Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit by L plater - Few questions

• 13-06-2016 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

So I hit an L plater today who hadn't learned the safe cross code (came from a side road, I was going about 70km/h. Witnesses etc. Guards say it was clear cut. His fault from all. Few questions.
    • He was on his own. Does that affect my claim?
    • Had a service and wishbones replaced 2 days ago. Any recourse?
    • Baby seat in the back. Can I claim for that?
    • Slightly rare car in Ireland. 1.9 Ti Alfa 159. If I think i'll be low balled by insurance what can I do when there's feck all to compare to on sale currently (it's wrote off)
    • How long do clear cut claims generally take to go through? No injuries for me or my passenger (pending waking up tomorrow!)
    • Is there a general set amount for rental I can claim? Will want the claim amount to replace my car and I have a daily 180km commute
    • Lower back is a little stiff. Am I covered to get it checked out etc?
    • Anybody selling a 159 Ti???? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

So I hit an L plater today who hadn't learned the safe cross code (came from a side road, I was going about 70km/h. Came from a side road. Witnesses etc. His fault from all. Few questions.
    • He was on his own. Does that affect my claim?
    • Had a service and wishbones replaced 2 days ago. Any recourse?
    • Baby seat in the back. Can I claim for that?
    • Slightly rare car in Ireland. 1.9 Ti Alfa 159. If I think i'll be low balled by insurance what can I do when there's feck all to compare to on sale currently (it's wrote off)
    • How long do clear cut claims generally take to go through? No injuries for me or my passenger (pending waking up tomorrow!)
    • Is there a general set amount for rental I can claim? Will want the claim amount to replace my car and I have a daily 180km commute
    • Lower back is a little stiff. Am I covered to get it checked out etc?
    • Anybody selling a 159 Ti???? :mad:

He may not be insured if he was alone as terms would include having a fully licenced driver who has held same for 2 years subject to same driving conditions as driver such as no drinking while supervising.

I would hazard you may be out of Pocket from his insurance and could have to pursue personal claim against the individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

His insurance will cover third parties even though he was driving unaccompanied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

He may not be insured if he was alone as terms would include having a fully licenced driver who has held same for 2 years subject to same driving conditions as driver such as no drinking while supervising.

I would hazard you may be out of Pocket from his insurance and could have to pursue personal claim against the individual.

Ignore this OP.

Once his car is insured you're expenses and loss will be covered.

Can you supply more details about you 159 so people can give an indication of value.

• He was on his own. Does that affect my claim? NO
    • Had a service and wishbones replaced 2 days ago. Any recourse? NO but you can use it to you're advantage when bargaining the payout on the value of your car
    • Baby seat in the back. Can I claim for that? Was it damaged?
    • Slightly rare car in Ireland. 1.9 Ti Alfa 159. If I think i'll be low balled by insurance what can I do when there's feck all to compare to on sale currently (it's wrote off) GIve us more details, age, mileage etc etc
    • How long do clear cut claims generally take to go through? No injuries for me or my passenger (pending waking up tomorrow!) Go see a doctor, honestly do for peace of mind at least. Other than thaT I can't say for definite but I'd expect 2 weeks tbh.
    • Is there a general set amount for rental I can claim? Will want the claim amount to replace my car and I have a daily 180km commute They provide the rental, for how long I don't know.
    • Lower back is a little stiff. Am I covered to get it checked out etc? Yes and definitely do.
    • Anybody selling a 159 Ti???? :mad: I love my 159 too

Hope that helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Needless to say claiming for baby seats, stiff backs etc when there's really no damage is out of order. Not saying that's the case with you OP but unfortunately we live in a claims culture now where everyone wants to squeeze every last cent out of minor accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

My dad had a similar situation regarding a motorcyle that was wrote off in a situation that was not his fault. He'd just replaced the two tyres at a cost of near 350 euro. This didn't affect the market value of the bike and didn't affect the payout from the ins. company.

Jesus. wrote: »
    Needless to say claiming for baby seats, stiff backs etc when there's really no damage is out of order. Not saying that's the case with you OP but unfortunately we live in a claims culture now where everyone wants to squeeze every last cent out of minor accidents.

Baby seat could easily have clips damaged even if it's not visible to the naked eye. I'd be with the OP on that one tbh.

But I 100% agree with the sentiment of what you're saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

As far as I'm concerned the baby seat is PPE. I'd have it replaced.

Again referring to the motorcycle incident, he'd all his leathers replaced including the helmet. Not much damage visible, but, when it comes to protective equipment, if in doubt, chuck it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's recommended to replace baby seats after a shunt, nothing to do with scamming for new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

There is a barstool missing its lawyer somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So I hit an L plater today who hadn't learned the safe cross code (came from a side road, I was going about 70km/h.
    unfortunately we live in a claims culture now where everyone wants to squeeze every last cent out of minor accidents.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sure why not just mind one's own business and don't be a busy body just like the advice given in the reporting foreign/yellow reg plates thread? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Disconnect between thread title and start of OP.

"Hit by L plater"

"So I hit an L plater today"

Who hit who, and where?

"L plater" could be construed to be a pejorative term....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

CiniO wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Funny ol world the insurance companies want us to live in, 70kph crash and you are treated like a scammer for claiming.

"Walk it off like! "
    "It'll buff out"
    "Nothing a shlap of a lump hammer won't straighten"
    "Don't be raising other people's premiums by claiming"
    "2 aspirin, be grand"
    "Snitches get stitches"
    "Insurance executives deserve their perks"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Absolutely replace the baby seat. Any collision whatsoever they are supposed to be replaced-particularly one at 70km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would it be worth your while getting your claim handled by a third party, especially if your car was a bit unusual.. ? Takes the hassle out and they'll know what your entitled to -car hire wise -ect

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Funny ol world the insurance companies want us to live in, 70kph crash and you are treated like a scammer for claiming.

"Walk it off like! "
    "It'll buff out"
    "Nothing a shlap of a lump hammer won't straighten"
    "Don't be raising other people's premiums by claiming"
    "2 aspirin, be grand"
    "Snitches get stitches"
    "Insurance executives deserve their perks"

Agreed. 70 km/h and the car written off is certainly not a "minor" accident.

OP, if your back felt a bit tender yesterday, definitely get yourself checked out. No matter how hardy you think you might be (not that this really matters!!), it may take a couple of weeks or months for your body to show the full extent of the injuries, particularly if it's back or neck.

I was in a tip at 60km/h, and suffered what I would consider "minor" whiplash-type injuries. It was a front-side impact. My lower back was worst affected and it took about 3 months of physio to get it back right. My wife was in the car with me and came off worse. About 6 months of physio on her back, and she still suffers with her wrist five years on - that was an injury she didn't pay any attention to at the time but is quite debilitated by now.

In terms of the claim, I seem to remember getting a rental for about a week without having to fork out myself, and the 'value' of the car was paid out pretty quickly through my own insurance, pending a claim through the other party's insurance. Once liability was established (which i had to get a solicitor in for), my insurance went after his insurance and the claim didn't stand against me in any way.

Any claims for personal injury were dealt with separately as far as I recall.

Balls that it was a 159ti though, they're getting quite scarce now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The individual condition of your car is irrelevant, you will get the average resale value for that model and that's it, it's a terrible system but that's it.

Rental is allowed for a time, up to two weeks is reasonable, that's what I was told.

Don't be put off by the nay sayers, if something was damaged like the child's seat then claim for it, this is what insurance is for.

A claim with no injury involved should settle in a matter of weeks. Once personal injury is involved it gets drawn out depending on the injury. I only recently settled a personal injury for an accident from 2009 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Ignore this OP.

Can you supply more details about you 159 so people can give an indication of value.

I will be first to admit im not sure on things like this, however in expereince from friends and family there have been instances where motor insurers would try block claim for this reason.

guess ill leave it to those with more knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Just out of interest, was the other person OK after being hit side on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Ignore this OP.

It's a 159 Ti 1.9JTD. 96,000 miles. Body work etc. perfect. Just serviced as I said by Ti autos. Full service history. Belt done at around 55k. Only similar one up I can see has 70k more miles on it.
    As others have said a car seat isn't to be used again after an accident. Feel ok today so hopefully don't need to go to doc and definitely not looking to claim for anything false.
    Esel wrote: »
    Disconnect between thread title and start of OP.

"Hit by L plater"

"So I hit an L plater today"

Who hit who, and where?

"L plater" could be construed to be a pejorative term....
    Not arguing about technicalities. He pulled out and my car and his car came together. His fault no question.

Thanks for the advice all. Would love to get something similar to replace it but as i'm so reliant on my car to get to work it'll be hard to sort when I can only get a rental for a week and need to get the money from the claim.

Just put it into Revenue and it's showing an OMSP of €4455 which is ridiculous!

unfortunately the revenue/VRT and the insurance book value will be based on a simple enough equation that only considers original cost, age, and mileage, and applies a blanket depreciation rate. They don't consider how rare the car is, it's condition, how much blood sweat and tears you've lost to it, etc..

I was lucky that mine was a 3 year old 1.6TDCI focus, of which there were easily 60 on carzone with similar mileage, so there was no real argument as to the value.

even still, i ended up driving around in a yaris for a year until I took the plunge for something more appropriate.

Sorry for your loss, discombobulate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

OP, I had a great condition 325ci MSport e46 which was written off as a result of someone elses fault.

I had bought the car from a BMW enthusiast a couple of months before for 3700 and put about another 1000 into it as well as maybe 30hours paint correction time. 2 weeks before the crash I had put on two new rear tyres for 300euro.

The first quote I got from the insurance payout guy was 1600. I eventually, through many calls and much arguing of my case, got it up to 3100. I accused him of working for the insurance company and not being fair (he´s supposed to be neutral) which definitely hit home.

As regards to extras, condition, extra money put in etc, dont expect any money back.

Best of luck, its an absolute pain in the balls. It takes lots of time and stress for something you didnt cause and the insurance companies do nothing to ease it.

plys wrote: »
    unfortunately the revenue/VRT and the insurance book value will be based on a simple enough equation that only considers original cost, age, and mileage, and applies a blanket depreciation rate. They don't consider how rare the car is, it's condition, how much blood sweat and tears you've lost to it, etc..

I was lucky that mine was a 3 year old 1.6TDCI focus, of which there were easily 60 on carzone with similar mileage, so there was no real argument as to the value.

even still, i ended up driving around in a yaris for a year until I took the plunge for something more appropriate.

Sorry for your loss, discombobulate
    Thanks. I had to argue with the insurance company last year when I was getting the car insured. They didn't have the Ti on their system and were trying to value it as a Lusso. Ended up having it identified as a Ti and paid extra for it to be. Hopefully that'll help a little. Glad I didn't just take what they were saying at the time.

I know that the usual course of action is to check for similar prices on DoneDeal and Carzone. As my car was an import would I have any argument in comparing it to similar for sale in the UK at the moment?

it can't hurt to do a comparison, eg if a lusso is averaging at 4k and a ti is averaging 5k, you could justify applying a 20% premium on irish lusso prices, assuming there are no ti's for sale in ireland. If some plank is asking small money for a ti, you may find it more difficult to convince the assessor that you're not a dreamer!

What year was yours? I don't think you mentioned above.

import or not, you would however be only looking at the value in Ireland. so the actual prices in the UK would not be relevant.

There is a ti on Carzone. http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/alfa-romeo/159/used-2010-alfa-romeo-159-1-9-stdm-laois-fpa-201214647877548580

not sure if it's comparable or not, but the ad mightn't be around forever so take a screenshot of it or print it off.

plys wrote: »
    it can't hurt to do a comparison, eg if a lusso is averaging at 4k and a ti is averaging 5k, you could justify applying a 20% premium on irish lusso prices, assuming there are no ti's for sale in ireland. If some plank is asking small money for a ti, you may find it more difficult to convince the assessor that you're not a dreamer!

What year was yours? I don't think you mentioned above.
    It's a 2008. This is the only similar one I can see but has a lot more mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I know that the usual course of action is to check for similar prices on DoneDeal and Carzone. As my car was an import would I have any argument in comparing it to similar for sale in the UK at the moment?

Start doing your homework on what it would cost to land the same car, same condition, VRT'd etc.

Insurance are supposed to put you back in the same position you were before the accident, so that should be the fair market value.

Hopefully they won't outsource the valuation to the UK - if they do, expect a terrible valuation and if that happens, put in a formal complaint and they should take the valuation back in house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There's one very similar for sale in the UK:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602221276397?minimum-mileage=from_80000_miles&model=159&search-target=usedcars&fuel-type=diesel&radius=1501&sort=default&onesearchad=used&postcode=bl98jx&page=1&year-from=2008&maximum-mileage=up_to_100000_miles&make=alfa_romeo&year-to=2008&searchcontext=default&logcode=p

Probably a small discount available for exporting the car and not pestering them for warranty work, so I'd say that could be bought for £3,800 (no where near as much discount on used cars in the UK as there is in Ireland).

With today's exchange rate and a VRT amount (Stat Code 42286114) I wouldn't take less than €5,800 from the insurance company (which should allow you to land that one), and I'd be aiming for closer to €6,250 to allow for costs/time involved in importing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

As others have said a car seat isn't to be used again after an accident. Feel ok today so hopefully don't need to go to doc and definitely not looking to claim for anything false.

Sure mate. As the guys say, changing the child's seat is correct. I got that one wrong. Didn't mean to imply you might have been on the take Sir. There's so many chancers out there its hard to trust anyone these days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I got hit into there before Christmas by someone else and they accepted liability(I'm an L driver for disclosure) and when it went through insurance claim, their insurance offered a write off at an offensive value that wouldn't enable me to buy a car to the same standard. Opel Astra 00 Sport, annual service and well maintained and kept mechanically.

Thankfully the other party were nice about the whole situation, and in the end I brought my car(which had paint damage to the right hand side) to their mechanic who was sorting their car, and they struck a deal. So got my car fixed and they just covered it. Avoided having to go through nonsense with the insurance companies about value (wouldn't mind I have my car valued and my insurer sided with my evaluation, their insurer was plucking ads from done deal as justification for their offer)

The entire write off thing really boils my piss. Being punished for something not your fault.

The other lad is contesting liability which is a bit ridiculous. Insurance company haven't been able to get through to the garda to get their statement etc. I've sent on pics etc. of the scene and the roads showing how clear it was.

If I was to rent a car myself does anyone know if I can then claim this back provided it's found in my favor which i've no doubt it will? I know I could claim from my own insurance company and let them pursue it from the other side but my insurance is up next month and if there's an open claim it'll be a nightmare getting insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

The other lad is contesting liability which is a bit ridiculous.

Silly thing to be doing when part of the conditions for his driving licence is to have a fully licensed passenger making sure he drives how he should be driving.

• Advertisement

shietpilot wrote: »
    Silly thing to be doing when part of the conditions for his driving licence is to have a fully licensed passenger making sure he drives how he should be driving.
    You'd also think if someone really thought it wasn't their fault that they'd be trying to claim from me which he's not doing

You'd also think if someone really thought it wasn't their fault that they'd be trying to claim from me which he's not doing

Well good luck to him, it was his duty to make sure the road is clear before he pulled out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The other lad is contesting liability which is a bit ridiculous. Insurance company haven't been able to get through to the garda to get their statement etc. I've sent on pics etc. of the scene and the roads showing how clear it was.

If I was to rent a car myself does anyone know if I can then claim this back provided it's found in my favor which i've no doubt it will? I know I could claim from my own insurance company and let them pursue it from the other side but my insurance is up next month and if there's an open claim it'll be a nightmare getting insured.

Good job providing all the hard proof you can, you can bet he(they?) will try the card of "you were going too faaassshhhtt!". With the Garda report you should be set anyway.

Poor 159...is it reasonably beyond repair on an engineering standpoint, or is it the insurance pulling the classic "costs less to get another one" card?

By chance, it wouldn't have been the white one I often saw parked in Percy Place?

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Good job providing all the hard proof you can, you can bet he(they?) will try the card of "you were going too faaassshhhtt!". With the Garda report you should be set anyway.

Poor 159...is it reasonably beyond repair on an engineering standpoint, or is it the insurance pulling the classic "costs less to get another one" card?

By chance, it wouldn't have been the white one I often saw parked in Percy Place?
    No it was a grey one. Definitely beyond repair. See pic attached. He said it to me at the scene that I must have been speeding. He got a fair mouthful from me for that statement. The cars are pretty much where the collision occurred which I imagine wouldn't have been the case if I was bombing it.

Just by looking at that photo you can tell the 159 was mint before the crash :(

• Advertisement

Balls that looks nasty. It's fairly obvious it was a side on hit.

What's he disputing do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

That 159 looked like a beaut :eek:

Unfortunately I doubt what you had it insured as or for will make any difference as it's not your own company you're claiming off.

I had an IS200 Sport a few years back, insured for €2500 with my company. It got rear ended and the other drivers company valued it at €4000 no questions asked so I don't think it has much to do with your own cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Lucky man if you got outta that without even soft tissue injuries. Airbags deployed?

No it was a grey one. Definitely beyond repair. See pic attached. He said it to me at the scene that I must have been speeding. He got a fair mouthful from me for that statement. The cars are pretty much where the collision occurred which I imagine wouldn't have been the case if I was bombing it.

If you were speeding the 206 would have been launched in the ditch and possibly he'd got hurt quite a bit, people heavily underestimate the forces at play - I assume the Peugeot ended in the position it is by pivoting on its rear wheels from the impact, right? It's clear from the damage that the impact happened at a relatively low speed, the 159 is one heck of a heavy hitter - yours hit the Peugeot with its left hand beam and it looks like it didn't deform (the wheel arch and panel look mostly intact, which suggest the chassis underneath isn't bent).

Now the car would need to be inspected properly to look for cracks and metal shearing, but I have a feeling that in Italy it might not be considered a writeoff. I'm often amazed at what insurances write off here.

I am curious about something - given the car's rarity, you could be able to at least get a bit of financial consolation (small stuff, I know) by selling out any spares it can still provide; But would it be allowed by the insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Sorry for your troubles OP it's a beautiful car or was.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    given the car's rarity, you could be able to at least get a bit of financial consolation (small stuff, I know) by selling out any spares it can still provide; But would it be allowed by the insurance?

Insurance co could well offer it back at scrap value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Lucky man if you got outta that without even soft tissue injuries. Airbags deployed?

For sure they would have, in fact if you look at the steering wheel you can see the bag is out.
    Driving without due care the L driver.
    Surprised he has the balls to contest it considering he wasn't supposed to be on the road and ignored the rules of joining another road.

Insurance company will have to offer it to me for what they get offered as scrap as far as I know. Not having somewhere to store it would be a difficulty though. Have my eye on another one although it doesn't have the same wheels. May look to get the wheels off it from whoever takes it for scrap if I can't just take them myself anyway.

Had an Alfa GT previously but had an accident a few years ago (my fault that time) where it was wrote off with a lot less damage to it. Ended up getting what I had paid for it 2 years previously though which softened the blow that time.

Airbags deployed, seatbelts seized, golf bag went through back seats so latches etc. broke on them in addition to all the frontal damage. Would be very surprised if it saw the road again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Sorry to hear about your 159 man :( Glad you're ok! I've a Ti too and just love the dam car.

Without sounding like a vulture, I'd say 159 Ti parts should sell handy enough being so hard to find!

hope you find a nice replacement one.

bear1 wrote: »
    For sure they would have, in fact if you look at the steering wheel you can see the bag is out.
    Driving without due care the L driver.
    Surprised he has the balls to contest it considering he wasn't supposed to be on the road and ignored the rules of joining another road.

He most likely doesn't know that; I am often amazed about how many young people either never got the "new" regulations or willingly ignore them; Usually they keep referring to the learner's permit as a "provisional license".

• Advertisement
Advertisement