wish lists? (I have their "at home", and it's great (and beautiful), but not sure I can justify 7.5kg of pizza cookbooks)

https://twitter.com/ModCuisine/status/1395046151842189319
    $425 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Anywhere in cork city one can get their hands on pizza flour or suitable good quality flour for bases ?
    Or indeed any other ingredients

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

budgemook wrote: »
    I was just about to order an IR thermometer when my wife reminded me that we have one for checking the kids temperature. I'm not sure what the range on it is but it does have a "surface temperature" setting.

https://www.pharmacyanseo.ie/product/medicare-non-contact-infrared-thermometer/

Anyone know if it would work for a pizza oven? Might try it on the kitchen oven this evening.

Nope, they operate at way way lower tempratures and you need to be close enough that youd burn the device and your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

Yes.

Not a good idea to use those.
    Also not a good idea to get too close to the oven or else your thermometer will melt.

553627.jpg

I tried it on a pot of soup there and it just said "HI" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

Did you say " 'Lo" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Did Skynet design this?

it begins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 alkelly

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Got the Ooni Koda 12 as a surprise present two weeks ago. Not on Instagram so was completely unaware of the Ooni pizza craze :pac:

14 days of intense YouTubing later, and back from the dough rabbit hole, my peel finally arrived and I took her for her maiden voyage.

I got some supplies in Little Italy in Smithfield in Dublin, highly recommend their tinned pizza sauce, and salami from the deli counter. Got the tip to go there from this thread. (Their wine isn't bad either!).

Also from this thread, I got my propane from Nolan's in Clontarf, great shop, and they had the smaller 6kg propane cylinders I was looking for.

I got the perfect wooden table for the Ooni from Not Ikea (JYSK) but it seems to be gone of the website now. I actually drove to Navan to pick it up!! Actual Ikea have one similar, just the size for the Ooni, and folds away when not in use.

Also from this thread, I got the tip for The Food Center in Lucan. They do 4 frozen dough balls for 4 euro. Can't recommend them enough. 7 hours at room temperature in an airtight container, they proved, doubled in size, and onto the Onni with them. De-lish!!!

553485.jpg

553486.jpg

553487.jpg

I got the Onni Pizza stone up to 450 degrees C (checked with an infrared thermometer of course!) after an 18 minute preheat. I had turned the flame down to half before putting the pizza in, but I still burnt the crust a bit. Will use a lower flame the next time.

Still, I was very surprised how nice the pizza was. It was possibly one of the nicest pizzas I've ever had! And I've eaten pizza weekly for about two decades across several continents :p

Recipe was The Food Center pizza balls, Little Italy Pizza sauce, M&S 'cooking mozzarella', Little Italy Salami, and a bit of grated parmesan after cooking. Realy really very tasty pizza. Will go for round to on Thursday and report back!

Soon to be much bigger Al :D

Great info. Is that a DM house by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

donnacha wrote: »
    Anyone notice their koda 16 doesn't completely discharge the gas cannister?

Bumping this as I wanted to see is it an issue with my koda 16 or if anyone else had noticed?

I'm using 11kg bottles, they work fine with Koda 16 but at the point where the Koda isn't lighting anymore and connecting a new 11kg bottle I have found when I connect the old 'empty' bottle to the gas bbq after there is still a bit of life in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sounds strange, could it be something to do with different gas pressures for the Koda v the BBQ?

Out of interest would you have an estimate of how many pizza oven cooks you got out of the 11kg bottle and about how long were they on average

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sounds strange, could it be something to do with different gas pressures for the Koda v the BBQ?

Out of interest would you have an estimate of how many pizza oven cooks you got out of the 11kg bottle and about how long were they on average

Yep, i'm thinking its something to do with the different pressure - kills me to think I've got gas left in the bottle when returning for a refill.

Haven't been recording how many cooks I get out of it, might start tracking that next time I get a new bottle. Have has it since Oct and I'm on my 3rd bottle. It is used 2 days a week cooking 4-5 pizzas at a time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Where are people buying/refilling their gas bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

What mozzarella do you use? Been using mozzarella balls from super valu, I drain them and cut them thinly and then wrap them in kitchen roll and leave them that way for an hour or two. Tried one from SuperValu at wkend that had like a hard shell and a watery inside and wasnt great, can't remember the name but was the dearest one but definitely not worth it. Just wondering what others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sidford wrote: »
    What mozzarella do you use? Been using mozzarella balls from super valu, I drain them and cut them thinly and then wrap them in kitchen roll and leave them that way for an hour or two. Tried one from SuperValu at wkend that had like a hard shell and a watery inside and wasnt great, can't remember the name but was the dearest one but definitely not worth it. Just wondering what others do.

That sounds like it may have been burrata rather than mozzarella.

I think most people here slice and dry their mozzarella in kitchen paper as you do. I think a few use specific pizza mozzarella, which is dryer and more compact than the fresh stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Dial Hard wrote: »

I think most people here slice and dry their mozzarella in kitchen paper as you do. I think a few use specific pizza mozzarella, which is dryer and more compact than the fresh stuff.

I go overnight in the fridge in a colander over a bowl ... if I remember!

Does anyone know how long it takes for the courier to deliver pizza ovens bought from Ooni's website? Bought on 6th, handed over to courier on 8th, left parcel center in Utrecht on 12th and no updates since.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dial Hard wrote: »

Fresh for me mainly, in a sieve over the side sink for an hour or so.

I've tried the small pizza mozzarella block from Tesco and it's not bad, the small block goes a long way when cubed up. Gives the pizza a much more cheesy texture if you're looking for that. (It's very small and won't jump out at you in the cheese section if anyone is interested in trying)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

How do you find the aldi grated mozzarella to use??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Does anyone know how long it takes for the courier to deliver pizza ovens bought from Ooni's website? Bought on 6th, handed over to courier on 8th, left parcel center in Utrecht on 12th and no updates since.

If it's GLS, the tracking system is worse than useless. I ordered some stuff from Ooni a few weeks back and at one point it said it left a depot in France and 2 days later it said it arrived back a the same depot. It didn't update any further and was delivered a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I ordered on the 6th of May also and received yesterday. Was saying even till yesterday morning that it still was in Lille. Take those updates with a pinch of salt.hope this helps.

Thanks, yeah it's GLS alright. I'm going away tomorrow morning for a few days so it's guaranteed to arrive shortly after I leave!

The shipping weight says 20kg, is that accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

rje66 wrote: »
    How do you find the aldi grated mozzarella to use??

Pre grated cheeses have a coating (starch?) to stop it sticking together in the bag, which burns in a hot pizza oven. I do use it for garlic pizza bread, but dicing and draining fresh mozzarella is a better approach for pizza in my opinion. Certainly more authentic (if that's what you're after!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

adrian522 wrote: »
    Where are people buying/refilling their gas bottles?

My local garage has them, a few of the larger garden centres do them too.
    Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Thanks, yeah it's GLS alright. I'm going away tomorrow morning for a few days so it's guaranteed to arrive shortly after I leave!

Depends on the oven I guess. They range from 9-18kg. You can compare them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

It said 8.7kg on my paperwork but the box was 18.8kg..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Mulk wrote: »
    My local garage has them, a few of the larger garden centres do them too.
    Where are you located?

I'm near KCR, the petrol station there stocks them in general but don't have any right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm near KCR, the petrol station there stocks them in general but don't have any right now.

https://www.calorgas.ie/retailers?search=Kimmage,%20Dublin,%20Ireland&dealerType=Cylinder

Not sure how accurate that site is now, but it has Smiths and Homevalue hardware as suppliers.

The Maxol in Templeogue Village is usually good for stuff like that too.

Advertisement