Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crèche staff/child ratio

Options
  • 13-06-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm really hoping somebody can help me before I meet with the manager of the crèche where my little girl is. She is due to start for 3full days tomorrow and my stomach is churning at the thoughts of it.

I have done a week of settling in with my child and as I had never been in a crèche I really didn't know what to expect but was relieved when I seen how happy the other toddlers appeared to be. I watched carefully how the staff interacted with the kids.

I have a few concerns and I have researched as much as I can online with Tusla etc. but not getting to the bare bones of it. The ratio is 1:5 for 1 to 2 year olds. There are 10 children and 2 staff EXCEPT when nappies are being changed, when they are asleep and when the children are in the outdoor play area. Also the staff are regularly taking turns leaving the room. In one hour I counted that they left 8 times for one thing or another. Also when the kids are asleep 3 members of staff from the other rooms came in looking for various items which means that they are in turn leaving their areas. I was given the impression that it was 1:5 ratio at all times.

Is the ratio guideline taken lightly in general or is this crèche very lax??

Also they have left me daughter sobbing her heart out walking around the room looking for some sort of consolation/comfort from someone and she didn't get it. I waited to see what the staff would do and for 15 mins they need absolutely nothing. I had to go in and take her up in my arms!! Are they any guidelines for this scenario??

I just want to add that I had visited several different crèches before deciding on the above one.

I am meeting with the crèche manager on Wednesday and would like to be prepared for some of her answers. Thank you

Advertisement