Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Bassfish wrote: »
    Had a very successful outing with the Ooni Karu today using Ooni's New York style dough recipe. It worked really well and I found it much easier to work with than Neopolitan style dough. I'm crap at strectching the dough beyond about six inches without losing the shape completely so I used the trick of stretching the dough over an upturned mixing bowl. It worked really well and the pizzas came out great.

Up the hydration to 70% - it makes the pizza much more pliable. I get mine almost translucent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Fired up the Koda yesterday for the first time.

First picture is the Golden Bake Frozen Sourdough, second one is my own 48hr Cold Proofed dough.
    Out of 6 pizzas I made a complete b*lls of one, not enough flour/semolina on the peel, turned into a calzone but was too messy so got binned...

Got the 6kg patio gas in Nolan's Clontarf, but they also have it in Finglas Fuel's on the Jamestown Road if thats nearer to some of you.
    Picked up a folding table in IKEA too, 40 quid and does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Chanced my arm at this yesterday, turned out very nice, using lots of flour i was able to make all the flatbreads at the same time so a quick enough turnaround.

PXL-20210530-152013301.jpg

PXL-20210530-151954059.jpg

PXL-20210530-153002035.jpg

PXL-20210530-153140023.jpg

PXL-20210530-153504170.jpg

PXL-20210530-155725457.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Redlim

12 inch/30cm pizza peel coming up in Lidl this Thursday

https://www.lidl.ie/p/summer-barbecue/pizza-peel/p12104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Redlim wrote: »
    12 inch/30cm pizza peel coming up in Lidl this Thursday

https://www.lidl.ie/p/summer-barbecue/pizza-peel/p12104

Thats a bargain at 9.99 especially as many of the handled pizza peels on Amazon are in the 20-30 euro range. Ive always thought they were overpriced on Amazon for what is basically a piece of cheap sheet metal and a short broomstick so good to see Lidl bring out one that is better value.

Be aware though it is 92cm long so it wont fit in a lot of kitchen drawers/presses. Though you could chop off a bit of the handle to shorten it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Redlim

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats a bargain at 9.99 especially as many of the handled pizza peels on Amazon are in the 20-30 euro range. Ive always thought they were overpriced on Amazon for what is basically a piece of cheap sheet metal and a short broomstick so good to see Lidl bring out one that is better value.

Agreed, and multiples cheaper than the Ooni equivalent also! Speaking of overpriced, the plastic trays for keeping 6-8 dough balls in seem ridiculously expensive everywhere - about €40 when you include the lid. Surely Lidl/Aldi will have something similar at some stage for a fraction of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

please dont shoot me for asking this ...

Has anyone recommendations for frozen dough balls that can be sourced in super markets or online.

I know its sacrilage but sometimes we just dont have the time

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

mitresize5 wrote: »

Has anyone recommendations for frozen dough balls that can be sourced in super markets or online.

Get Fresh in Ballyroan do a bag of 4 for 5 quid

https://get-fresh-fruit-and-vegetable-store.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

mitresize5 wrote: »

Golden Bake Sourdough, Tesco. 2 ball in a pack in the freezer aisle.

They do fine in a pinch or a rush! Still much better than a frozen pizza :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Springwell wrote: »
    Golden Bake Sourdough, Tesco. 2 ball in a pack in the freezer aisle.

They do fine in a pinch or a rush! Still much better than a frozen pizza :)

Gonna grab a few of those!! thanks for the tip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

The Food Center in Lucan do frozen ones. 4 for 4 euro and they are delicious!

Anyone know where you can get fresh dough in Dublin (ie not frozen)?

BigAl81 wrote: »

You could try give Uno Pizza a shout, they sell fresh dough in pizza kits online so might give you a dig out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Redlim wrote: »
    Agreed, and multiples cheaper than the Ooni equivalent also! Speaking of overpriced, the plastic trays for keeping 6-8 dough balls in seem ridiculously expensive everywhere - about €40 when you include the lid. Surely Lidl/Aldi will have something similar at some stage for a fraction of that.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to use as an alternative?

MacDanger wrote: »

A large tupperware type container will do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭joficeduns1

MacDanger wrote: »

I do final proof by dusting an oven baking tray with flour, balling up the dough and placing on it with a bit of extra flour on top before covering with cling film/tea towel. Would love a proofing box but the prices are insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

I do final proof by dusting an oven baking tray with flour, balling up the dough and placing on it with a bit of extra flour on top before covering with cling film/tea towel. Would love a proofing box but the prices are insane.

the catering companies do them at a reasonable price

https://www.gilmartins.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=411

you've to buy a lid separately.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Are the 6Kg gas cylinders available anywhere Southside does anyone know?

BigAl81 wrote: »

Toonsbridge Dairy on South Great Georges St do fresh pizza dough (as well as their own mozzeralla which is excellent). Ive only got their fresh dough to try out once, it was very nice tasting but could have been a bigger portion. It was difficult to stretch it out beyond about 10 inches

Had two of the lads up last night for a few pizzas and a few bottles, while we still had decent weather.

I had one piece of dough leftover from Sunday's cook, it was made on Friday so now 72hr fermented...

Hands down the best of the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Had two of the lads up last night for a few pizzas and a few bottles, while we still had decent weather.

I had one piece of dough leftover from Sunday's cook, it was made on Friday so now 72hr fermented...

Hands down the best of the night

Class looking, nice job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Have a wood burning Ooni on the way but just wondering where people buy the pellets?
    They seem to be sold out on the Ooni website. Amazon do sell them but they're pricy and they've limited options for shipping to Ireland.

Do any shops sell them (I'm in Dublin) or anyone have any other website recommendations?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

still not found good pepperoni ,anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Have a wood burning Ooni on the way but just wondering where people buy the pellets?
    They seem to be sold out on the Ooni website. Amazon do sell them but they're pricy and they've limited options for shipping to Ireland.

Do any shops sell them (I'm in Dublin) or anyone have any other website recommendations?

Thanks!

I researched this a few years ago when I bought mine, and there's some mixed opinions. However, the general consensus is that while the ooni pellets might be a bit better because they're made from hard woods, any wood pellets conforming to the european standard (referred to as "ENplus A1" I believe) will work just fine. You'll find them in a local fuel supplier for feck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Italicatessen is the best I've found - also available in Avoca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

If your near Smithfield, the meat counter in Little Italy is great. You can taste before you buy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

Thanks!

I spent €40 on fancy hardwood pellets when I first started cooking. I now use pellets from woodies. Cost €10 for a huge bag. The pizza is in the oven for only a minute. The type of pellets makes no difference to the taste or temp etc. It's all marketing BS..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Thanks!

I get them from A Room Outside in Limerick. Fast shipping and a good selection to choose from. I've bought them direct from Ooni too but you could be waiting a few weeks for them to arrive.

yeah the Staffords brand of wood pellets that Woodies sell are perfectly fine. They have no glue or binders in them so are grand for cooking pizza. A bag lasts ages as well, they are 15kgs for about 10/11 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Bassfish wrote: »
    Had a very successful outing with the Ooni Karu today using Ooni's New York style dough recipe. It worked really well and I found it much easier to work with than Neopolitan style dough. I'm crap at strectching the dough beyond about six inches without losing the shape completely so I used the trick of stretching the dough over an upturned mixing bowl. It worked really well and the pizzas came out great.

Bassfish - do you have the New York style recipe?

Does anyone have a good sourdough pizza recipe?

I got a Karu multifuel and used it this weekend, we love it!

Small pizzas to start with, til we get the hang of things. I think this weekend I'll try calzones and maybe chocolate doughballs too.

How do people clean off the pizza stone? I know they say that it cleans itself but we had a few mishaps with getting the pizzas onto the stone right at the weekend so there is sauce and cheese burned onto it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Keep an eye on Amazon for ‘pizza dough proving tray with lid’. They do occasionally come up. The ones without a lid are usually available all the time.

Advertisement