Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Hi,
    I've been planning on doing if for a while (DIY).
    There is a place in Athy that sells Kits.
    A friend of mine (a brickie) has build 3/4 and said they kit they offer is very good.
    looks like the pizza oven site is offline but here is the main site.

http://www.dineensales.com/PizzaOvens.aspx

I've attached the price list and the instructions they sent me.

I've seen this one alright, saw the €999 kit on their website, is fairly steep. I reckon it could be got for cheaper if you sourced the materials yourself?!

I've seen this one alright, saw the €999 kit on their website, is fairly steep. I reckon it could be got for cheaper if you sourced the materials yourself?!

My mate said that the ones he built were getting up around 5k with labour :eek: (he didnt use this kit btw).
    I think the kit is good value because it saves having to make the dome out of bricks (and the base),Im not in love with the finished article though.
    My local builders yard is 3e a fire brick,no idea how many youd need???
    you'd need to line the floor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

https://www.niclimbingframes.com/pizza-oven-120cm

I got this one delivered couple of months ago ,haven’t used it yet but hopefully will have frame done in a week or so , they do smaller ones for cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

RonTon wrote: »

I got this one delivered couple of months ago ,haven’t used it yet but hopefully will have frame done in a week or so , they do smaller ones for cheaper too

Jaysus at 610kgs you’d want to be damn sure of where you want it in the garden :D

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Jaysus at 610kgs you’d want to be damn sure of where you want it in the garden :D

It’s still sitting on a pallet that it came on , I’m getting frame made up at moment, will have rollers so it can be moved but I’d say not that often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ooni Fyra is out today - wonder will other prices drop?

Yet another model?! They really are knocking them out.

Seems the Fyra is an update on the Ooni 3 except it does not do gas, wood pellets only. Would guess the 3 would see a clearance price drop if they have stocks of it left.

Interesting.
    How does it look/feel quality wise?
    Would love to see some pics.

How are you going to lift it onto the stand ?
    You won't be able to get the lads around at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bit of a markup! Wonder how much to get it shipped from Portugal!
    https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/forno-de-po-a-lenha-80-cm-IDwHIpY.html#630eb85e25;promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yet another model?! They really are knocking them out.

Seems the Fyra is an update on the Ooni 3 except it does not do gas, wood pellets only. Would guess the 3 would see a clearance price drop if they have stocks of it left.

It was on offer already last couple of weeks. It's out of stock now with no option to pre-order. I'd say there's a good chance it won't be back. I was thinking of ordering last week debating whether to go for the Ooni 3 or the Karu. Like the versatility of the Karu and I could get the gas down the line. The pellets do look handy and clean though and I'd hope the Frya is an upgrade on the 3. Neither available now though except to pre order for late May shipping.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Bit of a markup! Wonder how much to get it shipped from Portugal!
    https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/forno-de-po-a-lenha-80-cm-IDwHIpY.html#630eb85e25;promoted

Mine is the bigger one ,120cm but I suppose the delivery of over 600kg would cost a bit

Interesting.
    How does it look/feel quality wise?
    Would love to see some pics.

How are you going to lift it onto the stand ?
    You won't be able to get the lads around at the moment !

It looks like it’s should work well , feels well built but I’ll really only know when I fire it up...
    I definitely post some pice when it’s setup ...
    To lift it will be fun , buddy has some lifting equipment so should be ok ,making a stainless frame with table either side, hopefully will look good and be practical to use .
    Over last few months been picking up different bits and pieces like paddles, griddle plates ,cast iron pots , infrared gun .

Can’t wait

It looks like it’s should work well , feels well built but I’ll really only know when I fire it up...
    I definitely post some pice when it’s setup ...
    To lift it will be fun , buddy has some lifting equipment so should be ok ,making a stainless frame with table either side, hopefully will look good and be practical to use .
    Over last few months been picking up different bits and pieces like paddles, griddle plates ,cast iron pots , infrared gun .

Can’t wait

Sounds good! I wish I had the patience and self control to pick things up over a few months and built up to the end product... I usually just impulse buy my way into expensive ornaments.

Hopefully the Koda will work out nicely, I’m very excited for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Ye talked me into it... just bought the Koda :D

slight delays due to COVID but a week or two will give me extra time to work on my doughs :D

EDIT: If you sign up to their mailing list, you get a 5% discount code which seems to work with any item. Just make sure you are on the EU store, as I accidentally got a code for the US site first :)

Thanks for this. Stumbled across this thread randomly, now I've just bought a pizza oven!

5% discount worked fine for me. Excited about my new purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Was very close to pushing the purchase button on this last night too. Few things are putting me off:
    - are you still getting that "authentic" taste when using gas instead of wood?
    - why propane? Does it burn hotter??? We already use ordinary gas for our kitchen cooker and I'd rather not have another tank taking up space.
    -the accessories eg: the peel. Do I need these? Realistically am I gonna be cooking chicken legs on the griddle pan? How many of you have used it for anything other than pizza?
    - most importantly can I just buy dough somewhere handy?

heldel00 wrote: »
    Was very close to pushing the purchase button on this last night too. Few things are putting me off:
    - why propane? Does it burn hotter??? We already use ordinary gas for our kitchen cooker and I'd rather not have another tank taking up space.
    -the accessories eg: the peel. Do I need these? Realistically am I gonna be cooking chicken legs on the griddle pan? How many of you have used it for anything other than pizza?

If it was in stock I'd probably bite the bullet myself! Pre order is making me hesitant. Think I should just pick one and order.

Propane burns hotter.
    You'll need a peel it's the only way you'll get a pizza in or out of the oven. There's cheaper ones on amazon.

Can't say about taste I prefer the idea of the pellets or charcoal/wood my self.

You can buy frozen dough.
    https://collect.pallasfoods.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pizza%20dough

It's not that hard make though if you have a stand mixer, even without it's only 10 minutes work kneading. There is no knead recipes if you don't like getting flour all over your counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never made a loaf of bread that I've been happy with but I've regularly made pizza dough with great success.
    For me, the secret is a slow, cold fermentation, in the fridge. I like to leave it develop for at least 2 days.

I understand the concerns alright, here are my two cents:

1. Personally I don’t think there is enough of a difference with wood fired pizzas to justify the inconvenience. You might be able to get a slightly smokier taste from a pizza but I think in a home setting it would be minimal, char will influence the flavour either way. Gas is much “handier” because it’s clean and can be turned on and off easily. A lot of commercial kitchens will use gas fired ovens for convenience also, a commercial size wood fired pizza oven takes up a lot of space

2. Scientifically there is only a small difference between propane and butane, both of which are often used for BBQs. Realistically in Ireland, the difference is Butane boils at about -2, meaning below that you might find it harder to use it because it won’t turn to gas. Propane has a lower boiling point so is better for colder climates. There may be a difference in the burner shape that I’m not aware of, but I couldn’t get a straight answer from Ooni on it. Both burn at a very similar temperature, propane flame is about 10 degrees hotter, but negligible overall. Both are different from natural gas (methane) but you wouldn’t be using that anyways

3.you don’t need their accessories, they are quite expensive. Amazon or kitchen supply shops like Nisbets have cheaper peels and things. I plan on using it for meat and veg, but I have a cast iron pan already

4. I’m not sure about getting dough handy. Possibly if you had a local pizzeria they may be willing to sell it to you, but chain stores like dominoes etc it’s unlikely I would think. I do know you can get dough recipes that can be done in about an hour to about a week depending on the type of fermentation. Realistically you want to plan about a day or two in advance to make a nice dough and cold ferment it

Personally I want it because I really like experimenting with pizza and doughs, and so I think the 500 degrees will be much better for cooking them. Convenience is the biggest factor for me. Yeah, buying a cylinder of gas is a pain but so long as it’s not got a slow leak it should last quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We don't have a pizza oven - yet!

But we make pizza regularly enough. Dough is very simple. I currently use a recipe from pizzadough101.com and very happy with it. The one I use gives instructions for both manual and mixer, and also proving instructions. The one I use can be proved either warm in a couple of hours or cold over a few days.

A warm prove can be very handy if you don't have space in the fridge and also for the last minute, let's have pizza for dinner days

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I recently pulled the trigger on the Ooni Koda (Amazon) after following this thread for a while.

I already had a pizza peel and a cast iron skillet so no need for the extras. I went with the gas as it’s a straight swap over from the existing tank on my gas BBQ.
    I’m delighted with it so far. I’ve been blending more and more veg into the sauce in an effort to hoodwink the kids into eating more healthily.

I’ve been using some small enamel trays for cooking the likes of asparagus and green beans done with garlic and salt with some rapeseed oil - they char up lovely. I’ve also been using a cast iron skillet for meats like lamp and beef steaks which cooks them perfectly.

Overall it’s been a great buy - I’ll be rolled out of the Covid crisis with a pizza belly 😀.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    If it was in stock I'd probably bite the bullet myself! Pre order is making me hesitant. Think I should just pick one and order.

Propane burns hotter.
    You'll need a peel it's the only way you'll get a pizza in or out of the oven. There's cheaper ones on amazon.

Can't say about taste I prefer the idea of the pellets or charcoal/wood my self.

You can buy frozen dough.
    https://collect.pallasfoods.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pizza%20dough

It's not that hard make though if you have a stand mixer, even without it's only 10 minutes work kneading. There is no knead recipes if you don't like getting flour all over your counter!
    scarepanda wrote: »
    We don't have a pizza oven - yet!

But we make pizza regularly enough. Dough is very simple. I currently use a recipe from pizzadough101.com and very happy with it. The one I use gives instructions for both manual and mixer, and also proving instructions. The one I use can be proved either warm in a couple of hours or cold over a few days.

A warm prove can be very handy if you don't have space in the fridge and also for the last minute, let's have pizza for dinner days

For what it’s worth, I see on the website they have a 60 day buyback guarantee. You have to have the oven at least 28 days and tried to make pizza 5 times

Here is the text:

So - if you buy an Ooni pizza oven and you can’t make great pizza you have 60 days to return it for free. Ooni + you = great pizza or we will buy it back.

The few rules we ask you play by to be fair! The Ooni Great Pizza Guarantee is subject to the following terms and conditions. We refer to your oven as “your Ooni”.

Read the Essentials Guides and follow our really simple instructions for getting the best out of your Ooni. These are really straightforward - we aren’t talking about NASA Engineering or Michelin chef level complexity - these are simple, straightforward honest tips about
    1) how to make dough with just 4 ingredients
    2) how to stretch the pizza out and top it
    3) how and when to launch the pizza and
    4) maintaining a fire / temperature in your Ooni

In order to claim under this guarantee you must:
    notify us within 60 days from the date of delivery
    have had the oven for at least 28 days, and
    Had at least 5 attempts to cook GREAT pizza.
    Give our world class Ooni Experience Team the chance to give you some tips if you are still struggling having tried our standard advice.
    This guarantee only applies to purchases made through ooni.com.
    In order to claim under this guarantee you will need to contact us via Ooni Experience Support! and provide your order number and delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

domcq wrote:
    I already had a pizza peel and a cast iron skillet so no need for the extras. I went with the gas as it’s a straight swap over from the existing tank on my gas BBQ. I’m delighted with it so far. I’ve been blending more and more veg into the sauce in an effort to hoodwink the kids into eating more healthily.

I have gas for my BBQ. It's the Calor Patio Gas. Grey cannister. Says Propane on the side.

Is this the same gas? Hopefully so, as I can then just swap same canister between BBQ and pizza oven.

Feckers have increased price back up to 279 even though it still states that the product shows slight damage. I emailed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Feckers have increased price back up to 279 even though it still states that the product shows slight damage. I emailed them.

That's unlucky, because I got one for 249 last night. Definitely worth seeing if they'll do anything for you.

I'll be interested to see how the Koda compares to the Ooni 2. I've had use of one for a while that a friend lent me, and while we haven't used it much the results have been excellent. The main reason it hasn't been used a lot is that getting the wood pellets up to full cooking temperature and then maintaining it for more than one pizza is a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, so having the instant heat of gas should mean we use it a lot more.

We use Dan Lepard's recipe for the pizza dough and it gives absolutely brilliant results every time. His recipe uses fast-action yeast, but we tried time-saver yeast for the first time last week because it was all we could get our hands on, and the results were incredible. It was possibly the best dough we've ever made, and it was ready in a less than an hour. Even with the fast-action yeast it only takes a couple of hours so you don't need to decide a couple of days in advance if you want to make pizza. There's also beer in the recipe, but you won't use it all so there's a little bonus drink for the chef while waiting for the dough to prove. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 villamar

Bought koda as well. looking forward to delivery & hope gas suppliers open in two weeks. Would be great if anyone has tips/recipes/supplies etc for Onni Koda and could upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've used it for other flat breads like naan and tafoon, both do really well in the Ooni and cook in seconds. Tandoori chicken is another dish that benefits from very high temperatures and the pizza oven can get that black char on it that you would see from an Indian restaurant. They're also good to supplement a main BBQ, you can do steaks, burgers, sausages on that and then roast veggies and breads in the pizza oven

On recipes- have found this site to be a good resource in the past for the various styles of pizza, New York, Chicago, Sicilian, Neapolitian, etc
    https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
    Theres recipes in there for Dominoes and Papa John clones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

10% shows up when you add to card

Alkers wrote: »
    10% shows up when you add to card

Yeah but they were advertised at 239 the other evening.

• Advertisement

Yeah but they were advertised at 239 the other evening.

You get the extra 5 percent when you use the discount code by subscribing? Is that it?

Advertisement