Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Why on earth would someone be moaning about irish fans going off to the euros and enjoying their lives?

Sad sad people.

I think some of it is begrudgery but there is definitely some deserved annoyance among fans who go to most games week in and week out and don't get any talking up yet these guys do it once a decade on the p*ss and are the second coming. Meanwhile clubs here go to the wall e.g. Monaghan Utd in 2012 while Delaney sang and danced and Athlone now look done.

This pic sums up what they're feeling.

https://comeheretome.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/521340_10151053018328829_686182787_n-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Why on earth would someone be moaning about irish fans going off to the euros and enjoying their lives?

Sad sad people.

Who's moaning, it's just the constant glorifying of them in the media is getting embarassing. The big news yesterday was a group of fans changing a flat wheel for an old French couple, hardly breaking news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It's very cringey to be honest. I'm not interested in the circle jerk. We've all seen what Irish people are like with a few drinks in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Fooking prix the lot of them. Over there, having a good time, behaving themselves, spending money, supporting the footballers. Waankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Who's moaning, it's just the constant glorifying of them in the media is getting embarassing. The big news yesterday was a group of fans changing a flat wheel for an old French couple, hardly breaking news.

where are you seeing all this 'big news'? I've watched every single match in this tournament and have literally seen none of this

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

And I am sure those lads did not do it as a photo opportunity...I'm not here to get my picture in the paper and would imagine I'm not alone. The cameras won't be on us when we're in Serbia and Moldova in a couple of months but we'll still enjoy ourselves, still cheer on the team and still have a few beers...there'll just be less of us.

Lighten up ffs, the sight of others having fun really shouldn't worry you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Any yokes wrote: »
    Nonsense, innocent English fans were mostly getting targetted. One man minding his business was half beaten to death with Iron bars by Russians and only for Police doing CPR he didnt die, now has brain damage and is in a coma. The video is even on youtube and pics in the media

But the Joe.ie brigade all had a good laugh and say he deserved it cos hes English. Fckwits will fly over to Old Trafford and curse the English at the same time, I know sound English lads who arent too happy reading some of the filth online from the Joe.ie Ole Ole greatest fans ever

There probably wouldn't have been any animosity between the Russians and the English were it not for the insulting campaign of demonising Russia at every turn over the course of the last year or two. Secretly the British government is delighted at the thought of further vilifying Putin and all things Russian just to steer their NATO agenda.
    Russians are proud of their country and don't take kindly to cowardly insults from pampered Westerners. Was there trouble from Russian fans in previous tournaments? I can't ever remember any. I can only ever remember the English being the ones who caused all the trouble at Euros and at World Cups....Mexico '86 when they attacked Argentina fans, Italia 90, Dublin 95, France 98, Euro 2000 when they ran riot in Amsterdam and Charleroi, etc, etc.
    Now I'm not defending the actions of these Russian thugs but you'd have to be a fool not to see what prompted such animosity.
    If the English get so uppity about wars they fought in decades ago they ought not to be surprised at the Russians being spiteful over a campaign of threats and insults that's going on right now.

Winterlong wrote: »
    The tabloids are going a bit ott with their 'best fans in the world' carry on.

A sample from today Irish Mirror website.

"Irish fan loses ticket to Sweden game moments after saving man's life - but what happened next is unreal"

"Euro 2016: Bordeaux the new home for partying Green Army"

"Republic of Ireland fans at Euro 2016 hijack live Hungarian TV report in truly epic style"

Yeah, I read that story about the replacement ticket but what got to me was how little was needed to buy another ticket. So he loses his ticket but needs four blokes to club in to raise a miserable 50 euros which is all that was needed to buy a new ticket?

lawlolawl wrote: »
    No one spends money in pubs like Paddy.

The English do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

HensVassal wrote: »
    There probably wouldn't have been any animosity between the Russians and the English were it not for the insulting campaign of demonising Russia at every turn over the course of the last year or two.

The reason that Russia are doing this is football-based: it's a football hooliganism rankings scuffle.

Plus you're on pretty dodgy ground if you're advancing a macro-political justification for personal violence. Does that mean I can go over and start glassing English people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

HensVassal wrote: »
    The English do.
    That ends up being undone when they decide to wreck the place; or be attacked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

We give out about the Brits due to their bluster and we have turned out just as bad.

I'll never understand why we so desperately need the world to like us. It's pitiful. Oh please, pretty please think we are good fans...

Some celebrity comes to Dublin and they are constantly asked if they love ireland. Ah cop on ffs.

We don't need outside affirmation to be a great country

The reason that Russia are doing this is football-based: it's a football hooliganism rankings scuffle.

Plus you're on pretty dodgy ground if you're advancing a macro-political justification for personal violence. Does that mean I can go over and start glassing English people?
    I'd have to agree. Russian football is full of racist hooligans. It's just not really seen as a problem over there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Collie D wrote: »
    Over in France at the moment and needed a break from rolling over to let the locals tickle my belly so logged in here.

Having travelled abroad to watch Ireland on numerous occasions I can say the only time I hear bad words against travelling fans are when I open threads like this.

As long as we're greeted with a smile and a welcome wherever we go the opinion of anonymous internet whingers matters not one iota.

Owner of a bar we were in in St Denis told us he wouldn't even open for the next game - Poland v Germany. I'd much rather be seen as a drunken simpleton than feared so much that local businesses would forego a boost to their coffers.

We are not the only good natured, fun people there though, the way people are talking you would swear we are a shining light in an otherwise tournament full of uncivilized brutes hellebent on causing carnage and damage. As has been said already, Spanish, Icelandic, Swedes etc, they have been fine and equally in good spirits, but all I keep hearing is 'we' are 'nothing like the english' our whole image is based on this antithesis of what a small proportion of English are doing.

And I am sure those lads did not do it as a photo opportunity...I'm not here to get my picture in the paper and would imagine I'm not alone. The cameras won't be on us when we're in Serbia and Moldova in a couple of months but we'll still enjoy ourselves, still cheer on the team and still have a few beers...there'll just be less of us.

2 were changing the tyre and 3 standing recording it on their phones. Really think that wouldn't have gone up on Facebook?!?!?

CaraMay wrote: »
    We give out about the Brits due to their bluster and we have turned out just as bad.

I'll never understand why we so desperately need the world to like us. It's pitiful. Oh please, pretty please think we are good fans...

Some celebrity comes to Dublin and they are constantly asked if they love ireland. Ah cop on ffs.

We don't need outside affirmation to be a great country
    Fans are out having a good time. I very much doubt they care what the rest of the world thinks.

armaghlad wrote: »
    Fans are out having a good time. I very much doubt they care what the rest of the world thinks.

Exactly it's the Irish media and the gimps clapping them on here from behind their keyboard. I just don't see why we need people to like us so much. What's it like in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

No problem with their antics but superfans they are not. Superfan would imo be someone that supported Irish football all year round and not once every 4 years and a couple of games in between. Our league is a shambles, all the money going to sky or prem clubs people travelling to see English clubs.

Super Bandwagoners and no i'm not bitter I didn't go.

Exactly it's the Irish media and the gimps clapping them on here from behind their keyboard. I just don't see why we need people to like us so much. What's it like in NI?
    Who cares? The only people complaining are gimps behind key boards. It's the age of social media so this stuff gets relayed more and more compared to say 2002, 90, 88 etc. Said gimps then get this notion that it's all a big show by the Irish fans craving attention when in reality everyone has smart phones and if something fun, jovial or out of the ordinary haopens it's gonna get videoed.

It doesn't worry me in the slightest.

• Advertisement

You just don't get it.

It's the media and keyboard warriors posting the videos saying oh aren't we the best ... It's just pathetic. We shouldn't care what the world thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

You just don't get it.

It's the media and keyboard warriors posting the videos saying oh aren't we the best ... It's just pathetic. We shouldn't care what the world thinks

But then why do you care what the media and keyboard warriors think?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You just don't get it.

What about the keyboard warriors on here showing begrudgery is alive and well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

That video of some lads singing and dancing to a Westlife song was cringe beyond belief

Grown men actually singing f*cking Westlife songs ffs!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Bored of it? Never bought into it in the first place!

Jayop wrote: »
    What about the keyboard warriors on here showing begrudgery is alive and well?

When all else fails bring out the old begrudgery line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

When all else fails bring out the old begrudgery line.

By and large that's all it is though. Fup me on this very page there's someone critical of them for dancing to westlife. Begrudgery. There's been people critical of them changing a tyre, begrudgery.

I'd agree with some of the criticism like the singing to the nun die but by and large all you're seeing is people having fun with posting videos to their own social media like people do all the time and because of the number of people sharing them it's being seen by everyone.

Leeds fans got hammered in Istanbul some years ago because they waved their dicks at Turkish women and desecrated a Turkish flag. That is a massive national insult. The same thing happened in Dublin when a bunch of bigots who like to burn tricolurs up North decided they would then tramp through the streets of the capital in their pantomime costumes. I never said it was justified but it's not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    No problem with their antics but superfans they are not. Superfan would imo be someone that supported Irish football all year round and not once every 4 years and a couple of games in between. Our league is a shambles, all the money going to sky or prem clubs people travelling to see English clubs.

Super Bandwagoners and no i'm not bitter I didn't go.

People don't have to support their country the exact same way you do. Irish fans going off to support their country and having the time of their lives while doing so while you're on your keyboard moaning about it on an Internet forum. Sad.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    By and large that's all it is though. Fup me on this very page there's someone critical of them for dancing to westlife. Begrudgery. There's been people critical of them changing a tyre, begrudgery.

I'd agree with some of the criticism like the singing to the nun die but by and large all you're seeing is people having fun with posting videos to their own social media like people do all the time and because of the number of people sharing them it's being seen by everyone.
    Do you know what begrudge means? Anyone can dance to westlife also I changed a flat wheel for a motorist last week I didn't get someone to make a video of it and put it online for praise.

This is typical of the nonsense that make our daily papers
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/ireland-fans-are-making-our-work-very-very-easy-top-policeman-praises-fans-in-france-34792590.html

The old saying comes to mind self praise is no praise.

Advertisement