Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Maireadio wrote: »
    Mortifying. The thing is though, they know their audience! All the posts I've seen on FB in the last few days about the fans have tens and hundreds of comments underneath lapping this shít up! I haven't actually seen any dissenting comments. The stories exist because it's what a sizeable portion of people want to see, for whatever reason.

The only thing mortifying is this thread and replies like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Embarrassing. Have they no other past time besides drinking?

The louvre is nearby. why not educate yourselves. Take in some culture.

Always an Irish bar too. God forbid they try and learn some French.

Picture a similar scene in New York when Ireland played Italy. I know because I used to live there at the time. The day before the match I saw several Irish jerseys in the queue to get into the Guggenheim.

I am pretty confident that were you in Paris last weekend you would have seen plenty of Ireland jerseys in the Louvre, the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, the Palace of Versailles, Montmartre, Sacre Coeur, Place de la Concord, Pompidou Centre, etc., etc.

I was at the Ireland / Hiolland game in Amsterdam in 2000. I witnessed plenty of paddies walking around with maps searching for Anne Frank's house and the Rijksmuseum. Oh, don't get me wrong, they were in the pub later for a piss up but their morning and afternoon was spent getting in some of the sites and not just leering at hookers or smoking joints.

I would bet that before or after the game in Bordeaux you'll see plenty of them in the grounds of the beautiful chateaux and cathedrals there. You might even see some out in Arcachon to eat the world famous oysters and climb the Dune du Pilat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Pim Pictus wrote: »
    I'm just back from Paris. It was some of the best fun you could have if its your thing. No one there is thinking about what LovinDublin or any other "news" outlet thinks of them.

People giving out about the fans have no idea what the atmosphere there is like amongst the Irish and opposing fans. I didn't see a single violent incident, verbal or physical. If you think there's any reason to be negative about it id recommend getting over yourselves.
    elfy4eva wrote: »
    Jesus some of ye need to lighten up sick of this miserable begrudging self depricating judgemental attitude.

The lads in France are away having the craic and mingling with our euro neighbors in a positive manner. If ye're upset by the coverage stop reading the articles and comments.

I sometimes get the feeling some people are looking for stuff to cringe and whinge about.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Can you lot not understand nobody begrudges them or complaining about them, the thread is about the constant glorification of Irish fans in the media, social media. There's more about the fans than the team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Today is Wednesday

oh boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Can you lot not understand nobody begrudges them or complaining about them, the thread is about the constant glorification of Irish fans in the media, social media. There's more about the fans than the team.

The thread title and OP suggest it very much is about the fans but if it is the media u are upset about, how about stop reading the articles and comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

bigpink wrote: »
    We get it they are superfans

The reaction by the media and those wishing to jump on the publicity bandwagon is patronising and idiotic.

Most fans of any sport you care to mention,and most
    nationalities,attend these events without causing trouble,or getting pissed,for that matter.

Irish fans,be they rugby,or cricket or football or GAA fans,are no different.

They don't need to be congratulated or patted on the back,for not wrecking the stadium or causing riots.

This is condescending,they are not monkeys.

The reputation of Irish fans abroad since Giles was manager,has always been simple.

Enjoy the experience,and don't look for brownie points for doing so.

The thread title and OP suggest it very much is about the fans but if it is the media u are upset about, how about stop reading the articles and comments.
    No it doesn't, I just heard on the radio that the excellent behaviour of the Irish fans is going to boost Irish tourism :rolleyes:

No it doesn't, I just heard on the radio that the excellent behaviour of the Irish fans is going to boost Irish tourism :rolleyes:

"Excellent behaviour"

That is totally condescending and patronising.

They are no different from the vast amount of nationalities that attend major tournaments.

All of whom,do not travel with the intention of "boosting tourism".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

It will be lowering greenhouse gasses next

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pim Pictus wrote: »
    I'm just back from Paris. It was some of the best fun you could have if its your thing. No one there is thinking about what LovinDublin or any other "news" outlet thinks of them.

People giving out about the fans have no idea what the atmosphere there is like amongst the Irish and opposing fans. I didn't see a single violent incident, verbal or physical. If you think there's any reason to be negative about it id recommend getting over yourselves.

I have. I was there last time out for Euro 2012. It was great fun. Definitely. And no, there was no trouble. It's just all a bit self congratulatory at this stage. Every second article online, on FB and in print media is declaring ourselves to be sound. That's a bit cringey surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Haha, the media is definitely taking it overboard now. The fans are amazing but "online journalists" are just out for clicks and pushing out these empty articles with the odd video.

FA&H having a laugh at it now.
    http://youtu.be/yxzrhw7Lb1g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Japanese were tidying up stadiums after themselves in World Cup 1998 because it was the honourable thing to do. They would be ashamed of leaving a mess.

Great that our fans are behaving and bring some credit to our nation. It should be the 'norm' and not a surprise.

Everyone expects the English to be intolerable.... and they never 'disappoint'. Like Pavlov and his dog.

Ultimately, it's a football competition and not a Fan Competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Omackeral wrote: »
    I have. I was there last time out for Euro 2012. It was great fun. Definitely. And no, there was no trouble. It's just all a bit self congratulatory at this stage. Every second article online, on FB and in print media is declaring ourselves to be sound. That's a bit cringey surely?

The latest back clappping story is the one with a couple of lads picking up their bottles and putting them in a plastic bag.

No pictures or stories of the Boulevard de Clichy absolutely littered with glass other rubbish on Monday and Tuesday mornings.

Yes there was little or no trouble. But I'm sure the locals quickly got sick of the 'craic' that was going on.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

The absolute ba$tards, out there having fun and not being trouble for the police. What an embarrassment :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised at the reactions here, it's always the same old. You want real shame, the Missus (English) showing me videos yesterday of her countrymen in France throwing coins at refugee kids and being complete d!cks. We've nothing to be embarrassed about and I hope the fans out there continue having a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

There is something quite contrived about it now, exacerbated by further advances in social and phone media capabilities. Its great we arent causing trouble but that should be a prerequisite, which in fact the majority of fans from all nations are already adhering to anyway. The meda depictions of us "plucky underdogs" from both domestic and international media, is as infantilising and patronising as any british colonial era, Punch magazine stereotype. This culminating in "The Best Fans" award from the last Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Joe.ie and their ilk are annoying with their coverage of Irish fans and have definitely reached a level of oversaturation.

However, I'd way rather have coverage about the fans like this piece from ESPN than what's in the media about the English and Russian fans at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I just flew home yesterday.

And it was the best experience of my life. Something that will never change no matter how many people moan about it.

BPKS wrote: »
    The latest back clappping story is the one with a couple of lads picking up their bottles and putting them in a plastic bag.

Won't be long until they pack the hoover,to do a spot of spring cleaning,before they depart their hotel rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

mickotoole wrote: »
    Just saw a post on Twitter by LovinDublin "amazing scenes as Irish fans clean up Paris" accompanied by a video of Irish fans cleaning up after themselves. I'm all for the craic etc but posts like this are what the op started this thread for. Embarassing
    Jesus wept. What's the big deal about cleaning up after themselves? And LovinDublin... What exactly do you expect when you open one of their links?

armaghlad wrote: »
    Jesus wept. What's the big deal about cleaning up after themselves? And LovinDublin... What exactly do you expect when you open one of their links?
    The big deal is plastering it all over the media ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Cienciano wrote: »

I disagree. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

I just flew home yesterday.

And it was the best experience of my life.

Drinking with a bunch of 'lads' is probably the best thing you can experience on our tiny boring planet alright.

Blinding originality here. We could use that smart thinking down here at the office!

gladrags wrote: »
    The reaction by the media and those wishing to jump on the publicity bandwagon is patronising and idiotic.

Most fans of any sport you care to mention,and most
    nationalities,attend these events without causing trouble,or getting pissed,for that matter.

Irish fans,be they rugby,or cricket or football or GAA fans,are no different.

They don't need to be congratulated or patted on the back,for not wrecking the stadium or causing riots.

This is condescending,they are not monkeys.

The reputation of Irish fans abroad since Giles was manager,has always been simple.

Enjoy the experience,and don't look for brownie points for doing so.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Drinking with a bunch of 'lads' is probably the best thing you can experience on our tiny boring planet alright.
    What are you going on about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hahaha. Yeh you're so right.

Comparing 'Drinking with a bunch of lads' to going to the EUROS. Should have stayed in my gaf and got the lads down, sure it's the exact same like.

I pity people like you.

Au Revior my friend! C'est La Vie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was the nun video funny or rude in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

bigpink wrote: »
    Was the nun video funny or rude in your opinion?

rude

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Hahaha. Yeh you're so right.

Comparing 'Drinking with a bunch of lads' to going to the EUROS. Should have stayed in my gaf and got the lads down, sure it's the exact same like.

I pity people like you.

Au Revior my friend! C'est La Vie

If you think hopping on a Ryanair flight to go drinking & watching football with a bunch of drunk gombeens is the "experience of a lifetime", try broaden your horizons. I assume you're 19 and haven't had a chance to do much with your life so far, so if that's the case then I apologise.

Maybe go snorkeling in the barrier reef before it's gone. That's the "experience of a lifetime, to name but one.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Aye. The girlfriend was raving about the Bruce Springsteen gig recently, I told her she was a fool and could have had the exact same experience drinking a box of wine in her room listening to a cassette of "The River".

Advertisement