Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda able to look up UK licences?

• 13-06-2016 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

This is Re: the threads I've read regarding UK licenses in Ireland on this board.

One thing I can't seem to be able to answer is:

Are Garda able to look up the details of a UK license during a stop in Ireland?

I assume they can for Irish licenses...

Thanks for any answers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Damien360

Sputnikk23 wrote: »
    This is Re: the threads I've read regarding UK licenses in Ireland on this board.

One thing I can't seem to be able to answer is:

Are Garda able to look up the details of a UK license during a stop in Ireland?

I assume they can for Irish licenses...

Thanks for any answers

I can't imagine it would take anything more than a phone call but it would be pointless as they cannot add points to it. Can they legally give uk information such as registration details in a court of law without complaint from solicitor ? Probably not. If the offence is big enough, such as serious injury or dearth, then it is worth their while and you can be sure it would be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sputnikk23

I'm just thinking of traffic offences. I assume they would take the registration details of the license to verify its validity before letting you drive away?

Do they send the fine to the address registered to the vehicle or the address registered to the license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I'm just thinking of traffic offences. I assume they would take the registration details of the license to verify its validity before letting you drive away?

Do they send the fine to the address registered to the vehicle or the address registered to the license?

From my experience they send the FCN to the address on the (GB) license for a traffic stop.

How then do foreign EU nationals residing in Ireland and driving on foreign licenses pay their fines? Since they may not have access to the address on their card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

How then do foreign EU nationals residing in Ireland and driving on foreign licenses pay their fines? Since they may not have access to the address on their card...

Dunno. The cop who stopped me made a point of saying that the FCN letters - and eventual summons if I didn't pay - would only ever be sent to the address given. I don't know if you can deal with the processing office in some way or whether you have to leave it go to court.

My GB licence is registered to my UK address so I just paid the €80 when it arrived and 3 points were applied to my IE driving record against that address. I believe it is an offence in GB to have an out-of-date address on your driving licence, but I don't think it invalidates it as such.

• Advertisement

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I drove a GB registered car in Ireland for the first year I lived in the country.

I got checked about 10 times by the guards (Sometimes the same officer) but they just let me go when they heard my accent. One time someone stole my number plates and they held me at Blanchardstown garda station for an hour while they checked with UK and then gave me a note to let me drive legally without number plates for 3 days until I could drive to the North to get some new ones made up!

Advertisement