Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

So, are we all in agreement with the term "Banter Lads" as a descriptor now?

Hipsters seem to be dying out a bit now so i'm thinking this is the new thing that every young-ish person wants to be for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more with this. You seem to think that in order to be a 'genuine fan' you must go to a pub and look sorry and disappointed for your loss. There is nothing wrong with being dissappointed but also singing to get behind your team. Case in point- was at an Argentina Brazil game which Argentina lost 3-1 at home. Every time the Brazilians scored the Argentinians reacted by singing even louder in support of their team. Flick to 5m47s and you'll see what genuine fans are really made of

Our fans did the exact same in 2012 when we were 4-0. They got behind the team no matter what and I think thats admirable. Its certainly much better than some in the GAA crowd who think going to a pub and crying into pints makes you a 'genuine fan'

'Partying Irish fans save a beached whale at half time before the after party solves climate change'

Let's not forget these great fans wouldn't walk across the road to watch domestic Irish football or how many of them go to Ireland games home and away on a regular basis, event junkies is apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

LorMal wrote: »
    I never knew that - it makes perfect sense. Its a pity journalism has had to morph to that extent to survive as a profession. I don't blame the individual journalists - they have to eat - but it seems a bit distasteful as a means of disseminating news.

Best avoided in future.

Yeah it is a pity but on the other side sites like dailyedge, balls and joe will say they don't claim to be news outlets in the traditional sense. Nor do they have journalists, they employ 'content creators'. These types of websites are whats called 'info-tainment' which is taking the current news and giving it an entertaining slant.

Then they apply the clickbait headline which means using superlatives and sensationalism along the lines of "This is the best dance move you've never seen". Chances are it isn't but that doesn't matter because you've already clicked and they've served you up two or three ads on the page.

I think if things keep heading this direction down the line the only way to get quality journalism online will be to pay for it. As has been said 'if somethings free then you're the product'

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

Looks class in fairness. What a chant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

The English chanted that at the 06 world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Collie D wrote: »
    You know that's not what I meant. I gave two extremes. I'm neither but if given the option I know which I'd prefer.

Change the channel or turn the page. Can't believe I even need to say this. Going to away games is a pastime of mine...I'm not going to justify it. Have called enough favours in to get the month off.

Then don't make the same hackneyed point as others in this thread! People criticise things. We all do it. Everyone of us. You do it. I do it. Sometimes the things we criticise are inconsequential. C'est la vie.

As has been said before, nobody is asking anyone to justify going to the Euros and realise that lots of people are just there having fun, not desperately wanting people to think they are great. There seems to be sizeable minority who are acting like undignified gobdaws though. And some people are critical of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Could be worse, could be Scottish. Looking at one of their forums and their EURO 2016 "experience" appears to be starting a thread about every match. In said thread they'll repeatedly proclaim how crap the game is and how Scotland are better than one (or often both) of the teams involved. Every second comment is "look how crap they are, we should be there instead".

Special attention is reserved for Ireland of course. They reckon we aren't fit to lace Scotland's boots, yet we're the ones at the tournament.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Then they apply the clickbait headline which means using superlatives and sensationalism along the lines of "This is the best dance move you've never seen".

It's the superlatives, the goddamn superlatives. "This pig is absolutely perfect!". "This is the best bus stop you'll ever see!" It is so bad.

I have a vivid memory of learning English in second class in primary school and our teacher telling us to hold back on the use of superlatives (she didn't actually say superlatives, she used some other more childer-friendly word). The writing in these articles is primary school stuff and it is painful to read. I'd be embarrassed to have my name attached to an article on a site like joe.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Wonzy wrote: »
    Looks class in fairness. What a chant!

Embarrassing. Have they no other past time besides drinking?

The louvre is nearby. why not educate yourselves. Take in some culture.

Always an Irish bar too. God forbid they try and learn some French.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

One thing summed up the trip for me, I was lookine online and there was people complaining about the weather, some guy pipes up ''it won't be raining in the pub lad'' How depressing is that? Go to france to sit in an irish pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The Louvre doesn't open on Mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Who cares what they do on their holiday? No laws are being broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

Maybe they did? The louvre is big but it doesn't take 3 days to get around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Mec27 wrote: »
    One thing summed up the trip for me, I was lookine online and there was people complaining about the weather, some guy pipes up ''it won't be raining in the pub lad'' How depressing is that? Go to france to sit in an irish pub.

Agreed they are certainly perpetuating the drinking Irish stereotype

Could be worse, could be Scottish. Looking at one of their forums and their EURO 2016 "experience" appears to be starting a thread about every match. In said thread they'll repeatedly proclaim how crap the game is and how Scotland are better than one (or often both) of the teams involved. Every second comment is "look how crap they are, we should be there instead".

Special attention is reserved for Ireland of course. They reckon we aren't fit to lace Scotland's boots, yet we're the ones at the tournament.

I read a Scottish forum after Ireland qualified and I could not believe the bitterness. Along the lines of "Ireland have qualified ahead of a superior team". Well lads, if you're superior, why are you not there? And this tournament was much easier to qualify for! There was very few people on the thread extending their congratulations to Ireland. I know we'd have more supportive of them if it was the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Just got a link from WLRFM illustrating what I mentioned here yesterday : the French do love it. They don't see the tackiness. They don't cringe.

They love the Irish !

Don't click if you don't want to see links to all the classic videos.

It just says Irish fans are wonderful, they're funny, friendly, helpful, always up for fun, always good natured.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/anaisbordages/voici-la-preuve-que-les-supporters-irlandais-ont-deja-gagne?sub=4277883_8880796

So yes, singled out, and in a good way.

No sign of cringing, annoyance, or spite from the French side !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yes the Scots were incredibly bitter about being squeezed out by us. They thought they had at least a playoff spot sewn up after the draw with us in Dublin. Of course they then blew a gasket in Tbilisi and we beat the world champs.

Now they're left minding the house when the rest of Britain and Ireland are enjoying themselves in France.

Just got a link from WLRFM illustrating what I mentioned here yesterday : the French do love it. They don't see the tackiness. They don't cringe.

They love the Irish !

Don't click if you don't want to see links to all the classic videos.

It just says Irish fans are wonderful, they're funny, friendly, helpful, always up for fun, always good natured.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/anaisbordages/voici-la-preuve-que-les-supporters-irlandais-ont-deja-gagne?sub=4277883_8880796

So yes, singled out, and in a good way.

No sign of cringing, annoyance, or spite from the French side !

It's Buzzfeed. BUZZFEED! Another list-making, superlative-abusing heap of crap of a website. :pac:

There was a thread maybe last year on AH called "Irelands greatest sporting embarrassments". It was really eye opening to see how many of the responses were people claiming to have felt humiliated and disappointed by victories and successes Irish teams/people have achieved over the years. People were putting grand slams and olympic medals down as embarrassments. There's just a certain bunch out there who hate seeing others happy or successful.

It's the same case here. News of riots and violence dominate the coverage of the euros, yet people here are pissed off that Irish people are having fun and getting positive attention both here and abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Maireadio wrote: »
    It's Buzzfeed. BUZZFEED! Another list-making, superlative-abusing heap of crap of a website. :pac:

A French one !

We're not talking about the Irish annoying side here, we're just talking French feedback, who cares what trash it is ? Buzzfeed obviously "feeds" the French what they want to consume, and right now the article about the Irish is amongst the top articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I thought this video was Brilliant :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Why do football fans do that stupid dance, like they're alternating **** off 2 giant cocks?

Ah, I guess ya see what ya wanna see ;)

There was a thread maybe last year on AH called "Irelands greatest sporting embarrassments". It was really eye opening to see how many of the responses were people claiming to have felt humiliated and disappointed by victories and successes Irish teams/people have achieved over the years. People were putting grand slams and olympic medals down as embarrassments. There's just a certain bunch out there who hate seeing others happy or successful.

It's the same case here. News of riots and violence dominate the coverage of the euros, yet people here are pissed off that Irish people are having fun and getting positive attention both here and abroad.

I can't believe the first paragraph, that people would be disappointed by sporting success. :eek: But I wouldn't equate the embarrassment at undignified paddywhackery.

Me personally, I'm always proud of our sporting acheivements so it's not true that all the people on-thread who are sick of the "bantz" fall into the first category.

Collie D wrote: »
    The Louvre doesn't open on Mondays.

Today is Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

In their defence, they're going on a football-watching trip; acting the maggot and letting their hair down is the priority. They can go, and may already have gone, on cultural trips to France at different times.

I don't mind them having a laugh. I do find it all a bit patronising/stereotype-confirming and you wouldn't find me dead in one of those 'banter' clips but each to their own.

Today is Wednesday

The video was clearly taken on Monday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Today is Wednesday

And all those videos were taken on monday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

The Brits are off again. Throwing bottles at police

Dempsey wrote: »
    And all those videos were taken on monday

I didn't get the memo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Maireadio wrote: »
    So... nobody on this thread then?

Criticising a handful of Irish people =/= hating Irish people.

But you knew that.
    Ah but there are some people who, despite being Irish, have a go at Irish people in general (apart from themselves) - "Paddy this" and "Paddy that". It's cringey too how superior they think they are. As annoying as the Ireland fans acting the eejit stereotype in my opinion.

Advertisement