Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I tell ya what I'm sick of... Apres bloody Match.

It was never that funny to begin with (but then I'm not a big fan of paddywhackery anyway) but it'a long past its sell by date at this stage IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Any yokes

So fair enough, you're finding it cringey, but there is a good chance that the "you love me" attitude will actually boost French people's enthusiasm for coming over to Ireland, so it's not all that bad.

The poor french must have no idea Ireland is the toilet of Europe. They will get a shock when they land into this kip, it makes Zimbabwe look appealing. As for the people in it, more like sheep than human beings. But as long as they rub Paddys belly give him his pork chop and can of guinness, they will have no problems

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

There seems to be quite a few variations on this, so you might have to
    tweak it so it sounds like you want it.

-6 -6 6 -5 -4 -4
    Hey, ho, the rattlin' bog,
    -4 4 -5 -5 6 -6 6 6
    The bog down in the valley-o.
    -6 -6 6 -5 -4 -4
    Hey, ho, the rattlin' bog,
    -4 4 7 7 -6 6 -5 -5
    The bog down in the valley-o.

-5 -6 -6 6 6 -5 -6 -5 6
    Now on that feather there was a bug,
    -5 -6 7 -6 -6 6 6
    A rare bug, a rattlin' bug,
    -5 -5 -6 -5 -5 6 6
    And the bug on the feather,
    -5 -5 -6 -6 -5 -5 6
    And the feather on the bird,
    -5 -5 -6 -5 -5 6
    And the bird in the nest,
    -5 -5 -6 -5 -5 6
    And the nest on the twig,
    -5 -5 -6 -5 -5 6
    And the twig on the branch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Two Tone wrote: »
    I would have agreed in the past, Mountainsandh, but I think Irish people acting the eejit abroad is starting to tick people off, e.g. in Australia and the U.S./Canada. There wouldn't be the same droves of Irish people emigrating to France.
    I love that we, as a people, can have a great laugh and have no pretensions about us, and find humour in sombre situations and can take the piss out of each other in a good-natured way, etc - but then there is going too far and acting the public nuisance, and that truly lets us down unfortunately. I'm not talking about the Ireland supporters in France as they appear to be behaving themselves (although I'd say they make a hell of a racket at night) - I just mean in relation to how our general perception is becoming internationally.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but that's mostly English speaking countries, and like you said, it doesn't really apply here in this situation. What you're saying is more in relation to emigration, and to be honest, I think it is diluted enough in Europe that there's generally no issue with the Irish getting a bad reputation. Certainly, most people in France are well aware that the Irish drink heavily, but we had the same image of the Irish in the 90s when I was in college.

I know I have 3 young nephews (from 15 yo to 23) who certainly won't get a chance to get sick and tired of the Oirish banter. They'll just think the Irish are brilliant for harmless craic.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but that's mostly English speaking countries, and like you said, it doesn't really apply here in this situation. What you're saying is more in relation to emigration, and to be honest, I think it is diluted enough in Europe that there's generally no issue with the Irish getting a bad reputation. Certainly, most people in France are well aware that the Irish drink heavily, but we had the same image of the Irish in the 90s when I was in college.

I know I have 3 young nephews (from 15 yo to 23) who certainly won't get a chance to get sick and tired of the Oirish banter. They'll just think the Irish are brilliant for harmless craic.

chill out man, you don;t need to apologize for your football team cheating to get to the world cup

it;s water under the bridge

best of luck in t eeuros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

XR3i wrote: »
    chill out man, you don;t need to apologize for your football team cheating to get to the world cup

it;s water under the bridge

best of luck in t eeuros

:D

You are seriously talking to the most uninterested French female in the land of Ireland, and quite possibly spanning over France too.

I mean, seriously.

"I was blissfully unaware, playing Irish trad music in a session somewhere in Ireland when the French were winning" kind of uninterested.

The kind that when Irish people say : "Good one last night, pity about the penalty" I go in a minions "whahhh ?" mode.

:D

You are seriously talking to the most uninterested French female in the land of Ireland, and quite possibly spanning over France too.

I mean, seriously.

"I was blissfully unaware, playing Irish trad music in a session somewhere in Ireland when the French were winning" kind of uninterested.

The kind that when Irish people say : "Good one last night, pity about the penalty" I go in a minions "whahhh ?" mode.

d'accord :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The self loathing on this site really is something else at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The media over do it sometimes in their coverage but I'd rather have it, warts and all. Football is a broad church and it contains a lot of people of many different stripes and as irritatingly banterrific as it can get, I'll still rather have it over the anodyne corporate Rugby fakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Best fans in the world me arse, god I cringe every time I see Irish people desperately trying be "mad lads" in front of foreigners.

How come all these clowns act the same, dress the same, talk the same etc... Whatever happened to individualism, are they that devoid of a sense of personal identity that self worth is only attained when acting like the collective?

This quote from Arthur Schopenhauer springs to mind:
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Any yokes wrote: »
    I see Joke.ie has an interview with Paddy X in Bordeaux

He apparently shi-t down his shorts after 3 pints, but hes happy as long as some English get battered and his Instagram vid gets 30 likes

This reveling at the thought of English fellas getting the sh1t kicked out of them by Russian scum is pretty nasty alright.

They might not be so welcome over there anymore they next time they make the trip to Anfield or Old Trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

This reveling at the thought of English fellas getting the sh1t kicked out of them by Russian scum is pretty nasty alright.
    People liking the idea of hooligans getting the **** kicked out of them is hardly nasty - not that I like the idea of anyone getting the **** kicked out of them, but it's silly to pretend they're innocent and that they would not share the same glee themselves over others getting the **** kicked out of them.
    They might not be so welcome over anymore they next time they make the trip to Anfield or Old Trafford.
    If security at Anfield or Old Trafford know it's them.

They might not be so welcome over there anymore they next time they make the trip to Anfield or Old Trafford.

Paddy thinks the "English are scum" and their fans all deserve to assaulted with weapons by psycho Russians. But he cant see the irony in living in London or wearing his Liverpool jersey to training

"**** the English" Paddy says, just let me have their jobs money and football teams

Two Tone wrote: »
    People liking the idea of hooligans getting the **** kicked out of them is hardly nasty - not that I like the idea of anyone getting the **** kicked out of them, but it's silly to pretend they're innocent and that they would not share the same glee themselves over others getting the **** kicked out of them.

If security at Anfield or Old Trafford know it's them.

Nonsense, innocent English fans were mostly getting targetted. One man minding his business was half beaten to death with Iron bars by Russians and only for Police doing CPR he didnt die, now has brain damage and is in a coma. The video is even on youtube and pics in the media

But the Joe.ie brigade all had a good laugh and say he deserved it cos hes English. Fckwits will fly over to Old Trafford and curse the English at the same time, I know sound English lads who arent too happy reading some of the filth online from the Joe.ie Ole Ole greatest fans ever

Nonsense, innocent English fans were mostly getting targetted. One man minding his business was half beaten to death with Iron bars by Russians and only for Police doing CPR he didnt die, now has brain damage and is in a coma. The video is even on youtube and pics in the media

But the Joe.ie brigade all had a good laugh and say he deserved it cos hes English. Fckwits will fly over to Old Trafford and curse the English at the same time, I know sound English lads who arent too happy reading some of the filth online from the Joe.ie Ole Ole greatest fans ever
    Ok well I agree there - I was only referring to the England supporters who are being violent twits also.

The Irish are the opposite of the master race. Really the ugliest people in the world

No wonder Sarah Annabelle loves cosmetic surgery and Brown Thomas, she looks like Miss Piggy after a bottle of brandy. Shes taken 100 vacuous selfies but has finally got one to put on Instagram. Shes trying to bag a rich husband, Paddy in France whos one of the greatest fans in the world. He cant believe the French moths arent interested. He needs 10 pints to approach and thought they would like the smell of garlic from his breath. He can't believe his gym selfies, sunbeds and bandana from Forbidden Fruit have failed him. What went wrong he asks could it be my incredibly dull personality. No way he says, I'm one of the greatest fans in the world, time to sink 10 more pints

Ole Ole Ole Ole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The Irish are the opposite of the master race. Really the ugliest people in the world

No wonder Sarah Annabelle loves cosmetic surgery and Brown Thomas, she looks like Miss Piggy after a bottle of brandy. Shes taken 100 vacuous selfies but has finally got one to put on Instagram. Shes trying to bag a rich husband, Paddy in France whos one of the greatest fans in the world. He cant believe the French moths arent interested. He needs 10 pints to approach and thought they would like the smell of garlic from his breath. He can't believe his gym selfies, sunbeds and bandana from Forbidden Fruit have failed him. What went wrong he asks could it be my incredibly dull personality. No way he says, I'm one of the greatest fans in the world, time to sink 10 more pints

Ole Ole Ole Ole

I was getting worried there, you were getting dangerously close to reasonable for a few posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Ole Ole Ole Ole

Hahahahahahahaah, so legit btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The English national team is only marginally less unpopular than Man Utd on Merseyside.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1YU9sDpQQ1g

Mec27 wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahaah, so legit btw.
    He shouldn't be so harsh on himself by calling himself one of the ugliest people in the world though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ole Ole Ole Ole

Ah man don't hold back, tell us what you really feel! Spitting straight fire there! Some of these posts are mental but you have to love the conviction and sheer vitriol in them. Keep it up, entertains the life out of me ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Shurrup you, I'm a ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's not necessarily a criticism of the people themselves as the media outlets that keep showing us footage under titles like, Look what amazing thing Irish fans are doing.

Agree with this, its mainly a media led thing. Here's an article from balls
    In Ireland there aren’t many things that we like more than being considered generally great craic, particularly when it’s other countries making that claim.

The delightfully hip Vice Sports, or rather the German version of the website, has sat up and taken notice of the Irish travelling support in France and, more specifically, the '**** Euros Flags' which will be displayed with 'honour' throughout Ireland's participation in the tournament (and probably long after we're gone, if we're being honest).

You may recall that during our abject failure at the last Euros, German fans referred to us as 'the European Champions of the Heart' and, while that's all well and good, we'd probably still prefer to be the European Champions at football. Either way the Germans seem to have forgotten/never really cared what Shane Long did for German/Irish relations in the Aviva last October.

that's pretty cringworthy tbh. I've no problems with fans enjoying themselves but the media spin the narrative into 'schure aren't we just great, give us a pat on the head'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Maireadio wrote: »
    Shurrup you, I'm a ride.

Pics please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Suas11 wrote: »
    Wow, you put a lot of effort into that. Why do you hate soccer so much?

Comprehension fail.

Not a bad word said about the sport of soccer in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Best fans in the world(tm)

flas wrote: »

Best fans in the world™

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Irish_rat wrote: »
    flas wrote: »

Best fans in the world
    I like the Spanish and Italians. Genuinely deserve the crown more.

Advertisement