Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

Dry ****e, High horses who act like their poop don't stink out in force who begrudge anyone having a good time and look down on them with their beaky noses cause they think there better them when in fact their lives are as exciting as watching paint dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

CaraMay wrote: »
    The Brits are off again. Throwing bottles at police

The English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

muddypaws wrote: »
    The English?

God damned Anglo Saxons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Wonzy wrote: »
    Dry ****e, High horses who act like their poop don't stink out in force who begrudge anyone having a good time and look down on them with their beaky noses cause they think there better them when in fact their lives are as exciting as watching paint dry.

completely baseless. begrudery ,jealousy. the last bastion of a beaten debater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's an Outkast song isn't it?

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's an Outkast song isn't it?

Roses really smell like poo poo poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Everyone's life is boring and just lol if you think that getting scuttered and acting the tit and being a nuisance makes you interesting.

Bonus points for "dry ****e". The worst insult an Irish person can think of to call another Irish person :pac:

completely baseless. begrudery ,jealousy. the last bastion of a beaten debater.

No, just the truth. People looking down on others because they think there better than them. Your posts on this thread show this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Everyone's life is boring and just lol if you think that getting scuttered and acting the tit and being a nuisance makes you interesting.

Bonus points for "dry ****e". The worst insult an Irish person can think of to call another Irish person :pac:

100 percent this.

lawlolawl wrote: »

Never said it makes you interesting. Just begrudgers giving out about people having fun. It mighn't be how you like to live your life but looking down on others is not a great trait to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Just saw a post on Twitter by LovinDublin "amazing scenes as Irish fans clean up Paris" accompanied by a video of Irish fans cleaning up after themselves. I'm all for the craic etc but posts like this are what the op started this thread for. Embarassing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Jaysus some of them don't take too kindly to criticism. I got fcuked out of it on one of the youtube comment sections. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

mickotoole wrote: »
    Just saw a post on Twitter by LovinDublin "amazing scenes as Irish fans clean up Paris" accompanied by a video of Irish fans cleaning up after themselves. I'm all for the craic etc but posts like this are what the op started this thread for. Embarassing

"Irish fans are very good little boys and cleaned up after themselves after they went on a really scary fast aeroplane to watch the big boys soccer team have fun playing a game".

It's adorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I am finding these live pictures on sky news of hooligans skirmishing far most entertaining that the football matches. But that wouldn't be hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Two Tone wrote: »
    Ah but there are some people who, despite being Irish, have a go at Irish people in general (apart from themselves) - "Paddy this" and "Paddy that". It's cringey too how superior they think they are. As annoying as the Ireland fans acting the eejit stereotype in my opinion.

It probably wasn't accurate for me to say "nobody" but the number of people on-thread who fall into the above-category are minimal from what I can see.
    CaraMay wrote: »
    The Brits are off again. Throwing bottles at police

Of course, they'll be cute enough to keep it outside the stadium to avoid sanctions. But I guess that's good for all the non-troublemaking English fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

The louvre is nearby. why not educate yourselves. Take in some culture.

Sport is just as much a part of culture as art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Mortifying. The thing is though, they know their audience! All the posts I've seen on FB in the last few days about the fans have tens and hundreds of comments underneath lapping this shít up! I haven't actually seen any dissenting comments. The stories exist because it's what a sizeable portion of people want to see, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Omackeral wrote: »
    I think some of it is begrudgery but there is definitely some deserved annoyance among fans who go to most games week in and week out and don't get any talking up yet these guys do it once a decade on the p*ss and are the second coming. Meanwhile clubs here go to the wall e.g. Monaghan Utd in 2012 while Delaney sang and danced and Athlone now look done.

This pic sums up what they're feeling.

https://comeheretome.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/521340_10151053018328829_686182787_n-1.jpg

i don't get that line of thinking.so people don't go to the LOI games.would you prefer we don't go to the big international tournaments so?would it be better that we go to neither?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

smurgen wrote: »
    i don't get that line of thinking.so people don't go to the LOI games.would you prefer we don't go to the big international tournaments so?would it be better that we go to neither?

They've no right declaring themselves as the greatest fans in the world when the domestic league struggles to keep it's head above water. The Spanish, Italians, French, German, English etc are all better in this regard.

This is a one off big trip but it would be great if on their return these fans could get themselves down to an LOI match on a Friday night. They'd really love it, just give it a chance if you have a side in your locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

El Caballo wrote: »
    Sport is just as much a part of culture as art

I remember working at an art event. I was talking to the stage director. One of the artists involved came up and said he'd be away for a few hours to take a break and get some food and have a few beers. The stage director asked where he was going. He said he'd be in a particular bar getting a steak and watching the Liverpool match. I said Liverpool were in with a good chance, but they'd miss having a particular player that was injured at the time. I am not a football fan, my mother watches it when she can and my brother makes time to watch. This injury was in the news and my football fan friends talked about it a lot, so this was your basic pleasantries for me. Me and the artist talked about it a bit. Then he headed off. The stage manager told me after the artist hates football and sports, and thinks their fans are moronic. That he was taking the piss.

I was talking to another artist involved later. He is nationally famous, and would be well known in his field around Europe. He's been abroad for international matches and . I know for a fact he'd watch any sport on TV if he had some free time. We talked about the six nations.

Maybe a lot of the people in France would be dismissive of art. I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few went to look at the Mona Lisa, or tried some Bretagne cider. I know a lot of artists who are dismissive of sports, my artist friends value sport.

Sure isn't our very own president a lifelong fan of Galway United, a poet, a lover of sport, art and most of all a lover of all things cultural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Someone posted that English thugs are at it again.

Why not? Hasn't that mammon worshipping, lily-livered organisation UEFA given its blessing to thuggery outside the stadium?
    Blatter is alive and well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Any yokes wrote: »
    Despite all my supposed mean spiritedness and soapboxing in this thread I will say I hope all the Irish fans over in France enjoy the Euros and most importantly get home safe. And the others too.

PEACE

xx

youtube.com/watch?v=dsVkUAsoAPo

You won't be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I HATE JOY.
    It's so close-minded the way all the proles in this thread are assuming that because some people don't like football, beer, and the bants - that they have no fun - since obviously nothing else fun happens in the world besides those things.

I go to Alton Towers & take acid - at least once a year off-peak. It's the best rush ever - peaking when going 70mph on Nemesis. Did it in Legoland Windsor too. I take acid & go hiking in Glendalough for the day. I get stoned & go rock climbing. I get stoned & record music. Do you realise some people are into other stuff that's not the usual generic "lad" pastimes (footy, lager, cars, titty mags, bants, sun/package holidays, cheeky nandos, christenings, Mrs Browns Boys, The Script, whey hey!"), yeah?

"You don't like footy & pints? You much be a boring snotty hermit".

Do you take drugs?

It's not clear from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

smurgen wrote: »

Just saying that going on the sesh once a decade or so doesn't make you a fantastic supporter. Going on away trips to non glamorous league cup ties followed by run of the mill league fixtures on a weekly basis, often in the opposite end of the country, takes a lot more dedication. It's not banterific enough to grab headlines though.

In relation to your last line. I never said we shouldn't go to tournaments. I was there myself last time out in Poland for Euro 2012. It would be phenomenal if we could go to both rather than neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Me and the artist talked about it a bit. Then he headed off. The stage manager told me after the artist hates football and sports, and thinks their fans are moronic. That he was taking the piss.

What a C-bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its lucky these Euros are on and Irish fans are at it, otherwise the www.independent.ie website would have nothing to report.

Check it out, and see just how many links there are to stories of fans in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another point in the "Please vote us the fans of the tournament" competition.

We have this wrapped up by now, surely?
    Or is there more room for hilarity, paddywhackery and generally being nice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Why do football fans do that stupid dance, like they're alternating **** off 2 giant cocks?

So that's the first thing that springs to your mind when you see that dance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Pim Pictus

I'm just back from Paris. It was some of the best fun you could have if its your thing. No one there is thinking about what LovinDublin or any other "news" outlet thinks of them.

People giving out about the fans have no idea what the atmosphere there is like amongst the Irish and opposing fans. I didn't see a single violent incident, verbal or physical. If you think there's any reason to be negative about it id recommend getting over yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Jesus some of ye need to lighten up sick of this miserable, begrudging, self depricating, judgemental attitude.

The lads in France are away having the craic and mingling with our euro neighbors in a positive manner. If ye're upset by the coverage stop reading the articles and comments.

I get the feeling some people are looking for stuff to cringe and whinge about.

Advertisement