Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Would you rather we were over there smashing heads like other nations OP!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jesus, not this sh1t again. People enjoying themselves always seems to bring out the worst in others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Would you rather we were over there smashing heads like other nations OP!?

thats a pretty silly question...its not an" either / or" scenario.
    we can go on the piss without hyping the fcuk out of it and claiming a world title in nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Irish fans are over there supporting their national team, having a good time, and for some it will be their one and only holiday for a few years now. They are enjoying themselves as they should. Its all harmless and great to see. I highly doubt half of them are analysing it all as much as some of the people on here.
    I'm so jealous of them. I love seeing the chants and stories online. Its a huge thing to be a part of and its great to see them enjoying it instead of having brawls and throwing bottles. Fair enough, not exactly something deserving of praise but very nice to see, and just because they receive so called praise does not mean they actively sought it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

To be fair, it's a good tactic. We portray ourselves as such affirmation-seeking, cartoon leprechaun figures that it makes all the mad European hooligans too embarrassed to attack us because we'd probably still be asking for selfies and getting rounds of pints sent down to them from the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

"Deedsie wrote: »
    The respect from the Irish fans towards the young Northern Ireland fan who passed away.

As Chris Rock would say " people getting credit for **** youre just supposed to do"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I've been to many away games and was at Euro 2012, believe me it's once in a lifetime thing to do.

If you're watching it on YouTube at home then you'll tire of it very quickly with the same songs repeated over and over. But it's just a whole different thing being there and engrossed in the atmosphere.

Escapism from reality a few weeks for many, it's called living life. I'm not surprised to see the moaners coming out of the cupboards.
    They can play away, drink away for all I care as I've absolutely no interest in at and could think of a million better things to do and places to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Essien wrote: »
    Remarkably well behaved in fact.

I've been in Paris for 3 days, seen possibly tens of thousands of Irish fans "after a long day of beer".

In that time I've seen just 1 fight, which was started by an English man spitting on someone.
    You must have some eagle eye to watch over tens of thousands of Irish fans to view their activities and only see one fight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You must have some eagle eye to watch over tens of thousands of Irish fans to view their activities and only see one fight :)

To be fair he just stated what he saw and made no claim to anything he didnt see.

Having gone to Poland and a good few away games i'd love to be there now but sadly not. I was amazed at the crowds of Irish, Croatian, Spanish, Italian, Polish fans drinking, partying, singing day in day out with so little trouble and getting on so well with each other. If only temple bar / Pana etc were to be so well behaved.
    Its a fantastic carnival atmosphere with people from different nations and backgrounds brought together through a love of football, mingling and partying. There are no Irish football fans who go on about being the best fans in the world that's an external label coming from our media so take it up with them not the average fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Actually having a good time - thats ok

Constantly telling the world about how much fun you are in a desperate attempt for a pat on the back - Not ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

As Chris Rock would say " people wanting credit for **** youre just supposed to do"

What makes you think they want credit?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Its a fantastic carnival atmosphere with people from different nations and backgrounds brought together through a love of football
    in irelands case we have a huge event junkie set who just want to be seen at the "big dance " on instagram Facebook and twitter

this is highlighted by the fact that the aviva is normally half empty unless the big boys are in town and why clubs like athlone are going belly up. because no one will give you kudos on insatgram for a selfie in tolka park

Allinall wrote: »
    What makes you think they want credit?

the poster gave them credit.

its like saying "well done ,you stayed quiet during a minutes silence"

the poster gave them credit.

its like saying "well done ,you stayed quiet during a minutes silence"

Big difference between them been given credit and what you intimated- them looking for credit.

Maybe you can't see it.

Big difference between them been given credit and what you intimated- them looking for credit.

Maybe you can't see it.

ill edit it to "people getting credit for **** they are supposed to do"

ill edit it to "people getting credit for **** they are supposed to do"

Now we're getting somewhere.

So your criticism isn't of the fans after all?

Now we're getting somewhere.

So your criticism isn't of the fans after all?

it is

can't stand them

"banter o clock".

its not my scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Fans as ever are superb, the media over the top "Shure are'nt we great reporting" is getting embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Any yokes

exactly this.

arent we great.

pat us on the head.

Like us! Please Like us! validate me!

best fans in the world
    instagram
    craic
    everybody loves us

Pass the sick bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Lyaiera wrote: »
    They've been there a few days. I'd say by now they're well aware there's no curry or garlic cheese chips to be found. So if it hasn't kicked off already they won't. Give it another few days and they'll be rejecting cuisine de france baguettes for what the French boulangeries are selling. If we make it to the semi's they'll becoming back with stripy navy tops and a new sense of style.

There's always the 'jambon sandwich'!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

in irelands case we have a huge event junkie set who just want to be seen at the "big dance " on instagram Facebook and twitter

this is highlighted by the fact that the aviva is normally half empty unless the big boys are in town and why clubs like athlone are going belly up. because no one will give you kudos on insatgram for a selfie in tolka park

I don't agree with your reasoning at all.

I think your event junkies want to have a good time and in general dont care about being seen by anyone.

Domestic football has problems with poor facilities and pitches as well as having one of the highest quality leagues to compete with on tv constantly. I love going to Cork city games but its not a comparison with travelling to a football festival. With GAA tribalism ingrained in a lot of us its hard for people from a lot of counties to support a domestic team which isnt local to them too.

As for the Aviva travelling to Dublin and taking time off for a match is a lot less attractive then travelling to Paris and doing the same for a higher status game and the associated festivities.

Enjoying the party doesn't negate enjoying the football and supporting your national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

bigpink wrote: »
    Its good but jesud the non stop fawning of it
    Id like to see how well behaved they all are after a long day of beer

Keep watching the news then. Duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

Jealous much OP? Do you not like people have a good time or what's up with ya?

I'm delighted to see the coverage of the fans. Do you think the media should stop filming them or what's up with ya.

I'd say your Friday night is sitting at home knitting socks for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"banter o clock".

its not my scene.

Celebrity culture isn't my scene. I avoid it quite easily despite how it's become ingrained in a lot of previously respectable media sources. You can do the same with football fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

I'm sick of it OP.

Remember. If you are not joining in the mass self congratulatory circle jerk and cheerleading like every other one of the cheeky nandos , clap when the plane lands brigade you are a begrudger.

Counter debate is shouted down by the "Confused.com", "that'll do pig" , "sure it'd be rude not to" , click bait website subscribing disciple.

I have never seen a nation to pat itself on the back for being "sound" more than this one.

Crowd surfing blocking traffic, being a general pain in the arse is de rigeur , but sure it's all only banter.

I have my shoe off and held aloft as I type this, in solidarity with these extremely fun , enviable, morally incorruptable people.

I'm off to find a statue I can climb or a garden to urinate in , but don't persecute me, I have an inflatable hammer and am adorned in an ironic retro shamrock t-shirt .

#coybig

The world is a gutter

haha, perfect!

LorMal wrote: »
    I agree OP. In the minds of many Irish supporters, there appears to be a competition to be regarded as 'the best fans in the world'. Nobody else is remotely interested in competing.

The rest of them care about what actually matters - winning football matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Well, if I had to pick a group to send off to represent our country at a major event, I would pick the Irish football fans over the boring snotty keyboard hermits on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

It's this kind of saturation coverage that grates on me.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/euro-2016/2016/0614/795462-houghton-we-need-to-beat-belgium-or-italy/

Really? They will need to beat teams in their group in order to progress? Thanks for the reminder captain obvious.

What next?

IRELAND WILL GET 3 POINTS FOR A VICTORY AGAINST BELGIUM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I want that RICHIE SADLER "Scored in U18 european cup 3rd place playoff" flag !!

Advertisement