Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Alot of bitter people on their barstools in here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

I don't see the harm in it. And it shows up the Russian and English d*ckery even more harshly. Revelation: you don't need to kick someone's head in to have a good time.

The only thing I would ban the Irish fans from doing is singing the &*%$£$!! Fields of Athenry, because I hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Dempsey wrote: »
    Alot of bitter people on their barstools in here

Nope, in our armchairs working on our ass groves. Now all I need is four beers and my conversation hat.
    storker wrote: »
    Revelation: you don't need to kick someone's head in to have a good time.

I'm... fairly sure that fans of all the participating countries (inc. the nations with a minority of troublemakers) know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Some joker on the radio yesterday giving out about supporters on the dole skiving off to the Euros while he works 60 hours a week to put food on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Amazing how the Irish wreck Australia when they go there and they are the best behaved in the world supporting soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Irish fans are nowhere near the best fans in the World. They might be the best event junkies in the world. There are obviously some genuine fans, but the vast majority are not and really don't give a crap about how the team does, they are just there for the session, which is fair enough, but should not be confused with being a genuine fan.

The best example of this was in Poland at the last European championships when Irish fans were congratulating themselves for singing in spite of being 4-0 down and having performed abysmally in that tournament.
    Where was the hurt and disappointment?
    I was in Croke Park in 2012 for the All-Ireland semi-final when Kilkenny hammered Tipp. There weren't any Tipp fans singing during the second half of that game. All I saw was anger, hurt and disappointment. There was hardly a word said in the pubs afterwards or a smile raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You wouldnt have been much of a fan if it took you until the 3rd game with Spain to realize that things were going badly!

Were fans suppose to starting pouting when spain ripped apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Dempsey wrote: »
    You wouldnt have been much of a fan if it took you until the 3rd game with Spain to realize that things were going badly!

Were fans suppose to starting pouting when spain ripped apart?

The performance would have annoyed me if I gave a damn about the soccer team. But I don't so I would have happily joined in the singing had I been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

If everybody that hates Irish people could just leave Ireland, that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The tabloids are going a bit ott with their 'best fans in the world' carry on.

A sample from today Irish Mirror website.

"Irish fan loses ticket to Sweden game moments after saving man's life - but what happened next is unreal"

"Euro 2016: Bordeaux the new home for partying Green Army"

"Republic of Ireland fans at Euro 2016 hijack live Hungarian TV report in truly epic style"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Amazing how the Irish wreck Australia when they go there and they are the best behaved in the world supporting soccer.

Sure tis all the GAA lads doing the damage down in Oz.
    You know it's them from their County jerseys and their club jerseys, heaven forbid someone doesn't know they play for Ballybofin's 6th team.

:pac:

If everybody that hates Irish people could just leave Ireland, that would be great.

So... nobody on this thread then?

Criticising a handful of Irish people =/= hating Irish people.

But you knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"Partying Irish fans solve Israeli Palestinian conflict over a sing song"

Maireadio wrote: »
    So... nobody on this thread then?

Criticising a handful of Irish people =/= hating Irish people.

But you knew that.

Ok, well if the snobs on this thread could just leave, that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

we have succumbed to ennui as the paddybantz brigade has reached its nadir.

hopefully this "fan" version of xfactor phenomenon will be cast into room 101 along with movember, ice bucket challenge, no make up selfie and poppy wearing via peer pressure .

Ok, well if the snobs on this thread could just leave, that would be great.

Nah, it's a discussion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 FrackBalls

Watch this charming video of Irish fans serenading a nun on a train.

No thanks, I have to go and punch myself in the face instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So the irish are the best fans in the world because their not causing trouble and having the craic :confused:

but isn't thats what they're suppose to do anyway, no different from the Swedes, Icelandic, Spanish, Portuguese, Welsh etc etc

all this self-backslapping is getting nauseating

Nah, it's a discussion.

Come off it. Every Irish football fan is being portrayed as a dumb cnut.

Come off it. Every Irish football fan is being portrayed as a dumb cnut.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

A lot of Irish people seem to want Ireland to be a Joe.ie article come to life.

"Watch this Irish Mammy help her Junior B hurler son prepare for the Euros whilst drinking tea and having the banter with the parish priest!"

Tags: #COYBIG2016 #whambars #latelatetoyshow #bantz #craic #GAA #notoriousMMA #pints?!? #g'wanthelads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The nationalist schadenfreude here about Russians getting stuck into the English is misguided.

Football casuals/hooliganism in England is largely underground now and hardly ever in the grounds. The English, from Thatcher onward, have relatively stamped it out. You can get jail time for specific hooliganism charges unlike a lot of other countries.

In addition, a couple of thousand of the worst English football hooligans have to surrender their passports when England play in a major tournament. That's why you're seeing relatively one-sided violence: Russians targeting your normal beer monster type football tourists and innocent supporters.

Hooliganism in East Europe, on the other hand, has really taken off, ironically for generations brought up on the English hooligan culture of the 80s. Importantly, as well, the authorities there haven't stamped on it on it all. Witness the fact that a Russian minster publicly praised their hooligans and the leader of their ultras actually traveled to France with the official Russian football delegation. It's also quite common for political factions to court ultras/hooligans in that part of Europe as quasi-militia muscle.

It's been a long time since we've seen a charge against a family section in a stadium at a major tournament a-la Russia/England game. And if the stadium was in worse condition, we could have witnessed another Heysel incident.

So with all that in mind, Irish (and other 'neutral' nationalities) thinking that we will always be in some way immune to these nutters when abroad because we're wearing leprechaun hats, changing tyres and carrying inflatable hammers...

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Why on earth would someone be moaning about irish fans going off to the euros and enjoying their lives?

Sad sad people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Any yokes wrote: »
    The team, media and manager love the fans

They are a distraction from how pathetic we are as a side and a nation. I suppose we should be dancing round O'Connell St that Glen Whelan knocked the ball out of play instead of making an attack in the 92nd minute, all so he could scratch his bollox. Lets all celebrate and drink 10 pints because we drew with another average team of millionaires

We are a failed state, the world would be better off if this Island sank to the bottom of the sea. Then again they would have nobody to laugh at and pat on the head. It's great for them to have drunk Paddy dance around like a monkey for them, while they snigger to their mates behind his back. They must all get a good laugh out of us. And as long as Paddy gets attention and his desperate need to feel loved, he is very happy indeed. Please rub his belly and throw him a bone, before he comes back to his owner wagging his tail in delight

I'd say the booze is kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

storker wrote: »
    The only thing I would ban the Irish fans from doing is singing the &*%$£$!! Fields of Athenry, because I hate it.
    I heard that, they were singing "Fields of Anfield Road" but with their own, made up alternative lyrics. Bloody plagiarism!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Over in France at the moment and needed a break from rolling over to let the locals tickle my belly so logged in here.

Having travelled abroad to watch Ireland on numerous occasions I can say the only time I hear bad words against travelling fans are when I open threads like this.

As long as we're greeted with a smile and a welcome wherever we go the opinion of anonymous internet whingers matters not one iota.

Owner of a bar we were in in St Denis told us he wouldn't even open for the next game - Poland v Germany. I'd much rather be seen as a drunken simpleton than feared so much that local businesses would forego a boost to their coffers.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

I see Irish fans. I know 5 lads over there. None are even on social media, let alone sticking up bloody hash tags or Instagram videos. I think some people are just jealous. They try to reaffirm their superiority over football fans by painting them all like gobdaws.

Collie D wrote: »
    .... I can say the only time I hear bad words against travelling fans are when I open threads like this.

The people who you are throwing fistfuls of money at think you are great? :eek:

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The people who you are throwing fistfuls of money at think you are great? :eek:

What about Russian and English money?

• Advertisement

What about Russian and English money?

No one spends money in pubs like Paddy.

Advertisement