Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Two Tone wrote: »
    More specifically, the Boards "When I put down Irish people of course I don't include myself because I am superior" group. :)

I am becoming quite conflicted now - I find it too stereotyping but to be honest, I can only see Irish people expressing objections to it. On international social media pages it's nothing but praise for the Irish (not that there aren't people criticising the antics of the Irish - I just have not seen that myself).

I suppose we'd never see any negative comments reported on even if they exist. Only the good stuff is searched for probably! :pac:

And comments like "This is the difference between Ireland and English fans"; surely people realise it's a minority of fans from England and Russia causing trouble? Competing with England in this way is embarrassing. How do they know there aren't really helpful English fans over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enya kenny

boards is just full of high horses now looking down on people having a good time. keep posting with your thousand post counts looking down on people having a good time as your own lives or so boring you have to try and get into arguments with people ye dont know and look down on people and waste your lives on the internet.

enya kenny wrote: »
    keep posting with your thousand post counts

:pac::pac::pac::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The Irish fans don't mean any harm and are spreading a lot of goodwill. They might get a little annoying after repeated exposure, but what harm.

Some of the representations of the fans on clickbait websites is poorly-written (:eek:) and exaggerates the lads' "soundness" (:eek::eek:), but ultimately none of that is important.

What? Sorry, I meant to say I HATE THE IRISH FANS! or was it I LOVE THEY BOYS IN GREEN UNREAL LEGENDS LIKE!!? I can't remember which of the only two available extremist positions I believe in.
    over rated invention just like the gathering.

its a road in the shticks.

It's shocking, the level of trolling these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

enya kenny wrote: »
    boards is just full of high horses now looking down on people having a good time. keep posting with your thousand post counts looking down on people having a good time as your own lives or so boring you have to try and get into arguments with people ye dont know and look down on people and waste your lives on the internet.

Oh the irony.

• Advertisement

Seeking approval is bad and unhealthy.

Telling everyone how ANNOYED!!! you are by people seeking approval is good and healthy.

What? Sorry, I meant to say I HATE THE IRISH FANS! or was it I LOVE THEY BOYS IN GREEN UNREAL LEGENDS LIKE!!? I can't remember which of the only two available extremist positions I believe in.

Luckily lots of posters on-thread haven't taken either extreme position. Finding the reporting and antics of some of the fans undignified and cringeworthy doesn't mean one hates Irish fans or them enjoying themselves.

Why am I even bothering? Reading comprehension hasn't been a strong point of many contributors to this thread.

"Can you tell the court what you were doing at 22.14 on the night in question?"

"I...I was arguing with someone online about their postcount (I was later to edit a post in order to provide quantitative data to bolster my argument). This was a side-argument about whether or not the Irish fans attending The 2016 European Championships were sounds lads, or whether they were a bunch of d*cks. I myself held to the bunch of d*cks side of the debate, and had not long before posted a picture of two young men fellating each other to demonstrate my point. Ahem."

"..."
    Maireadio wrote: »
    Luckily lots of posters on-thread haven't taken either extreme position. Finding the reporting and antics of some of the fans undignified and cringeworthy doesn't mean one hates Irish fans or them enjoying themselves.

Why am I even bothering? Reading comprehension hasn't been a strong point of many contributors to this thread.

lol ya!

lol ya!

Acknowledgment that you didn't parse the thread very well? Super! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This piece in the Irish Times (which for some reason isn't completely flooded with videos of Paddywhackery as the Independent website is), tells a somewhat different story:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/euro-2016/survival-guide/paris-says-au-revoir-to-irish-fans-but-not-all-that-sadly-1.2686304

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

NIMAN wrote: »
    This piece in the Irish Times (which for some reason isn't completely flooded with videos of Paddywhackery as the Independent website is), tells a somewhat different story:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/euro-2016/survival-guide/paris-says-au-revoir-to-irish-fans-but-not-all-that-sadly-1.2686304

Id love to see a report from closing time in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Original article that the times quotes, picture says it all really. They may get the lads from the joe.ie vid pronto to start cleaning up the mess they left in Paris too.

http://m.leparisien.fr/espace-premium/paris-75/le-boulevard-de-clichy-emporte-par-la-folie-irlandaise-15-06-2016-5884991.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

oh no. This won't fit their backslapping narrative.

I'm sure they will move the goal posts.

Maybe the parisiennes are begrudgers now?

Maybe they should have acquiesced to all the paddywackers banter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yer man should have put that apartment on Airbnb for a fortune and headed somewhere quite for a week.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yer man should have put that apartment on Airbnb for a fortune and headed somewhere quite for a week.

Yeah . He should change HIS life to facilitate drunken foreigners

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and probably come back to a wrecked apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

NIMAN wrote: »

Interesting how I could guess two of the three thankers of this post before I checked.

What's the agenda here, folks? You say the biased media is pissing you off rather than the fans. Quoted post shows a counterpoint..are we satisfied?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

On one hand, yes it does look like good craic and I'd love to do an international tournament properly at least once in my life. Not even just for Ireland but go to a load of random games too.

On the other, the "aren't we gas?"/"best fans in the world" crap does grate. We're nowhere near the best fans in the world. We hop on the bandwagon and descend upon places armed with a blagger's knowledge of whatever sport we happen to be doing well in at the time for a massive piss-up to parade our country's drinking problem for the world to see, which I hate. I'd prefer not to have everyone from the rest of the world see me as nothing more than a
    mild-mannered pisshead because my country can't outgrow our stereotype. The Aviva was nearly empty for a lot of the qualifying campaign. MMA had little to no presence in this country before McGregor came along. And both will go back to being true once we stop to do well in both sports. That's not what a 'good fan' is to me.

If Ireland do well or not, the fans' experience will essentially be the same. And the media frames that as 'ah look at them not letting it get them down', when the truth is it's more a case of 90% of them not giving a **** about what happens on the field (unless we do well, that is, then everyone will know intimate details about what Wes Holohan has for breakfast).

Still though, give me that over how the Russian fans carry on any day. So I can see both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

osarusan wrote: »
    I started out agreeing that the 'Euro Irish banter' is grating, but I'd take a f**king year of it over the f**king moaning on this thread.

What are you moaning about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

What I dislike is when Irish people go around bragging "this why everyone loves us."

Think about that for second. Imagine being around someone that went on like that from any other country.

like being in a room full of Hectors

"sure aren't i the great craic" ..no your a pain in the hole now go away :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Original article that the times quotes, picture says it all really. They may get the lads from the joe.ie vid pronto to start cleaning up the mess they left in Paris too.

http://m.leparisien.fr/espace-premium/paris-75/le-boulevard-de-clichy-emporte-par-la-folie-irlandaise-15-06-2016-5884991.php

The cold reality. Just thousands of eejits standing around outside Irish Bars shouting their heads off and getting completely hammered - pissing in lane ways, keeping everyone awake and making a complete mess of the place.
    Best fans in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

leggo wrote: »
    On one hand, yes it does look like good craic and I'd love to do an international tournament properly at least once in my life. Not even just for Ireland but go to a load of random games too.

On the other, the "aren't we gas?"/"best fans in the world" crap does grate. We're nowhere near the best fans in the world. We hop on the bandwagon and descend upon places armed with a blagger's knowledge of whatever sport we happen to be doing well in at the time for a massive piss-up to parade our country's drinking problem for the world to see, which I hate. I'd prefer not to have everyone from the rest of the world see me as nothing more than a
    mild-mannered pisshead because my country can't outgrow our stereotype. The Aviva was nearly empty for a lot of the qualifying campaign. MMA had little to no presence in this country before McGregor came along. And both will go back to being true once we stop to do well in both sports. That's not what a 'good fan' is to me.

If Ireland do well or not, the fans' experience will essentially be the same. And the media frames that as 'ah look at them not letting it get them down', when the truth is it's more a case of 90% of them not giving a **** about what happens on the field (unless we do well, that is, then everyone will know intimate details about what Wes Holohan has for breakfast).

Still though, give me that over how the Russian fans carry on any day. So I can see both sides.

This more or less sums up my feelings.

We are not the best fans in the world. We may be the best partyers though.
    These people in France are on holidays having a good time and using Football as the focus for their merriment and good luck to them!

That said to call them the best fans in the world is crazy.

How many of them went to most of the home qualifiers? How many went to league games regularly? And by league games I mean League of Ireland/Leinster senior league (or equivalent)/English teams games?

Very few I would say.

By all means go on holidays to France. Base it around the football. Have a ball.

But please dont call them the best fans in the world because theyre not.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭What are those?

The videos being put up of 'clean up for the boys and green' and 'we changed a tyre and the English won't.....that's the difference' have to be the cringiest and most staged videos on the internet to make us look good etc. No problem with a bit of singing and what not but looking for a medal for doing something that any good human being should do naturally without question is just cringe in my book

character is what you do when nobody is watching. the irish are great at PR .always aware the cameras are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Media report positive stories about the Irish fans: "Feckin media, making a big deal out of our fans being normal, rabble rabble paddy something"

Media report negative stories about the Irish fans: "Ha! Told you they're up to no good!"

Some of you would want to stop pretending it's the media you have an issue with here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Thinking on it this morning, the fans are right to make this a big one. Assuming we qualify for the 2020 Euros, the atmosphere/craic will in no way be the same. The competition will be spread across 13 countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

this is A1, btw i am on the fence about the whole argument but it made me chuckle

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/06/17/irish-fans-rescue-kidnapped-schoolgirls-from-boko-haram/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Media report positive stories about the Irish fans: "Feckin media, making a big deal out of our fans being normal, rabble rabble paddy something"

Media report negative stories about the Irish fans: "Ha! Told you they're up to no good!"

And then you come along to yet again complain about the complainers.

Tell us all about our begrudgery again good doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

character is what you do when nobody is watching. the irish are great at PR .always aware the cameras are there.

Mr. Negative pops up again :rolleyes:

Always complaining about Ireland and the Irish on every post on every forum, you sound like a right laugh :rolleyes:

Are you from New Zealand as your name and pro All Blacks comments suggest? And if so, why do you continue to live amongst people and a culture that you don't like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

And then you come along to yet again complain about the complainers.

Tell us all about our begrudgery again good doctor!

Except I haven't been one of the posters complaining about the complainers, I've agreed with some people complaining. It's the condescending attitude of some that I've been criticizing for the most part.

I've also mentioned begrudgery once, if at all. Are you getting me confused with someone else?

Advertisement