Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

clsmooth wrote: »
    Mr. Negative pops up again :rolleyes:

Always complaining about Ireland and the Irish on every post on every forum, you sound like a right laugh :rolleyes:

Are you from New Zealand as your name and pro All Blacks comments suggest? And if so, why do you continue to live amongst people and a culture that you don't like?

I'm from here, go to League of Ireland games, have been to a good few internationals, so not anti-Irish fans at all.

My sister is over at the Euros. Ireland Sweden was the first ever match she and her husband were at. They are now officially amongst "the best fans in the world", we as a family are ever so proud, especially as after this tournament she will never be at another game, so her rise has been miraculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Mr. Negative pops up again :rolleyes:

Always complaining about Ireland and the Irish on every post on every forum, you sound like a right laugh :rolleyes:

Are you from New Zealand as your name and pro All Blacks comments suggest? And if so, why do you continue to live amongst people and a culture that you don't like?

I live in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

'we changed a tyre and the English won't.....that's the difference'

Yes, I hate this shíte. The childish competitive thing, when we know that the vast, vast majority of English fans over there are well-behaved and likely every bit as helpful and courteous as the Irish.

I feel really sorry for any well-behaved English fans having everyone talk so much trash about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah . He should change HIS life to facilitate drunken foreigners

Here, stop crying for a second, it was a tongue-in-cheek opportunistic suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I live in France.

So why do you continuously moan about all things Irish on an Irish forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I'm from here, go to League of Ireland games, have been to a good few internationals, so not anti-Irish fans at all.

My sister is over at the Euros. Ireland Sweden was the first ever match she and her husband were at. They are now officially amongst "the best fans in the world", we as a family are ever so proud, especially as after this tournament she will never be at another game, so her rise has been miraculous!

So you basically have issues because your sister and her husband went to the game, had a great time but you couldn't?

Are only season ticket holders for teams allowed to support said teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The french dont have a sense of humour, I live with one and I'd say if she smiled her face would break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

'We're very good at "proving" we're the best fans in the world, but we're going overboard' - veteran Irish fan in France

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/were-very-good-at-proving-were-the-best-fans-in-the-world-but-were-going-overboard-veteran-irish-fan-in-france-34808163.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm sick of all the self congratulatory comments and videos I see everyday on my news feed/timeline/websites I look at. Self praise is no praise and all that.
    The videos I see reek of desperation of seeking approval and hoping to go viral. It's the same with the stupid slogans on the flags.
    But that's their way of supporting the team and fair play for putting down the money and following them, I just wish the whole "Aren't we a great bunch of lads" schtick would feck off

I've seen the odd witty slogan on flags. Some people have a skill for it. The problem is that most of us wouldn't be able to come up with something witty but that's not stopping people from trying, hence all the tacky, crude or plain nonsensical ones we've seen!

• Advertisement

So you basically have issues because your sister and her husband went to the game, had a great time but you couldn't?

Are only season ticket holders for teams allowed to support said teams?

Not at all. Who said I had issues with my sister going to the game?

Stop imagining points that were never made and read the post.

I'm delighted she's having a great time. And we're all delighted that she's now one of the best fans in the world in going to her first ever game. She has not given herself that title at all, Joe.ie and Balls.ie have given that to her, she never asked for it but she's got it. Don't you think it's a great achievement?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Social Media - A new global epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

that Waterford Whispers story is gas, worth quoting
    http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/06/17/irish-fans-rescue-kidnapped-schoolgirls-from-boko-haram/
    Irish Fans Rescue Kidnapped Schoolgirls From Boko Haram

UP TO 200 missing Nigerian schoolgirls have been freed after over two years in captivity, after a hundred or so Irish soccer fans swarmed into a Boko Haram camp with a few bags of cans and a flag bearing the hilarious slogan ‘down with this sort of thing’.

The Irish fans had been attending the Euro 2016 championship in France, but had set out on the voyage to free the kidnapped girls after running out of sound things to do between matches.

“Yeah, we had fixed a few spare tyres, danced with a few French cops, serenaded a bus full of convicted murderers. We were running out of ways to be gas” said Sean Hanley, who just loves the craic.

“People were losing interest in us. Joe.ie had gone nearly a full hour without posting a video titled ‘Check what these Irish fans did at Euro 2016’… so we said ‘**** it, let’s go free them schoolgirls'”.

A spokesperson for the ISIS spin-off said that the arrival of the Irish fans was unexpected, but that their friendliness and love of song charmed the terrorist group into handing over the 200 Chibok girls who they had been holding since raiding their school in April 2014.

“A sea of green descended into our camp, singing ‘let them schoolgirls go free, let them schoolgirls go free, la la la la. Hey! la la la la'” said Kevin Boko, former member of Boko Haram.

“They got right in the middle of us, all holding plastic pint glasses of beer, dancing and hugging us. One guy did the worm, it was fairly gas alright. We were initially going to cut their heads off and stick them on spikes throughout the jungle to let Western people know that they are not welcome here, but in the end we were having such a good time that we said go on ahead, the girls are out the back. One of the Irish guys gave me his jersey. ****ing legend”.

Buoyed by their success in Nigeria, the Best Fans In the World™ will now travel to Israel to sort out the conflict with Palestine before heading back to France for Saturday’s must-win clash with Belgium at the Nouveau Stade De Bordeaux.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

In fairness. Plenty were pointing out the crappy behavior of Irish fans over at the McGregor fight in Vegas.....it's good to see this time we don't have people getting taken off of flights, climbing on statues, being a complete pest to locals etc.

The picking up litter thing was a bit of a stretch. Nice to see but have you seen the state of cities in the country after a booze up? Maybe they are actually trying really hard to be good...which is commendable!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Im sure plenty of maggot acting but it wont get a mention

because i want to.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    In fairness. Plenty were pointing out the crappy behavior of Irish fans over at the McGregor fight in Vegas.....it's good to see this time we don't have people getting taken off of flights, climbing on statues, being a complete pest to locals etc.

The picking up litter thing was a bit of a stretch. Nice to see but have you seen the state of cities in the country after a booze up? Maybe they are actually trying really hard to be good...which is commendable!

i mentioned vegas earlier in thread.

another poster denied any of that happened.

proabably an offended mma fan.

Wompa1 wrote: »

McGregor is a lightning rod for skangers though.

That's not to say all his fans who I know are skangers...but all skangers that I know of are fans of his.

I'd much prefer the average Irish football fan that I know. Just they could tone down the bizarre fixation with what other people think of us. And that's not necessarily even a comment about the fans, but a comment about the likes of Joe.ie and Balls.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not at all. Who said I had issues with my sister going to the game?

Stop imagining points that were never made and read the post.

I'm delighted she's having a great time. And we're all delighted that she's now one of the best fans in the world in going to her first ever game. She has not given herself that title at all, Joe.ie and Balls.ie have given that to her, she never asked for it but she's got it. Don't you think it's a great achievement?

You just sound bitter at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

To be fair, my housemate went (had a great time) and said he saw a lot of that kind of carry on. The climbing on the statue and people getting kicked off flights stories were pretty widely covered in the news.

• Advertisement

Just they could tone down the bizarre fixation with what other people think of us. And that's not necessarily even a comment about the fans, but a comment about the likes of Joe.ie and Balls.ie.

As mentioned up-thread, according to balls.ie, questioning why we have this strange fixation on everyone liking us is too "cerebral". Heaven forbid! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Maireadio wrote: »
    As mentioned up-thread, according to balls.ie, questioning why we have this strange fixation on everyone liking us is too "cerebral". Heaven forbid! :D

Celebral, do Kellogg's make that.? :)

Celebral, do Kellogg's make that.? :)

Yeah, it's nice enough. A bit dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm living in Phoenix. Going to Vegas for the weekend is a common thing here. Had a former co-worker who was in Vegas during the McGregor fight. He wasn't too impressed with the behavior and that's saying something....it's pretty bad when you can stand out as a nuisance in Las Vegas! But then American drunk and Irish drunk are two very different things, as I've learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Excluding the English and Russian, every set of fans is probably having a great time out in France, and are a credit to their nations.

Maybe the difference is that the Irish do more 'silly' or attention grabbing things? And maybe that's because we are more drunk than other sets of fans? I'm sure if one of us went and spent the day with the Icelandic fans or the Swedes or the Welsh, we'd have a great days craic too and come away saying 'they are fantastic people ', it's just we seem to have to go the extra bit to get the recognition.

If it is down to the drink, then is it really a thing we should be boasting about?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Fans taking it upon themselves to maintain our reputation of non troublemakers is far from being obsessed with being liked.

What's wrong with being liked anyway? I'm Irish, my general attitude is "its nice to be nice" most people I know have a similar outlook.

Wouldn't it be a much nicer stereotype for Irish people to have, fun loving revellers... Sounds a lot better than a bunch of drunken micks.

Why play up to any stereotype at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Deedsie wrote: »
    We are obviously hearing more about the Irish hijinks because we are in Ireland. im sure the Welsh, English, Norhern Irish have videos of their own.

I'm sure joe.co.uk & balls.co.uk has it covered :pac:

Doubt they have as many.

I'd much prefer the team to actually win a game.or two than get the award for the best fans of the tournament, again.

The latest story, a couple have their honeymoon at the euros.

That's fair enough you'd think, chances are at least one other couple from some country is doing the same, it's just that these 2 attention seeking bores felt the need to write this across a tricolour to tell us all, such was their need for attention.

At least they got their 15 mins of fame, I hope they enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

NIMAN wrote: »
    The latest story, a couple have their honeymoon at the euros.

That's fair enough you'd think, chances are at least one other couple from some country is doing the same, it's just that these 2 attention seeking bores felt the need to write this across a tricolour to tell us all, such was their need for attention.

At least they got their 15 mins of fame, I hope they enjoy it.

Ah **** it! Just enjoy the fact that lots of Irish weddings will be completely messed up tomorrow due to the 2pm kick off. I'd say there will be massive Bridezilla moments as the church is half empty or nobody has any interest in the photos because everyone wants to see the game. If we are beaten, the mood will be ****e. If we get a result, its ole ole ole and who gives a **** about Sorcha and her stupid wedding!

Advertisement