Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If you think hopping on a Ryanair flight to go drinking & watching football with a bunch of drunk gombeens is the "experience of a lifetime", try broaden your horizons. I assume you're 19 and haven't had a chance to do much with your life so far, so if that's the case then I apologise.

Maybe go snorkeling in the barrier reef before it's gone. That's the "experience of a lifetime, to name but one.

Well arent you so sophisticated! :rolleyes:

I done the travelling the world stuff, great experience, would recommend it highly aswell. But going to Paris for our opening game of the euros is right up there with those experiences.

Stay watching all the videos on joe.ie though, they clearly capture the entire experience of being there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If you think hopping on a Ryanair flight to go drinking & watching football with a bunch of drunk gombeens is the "experience of a lifetime", try broaden your horizons. I assume you're 19 and haven't had a chance to do much with your life so far, so if that's the case then I apologise.

Maybe go snorkeling in the barrier reef before it's gone. That's the "experience of a lifetime, to name but one.

Were you not the one banging on about all the times you've done acid earlier in the thread? I don't know why you're looking down on people for doing a different drug in a different place.

Could it be you have some preconceived notions about football fans?

Dempsey wrote: »

I done the travelling the world stuff, great experience, would recommend it highly aswell. But going to Paris for our opening game of the euros is right up there with those experiences.

Stay watching all the videos on joe.ie though, they clearly capture the entire experience of being there :p

He's either trolling or has a chip in his shoulder about football fans. Either way it's fun to see what he comes out with next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Could you be any more of a snob?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Dempsey wrote: »

I'll second that - going to a big football tournament is an experience in a lifetime type thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Drinking with a bunch of 'lads' is probably the best thing you can experience on our tiny boring planet alright.

And what the fuck makes you think that he even drinks? In fact he mightn't even do any narcotics to get a euphoric feeling. Unlike you.

HensVassal wrote: »
    And what the fuck makes you think that he even drinks? In fact he mightn't even do any narcotics to get a euphoric feeling. Unlike you.

Because obviously the only people who watch football are uneducated slobs who do nothing but drink pint after pint of the cheapest lager with the lads.

Source: People in this thread who apparently think real life is an English sitcom.

And how do you know that outside of watching a football match he didn't venture into the french countryside and sample some of the finest wines at a variety of vineyards? How do you know he didn't hanglide in the Alps? How do you know he didn't get a guided tour of the Louvre usually off limits to the public?

You're a sad, opinionated and bitter little man, obviously a bit of a loner who needs psychedelic drugs to lift your mood of loneliness.

Snorkeling in the Barrier Reef, oh ya mad bastard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I've actually scuba dived the Great Barrier reef.
    I've witness majestic lions on African planes.
    I've visited the ancient temples of Cambodia
    I've walked upon glaciers in New Zealand
    I've driven the great ocean road, the garden route, California Route 101 and most of the wild atlantic way.
    I've trekked across jungle on the back of an elephant
    I've taken a girl on a gondala ride at dusk in Venice
    I've sailed around Halong Bay in Vietnam
    I've stayed with hill tribes in Laos
    I've barbecued frog on an homemade grill in the Philipinnes
    I've but $20 on red in Vegas and won
    I've seen Springsteen play non stop for 3 hours on a summers day
    I've drank cans of crap beer at night by a bonfire on a beach in California
    I've had afternoon Tea in the worlds only 7 star hotel
    I've cycled across indonesian rice fields
    I've looked upon the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and the face of Mona Lisa
    I've climb the Tower of Pisa and the Effiel Tower

And none of that compares to that instant of euphoria when Wezzy rattled Swedish net on Monday night.

Ya kinda had to be there i guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'd rather visit Stade De Francais and feel the passion of singing the Anthem.

Thanks tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

I've actually scuba dived the Great Barrier reef.
    I've witness majestic lions on African planes.
    I've visited the ancient temples of Cambodia
    I've walked upon glaciers in New Zealand
    I've driven the great ocean road, the garden route, California Route 101 and most of the wild atlantic way.
    I've trekked across jungle on the back of an elephant
    I've taken a girl on a gondala ride at dusk in Venice
    I've sailed around Halong Bay in Vietnam
    I've stayed with hill tribes in Laos
    I've barbecued frog on an homemade grill in the Philipinnes
    I've but $20 on red in Vegas and won
    I've seen Springsteen play non stop for 3 hours on a summers day
    I've drank cans of crap beer at night by a bonfire on a beach in California
    I've had afternoon Tea in the worlds only 7 star hotel
    I've cycled across indonesian rice fields
    I've looked upon the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and the face of Mona Lisa
    I've climb the Tower of Pisa and the Effiel Tower

And none of that compares to that instant of euphoria when Wezzy rattled Swedish net on Monday night.

Ya kinda had to be there i guess...

recency bias

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mickotoole wrote: »
    Just saw a post on Twitter by LovinDublin "amazing scenes as Irish fans clean up Paris" accompanied by a video of Irish fans cleaning up after themselves. I'm all for the craic etc but posts like this are what the op started this thread for. Embarassing

And here's was joe's description of it
    We've said it a million times at this rate, but we really are a great bunch of sound f*ckers.
    JOE reader Shane Heffernan has sent us in this video of a group of Irish fans clearing up their own bottles and cans after going on the tear in Bordeaux.

This was filmed by Shane just across from the Connemara Irish pub.

Their mams are looking at this back in Ireland, going, "sure aren't they great, Margaret, they always offered to do the washing up after dinner on Sunday as well."

A credit to the nation.

We're really are a great bunch of sound fcukers now, have we reached peak self congratulation in the media yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I started out agreeing that the 'Euro Irish banter' is grating, but I'd take a f**king year of it over the f**king moaning on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,201 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've seen Springsteen play non stop for 3 hours on a summers day.....

I'm begining to see a trend here.
    Springsteen fans = "shoes off for the boys in green" people.

I have never really gotten either group but I'm beginning to think they're largely the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I really wouldn't take the trolling to heart guys.

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm begining to see a trend here.
    Springsteen fans = "shoes off for the boys in green" people.

I have never really gotten either group but I'm beginning to think they're largely the same people.

A lot of people like two hugely popular things!

Stop the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

I've driven most of the wild atlantic way.

over rated invention just like the gathering.

its a road in the shticks.

Ah right, so we can add 'marketing to tourists' to the list of things worthy of derision by the boards intellectuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And here's was joe's description of it

We're really are a great bunch of sound fcukers now, have we reached peak self congratulation in the media yet?

Your problem is with Joe.ie

I am sick of Joe.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,201 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A lot of people like two hugely popular things!

Stop the press.

Taking your shoe off and waving it around has grown in popularity but I wouldn't claim it to be hugely popular just yet.

Bruce is indeed hugely popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

:rolleyes:

And just so you know, the Euros only happen every 4 years. Not only that but Ireland rarely qualifies. The last time was 2012 and then 24 years before that tecnically making the experience less frequent that total solar eclipses. For many if not most 2012 it literally was a chance of a lifetime. One can snorkel the barrier reef any day of the week, any week of any year. All you need is 2 grand and a week off work. Its not going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

osarusan wrote: »
    I started out agreeing that the 'Euro Irish banter' is grating, but I'd take a f**king year of it over the f**king moaning on this thread.

This is the moaniest post I've read on-thread in a while. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I just flew home yesterday.

And it was the best experience of my life. Something that will never change no matter how many people moan about it.

Ireland drawing with Sweden was the best experience of your life?

Oh, you don't mean the actual football do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That headline is mental!

The Rest Of Europe Is Absolutely Sick That They're Not Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Omackeral wrote: »
    That headline is mental!

It starts quite well I think.
    The detractors would suggest that our desire to pat ourselves on the back is rather embarrassing. They'd say that the need to be seen to be the good guys of Euro 2016 is even worse than the 'win, loose, we're on the booze' attitude on show in Poland four years ago. And perhaps they're correct.

Perhaps our pride in having the self appointed 'greatest fans in Europe' is embarrassing. Perhaps we do like nothing more than rolling over like the mad auld scones we are and having our bellies tickled by the big boys every few years as they promptly dispatch us with ease on the field.

But if you really want to understand the mentality involved in those type of clickbait articles one Donald Trump style line will capture the essence.
    They're more than welcome to their cerebral thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Omackeral wrote: »
    That headline is mental!

I know, right? :D

Yes, I'm sure the Germans, Italians, French and Spanish etc. are devastated that they have much better national teams. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Sound lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Ah right, so we can add 'marketing to tourists' to the list of things worthy of derision by the boards intellectuals.
    More specifically, the Boards "When I put down Irish people of course I don't include myself because I am superior" group. :)

I am becoming quite conflicted now - I find it too stereotyping but to be honest, I can only see Irish people expressing objections to it. On international social media pages it's nothing but praise for the Irish (not that there aren't people criticising the antics of the Irish - I just have not seen that myself).

Advertisement