Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatbar really lightweight commuter bike recommendations

Options
  • 13-06-2016 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Thinking of upgrading my commuter bike and looking for recommendations or experience in this regard:

Would like:
    - flat bar, as a bit more of a view over traffic compared to drop bars
    - capable of taking mudguards
    - something much lighter i.e. <9.5kg (have to lift bike daily up series of stairs at train stations, so this would be very important
    - Disc brakes would be nice (especially for the winter), though not essential
    - do not want carbon frame (apart from front fork) - I have a full carbon ultegra roadbike for weekends so want something I'm not afraid to cycle in city traffic
    - budget Euro 1000 - 1500

Looking for suggestions or your own experiences....

What I have seen so far:

- Web search have led me to the following but can't test ride it or see it in the flesh as its online only: Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0 , so anyone have one of these I'd be interested to hear feedback

- Giant Rapid 0, 1 are pretty light (not exactly how light but I'll bring scales to the bike shop next time).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Flat bar is not that important in city traffic. Have you tried the roadbike?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 struggling1

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Flat bar is not that important in city traffic. Have you tried the roadbike?

Yes I've tried the roadbike when my current commuter mtb is out of action. Apart from punctures on cycle lanes full of debris or glass... It's quick and narrow, which is easier to filter through traffic, but i have a fear of a dropbar getting stuck in an artic trailer and getting dragged along. Plus flatbar gives better steering leverage.

I guess its personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes I've tried the roadbike when my current commuter mtb is out of action. Apart from punctures on cycle lanes full of debris or glass... It's quick and narrow, which is easier to filter through traffic, but i have a fear of a dropbar getting stuck in an artic trailer and getting dragged along. Plus flatbar gives better steering leverage.

I guess its personal preference.
    Drop bars are much safer in restricted space, that's how racing cyclists can bump bars without coming off.

You can always chop down the flat bars though, leverage is unnecessary within reason.

For your requirements I'd focus on getting something that fits full length mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Macy0161 wrote:
    There was a bit of a queue, but moved reasonably fast, and plenty of food. Only took the one sandwich which I regretted. Those marshmallow biscuit bars are lovely though! Met up with a club mate there, so we headed off towards Slievemaan together. Did latch on with a massive Orwell group for a bit, but that broke up on the hills towards Slievemaan. Heard a few asking on some of the smaller climbs was this Slievemaan - I'd say they got a shock! Less said about Slievemaan the better - sufferfest. No feet down, but probably would've been quicker crawling. First cramps on the climb too, in the hammers. Stopped at the top for water - seemed like plenty at that stage. Looked like someone had come off on the descent, but they were up and moving and looked just road rash. Didn't break any personal records on Shay, but was better than SM. I'd know that descent fairly well, but it looked like some were taking it way to fast towards the bottom, but didn't see anyone in bother.

Xenji wrote:
    Try in the 40's in Gran Canaria or when I was in New York in 2011, it is a whole different kind of heat.

Would agree with a flatbar for commuting. Never feel as safe with drop handle bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Drop-bar phobia is gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/classic-bikes/boardman-hybrid-bike-pro

I have the 2012/13 version and it is a savage bike, but it had Sram Double tap and Avid Hydraulic brakes, so not sure if it is a similar bike.

The reviews seem positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Raam wrote: »
    Drop-bar phobia is gas.

As is any phobia, if you don't suffer from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The main issue I had getting used to a road bike in Dublin city was the toe/wheel clipping, Drops are grand.
    Get a long steerer, for a same height view.

Advertisement