Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can you find out if your landlord registered with the PRTB

Options
  • 13-06-2016 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Can you get this information over the phone? We are having problems with our last landlord and I cannot find the property on the PRTB public register.

Does the PRTB send out a confirmation letter when you take up tenancy as we received no confirmation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 arboroia

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your last landlord :(

The PTRB normally sends out a letter confirming registration of tenancy. They also publish all registered properties here: https://portal.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Karen91 wrote: »
    Can you get this information over the phone? We are having problems with our last landlord and I cannot find the property on the PRTB public register.

Does the PRTB send out a confirmation letter when you take up tenancy as we received no confirmation.
    Your landlord does not have to be registered and your tenancy need not be registered with the RTB, you can still open a case about your issue with your landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

arboroia wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your last landlord :(

The PTRB normally sends out a letter confirming registration of tenancy. They also publish all registered properties here: https://portal.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx

Thanks with your reply. If the property is not on the register does that mean he did not register with the PRTB or does different properties appear at different times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks with your reply. If the property is not on the register does that mean he did not register with the PRTB or does different properties appear at different times?
    the register is not always up to date. it might be registered but not showing on the register yet.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the register is not always up to date. it might be registered but not showing on the register yet.

We moved in two years ago so I presume it should be showing by now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Residential Tenancies Act 2004

132.—(1) On application by the landlord or tenant of a dwelling, the Board shall, on being supplied by the landlord or tenant with such information as it may require for the purpose of confirming the identity of the applicant concerned, provide to him or her a copy of the entry in respect of that dwelling in the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

If you were registered by the LL, you would have received a letter. If you want to make a claim though, it makes no difference whether the tenancy was registered or not, you still have rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It does not matter to you whether your landlord is registered or not as your rights are not affected.
    I had a tenant for 5 years and the registration never showed up on that list.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It does not matter to you whether your landlord is registered or not as your rights are not affected.
    I had a tenant for 5 years and the registration never showed up on that list.

Is it not illegal for a landlord to not register with the prtb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

It is a legal requirement to register. Further it is required in order to claim 75% of mortgage interest as a tax deductible expense.

However it has no effect on the tenant's rigths one way or another whether the tenancy is registers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I'm sure the poster was saying that the tenancy was registered and did not show up on the register. I doubt they would claim they were doing something illegal.

The RTB website is flawed. It's not user friendly. The register is unreliable. They've started sending out letters to those landlords who have DSP tenants letting them know that they are aware the property is let and reminding them of their responsibilities to register - while at the same time stating that the tenancy may be registered and if so to ignore the letter. They place no reliability on their own records!

I'm sure the poster was saying that the tenancy was registered and did not show up on the register. I doubt they would claim they were doing something illegal.

The RTB website is flawed. It's not user friendly. The register is unreliable. They've started sending out letters to those landlords who have DSP tenants letting them know that they are aware the property is let and reminding them of their responsibilities to register - while at the same time stating that the tenancy may be registered and if so to ignore the letter. They place no reliability on their own records!

I was not suggesting the poster did not register was just asking if it was illegal as a general question.

We moved out of the house 2 weeks ago its still vacant and I contacted the prtb asking them if it was registered they searched with our names and our address and nothing showed up. So I take it that he never registered our tenancy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We moved out of the house 2 weeks ago its still vacant and I contacted the prtb asking them if it was registered they searched with our names and our address and nothing showed up. So I take it that he never registered our tenancy?

It doesn't matter to you if he is registered or not. If you have a complaint then submit it to the RTB. If you just want to tell on him then go for it.

Advertisement