Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish setter puppies

• 13-06-2016 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I'm quite new to all dogs things so give me a chance! I was considering getting a puppy, an Irish setter. I was just wondering, how much would a puppy cost? I'd be happy to pay about 400 if it came from a proper background like, if it was brought up properly, so pretty much I was looking for a decent, ethical breeder. I seen one on the IKC in Wicklow, and I contacted him. But my major disadvantage is I don't have a car :( . How would I be able to get a dog from Wicklow to Dublin without a car?
    Thanks for any replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Would you consider a rescue?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭adamob544

Considering it's not like really wicked or vicious or anything I probably would, but like preferably coming from a loving background, how much roughly would a rescue cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm not sure what you mean by you saw one on the IKC in Wicklow, where did you see it?

Is it an older dog? Did the breeder give you a price? I would expect to pay at least double that figure for a pup from hip-scored parents by an ethical breeder tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

adamob544 wrote: »
    Considering it's not like really wicked or vicious or anything I probably would, but like preferably coming from a loving background, how much roughly would a rescue cost?

You're very focussed on cost in your posts, and seem to think that all rescue dogs are bad in some way.

A lot of rescues have their dogs in foster and they are incredibly well cared for in home environments.

If you are getting a dog from a rescue you pay an adoption fee which goes towards their costs e.g. neutering, microchipping, food etc.

• Advertisement

Go on to the IKC website and go to Irish setters, the breeder's details are at the bottom.
    He said they're puppies but there's none available atm, and didn't give a price.

As I said I'm still new to knowing dogs in detail, the most I'd know is that some dogs from rescues could've come from bad backgrounds but like there'd be some from a nice background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If you can't get outside of Dublin to view the litter, I would wait until there is a litter available in Dublin that you can get to, as it is recommended that you go and visit the pups and see them in their own home, with their mother. You may have to wait a while, but hopefully it will be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Go on to the IKC website and go to Irish setters, the breeder's details are at the bottom.
    He said they're puppies but there's none available atm, and didn't give a price.

As I said I'm still new to knowing dogs in detail, the most I'd know is that some dogs from rescues could've come from bad backgrounds but like there'd be some from a nice background.

There are also pups from breeders, even IKC registered pups that also come from bad backgrounds, such as puppy farmers and back yard breeders. Which is why it is important to visit the pups at home. Don't agree to meet anybody somewhere with a pup.

It'd be grand going out to see the litter, the problem would be actually bring the dog home :P . Hopefully it will yeah :)

That man is from the breed club. He may well breed himself but he will have details of all breeders in the country who are members of the club. If you are willing to wait and pay a lot more than €400 you can ask him about members closer to Dublin and say you are willing to wait till one comes available. They won't be €400 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Sorry to be asking OP but from your post above you suggest you haven't owned a dog before?

If this is infact the case im not sure an irish setter would be for you, they are a gun dog - require LOTS of stimulation and exercise and space. If you are looking for your first dog i think id look a different breed if im honest. They are fabulous dogs but not for first time dog owners - maybe i took your post up wrong but thats my advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

cocker5 wrote: »
    Sorry to be asking OP but from your post above you suggest you haven't owned a dog before?

If this is infact the case im not sure an irish setter would be for you, they are a gun dog - require LOTS of stimulation and exercise and space. If you are looking for your first dog i think id look a different breed if im honest. They are fabulous dogs but not for first time dog owners - maybe i took your post up wrong but thats my advice :)

We had an Irish Setter when we were growing up, neighbours had a litter and gave us one. Gorgeous dog but holy god was he insane. He had so much energy and we couldnt tire him out. Lovely natured but crazy energy wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was going to say the same thing! :p My friend has one - they grew up with setters and cockers that would have been used for hunting. Her memory of the wise old setters was the polar opposite to the mad pup and now adult dog. My two (retrievers) would have a jaunt around the park and then sleep all day but the setter would be on the go all day long!

tk123 wrote: »
    I was going to say the same thing! :p My friend has one - they grew up with setters and cockers that would have been used for hunting. Her memory of the wise old setters was the polar opposite to the mad pup and now adult dog. My two (retrievers) would have a jaunt around the park and then sleep all day but the setter would be on the go all day long!

:D:D and from my experience of owing a cocker... the gun dogs are not for the faint hearted! :P:P and my guy at 11 is still going all day! and does a 25k hike up the mountains each weekend no bother! I'm dead at the end and he could go around again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Setters are beauties, we had one years ago, and as everyone has said so far, need a LOT of stimulation and exercise, being worker dogs.
    OP, just my tuppence worth - if you dont have a car, having a big dog like a red setter might be an issue from the point of view of getting to/from a vet. Is there one very nearby that god forbid you would have to bring a sick adult dog to... (Not to mention vaccinations/wormers/boosters/checkups/neutering etc)
    Also with setters, do make sure that you see the hip scores of the bitch and dog - this is so important.
    Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I know it is not what you were asking, but the other thing to consider having a large dog that needs alot of exercise without a car is getting the dogs to places where they can be safely off lease to exercise.

As you have mentioned cost of things a few times in you posting maybe have a read of the thread linked here to get your head around some of the other costs associated with owning a dog.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75150497

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP, I have 3 Irish setters, aged 3, 6 and 9. They require a lot of exercise and need an off lead run, you won't tire one out on lead. There's also 2 different types, the working gundog lines and the show lines. The working lines are smaller, less feathered and need tons of exercise to tire them out. The show lines grow taller and have far more feathering and there's a good deal of upkeep on their coat. That could be an outlay of €60/€70 for every groom, unless you're prepared to learn how to do it yourself.

We've only had one since she was a pup and she cost well in excess of €400 and that was in 2007. Her parents were hunting champions and it shows in her, she's highly intelligent and is a great all round dog, touch wood she's never had any health issues and is just starting to slow down now, whereas her younger companions are still running marathons every day. There's plenty of things you need to look out for, hip scores and eye tests are necessary for the breed.

I hope your going to include your new dog as part of the family, and allow them access to the house. Dogs don't do well confined to a garden, particularly setters, they are exceptionally soft natured dogs and need companionship and their family to be accessible to them. My youngest dog was given up to me for rehoming as he was never allowed in the house and was miserable and had started to act out (chewing garden furniture etc). Thankfully his previous owners realised that it wasn't right to do this for the remainder of the dogs life and gave him away rather than subject him to a life of solitude in the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hello all,
    I'm quite new to all dogs things so give me a chance! I was considering getting a puppy, an Irish setter. I was just wondering, how much would a puppy cost? I'd be happy to pay about 400 if it came from a proper background like, if it was brought up properly, so pretty much I was looking for a decent, ethical breeder. I seen one on the IKC in Wicklow, and I contacted him. But my major disadvantage is I don't have a car :( . How would I be able to get a dog from Wicklow to Dublin without a car?

Adam, my first response to your post was written on my mobile, hence its brevity. Having read your post again I'm not sure you've put enough thought into owning a dog at all, let alone a setter. I do think you need to do a lot more homework in advance of owning a dog. Many posters have offered advice here but I still think you need to think some more about the commitment involved (financially, in years etc).

I mentioned a rescue as I'm involved in a voluntary capacity with more than one. One of my two dogs is from a rescue, and I also foster. There seems to be a stigma around rescue dogs for some reason in this country that I don't understand personally.

I walk my dogs twice a day (first thing in the morning and in the evening). A setter would require many more KMs than I'm doing - can you commit to that?

Is the dog for you OP or would it be a family dog? I see from your other posts you are still at school.

Take your point ;) . Tbh ive had one dog before when I was young - a Dalmatian , and he passed away when I was still kinda young. My mam on the other hand has been through loadsa dogs from jack russels to this guy, so hopefully it would be grand :) .

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    Setters are beauties, we had one years ago, and as everyone has said so far, need a LOT of stimulation and exercise, being worker dogs.
    OP, just my tuppence worth - if you dont have a car, having a big dog like a red setter might be an issue from the point of view of getting to/from a vet. Is there one very nearby that god forbid you would have to bring a sick adult dog to... (Not to mention vaccinations/wormers/boosters/checkups/neutering etc)
    Also with setters, do make sure that you see the hip scores of the bitch and dog - this is so important.
    Good luck with your search.
    As for that type of stuff there is a blue cross mobile unit that comes up to the shopping centre in my area every week so thatd be grand. Sorry what would you mean with 'the hip scores'? Thanks :)

sillysmiles , As for letting it off the lead I hopefully would be grand. Theres a park to the back of my house, a field down the road and an even bigger park about 15 minutes away :) , my only concern would be how it mixes with other dogs, personally id be scared to see like a german shepherd or something chasing after my dog

OP, I have 3 Irish setters, aged 3, 6 and 9. They require a lot of exercise and need an off lead run, you won't tire one out on lead. There's also 2 different types, the working gundog lines and the show lines. The working lines are smaller, less feathered and need tons of exercise to tire them out. The show lines grow taller and have far more feathering and there's a good deal of upkeep on their coat. That could be an outlay of 60/ 70 for every groom, unless you're prepared to learn how to do it yourself.

We've only had one since she was a pup and she cost well in excess of 400 and that was in 2007. Her parents were hunting champions and it shows in her, she's highly intelligent and is a great all round dog, touch wood she's never had any health issues and is just starting to slow down now, whereas her younger companions are still running marathons every day. There's plenty of things you need to look out for, hip scores and eye tests are necessary for the breed.

I hope your going to include your new dog as part of the family, and allow them access to the house. Dogs don't do well confined to a garden, particularly setters, they are exceptionally soft natured dogs and need companionship and their family to be accessible to them. My youngest dog was given up to me for rehoming as he was never allowed in the house and was miserable and had started to act out (chewing garden furniture etc). Thankfully his previous owners realised that it wasn't right to do this for the remainder of the dogs life and gave him away rather than subject him to a life of solitude in the garden.
    Yeah itd definitely be a family dog. I wasnt going to let it in the sitting room coz i already have two birds and i wouldnt say a setter in particular would like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

As for that type of stuff there is a blue cross mobile unit that comes up to the shopping centre in my area every week so thatd be grand. Sorry what would you mean with 'the hip scores'? Thanks :)

I'm familiar with the Blue Cross vans as I brought a kitten I found there when I was a student. I queued for almost an hour to see the vet. What are you going to do if, god forbid, you have an emergency with the dog? Would you be physically able to carry an adult Setter there and back?

I don't think using the Blue Cross vans as your regular vet is a sensible idea at all.

Hello all,

Adam, my first response to your post was written on my mobile, hence its brevity. Having read your post again I'm not sure you've put enough thought into owning a dog at all, let alone a setter. I do think you need to do a lot more homework in advance of owning a dog. Many posters have offered advice here but I still think you need to think some more about the commitment involved (financially, in years etc).

I mentioned a rescue as I'm involved in a voluntary capacity with more than one. One of my two dogs is from a rescue, and I also foster. There seems to be a stigma around rescue dogs for some reason in this country that I don't understand personally.

I walk my dogs twice a day (first thing in the morning and in the evening). A setter would require many more KMs than I'm doing - can you commit to that?
    I understand what you mean. I suppose itd be the same for any dog but ive done some searching about setters. Considering I've had a dog before i could adapt to a setter. I know though i still got loads more researching and stuff to do, sure if i ended up getting a setter it wouldnt be til the end of summer. I might even end up getting a different breed but I'll have to see how things go

Is the dog for you OP or would it be a family dog? I see from your other posts you are still at school.
    Yeah a family dog

Valentina wrote: »

I'm familiar with the Blue Cross vans as I brought a kitten I found there when I was a student. I queued for almost an hour to see the vet. What are you going to do if, god forbid, you have an emergency with the dog? Would you be physically able to carry an adult Setter there and back?

I don't think using the Blue Cross vans as your regular vet is a sensible idea at all.
    I meant the blue cross for vaccines and stuff like that, as for a regular vet i have no idea whats in my area. Im not sure what the story is with my previous dog, but god forbid if something happens, id do some researching before i actually get it

Sorry if i really seem like a newbie or anything lads, but what breeds would youse think id be suited for? Considering i used to be afraid of any dog, even my old one. But now id have no bother with a german shepherd because i always see him. Tbh id say a setter wouldnt be suitable for me but theyre just my favourite breed. Because once im back to school i probably wont have much time at all to spend.
    Thanks again everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭bilbot79

OP. I assume you're in Blanch then. Even with the Phoenix park nearby it's tough to let a red setter off the leash. If they spot a rabbit they will literally forget who you are and how much youpaid for them. I had one as a kid, super super dog but hard to control. I'm not sure I'd do it again. He was a show dog and got cancer at ten. Poor fella . Still miss the big donkey 15 years later

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    OP. I assume you're in Blanch then. Even with the Phoenix park nearby it's tough to let a red setter off the leash. If they spot a rabbit they will literally forget who you are and how much youpaid for them. I had one as a kid, super super dog but hard to control. I'm not sure I'd do it again. He was a show dog and got cancer at ten. Poor fella . Still miss the big donkey 15 years later
    Yeah blanch, thats what id be afraid of and if it doesnt come back i wouldnt know what to do, but like its been 10 years since ive even had a dog. Poor lad so sorry to hear :(

After school do you plan to go to college, move away to work? This may not be the best time in your life to get a dog. If it is a family dog then you need to make sure that it's your mum that is as involved as you in getting the dog.

You mention that you were afraid of dogs, and have mentioned that you wouldn't really be sure what to do it other situations. Everyone has to start learning somewhere, but I wonder would volunteering at a rescue help you get more used to dogs in real life and give you some experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm in Blanch too. I have an even larger hunt/ point/retrieve breed & 4 very active terriers who would make an Irish Setter look laid back. There are loads of safe places to walk off lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I can control 3 of them off lead. Once you find their motivation you'll get the control sorted. Mine are bird mad, but I can still get them to return to me if necessary. Although one of them I can't get to shut up sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Knine wrote: »
    I'm in Blanch too. I have an even larger hunt/ point/retrieve breed & 4 very active terriers who would make an Irish Setter look laid back. There are loads of safe places to walk off lead.

+1 Also friend's setter would have squirrels and rabbits practically waving at him and seconds later be huh?!

muddypaws wrote: »
    There are also pups from breeders, even IKC registered pups that also come from bad backgrounds, such as puppy farmers and back yard breeders. Which is why it is important to visit the pups at home. Don't agree to meet anybody somewhere with a pup.

What do you mean by a back year breeder?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by a back year breeder?

A back yard breeder is someone who breeds their pet for money, without any proper formal health tests being done.. hip scores etc.... registered or unregistered... usually sells them on dondeal, adverts that kind of thing...

all the new breeds (and many "pure breed")... cockapoo... maltichon.. yorkiepoo = back yard breeder

After school do you plan to go to college, move away to work? This may not be the best time in your life to get a dog. If it is a family dog then you need to make sure that it's your mum that is as involved as you in getting the dog.

You mention that you were afraid of dogs, and have mentioned that you wouldn't really be sure what to do it other situations. Everyone has to start learning somewhere, but I wonder would volunteering at a rescue help you get more used to dogs in real life and give you some experience?
    I planned to join the army, but i have no idea how things would go if i had the dog, i planned to keep the dog with me if it is possible.
    Yeah like id love to get a little summer job working in a rescue but as far as i know the minimum age is 16, im only 15. Theres a rescue along the Navan road so id have no bother getting out there.

I'd suggest ringing them and seeing if you can help. I don't think you'll be able to get a job (ie paid) but they may be quite happy to have you help around the place. At 15, in 3 years time there is going to be big changes in your life ahead.
    I had my first dog at 12, and he was my shadow. It was very hard for him to understand then 5 years later why I wasn't around (when I went of to college). He died when I was an adult and living abroad. He was fine in the long run and was happy living on a farm but the transitions were really hard on him. I didn't get another dog until recently, once I'd bought a house an knew I wasn't going to be moving again.

I'm not trying to put you off, I just think you need to think beyond the "getting a puppy" stage, as you are going to have a dog for 10 years or more. So think about and talk to you parents/family about what happens when you are in the army? Or think about trying to get somewhere to rent etc.
    It's a big decision, that will last for nearly as long as you've been alive so far, and one you need to be making with your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I think there are two important things to consider when you get a dog at such a young age, 1: is your family renting? and 2: is main provider/homeowner in the family committed to keeping and looking after this dog's needs for the next 15 years (give or take)?
    Would the main provider for the dog be able to cope with the physical and mental exercise needs, puppy class (which usually costs upwards from €100 and this is to socialise your puppy with other dogs and people, otherwise you can end up with a fearful adult dog) pet insurance, food, grooming, toys and so on throughout its life?

If you get a dog, get a dog that suits your lifestyle as it is NOW. Do not expect to change your lifestyle for the sake of suiting your dog, you most likely wouldn't last a week, nobody would.

The state of rescues in this country is a good example of people not thinking getting a dog through, which is why I'm being pretty direct with what I say in this post. For most people it's a nice idea, for (sadly) a lot of people it's not realistic to bring a dog into their home in the long run, especially a large breed.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I'd suggest ringing them and seeing if you can help. I don't think you'll be able to get a job (ie paid) but they may be quite happy to have you help around the place. At 15, in 3 years time there is going to be big changes in your life ahead.
    I had my first dog at 12, and he was my shadow. It was very hard for him to understand then 5 years later why I wasn't around (when I went of to college). He died when I was an adult and living abroad. He was fine in the long run and was happy living on a farm but the transitions were really hard on him. I didn't get another dog until recently, once I'd bought a house an knew I wasn't going to be moving again.

I'm not trying to put you off, I just think you need to think beyond the "getting a puppy" stage, as you are going to have a dog for 10 years or more. So think about and talk to you parents/family about what happens when you are in the army? Or think about trying to get somewhere to rent etc.
    It's a big decision, that will last for nearly as long as you've been alive so far, and one you need to be making with your family.

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the rescue so I cant look it up :P . I found another rescue called <snip> and asked them if I could volunteer, so ill see how that goes. I take your point, but since it would be a family dog, he/she would be used to anybody in the house, so if I would be absent for some time, the dog will be well used to anyone.

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    I think there are two important things to consider when you get a dog at such a young age, 1: is your family renting? and 2: is main provider/homeowner in the family committed to keeping and looking after this dog's needs for the next 15 years (give or take)?
    Would the main provider for the dog be able to cope with the physical and mental exercise needs, puppy class (which usually costs upwards from €100 and this is to socialise your puppy with other dogs and people, otherwise you can end up with a fearful adult dog) pet insurance, food, grooming, toys and so on throughout its life?

If you get a dog, get a dog that suits your lifestyle as it is NOW. Do not expect to change your lifestyle for the sake of suiting your dog, you most likely wouldn't last a week, nobody would.

The state of rescues in this country is a good example of people not thinking getting a dog through, which is why I'm being pretty direct with what I say in this post. For most people it's a nice idea, for (sadly) a lot of people it's not realistic to bring a dog into their home in the long run, especially a large breed.

No we own the house. As for that, I would imagine so. I have had no financial problems or anything with my last dog so money and that wouldn't be trouble.
    That's what is making me re-consider a setter. Being a very active dog and needing lots of running space, I don't think I could provide that. There simply wouldn't be time or space for a large dog, however my last dog was a Dalmatian, but I think he was a bit too big for my house.

No we own the house. As for that, I would imagine so. I have had no financial problems or anything with my last dog so money and that wouldn't be trouble.
    That's what is making me re-consider a setter. Being a very active dog and needing lots of running space, I don't think I could provide that. There simply wouldn't be time or space for a large dog, however my last dog was a Dalmatian, but I think he was a bit too big for my house.

You will notice a bored large breed far quicker than you would notice a bored small breed. Smart to reconsider a particular breed, sometimes it's easy to get stuck in the fantasy of what you would love. :o For example I would love a Groenendael (Belgian Shepherd) but my life wouldn't suit one right now.

What kind of dog are you looking for? What kind of things would you want to do with your dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the rescue so I cant look it up :P . I found another rescue called <snip> and asked them if I could volunteer, so ill see how that goes. I take your point, but since it would be a family dog, he/she would be used to anybody in the house, so if I would be absent for some time, the dog will be well used to anyone.

You'd be surprised at how close a bond a dog can form with its primary carer. He/she might seem okay when you go off to work or college but almost keel over in relief when you go home. Getting a pup now might see you juggling responsibilities including a geriatric dog when you hit 30. Are you prepared for that?

Have you and your mum considered fostering or adopting an older dog that won't entail a 15 year commitment?

A dog is a true joy, so if you put thought, consideration and hard work in you'll be repaid a thousand times. Just make sure it's the right time and the right dog.

You will notice a bored large breed far quicker than you would notice a bored small breed. Smart to reconsider a particular breed, sometimes it's easy to get stuck in the fantasy of what you would love. :o For example I would love a Groenendael (Belgian Shepherd) but my life wouldn't suit one right now.

What kind of dog are you looking for? What kind of things would you want to do with your dog?
    Ikr :P . I'm actually not too sure now after re-considering a setter, I don't think me and the area are suited for a large dog like. All I really wanted is to have like a 'little buddy' and to go out walking and playing tbh.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't know the name of the rescue so I cant look it up :P . I found another rescue called and asked them if I could volunteer, so ill see how that goes. I take your point, but since it would be a family dog, he/she would be used to anybody in the house, so if I would be absent for some time, the dog will be well used to anyone.

You'd be surprised at how close a bond a dog can form with its primary carer. He/she might seem okay when you go off to work or college but almost keel over in relief when you go home. Getting a pup now might see you juggling responsibilities including a geriatric dog when you hit 30. Are you prepared for that?

Have you and your mum considered fostering or adopting an older dog that won't entail a 15 year commitment?

A dog is a true joy, so if you put thought, consideration and hard work in you'll be repaid a thousand times. Just make sure it's the right time and the right dog.
    I wouldn't say we'd consider fostering, because she said if we actually do get one, it'd be here to stay. I was thinking though, whenever I will get one, there'll always be times when I would be out and not around, so I'm not sure if timing would actually be a matter. Unfortunately I'm stuck on the 'right dog' part :(

I wouldn't say we'd consider fostering, because she said if we actually do get one, it'd be here to stay. I was thinking though, whenever I will get one, there'll always be times when I would be out and not around, so I'm not sure if timing would actually be a matter. Unfortunately I'm stuck on the 'right dog' part :(

Fostering is great because if it doesn't work out, you haven't made a commitment to the dog. Question for ya... and I recommend these dogs to almost everyone... :p but would you consider a Lurcher/Sighthound? Loads in rescues. They are a 'bigger' dog but without the huge demands a lot of working breeds bring. They are truly fab dogs, they don't require a heap of exercise like most think, I know many who love a short walk and will sleep most of the day, very affectionate, generally pretty healthy. Only thing is if you already have small animals in the home it can be a bit difficult as Sighthounds (and their crosses) can have high drive to chase small running things.

Fostering is great because if it doesn't work out, you haven't made a commitment to the dog. Question for ya... and I recommend these dogs to almost everyone... :p but would you consider a Lurcher/Sighthound? Loads in rescues. They are a 'bigger' dog but without the huge demands a lot of working breeds bring. They are truly fab dogs, they don't require a heap of exercise like most think, I know many who love a short walk and will sleep most of the day, very affectionate, generally pretty healthy. Only thing is if you already have small animals in the home it can be a bit difficult as Sighthounds (and their crosses) can have high drive to chase small running things.
    I wouldn't say so unfortunately, I'm still looking around but definitely considering. I searched up 'family dogs' and seen this, haha :( . I was wondering about a golden retriever, but I'll have to look into it. I still cant get my mind of a setter though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Would you consider a smaller, terrier size mongrel type dog? Iv got a westie x jack russell and shes a great family pet, great with kids, always ready to play with someone but equally happy to sleep on the couch. Doesn't take up much room in the house and costs next to nothing to feed compared to my bigger dogs. Also, if you leave home to join the army in a few years, a smaller dog will be much easier for your mother to look after, feed, walk, clean up after etc
    Another bonus with this type of dog is that there is loads of them in rescue centres or just accidental litters, so you should have no problem finding one that suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I would say maybe around the hundred euro mark? But that would be a contribution towards their stay at the shelter, neutering, micro-chipping etc, and wouldn't actually cover the entire cost.

Plenty of beautiful loving dogs in shelters across the country waiting for their forever homes. All of mine are rescue and there's none of them "wicked" ;)

Advertisement