Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

lawlolawl wrote: »
    A lot of Irish people seem to want Ireland to be a Joe.ie article come to life.

"Watch this Irish Mammy help her Junior B hurler son prepare for the Euros whilst drinking tea and having the banter with the parish priest!"

Tags: #COYBIG2016 #whambars #latelatetoyshow #bantz #craic #GAA #notoriousMMA #pints?!? #g'wanthelads

#whambars

Brilliant. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So tell me how come you don't ignore the wasted rotten lemons instead of whinging about them on here?

It's kind of impossible to ignore the Irish fans are the greatest fiasco, every paper and radio station are harping on about it even the RTE news go on about it.

Yeah its totally impossible all right, so impossible I've managed to do it

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I remember when this tournament was good, 8 teams with high quality football. They diluted the quality with 16 teams but then 24 teams is a joke of a tournament, i'm not going to look at it until the quarter finals.

Collie D wrote: »
    I'd much rather be seen as a drunken simpleton than feared so much that local businesses would forego a boost to their coffers.

These are our options?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Any yokes wrote: »
    Yeah as far as Im concerned if a Man brutally stabs 2 people to death over a Flag, he is a savage. I think most sane people would agree with that. Go on justify it some more why 2 families lives were destroyed, because some subhuman scum cant control himself.

You hate the English just admit it, how a fellow football fan can justify the Leeds murders beggars belief. Maybe they should have took a diversity class before visiting Turkey. Those poor Turkish the Nasty English belittled their flag. Oh theyre Muslims they must be the victims woe is me, we're oppressed wa wa wa. Take your head out from wherever it is. 2 Fans killed over **** all, stop justifying it because of your warped Politics

You're a real piece of work, you know that. Stamp your feet in outrage and dig your hole deeper and deeper and try to accuse me of justifying murders. Then throw a few more fits and brain farts and the infantile "wa wa" nonsense.

Go back through the posts and find where I justified the murder and when you can't find it, then retract it, ok?

Why do you insist on saying that I am justifying the guys getting stabbed? And then you go and try to bring emotion into it talking about the "shattered lives" of their families in a shabby attempt at tugging on heart strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

robbiezero wrote: »
    Irish fans are nowhere near the best fans in the World. They might be the best event junkies in the world. There are obviously some genuine fans, but the vast majority are not and really don't give a crap about how the team does, they are just there for the session, which is fair enough, but should not be confused with being a genuine fan.

The best example of this was in Poland at the last European championships when Irish fans were congratulating themselves for singing in spite of being 4-0 down and having performed abysmally in that tournament.
    Where was the hurt and disappointment?

I was in Croke Park in 2012 for the All-Ireland semi-final when Kilkenny hammered Tipp. There weren't any Tipp fans singing during the second half of that game. All I saw was anger, hurt and disappointment. There was hardly a word said in the pubs afterwards or a smile raised.

I couldn't disagree more with this. You seem to think that in order to be a 'genuine fan' you must go to a pub and look sorry and disappointed for your loss. There is nothing wrong with being dissappointed but also singing to get behind your team. Case in point- was at an Argentina Brazil game which Argentina lost 3-1 at home. Every time the Brazilians scored the Argentinians reacted by singing even louder in support of their team. Flick to 5m47s and you'll see what genuine fans are really made of

Our fans did the exact same in 2012 when we were 4-0. They got behind the team no matter what and I think thats admirable. Its certainly much better than some in the GAA crowd who think going to a pub and crying into pints makes you a 'genuine fan'

"Partying Irish fans solve Israeli Palestinian conflict over a sing song"

'Partying Irish fans save a beached whale at half time before the after party solves climate change'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Joe.ie must be making a fortune

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Why is poor old Nandos always thrown into these discussions about lad bible type behaviour?! I love Nandos! Leave it alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ok, there's a chance the media might be going overboard with it now.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ok, there's a chance the media might be going overboard with it now.

Ya think so??

http://www.dailyedge.ie/irish-fans/news/

I'm not going to open that but why are you reading the daily edge while simultaneously whinging about lad fan banter in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Daily Edge are knobs. Quite right. Endless lists about why certain places are the greatest. And providing a link to that article will get it a lot of clicks ensuring they continue putting that crap on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I love this point the best.

8. Honestly, we’re putting everyone else to shame.

lertsnim wrote: »
    The Daily Edge are knobs. Quite right. Endless lists about why certain places are the greatest. And providing a link to that article will get it a lot of clicks ensuring they continue putting that crap on the internet.

Do the people who write those lists and ridiculous articles actually get paid? I can only think they're journalism students or interns?

Mec27 wrote: »
    We are not the only good natured, fun people there though, the way people are talking you would swear we are a shining light in an otherwise tournament full of uncivilized brutes hellebent on causing carnage and damage. As has been said already, Spanish, Icelandic, Swedes etc, they have been fine and equally in good spirits, but all I keep hearing is 'we' are 'nothing like the english' our whole image is based on this antithesis of what a small proportion of English are doing.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Do the people who write those lists and ridiculous articles actually get paid? I can only think they're journalism students or interns?

I hope they're not being paid for it. Any journalism student writing that crap should give up and find a new career path.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They get paid a (very) basic wage and then their bonus is based on how many clicks the articles they wrote got. More click=more ads displayed=more revenue.
    Which is why the headline is often click bait, each individual writer needs to reel you in with clicks so they can get their bonus and the site can display more ads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Why is eę poor old Nandos always thrown into these discussions about lad bible type behaviour?! I love Nandos! Leave it alone!

Because its a english chav or banter lad thing
    Irish people turning into them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Has the craic waned? Probably peaked in Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Mec27 wrote: »
    Has the craic waned? Probably peaked in Paris.

We need Met Eireann to start a daily craic forecast.

Someone start a petition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They get paid a (very) basic wage and then their bonus is based on how many clicks the articles they wrote got. More click=more ads displayed=more revenue.
    Which is why the headline is often click bait, each individual writer needs to reel you in with clicks so they can get their bonus and the site can display more ads.

I never knew that - it makes perfect sense. Its a pity journalism has had to morph to that extent to survive as a profession. I don't blame the individual journalists - they have to eat - but it seems a bit distasteful as a means of disseminating news.

Best avoided in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Why is poor old Nandos always thrown into these discussions about lad bible type behaviour?! I love Nandos! Leave it alone!

kfc for people who can use cutlery.

then home for a netflix and chill.

Jayop wrote: »
    By and large that's all it is though. Fup me on this very page there's someone critical of them for dancing to westlife. Begrudgery. There's been people critical of them changing a tyre, begrudgery.

I'd agree with some of the criticism like the singing to the nun die but by and large all you're seeing is people having fun with posting videos to their own social media like people do all the time and because of the number of people sharing them it's being seen by everyone.

Most people have their FB locked down for friends. You need to make a conscious effort to have something you post on it to be shared as if you have 'Friends Only' privacy settings, people sharing it can only share it with mutual friends. So I think a lot of the stuff that's out there had a conscious effort put into getting it seen.

bigpink wrote: »
    Why is e poor old Nandos always thrown into these discussions about lad bible type behaviour?! I love Nandos! Leave it alone!

Because its a english chav or banter lad thing
    Irish people turning into them

We're not turning into them all of a sudden though, were probably the culture most akin to theirs whether you like it or not! We watch coronation st ffs!!
    And nandos is Portuguese via South Africa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Maireadio wrote: »
    These are our options?

You know that's not what I meant. I gave two extremes. I'm neither but if given the option I know which I'd prefer.

Change the channel or turn the page. Can't believe I even need to say this. Going to away games is a pastime of mine...I'm not going to justify it. Have called enough favours in to get the month off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I'm surprised WF hasn't caught onto this obsession with patting ourselves on the back.

Why do football fans do that stupid dance, like they're alternating **** off 2 giant cocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Any yokes

Despite all my supposed mean spiritedness and soapboxing in this thread I will say I hope all the Irish fans over in France enjoy the Euros and most importantly get home safe. And the others too.

PEACE

xx

youtube.com/watch?v=dsVkUAsoAPo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Any yokes wrote: »
    Despite all my supposed mean spiritedness and soapboxing in this thread I will say I hope all the Irish fans over in France enjoy the Euros and most importantly get home safe. And the others too.

PEACE

xx

youtube.com/watch?v=dsVkUAsoAPo

Love you Yokey!

Xxx

Advertisement