Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

great win for sri lanka in the cricket. malahide will be buzzing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

poa wrote: »
    Is Ireland competing in something other than rugby at the moment?

Rugby is a singularly skill-less sport that consists of private-school boys running into each other until someone makes a mistake.

I don't even like soccer but rugby is truly unwatchable for normal people. Tactics just don't exist in it at all so it becomes rapidly tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

nehe milner skudder is a poor troll.

Let's all let this thread die by ignoring it.

After this post.
    mod: Come on now, you know well to report if you think someone is being a troll instead of calling them out on thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Tombi! wrote: »
    mod: Come on now, you know well to report if you think someone is being a troll instead of calling them out on thread

You're right, sorry, will go through the proper channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Two Tone wrote: »
    The people who criticise them for being good natured though tend to be the same who criticise Sinn Fein day in day out - a good natured bunch of Irish people internationally is surely a preferable alternative to the shadow SF cast on Ireland.

Huh? I'm struggling to understand your point here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Rugby is a singularly skill-less sport that consists of private-school boys running into each other until someone makes a mistake.

I don't even like soccer but rugby is truly unwatchable for normal people. Tactics just don't exist in it at all so it becomes rapidly tedious.

Now let's be honest, that's not quite accurate. I'm not an egg-ball fan but to say it's "skill-less" is just mindless hyperbole. I'd love to see (nope, would not) how I'd perform trying to feed a ball along the line while some 17-ish stone lad is trying to stop me (perhaps I don't feed it along, maybe I make a run for it????). Somewhere in there lies some of the skill of the game. "Tactics just don't exist" honestly want to make me press the troll button. . .

yes , it affects it well . Irish-Americans love SF, The UK's favorite Irish party is Sinn Fein, same in South Africa - SF campainged against Aparthied & the IRA even helped the ANC's armed wing in a operation, Palestinians love SF & plenty of other places.

Ah ha ha ha.

You should get on to Joe.ie. They print that stuff. Mexican loves hurling! Springsteen loves Ireland! Everyone loves our fans! Palestinians love Sinn Fein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

yes , it affects it well . Irish-Americans love SF, The UK's favorite Irish party is Sinn Fein, same in South Africa - SF campainged against Aparthied & the IRA even helped the ANC's armed wing in a operation, Palestinians love SF & plenty of other places.

Words escape me at this moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

theteal wrote: »
    Now let's be honest, that's not quite accurate. I'm not an egg-ball fan but to say it's "skill-less" is just mindless hyperbole. I'd love to see (nope, would not) how I'd perform trying to feed a ball along the line while some 17-ish stone lad is trying to stop me (perhaps I don't feed it along, maybe I make a run for it????). Somewhere in there lies some of the skill of the game. "Tactics just don't exist" honestly want to make me press the troll button. . .

So basically you'd be afraid of the big private school lad running into you so you'd probably make a mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Maireadio wrote: »
    Huh? I'm struggling to understand your point here.

Whingers going to whinge....they'll always find something to moan about??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Whingers going to whinge....they'll always find something to moan about??
    Shur I explained what I meant in a number of posts after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

all very quiet here today...

s8n wrote: »
    all very quiet here today...

the results have derailed the green machine.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

ken early says belgian fans were better. more punctual, louder, passionate.in greater numbers.

from 33 mins if you don't believe me.

late to the stadium as all in the pub ( the real reason they are there)

beaten on the pitch and in the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

we're grading on "punctuality" now???? ffs

BBDBB wrote: »

well if the game is the thing the " best fans " watch then turning up in time for the start of it would be fairly standard criteria.

but it isn't their priority.

getting instagram pics out side scruffy murphys with the boys is the priority.

twitter updates saying " two more sleeps" to garner likes. thats the priority.

actually being at the stadium in time for the team as they walk out. nahhh. I'm finishing my pint joxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I was in Paris and I left for the stadium over 2 hours before kickoff and I was nearly late because of a) the amount of people going to the match b) the french weren't that well prepared for the match in terms of transport

If they werent that well prepared in Paris, i can imagine the mess down in Bordeaux was worse.

You heard it here first though, real fans turn up to the stadium 3 hours before the match :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

People take football way too seriously, que sera, sera, tournaments like Euro 2016 only exist because of the fans and the fan fare surrounding them, Football fandom is not a 'thing' there is no competition for the best fans. Who cares if fans sing whenw e are losing? The world will go on if Ireland get knocked out in the first round or win the thing, it is not that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm off to Cabinteely's ground on Friday. I'll put up some tweets here and send some videos to joe.ie for everybody to look at.

joe.ie will be delighted I'd say.

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm off to Cabinteely's ground on Friday. I'll put up some tweets here and send some videos to joe.ie for everybody to look at.

drink 20 cans on the street ,piss in peoples gardens, shout loudly after curfew and see how long it takes for the southsiders to have you arrested.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »

In the game here?

Not. A. Chance.

You know the topics are limited to...

1. What foreigners think of hurling

2. Gas Irish fans with our divillment...and what foreigners think of them

3. Conor McGregor...and what foreigners think of him

4. Some famous foreigner (like Bruce Springsteen) loves us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Ah ha ha ha.

You should get on to Joe.ie. They print that stuff. Mexican loves hurling!

Which in reality mean that they scoured Twitter for mentions of #hurling and found one solitary, throwaway mention from somebody in another country about the game. :D
    Two Tone wrote: »
    Shur I explained what I meant in a number of posts after it.

Yes, it still made no sense. Some tenuous link to opposing republician... or something?

Well, we were being graded on cleanliness early in the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BejayusBejayus

I Thinks it's the Media pushing that's pushing the narrative That we are the greatest fans in the world more than the fans themselves
    Anyway we are awesome fans win or lose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

why does this surprise you? irrespective of the sport or nationality fans get slated all the time for arriving in minutes before a game begins so they can maximise their drinking time. it's a fair enough criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

yeah?

Nah!

why does this surprise you? irrespective of the sport or nationality fans get slated all the time for arriving in minutes before a game begins so they can maximise their drinking time. it's a fair enough criticism.

correct

correct

No its not a reasonable case to assert.

It assumes
    1) That all fans drink before games, they don't. Some do. Some don't.

2) That all fans have an exact knowledge of how to get to a ground, from different starting points and via either private or public transport when they cannot control the timings of public transport or their journey timing. Both of which can be adversely affected by weather conditions, road conditions, volume of traffic, any road or rail network maintenance, car parking availability, security measures etc
    3) That all security at the venue is a turnstile where you roll through it at any pace you like, and are simply waived through. That's only true if everyone complies with regulations, doesn't engage in suspicious dress or behaviour that requires closer scrutiny and that the event security are knowledgeable, professional and courteous, if they aren't then the process is delayed

sounds more like you are looking to have a pop at some fans (whose antics are annoying you) lumping them all in together and creating strawmen to rail against

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Only in Ireland could this topic have 50 pages of discussion.

Only in Ireland could this topic have 50 pages of discussion.

Its totally bizarre, if you are bored/irritated by this aspect of how the media is portraying irish fans, its incredibly easy to avoid, don't click on the links on websites, don't read the articles in newspapers and switch over/off if its on TV.

One of the major advantages of the power TV has over sporting coverage is that kick off times are pretty much dead on. If you feel that there might be a bit of "craic" being had that the pundits might comment upon in the build up to the game, that might annoy you, just wait until one minute to go to kick off, you wont miss a thing I promise you

• Advertisement

Its totally bizarre, if you are bored/irritated by this aspect of how the media is portraying irish fans, its incredibly easy to avoid, don't click on the links on websites, don't read the articles in newspapers and switch over/off if its on TV.

One of the major advantages of the power TV has over sporting coverage is that kick off times are pretty much dead on. If you feel that there might be a bit of "craic" being had that the pundits might comment upon in the build up to the game, that might annoy you, just wait until one minute to go to kick off, you wont miss a thing I promise you

And likewise you can ignore the thread. You are commenting on how it's reached 50 pages, yet here you are participating in it.

You are annoyed that we are annoyed with the fans .

Don't click in the thread. Easily avoidable . After 50 pages you know the narrative so best probably to avoid it.

Advertisement