Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm near KCR, the petrol station there stocks them in general but don't have any right now.

Paint Pot in Templeogue have them

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

I'd like to ask a few questions on dough recipes.
    I recently got my new koda 12 and I'm keen to get going.

Are the calculators and recipes on the ooni app any good?

I've looked at the cold proving recipes and will definitely give it a go. I bought Caputo flours and yeast and bits and bobs.

I'm looking for a quicker prove recipe do I can try out the oven and see how I can get used to it. Any tips?

I bought some 'neopolitan pizza flour ' in SuperValu today but not sure if I can use that for a quicker dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭joficeduns1

batman1 wrote: »

I've looked at the cold proving recipes and will definitely give it a go. I bought Caputo flours and yeast and bits and bobs.

I'm looking for a quicker prove recipe do I can try out the oven and see how I can get used to it. Any tips?

I bought some 'neopolitan pizza flour ' in SuperValu today but not sure if I can use that for a quicker dough.

It's not exactly something you can rush, but a same day dough is definitely possible. I go off Kenji Lopez's videos on YouTube, he has Neapolitan and new York style pizzas done in an Ooni/Gozney.

If you're looking for an immediate dough you can buy frozen sourdough doughballs from SimplyBake, I think SuperValu do them. Otherwise you're looking at a 5-8 hour bulk rise, and then 1.5-2 hour bench rest before shaping and cooking. YMMV based on ambient temperatures and the level of yeast you put in.

batman1 wrote: »

Start with the Ooni classic dough. It is quite an easy dough to work with and shape.

I've used bread flour instead of 00 and it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

ronoc wrote: »
    Start with the Ooni classic dough. It is quite an easy dough to work with and shape.

I've used bread flour instead of 00 and it works well.

I'd second this. Also - I find the easiest thing is to make the dough a day or two beforehand and stick it in the fridge for a longer prove.

Then just take it out on the day you need it and give it enough time to come up to room temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got some blue Caputo flour and San marzano tomato's in SuperValu Pavillion yesterday, the flours on special for 1.50 a bag too.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Does anyone use the Karu? I'm considering the multi-fuel because I can't decide whether to get a gas or wood-fired.

Lads....

The wife has told me I can get a pizza oven.

Not the hugest of budgets (probably 300 squids)

What do I get and where do I get it from?

I'm sorry, I know it's probably been mentioned a billion times but I want to order it before she changes her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Lads....

I'm sorry, I know it's probably been mentioned a billion times but I want to order it before she changes her mind.

These are around your budget.
    https://eu.ooni.com/products/ooni-fyra
    https://eu.ooni.com/collections/ovens/products/ooni-karu
    I know Ooni is one of the best so others can guide you on which one depending on your preference of fuel.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Does anyone use the Karu? I'm considering the multi-fuel because I can't decide whether to get a gas or wood-fired.

I have one and love it. I've used wood and charcoal and I have the gas attachment too. All produce killer pizza. It's a great piece of kit. Get yourself a laser thermometer and off you pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Lads....

Almost everyone here has an ooni. I had one but upgraded to a roccbox and find it is better, if your budget allows. They will both cook a great pizza

I have one and love it. I've used wood and charcoal and I have the gas attachment too. All produce killer pizza. It's a great piece of kit. Get yourself a laser thermometer and off you pop.

Thanks. I’m thinking about getting it without the gas attachment . If I find the wood/charcoal a pain, I can get the attachment later.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Thanks. I’m thinking about getting it without the gas attachment . If I find the wood/charcoal a pain, I can get the attachment later.

I love my Karu but I would say if you have the budget, get the gas attachment too, I'm sorry I didn't. I use kiln dried logs and you generally have to saw a log in half and then split it into chunks which can be a pain at times. Would like to just be able to flick a switch on the gas attachment.

Bassfish wrote: »
    I love my Karu but I would say if you have the budget, get the gas attachment too, I'm sorry I didn't. I use kiln dried logs and you generally have to saw a log in half and then split it into chunks which can be a pain at times. Would like to just be able to flick a switch on the gas attachment.

Thanks. My plan is to buy the gas attachment later if I find the wood a pain. Gas would be much handier if I could use butane as I already have spare cylinders here. People say they use butane without issues but Ooni clearly say propane only.

Worth having a look at this thread - there may be some Ooni discount codes buried in there.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058135423

There's also some info about delivery times .

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Anyone have issues with GLS not updating past “data received”?

Ordered some accessories and no update on GLS for a week now to say they have collected the package…

New oven arrived today, absolutely delighted.

Will get stuff prepped for Sunday, might make some dough tonight and do a 48 hour proof. Ill have some frozen ones to try first though....

For 48 hour proof, I mix ingredients tonight and kneed once, cover and refridgerate.
    Couple of hours before serving, remove the dough and portion into balls, cover and leave at room temp until serving?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks. My plan is to buy the gas attachment later if I find the wood a pain. Gas would be much handier if I could use butane as I already have spare cylinders here. People say they use butane without issues but Ooni clearly say propane only.

You'll do fine with the wood but in my experience winter is when the gas attachment really comes in handy in that you just flick a switch and can go back indoors on a cold night for 20 minutes while the oven heats up. Whereas with wood you're tending to a fire and making sure it keeps going and topping it up as needed so it needs more attention than gas. You could use wood for the summer and then in winter Ooni should have a Black Friday sale with 20% off everything so the gas attachment will be reduced down to 55 euro then just at the time when it really comes in handy on colder nights.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

For 48 hour proof, I mix ingredients tonight and kneed once, cover and refridgerate.
    Couple of hours before serving, remove the dough and portion into balls, cover and leave at room temp until serving?

That's what I do. Just make sure they do get up to temp - they can be difficult to work with if they're a little cool.

FWIW - I regularly have leftover doughballs that have been out for hours - I just wrap them up in clingfilm (separately) and lob them in the fridge. They've been fine for me the following day - I do the same thing - take them out and let them come up to temp.

thejaguar wrote: »
    That's what I do. Just make sure they do get up to temp - they can be difficult to work with if they're a little cool.

FWIW - I regularly have leftover doughballs that have been out for hours - I just wrap them up in clingfilm (separately) and lob them in the fridge. They've been fine for me the following day - I do the same thing - take them out and let them come up to temp.

Happy days, thanks for that.

Gonna throw the ingredients in the stand mixer and let spin for ten minutes, then shape and into bowl for proofing. Let proof at room temp for a couple of hours, then lob into the fridge until Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Tried par baking the pizza bases yesterday and I'll definitely be doing it again if I'm making more than a couple.

Takes an awful lot of the stress out of getting them to the table at the same time and I didn't notice any real difference in the quality.

Lads going to pick up a bottle of gas. I have the grey bottle hooked up to the BBQ, but want to get a smaller bottle for the OONI. I know propane is preferred, will the below bottle do?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

PARlance wrote: »
    Tried par baking the pizza bases yesterday and I'll definitely be doing it again if I'm making more than a couple.

Takes an awful lot of the stress out of getting them to the table at the same time and I didn't notice any real difference in the quality.

Did you have to top the bases with some sauce for the par baking? Just thinking the very thin middle section would be dried out and over crispy if they go in without any sauce.

Lads going to pick up a bottle of gas. I have the grey bottle hooked up to the BBQ, but want to get a smaller bottle for the OONI. I know propane is preferred, will the below bottle do?

I don't have a propane cylinder myself but I presume they all have the same attachments? Also, is anyone using butane gas with the Ooni?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Redlim wrote: »
    Did you have to top the bases with some sauce for the par baking? Just thinking the very thin middle section would be dried out and over crispy if they go in without any sauce.

I did, a very light coating of sauce. Actually used a pastry brush to put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yes and no. It's the right gas, but the wrong connector. You need Patio Gas.

Had a very successful outing with the Ooni Karu today using Ooni's New York style dough recipe. It worked really well and I found it much easier to work with than Neopolitan style dough. I'm crap at strectching the dough beyond about six inches without losing the shape completely so I used the trick of stretching the dough over an upturned mixing bowl. It worked really well and the pizzas came out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Bassfish wrote: »
    Had a very successful outing with the Ooni Karu today using Ooni's New York style dough recipe. It worked really well and I found it much easier to work with than Neopolitan style dough. I'm crap at strectching the dough beyond about six inches without losing the shape completely so I used the trick of stretching the dough over an upturned mixing bowl. It worked really well and the pizzas came out great.

They look great.

New to all of this, what’s the method with the upturned mixing bowl?

They look great.

New to all of this, what’s the method with the upturned mixing bowl?

Stretch out the dough ball to about six or eight inches and lay the dough on the back of a bowl. Put a bit of flour on the bowl to stop it sticking and just keep working it around u til it's stretched out. I then just tip it over on to the peel and put the toppings on then. Works really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭nomoedoe

Great weekend for making pizzas here’s one of mine I made last night a bbq pulled pork with jalapeños and onion!

Pizza 1.jpg

Pizza 2.jpg

Pizza 3.jpg

Pizza 4.jpg

Advertisement