Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Maireadio wrote: »
    Nail on the head.

That's what has been bothering me; it's undignified. Just undignified. And kind of playing into the stereotypes some people abroad no doubt still hold about us.

I can get on board with what yourself and two tone are saying to an extent, even if I don't entirely agree. It's the people insisting on talking down on others at every opportunity that get me wound up

Your gimmick is sh*t - move along.

Re-read post.

Apply to self.

Good lad.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

like arsenal fans defending teryy "handbll" henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Blinding originality there.

There's no point repeating myself.

But I will reiterate on one thing; I don't believe you have never on boards.ie complained about something inconsequential.

Nope I have, but I have definitely not complained about people in another country having harmless fun, I don't see why people have a problem with it. Even if it mildly irritates someone it is so easy to just avoid it rather than being negative about something that is so positive for so many people. I'm not saying you're not entitled to moan, I just don't get why people would in this case!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Re-read post.

Apply to self.

Good lad.

WTF are you on about? He's posting random song lyrics to be wacky & totes random loike! Whereas I'm having a discussion.

• Advertisement

WTF are you on about? He's posting random son lyrics to be wacky & totes random loike! Whereas I'm having a discussion.

Posting slight variations of "everyones stupid and I'm not" isn't really having a discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Any yokes wrote: »
    We are a failed state, the world would be better off if this Island sank to the bottom of the sea.
    "We" is it? Self loathing nonsense.

low
    lie
    the fields of athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Can anyone comment as to whether other national rags are declaring their supporters the best supporters in the world or is that just the Irish media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Posting slight variations of "everyones stupid and I'm not" isn't really having a discussion.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

I can get on board with what yourself and two tone are saying to an extent, even if I don't entirely agree. It's the people insisting on talking down on others at every opportunity that get me wound up

That's not my intention. I know lots of people are just over there enjoying themselves, not looking for attention, having good craic.

But there does seem to be a sizeable minority playing into the leprechauny, desperate-for-approval, "you love me, you really love me!" stereotype. And that is what some of us find cringeworthy.

Who knows? Maybe other nations' fans are doing the same and we don't realise. It might not be unique to Ireland. I know Welsh people are generally quite "go hard or go home" too, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Any yokes

Those nasty English thugs they dont know how to support soccerball like us

Lets watch the game on big screen in the fanzone in our Capital City like every other nation taking part. Oh I forgot, the citizens of this failed state can't be trusted not to act like feral animals after 2 cans and destroy the city centre. Bold Paddy, no fanzone for you

The self proclaimed greatest fans in the world cant even be trusted not destroy their own city. Yeah English thugs rabble rabble

That's not my intention. I know lots of people are just over there enjoying themselves, not looking for attention, having good craic.

But there does seem to be a sizeable minority playing into the leprechauny, desperate-for-approval, "you love me, you really love me!" stereotype. And that is what some of us find cringeworthy.

Who knows? Maybe other nations' fans are doing the same and we don't realise. It might not be unique to Ireland. I know Welsh people are generally quite "go hard or go home" too, for example.

I know, I wasn't including you in the "talk down on others" groups.

I can understand why people would find it cringeworthy to be fair, even if I don't myself.

Those nasty English thugs they dont know how to support soccerball like us

Lets watch the game on big screen in the fanzone in our Capital City like every other nation taking part. Oh I forgot, the citizens of this failed state can't be trusted not to act like feral animals after 2 cans and destroy the city centre. Bold Paddy, no fanzone for you

The self proclaimed greatest fans in the world cant even be trusted not destroy their own city. Yeah English thugs rabble rabble

Trying way too hard. Tone it back and you might get a few bites.

mickotoole wrote: »
    Can anyone comment as to whether other national rags are declaring their supporters the best supporters in the world or is that just the Irish media?

Dance Paddy Dance!

Trying way too hard. Tone it back and you might get a few bites.

Trying way too hard, sounds a bit like , the greatest fans in the world?

Please love me! Please give me attention! Please like this post!

Well there you go, you have something in common with them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Love you Yokey!

Xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Irish fans are just versions of John Hurts character in "The Field", gurning and capering about hoping for a pat on the head and maybe a nod of praise from the Bull McCabe.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the clip of Irish and Swedish fans seeing the team busses off and then dancing together in the street. :pac: It's not all cringeworthy paddywhackery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I have yet to witness the same desperate need to be loved by any other supporters. This whole Oirish 'best supporters in the world' thing started in Euro 88.
    Back then it was incredibly muted in comparison to today. The pictures and interviews of fans having fun seemed much more spontaneous and genuine - much less forced.
    The nadir came in Poland - Delaney and a mob of drunken eejits acting like ecstatic morons every night while the team were embarrassingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

this summers christmas jumper is the novelty tricolour.
    it used to be a reindeer with a glitter red nose, now its drake dancing to hotline bling in fairy lights.

each one must be more outrageous than the other. "davey keogh says hello" replaced by " if you can't beat them bang them". incidentally you couldn't beat them....as usual.

having fun is one one thing but the irish self awareness that they are being filmed is unreal. gurning and lampooning for the fomo brigade back home, like leprechaun versions of david brent. telling the gag and then winking at the cameras.

its not enough to have the fun, oh no , you have to dance with your smartphone held aloft. generation "me's" pose ....an anthitesis to the statue of liberty.

the exact same clowns who don't go to one race meeting all year but make sure they are behind ted walsh making sex faces in an ill fitting remus uomo suit on stephens day.

banter actually breaking the 4th wall.

the self proclaimed best fans in the world only have 3 songs "shoes off for boys in green", to be replaced with "sit down for boys in green" as the mood takes.
    ole ole ole and "come on you boys in green" which incidentally most of them replace with blue should dublin reach the all ireland final ( another event for the vacuous digital scrapbook ).

man utd have really good inventive songs, liverpool and dortmund a devout proper fanatical support.

these guys are devoid of identity trapped somewhere between the shoreditch man bun and the so-cal top heavy muscle bound empty vessel.

they travel in numbers as we are an economically privileged country with the benefit of a low cost airline and a sense of entitlement. i deserve the annual leave. i have to be there.

lets see how packed the aviva is for the next game against whogivesa****-istan.

there will be a coronas concert on or an episode of the great british bake off to watch , so i hazard it will be empty. because the irish boys only show up to the big dance. they don't do the foreplay. straight to the moneyshot.

this best in the world narrative ( or crapaganda) is rammed down my throat by the masturbating irish media to the point that if you are not part of it you are a begrudger , jealous, have no life of your own and no purpose.

as far as I'm concerned you are just another emerald cloaked shill at the balls.ie gang bang .

https://twitter.com/niallharbison/status/742491365213278208 this tweet today states that nike could not have conceived an ad as impressive as the clip.

this is the same nike who currently have an ad where cristiano ronaldo falls over the advertising boards, collides,morphs into, swaps places with, and then assumes the life of a ten year old black boy.

I'm fairly sure they could ****e out on a napkin a bunch of pasty white knuckle dragging sun shine boys banging on the side of the bus.

get off the road gents. you are in the way of real people.

100 years after michael collins freed us we are self imprisoned in shamrock coloured douchebaggery.

stop the world , i want to get off.

written by the self proclaimed best ranter in the world.

Wow, you put a lot of effort into that. Why do you hate soccer so much?

LorMal wrote: »
    I have yet to witness the same desperate need to be loved by any other supporters. This whole Oirish 'best supporters in the world' thing started in Euro 88.
    Back then it was incredibly muted in comparison to today. The pictures and interviews of fans having fun seemed much more spontaneous and genuine - much less forced.
    The nadir came in Poland - Delaney and a mob of drunken eejits acting like ecstatic morons every night while the team were embarrassingly bad.

And having witnessed the amazing singing of both the Welsh and Icelandic fans, I'm not even convinced we're the best! The Icelandic fans singing their anthem tonight was so incredibly rousing.

And having witnessed the amazing singing of both the Welsh and Icelandic fans, I'm not even convinced we're the best! The Icelandic fans singing their anthem tonight was so incredibly rousing.

ooh ah paul mcgrath say ooh ah paul mcgrath

XR3i wrote: »

Too far :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I see a lot of posters on here talking about how so many Irish supporters are desperate to be seen as the best fans in the world. I've never seen anything of the sort. Any links that can enlighten me?

I see Joke.ie has an interview with Paddy X in Bordeaux

He apparently shi-t down his shorts after 3 pints, but hes happy as long as some English get battered and his Instagram vid gets 30 likes

Too far :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thing is, it's only the Irish who cringe and see the Paddywhackery. And maybe the English can see it too.

The French will just see youth who seem patriotic in a good natured way, heavy drinking (but they already know the Irish for that), but good fun, decent, and maybe yes, a bit heavy going after a while.

So fair enough, you're finding it cringey, but there is a good chance that the "you love me" attitude will actually boost French people's enthusiasm for coming over to Ireland, so it's not all that bad.

It's weird, I'm French myself, but I don't think I've ever heard or had a conversation in France with anyone who might have been ashamed of the stripey shirt, garlic necklace, beret, baguette and moustache image to the extent that Irish people are ashamed of their shamrocky image.

Stereotypes are fine sometimes, most nations on the planet surely have the intelligence to realize that they're only that, stereotypes. If they're a selling point, they really shouldn't be such a soul destroying issue.

I think a lot of countries have made their peace with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

I would have agreed in the past, Mountainsandh, but I think Irish people acting the eejit abroad is starting to tick people off, e.g. in Australia and the U.S./Canada. There wouldn't be the same droves of Irish people emigrating to France.
    I love that we, as a people, can have a great laugh and have no pretensions about us, and find humour in sombre situations and can take the piss out of each other in a good-natured way, etc - but then there is going too far and acting the public nuisance, and that truly lets us down unfortunately. I'm not talking about the Ireland supporters in France as they appear to be behaving themselves (although I'd say they make a hell of a racket at night) - I just mean in relation to how our general perception is becoming internationally.

Advertisement